Target the breeding ground of corruption: Thai editorial

webfact

The Thai press is making corruption a lead story all of a sudden. What rock have they been hiding under? It's great that the Thai press finally got around to leading this issue. Now all they need is a few capable writers and editors.

• Like 1

I don't think there has been any increase in corruption as is indicated in the article, it is just that more attention has been drawn to the underlying trend in the country by the recent protests and the war of words between the two groups.

With the addition of the fishermen's plight, animal trafficking, etc being brought to the fore and associated with corruption, that'll do the point scoring no good at all.

Nothing will change by itself, but where do you start making the change? $64,000 question!

Before we all get too excited, I'd like to pose a couple of snap shot questions.

If you were in a position of absolute power and closely connected to those in a similar position, and this gave you carte blanche to do whatever you wanted, would you stop?

If you were skimming off money every month because of your shady activities - knowing that your 'connections' or position gave you protection from the law - , would you stop?

If you had to pay for your next position in the civil service - knowing that you would reap financial and other benefits in the future, would you say no?

If you were on the payroll of someone with power and influence and received a tidy sum every month, would you stop?

If you had to pay your child's school to ensure they got in or passed their exams, would you say no?

Would you take a moral and ethical stand and say no more to the insidious and cancerous influence of corruption and the Thai patronage system, knowing full well what the consequences might be?

The issue of corruption in Thailand is a moral and ethical minefield, and I don't think it's going to explode anytime soon.

Edited by arthurboy
  • Like 2

I don't think there has been any increase in corruption as is indicated in the article, it is just that more attention has been drawn to the underlying trend in the country by the recent protests and the war of words between the two groups.

With the addition of the fishermen's plight, animal trafficking, etc being brought to the fore and associated with corruption, that'll do the point scoring no good at all.

Nothing will change by itself, but where do you start making the change? $64,000 question!

Sure it has increased just as the latest World Corruption Index stated. Articles everyday in the media about corrupt officials. Heck, even Yinluck is not taking any responsibility for the recent Constitutional Court rulings that have went against the govt for being unconstitutional (like tossing out the Bt2T borrowing bill that would have funded a decade of new-and-improved corruption)....she's blaming others for the wrongdoings. Corruption in Thailand has gotten worst.

BANGKOK: -- Thailand suffered another blow when it slipped in the latest World Corruption Index (2013), scoring just 35 points out of 100 to rank 102 of 177 nations. Corruption is old news here, of course, but the plunge is worrying given that it indicates a steady increase in the number of graft cases.

Start in the schools. Demonize those corrupt leaders in society whether in government or business or the military or police. Education education education.

You are absolutely correct. The culture is created in the minds of the students at school.

But will never happen, this MOE is worse than when the previous PM was in power. Not stagnate but going backwards.

• Like 1

Before we all get too excited, I'd like to pose a couple of snap shot questions.

If you were in a position of absolute power and closely connected to those in a similar position, and this gave you carte blanche to do whatever you wanted, would you stop?

If you were skimming off money every month because of your shady activities - knowing that your 'connections' or position gave you protection from the law - , would you stop?

If you had to pay for your next position in the civil service - knowing that you would reap financial and other benefits in the future, would you say no?

If you were on the payroll of someone with power and influence and received a tidy sum every month, would you stop?

If you had to pay your child's school to ensure they got in or passed their exams, would you say no?

Would you take a moral and ethical stand and say no more to the insidious and cancerous influence of corruption and the Thai patronage system, knowing full well what the consequences might be?

The issue of corruption in Thailand is a moral and ethical minefield, and I don't think it's going to explode anytime soon.

Thats probably better phrased with "why or would they".... and its nope theres not a chance of them stopping, No more than bankers would refuse any bonuses when they lose money or anyone refuse a payrise or free benefits....its endemic, perfectly natural, done without thought and most westerners just dont get it. They like it that way, all of them to some degree, they dont like it when others do it but ahhhh when its about themselves theres always an excuse to turn that blind eye... its automatic.

Isnt anything going to change for a long . lonnnnnnng time on that score here, no matter what the indignant and talking heads say... its only not ok when its someone else, I dont know anyone here, not one, who dosnt engage in corruption at some level either in business or in daily life... not one and that includes me and all the rest here. Its impossible not to.

Waits for the saints to come marching in .......

Edited by englishoak
  • Like 1

"but only if they block self-serving politicians from high office'

This requires a person of the caliber of Pol Pot, to make sure the job gets done.

But it won't happen here under the protecting shield of moral standards called "thainess" a cheap excuse for anything that goes wrong and a subject farrangs are incapable to understand anyway.

Depends if I were a real Buddhist.

Or just a Thai fake.

• Like 2

Since Dubai regime taking over corruption was the way to control the whole system by giving sweets away but the disease follow are huge, someone more concern about cutting the forest to gain profits but doesn't care what destruction on the planet and he too have to depend the forest because the oxygen, same as corruptions it 's turn back to hurt this country the the whole system.

Start in the schools. Demonize those corrupt leaders in society whether in government or business or the military or police. Education education education.

You are absolutely correct. The culture is created in the minds of the students at school.

But will never happen, this MOE is worse than when the previous PM was in power. Not stagnate but going backwards.

The truth hurts.

Target the breeding ground ? that'll be schools then.

Add to that the family home, from toddler to school--------------learning right and wrong. problem not many homes care -or do not know themselves.

Thats why I said schools, they wont get it at home for both the reasons you mentioned, its going to take at least a generation or two to fix. Probably more.... Education education education... not the degree type just the right and moral type.

• Like 2

Add to that the family home, from toddler to school--------------learning right and wrong. problem not many homes care -or do not know themselves.

Thats why I said schools, they wont get it at home for both the reasons you mentioned, its going to take at least a generation or two to fix. Probably more.... Education education education... not the degree type just the right and moral type.

I read into your thinking, my post was to agree with you and it's other purpose was to also inform the not to know posters.

I have an idea also that some schools have no idea. If the pass rate in all levels of schooling HAS to be 100% what hope have they of getting the right teachers.

If you employ a failed scholar --but they have the paper to say they have passed. ??? no hope .

I read into your thinking, my post was to agree with you and it's other purpose was to also inform the not to know posters.

I have an idea also that some schools have no idea. If the pass rate in all levels of schooling HAS to be 100% what hope have they of getting the right teachers.

If you employ a failed scholar --but they have the paper to say they have passed. ??? no hope .

Your absolutely right of course, if there was one thing just one i could change and reform utterly here it would be education. Everything else stems from that in the longrun. But on the face of it (excuse the pun )the last thing anyone will do is tackle that one head on and fully or properly... Having not perfect but well informed, critcal thinking and moral children when the adults are anything but...when the kids start asking obvious but embarrassing questions and realising they have little or no one to look up to = massive loss of face. Sad but i believe true.

Edited by englishoak
  • Like 2

Brilliant! The blah-blah and The Nation rant is on.

The Breeding ground of corruption!

This reminds me another Great Nation always kicking up slogans - "Forward!"...

... but never explaining where is the front...

BTW, the level of corruption in both countries is

- staggering

- ingrained for centuries

- practiced with total impunity

- is based on a similar education brainwash.

Any guesses which countries I'm talking about? facepalm.gif

You and the article are both wrong. the article says it only got 35 out of 100 that was the 2012 figures the 2013 figure was 33 out of 100. That is a 2% increase in corruption.

So you see you and the article are wrong. Not surprising for the Nation to be wrong and you probably never got to see the real figures.

Well education is the answer but to get them to change their ways it will have to come from further up the chain.

The educators along with being poor educators are not about to shoot the goose that lay's the golden egg.

Good questions. Some yes some no. I put a high value on education.

Your first two are non applicable I wouldn't be doing any thing wrong there.

You are talking completely different levels and circumstances. I believe in starting at the head and working down. You don't kill the snake by cutting of part of it's tail you kill it by cutting of it's head.

"If you were in a position of absolute power and closely connected to those in a similar position, and this gave you carte blanche to do whatever you wanted, would you stop?

If you were skimming off money every month because of your shady activities - knowing that your 'connections' or position gave you protection from the law , would you stop?'

Edited by northernjohn

When both Gog and Magog are powerless, - bring one Demagogue!

Or Pedagogue?...

I wonder where will He come from?

And who was His Teacher?

And what He will teach?

And who will he teach?