Bt2tn bill ruled unconstitutional

webfact

nice to see all you guys liking thailand being held back, this loan was to improve infrastructure within the country and just like any other country, they would have to borrow to enable the development...i guess bar stool judgement wins approval here

Personally I feel sorry for all those poor commuters in ChiangMai who really needed this high-speed link to Bangkok, according to a Pheu Thai minister that was.

Furthermore I wonder what we'll do with all those Thai traditional lunch boxes which were selected for use in the high-speed trains. Maybe a special TAT organised event to sell them to foreigners departing Suvannabhum? I'm afraid Ms. Yingluck may be in tears again, she was so happy with those lunch boxes.

You and many others on this thread seem to have overlooked the fact that the infrastructure package including the high speed train link is fully supported by the Democrat leadership.It is the method of financing they object to (so say they say) though their administration also used off budget funding methods.

Of course the Constitutional Court decision is actually very little to do with high speed trains, and much more about political goals of the old orded.Long predicted and part of the campaign of sedition against the government.Judicial activism is now the main tool of the unelected elites with the likely eclipse of Suthep's mobsters and the unwillingness of the army to play ball (so far anyway).

you seem to overlook that the Democrat party led coalition government under Abhisit was already working on high-speed train ideas, only to see all scrapped by the new government.

Furthermore you seem to overlook that part of the infrastructure budget seemed to include activities and therefor money normally found in the yearly National Budget. Like the rice scam, just trying to avoid parliamentary scrutiny.

As for the rest, the usual denigrating remarks. BTW although you had the 'unelected elites' you missed out mentioning 'fascists' rolleyes.gif

Truth hurts.My comments are accurate as I suspect you well know.Having said that there is nothing amiss with the opposition taking the government on with regard to the best method of funding,and to be fair Khun Korn has done some excellent work here.The Constitutional Court ruling is not interested in this and is mainly designed to frustrate democracy; the infrastructure programme is beyond its comprehension.

I'm not sure why you introduce the subject of fascists.Why are they relevant to this subject? But the overall attack on democracy by the CC is beyond dispute.

However the damage has been done and this ruling is a major set back for the very necessary improvement of infrastructure

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

agreed it is BIZARRE

don't like a party - ban it

don't like an ELECTED governments economics - rule it unconstitutional

don't like a politician - 5 year ban

probably next:

don't like an election result - overturn it

all 'unbiased' rulings of course wai.gif

Its not that the spending goes away. Its that it got all the way through the parliamwnt and the senate and then gets vetoed.

This patently shows that the constitution is NOT doing its job.

and yet and yet the Dems never had a problem with their own 1.25 trillion baht program from the courts?

I wonder why?

Unfortunately for them they never got the chance to spend all that money thankfully

but ... but ... but the Dem's

I would assume the opposition at that time didn't do it's job.

BTW I've been told over and over again that the 1.24 billion special budget the Democrat party led coalition government was 'spent' with massive suggestions it was more-or-less lost. If you feel that they didn't have time to properly spent the money, could you please share your source of information? wai.gif

Truth is there is precious little to show for Abhisit's party's 1.24 billion special budget is there?

There was something about dust free roads but no expenditure was indicated for flood prevention of course.

Clearly the compliant thai press never bothered to investigate where the funding went.

nice to see all you guys liking thailand being held back, this loan was to improve infrastructure within the country and just like any other country, they would have to borrow to enable the development...i guess bar stool judgement wins approval here

Bullsh:t! Why can't the loan and disbursement go through normal parliamentary scrutiny?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Amazing. The senate passes something but a court can rescind it.

Isn't this in itself somehow unconstitutional. Might as well submit everything to a court for approval. I think the.spending is maybe unnecessary in scale. But what is the point of parliament and the senate.

What do you think the Constitution Court's role is? It's a checks and balances function. But Thai Rouge doesn't like that. In their simple minds you can do what you want if you win the election.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

So the train comes down from China through Lao. Passengers disembark at the thai border. Get on the perfectly adequate (according to one of the judges) gravel road. Board the bus,tuk tul, whatever and are driven through Thailand down to the malaysian border where they can rejoin their train.

A perfect thai solution.

Do we really need to build the high speed train to discover that Joe Average can't afford a ticket?

• Like 1

Thank you court for the ruling on a Wednesday!! Obviously the money was going into the wrong pockets - so it was easy to guess that the court would "redirect" the trillions to the people who will be in government after the judicial coup - trimmed down a bit to satisfy the blind - but it will still be around 1.3 -1.5 trillion enough to fill the greedy pockets.

Why a court would rule on a Wednesday on such an important bill - brings me to the conclusion that some people in the know - made a lot of money today - being so obvious how the ruling would go I made a killing today on the FX!!!

• Like 1

Thank you court for the ruling on a Wednesday!! Obviously the money was going into the wrong pockets - so it was easy to guess that the court would "redirect" the trillions to the people who will be in government after the judicial coup - trimmed down a bit to satisfy the blind - but it will still be around 1.3 -1.5 trillion enough to fill the greedy pockets.

Why a court would rule on a Wednesday on such an important bill - brings me to the conclusion that some people in the know - made a lot of money today - being so obvious how the ruling would go I made a killing today on the FX!!!

Who ?

Personally I feel sorry for all those poor commuters in ChiangMai who really needed this high-speed link to Bangkok, according to a Pheu Thai minister that was.

Furthermore I wonder what we'll do with all those Thai traditional lunch boxes which were selected for use in the high-speed trains. Maybe a special TAT organised event to sell them to foreigners departing Suvannabhum? I'm afraid Ms. Yingluck may be in tears again, she was so happy with those lunch boxes.

You and many others on this thread seem to have overlooked the fact that the infrastructure package including the high speed train link is fully supported by the Democrat leadership.It is the method of financing they object to (so say they say) though their administration also used off budget funding methods.

Of course the Constitutional Court decision is actually very little to do with high speed trains, and much more about political goals of the old orded.Long predicted and part of the campaign of sedition against the government.Judicial activism is now the main tool of the unelected elites with the likely eclipse of Suthep's mobsters and the unwillingness of the army to play ball (so far anyway).

you seem to overlook that the Democrat party led coalition government under Abhisit was already working on high-speed train ideas, only to see all scrapped by the new government.

Furthermore you seem to overlook that part of the infrastructure budget seemed to include activities and therefor money normally found in the yearly National Budget. Like the rice scam, just trying to avoid parliamentary scrutiny.

As for the rest, the usual denigrating remarks. BTW although you had the 'unelected elites' you missed out mentioning 'fascists' rolleyes.gif

Truth hurts.My comments are accurate as I suspect you well know.Having said that there is nothing amiss with the opposition taking the government on with regard to the best method of funding,and to be fair Khun Korn has done some excellent work here.The Constitutional Court ruling is not interested in this and is mainly designed to frustrate democracy; the infrastructure programme is beyond its comprehension.

I'm not sure why you introduce the subject of fascists.Why are they relevant to this subject? But the overall attack on democracy by the CC is beyond dispute.

However the damage has been done and this ruling is a major set back for the very necessary improvement of infrastructure

It's seldom your remarks are accurate or very factual, my dear boy.

The truth seems that some regard the ruling of the CC as an affront to good and proper Pheu Thai order apart from bringing Ms. Yingluck to tears again. My remark on 'fascists' was just sarcastic, you normally like to use those meaningless catchphrases to 'describe' the others. The 'overall attack on democracy' is not dispute with a government controlled and ordered around by a criminal fugitive abroad. But even that has nothing to do with the CC ruling that the government didn't follow the correct procedures in their hurry to get their hands on extra money.

No damage has been done, apart from the 240 million or so to promote the extra parliamentary budget. Now all those activities normally in the National Budget can be put back there. Like double tracking which was planned years ago to be gradually done.

• Like 2

and yet and yet the Dems never had a problem with their own 1.25 trillion baht program from the courts?

I wonder why?

Unfortunately for them they never got the chance to spend all that money thankfully

but ... but ... but the Dem's

I would assume the opposition at that time didn't do it's job.

BTW I've been told over and over again that the 1.24 billion special budget the Democrat party led coalition government was 'spent' with massive suggestions it was more-or-less lost. If you feel that they didn't have time to properly spent the money, could you please share your source of information? wai.gif

Truth is there is precious little to show for Abhisit's party's 1.24 billion special budget is there?

There was something about dust free roads but no expenditure was indicated for flood prevention of course.

Clearly the compliant thai press never bothered to investigate where the funding went.

truth is that for some simple speculation on the Democrats seems preferable over a too close look at the 2 trillion Baht special funds the Yingluck government was trying to keep out of parliamentary scrutiny.

Earth to some forever, earth calling, do you hear me?

There is no budget, there will be no 2.2 trillion to be borrowed. Therefor there is no money to be diverted.

As for the last assumption, please elaborate, share your knowledge with us lesser beings. Why do you come to that conclusion?

Earth to some forever, earth calling, do you hear me?

There is no budget, there will be no 2.2 trillion to be borrowed. Therefor there is no money to be diverted.

As for the last assumption, please elaborate, share your knowledge with us lesser beings. Why do you come to that conclusion?

now after a court takes away 2 trillion earmarked for infrastructure in a country - which way would you have thought the Thai Baht would go ??? Up??

With a single body making a decision on such an important matter to the countries economy why would they do it on a Wednesday in the middle of the trading week?? Rulings like this are announced on a Friday AFTER the markets close as they will clearly impact stock markets and currency markets. Remember you can also bet on equities going down?

But there are still some people on here who think this is about democracy and reforms!

The court and the people who "direct" it know already who will fill the vacuum after this government is ousted in a judicial coup - since the military is not stepping in - they will then pass budgets and borrowing let me guess in the 1.3 -1.5 trillion range - the money will flow away from the corrupt PT back to the corrupt "elite" where it belongs.

This was always about the money - or did you really think Suthep and Co. are up on stage there every day because they are such good and honest people??? Did you think really a gangster will become a saint overnight?

• Like 2

Isn't this in itself somehow unconstitutional. Might as well submit everything to a court for approval. I think the.spending is maybe unnecessary in scale. But what is the point of parliament and the senate.

Whats the matter with you? All laws passed by parliament must conform to the constitution (which this wasteful borrowing spree didn't) That stops a government with an overall majority from passing any law it pleases ( like,staying in power for ever,no more voting, every member of government gets a 100% wage rise a month etc.)
So how come the senate didn't do its job? This is the senates job to request a judicial verdict on the thing, not pass it and then rescind it.

Of course, the system got thaiified from the british system where by the house of lords is the highest court.

Even that is a little bit democratic. No I the thai way, we must have a court outside the parliament and the senate that can second guess everything.

how is the house of lords a court.....your confused with reality young sir,you been gone too long..

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Not at all. Supreme/constitutional/high courts the world over often rule on the consititutionality of laws passed and actions taken by a legislature. Happens in the US and happens in Australia. There are lots of good reasons for not allowing the executive or legislative branches of government to have the final say on the constitutionality of their actions.
Which laws have been deemed unconstitutional in these countries recently? On a federal or national level?

According to google US Surpreme court has overturned 158 acts of congress between 1789 and 2002. Recently the Australian High Court overturned gay marriage legistlation passed by the A.C.T. legislature.

...But the overall attack on democracy by the CC is beyond dispute...

Why? Because you say so? Get a grip.

• Like 1

Accountability, transparency and parliamentary oversight? Nice buzzwords but since when have these ideals existed under any administration in a scandal a second country like Thailand.

OK, the bill is dead. The consequences to PTP are still unclear but not good.

If there is one thing that is in drastic need of reform in Thailand is the judiciary. The way responsibilities are divided leads to decisions that are counter-intuitive. For instance, the CC set aside the SOE because of the demonstrators right under the Constitution to protest without looking at the criminal behavior in which the protestors had engaged by blocking the elections, occupying government buildings, turning off power, etc. Why? Well, that's because that's the job of the Criminal Courts. Absolute insanity.

Now that the CC has accepted the referral from the Ombudsman on the validity of the elections, I can see the writing on the wall. The CC will review the elections on 'procedural' issues only and not look at why the elections were delayed, etc., because that's the job of the criminal court. Ipso facto, the elections will be ruled void. Lesson for all Thais - you can be a criminal as long as you act 'constitutionally'.

Things will only get worse under such an irrational system -- and I don't care who is in power.

Who ?

Take a wild guess.

Accountability, transparency and parliamentary oversight? Nice buzzwords but since when have these ideals existed under any administration in a scandal a second country like Thailand.

If there is one thing that is in drastic need of reform in Thailand is the judiciary. The way responsibilities are divided leads to decisions that are counter-intuitive. For instance, the CC set aside the SOE because of the demonstrators right under the Constitution to protest without looking at the criminal behavior in which the protestors had engaged by blocking the elections, occupying government buildings, turning off power, etc. Why? Well, that's because that's the job of the Criminal Courts. Absolute insanity.

Now that the CC has accepted the referral from the Ombudsman on the validity of the elections, I can see the writing on the wall. The CC will review the elections on 'procedural' issues only and not look at why the elections were delayed, etc., because that's the job of the criminal court. Ipso facto, the elections will be ruled void. Lesson for all Thais - you can be a criminal as long as you act 'constitutionally'.

Things will only get worse under such an irrational system -- and I don't care who is in power.

I have a simple, one-step plan for resolving the problems that any government can follow: Stop breaking the law.

• Like 2

I have a simple, one-step plan for resolving the problems that any government can follow: Stop breaking the law.

I'm sorry -- but are we living on the same planet?

Who ?

Take a wild guess.

Why ? you should tell me who the bogey man is .It is your duty to save all TV members souls please please tell smile.png

It's the major parties that need reform. You wouldn't even feed these guys.

Who ?

Take a wild guess.

Why ? you should tell me who the bogey man is .It is your duty to save all TV members souls please please tell smile.png

You are so dumb.

Who ?

Take a wild guess.

Evaluate the evidence for yourself and find your own bogeyman. It's not brain surgery.

I'm sorry -- but are we living on the same planet?

If observing the law is too hard, I'll settle for not complaining when court decisions go against you.