Honda wave oversized rims / tyres

I am buying a wave 125i from a mate who bought it for his girlfriend about a year ago - she is now getting his PCX :-)

I am keen on two mods for the bike, upgraded rear shocks and oversized rims & tyres.

Does anyone know the best place to take it in the Pattaya area? I would also appreciate any advice on costs & tyre size / make options.

I'm also thinking about upgrading the front disk, so any advice here would be welcome.

This is going to be my shopping bike & will hopefully be getting a CB500X in the future to do a bit of touring.

Oh, when she chose the bike she went for the non-electric start option. I'm not too fussed, but is a starter a retro fit option?

Edited by BaldPlumber

Sounds like a fun project.

Pompooey tires look really cool and ride smoother.

A myriad of shops offer these products.

Have fun shopping around.

I look forward to forum responses.

I've wondered about the retrofit of e-start before, but have never seen it done.

E-starts cost 3000baht more at the dealers

Attached is a chart that you may find useful.

I'm a big fan of Michelin Pilot Street tires.

Happy hunting.

post-174911-0-07051300-1394586095_thumb.

Edited by papa al

Aluminium rims are very common just get them respoked to the original hubs. From memory but it's getting a bit faint 2.5" on the front and three on the rear. You will probably find there is only one choice for widerwink.png and I used a 100/80 Battlax BT-39SS production race tire on the front, because I found "one" in a bike shop. On the rear I bought what I could find , in Indonesia, an IRC

I cannot say where in Pattaya as I bought most of my stuff, that I could fit in a suitcase or a golf bag, in Rayong. But the basket i did buy in Pattaya on a subsequent trip at the Honda dealer in Naklua.

Best bet is to find a bunch of motocy taxi guys and using pantomime Thai or photos get them to take you to some accessory shops.

Memory not 100% but I still have a photo.

KICX0009.jpg

Edited by VocalNeal

To add to the above to convert to electric start. If there is no provision on the crankcase for fitting a starter like there didn't used to be on a Wave 100 non electric. You'll need a complete engine tear down a new crankcase half, a new left side cover, a starter motor, a starter clutch and chain, the relay, some wiring mods and a handlebar switch.

I looked at one of these from close, rear rim must have been 2.75" o 3" and the tire, probably the wider one they could find and fit without grinding parts off, had an horrible squared profile. All the nice roundness you want to make ground contact when leaning was gone, driving that bike must be unpleasant and dangerous.

Compare to the fashion madness of 10 years ago when one out of two bikes had the ridiculous skinny 'rage' rims and tires.

Thais just go for whatever motor fashion is there and accessible to them, without any understanding of what is what and why. Seeing (better educated ?) foreigners to do the same is just ridiculous.

Edited by paz

OT

had an horrible squared profile. All the nice roundness you want to make ground contact when leaning was gone, driving that bike must be unpleasant and dangerous.

There is a group of guys called Darksiders in the US who have been running car tires on the back of their cruisers since way back when. The apparently suffer no loss of control or grip.

Just sayinwhistling.gif

They do that because a car tire is 1/3 the price of the uniquely sized goldwing tires. Many have a sidecar and all corner very cautiosly. You can search for the very often requoted write-up that shows visually how poorly a car tire seals the lip of a M/C rim. At least when stretching an m/c tire on m/c rims that doesn't happen.

Edited by paz

OT

had an horrible squared profile. All the nice roundness you want to make ground contact when leaning was gone, driving that bike must be unpleasant and dangerous.

There is a group of guys called Darksiders in the US who have been running car tires on the back of their cruisers since way back when. The apparently suffer no loss of control or grip.

Just sayinwhistling.gif

While going straight only of course!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I looked at one of these from close, rear rim must have been 2.75" o 3" and the tire, probably the wider one they could find and fit without grinding parts off, had an horrible squared profile. All the nice roundness you want to make ground contact when leaning was gone, driving that bike must be unpleasant and dangerous.

Compare to the fashion madness of 10 years ago when one out of two bikes had the ridiculous skinny 'rage' rims and tires.

Thais just go for whatever motor fashion is there and accessible to them, without any understanding of what is what and why. Seeing (better educated ?) foreigners to do the same is just ridiculous.

Thanks. As far as I am concerned my proposed upgrades increase the safety of the bike. YSS shocks, decent tyres etc all contribute.

Thanks for all the replies, I think I know where I'm headed now.

Sent from my IQ 5.6 using Tapatalk

OT

Just sayinwhistling.gif

OT again sorry. But some people need to get out more!

OT

Just sayinwhistling.gif

OT again sorry. But some people need to get out more!

sorry but it is plain stupidity to put a car tire to a motorbike, isnt it?whistling.gif

they are not designed to use on bikes that is why they call them car tire. Besides, you will lose some acceleration.

so, what next? Putting a plane tire to a motorbike? or putting a bike tire to a car?

what is the reason? just to be a darkrider?

Edited by ll2

BaldPlumber I added YSS shocks & michelin tires to our Wave 125i

Very nice improvements both.

No real need for wider tires than the Michelins actually but your call.

also as others said if your case is for a starter then you could add one but I doubt it will be.

On the other hand the Wave 125i starts in half a kick if all is well. So you wont miss it either

Mine has an elec start but I have used the kicker & it is always 1 kick start

Check out this thread for spec on shocks & tires

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/648777-yss-shocksmichelin-ties-in-chiang-mai/

Thanks. As far as I am concerned my proposed upgrades increase the safety of the bike. YSS shocks, decent tyres etc all contribute.

Thanks for all the replies, I think I know where I'm headed now.

Upgrade to the next size on original rims is all you may want, even better get mag wheels and tubeless tires, no more ripped-off valvles when going over speedbumps.

Mania

Really useful ~ thanks very much :-)

No problem BP

By the way I do not know why the pics on that thread went missing

but here is the pics again of the Michelin M45 & M62 tread patterns

M45

post-82547-0-29119400-1394620719_thumb.j

M62

post-82547-0-88325000-1394620732_thumb.j

Edited by mania

yes instead od shitty chinese tires, get michelins for sure.

i think one rim size up and stronger shocks are way to go for a better wave especially for big farang on bumpy roads like mania said.

i still use 3 years old stock sized tires with f.cked up shocks and it still goes though

i think one rim size up and stronger shocks are way to go for a better wave especially for big farang on bumpy roads like mania said.

i still use 3 years old stock sized tires with f.cked up shocks and it still goes though

Actually even if your not big as I am 79kg & my wife maybe 47kg

But the shocks much better than stock for dampening & rebound is slower.

Also I do not have them cranked up for preload at all.

Plenty to spare if ever a heavier rider used this type shock on this bike.

You know for a bike this size I think these Michelin's are great & would not load

the bike down with wider rims/tires. I do not think it will gain anything better cornering or traction wise.

Edited by mania

Actually even if your not big as I am 79kg & my wife maybe 47kg

But the shocks much better than stock for dampening & rebound is slower.

Also I do not have them cranked up for preload at all.

Plenty to spare if ever a heavier rider used this type shock on this bike.

You know for a bike this size I think these Michelin's are great & would not load

the bike down with wider rims/tires. I do not think it will gain anything better cornering or traction wise.

exactly, wider rims will not give you much benefit on cornering or traction side but the bike will be a stronger with bigger tires and rims to carry things or for workhorse use.

if you use your wave just for the occasional ride to the market or to buy beer, no need for bigger rims or tires.

sorry but it is plain stupidity to put a car tire to a motorbike, isnt it?whistling.gif

they are not designed to use on bikes that is why they call them car tire. Besides, you will lose some acceleration.

so, what next? Putting a plane tire to a motorbike? or putting a bike tire to a car?

what is the reason? just to be a darkrider?

Hi,

Don't know but there are 720 bike/tyre combinations from users on their website and their forum as 7900+ members.

Given that golfers play golf because they don't have enough imagination to ride bikes, it is refreshing to find people thinking outside the box.

• 1 year later...