She want's a motorbike for her birthday but has no licence.....

some farang in Thailand are used to be in a weak negotiation position vs. women (even bar-girls), for whatever reason. Some (understandable) reasons could be low self esteem, weak financial situation, poor health, alcohol/substance over-use, sex addiction or even age (!), or any combinations of those.

Those issues exist of course, but the fact is we come from cultures where strong independent women basically run the show most of the time when it comes to sexual politics, guys buy into the myth that we need them a lot more than they need us.

It's very difficult to step outside that cultural programming and take charge of the relationship as Thai culture expects.

That's why you're so much better off finding girls that haven't had any exposure to western guys or the sex biz, she will expect you to take charge, it's up to you whether you can or not. In most cases it takes constant mindfulness to keep things on that basis, all too easy to fall into the old mindset, especially in the "unimportant" issues, e.g. "where would you like to eat tonight teerak?"

You're older, you're the man, you're paying for everything - so no excuse to let her run the show.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also who will be paying the monthly charge for the iPhone or the Scooter maintenance/gas?

BTW, how much does the latest model iPhone cost in Thailand and how much is a new and a used 125cc Honda scooter?

I plan to buy a scooter for myself for short runs once I arrive in Chiang Mai, but will take cabs or other means of transportation for longer trips.

I switched to an Android based phone a year ago (LG Spirit) and love it and it's much better than the iPhone 4 I had. Just wondering what people are getting clipped for iPhone's these days as I paid $159 for my LG Spirit after Mail-in Rebate.

4.5" screen, faster CPU, better overall device and service, etc...

Plus I have a no-contract carrier so I'm saving about $500 a month.

iPhone's seemed to be geared towards kids and younger people while more tech people are going with Android phones. At least in my experience here in the SF Bay Area.

iPhone's seem to be a status symbol among kids from wealthy families.

I bet that iPhone get stolen from her within a month if not sooner and she'll be crying for a new one.

Does she really need an iPhone? No. No one really does, especially a 16 year old girl. And a scooter without a license or insurance? You might find yourself on the short end of a very expensive lawsuit, even by her own family.

Remember, if the farang didn't buy it for it, the misfortune wouldn't have happened.

Rule #1 in Thailand. If the farang wasn't here, the accident wouldn't have happened, regardless of who was at fault.

Same applies here.

Get her an inexpensive phone. If she proves she can take care of it for a year without losing it, breaking it, having it stolen, etc... and pay for the air time herself, then consider an iPhone for a graduation present.

As far a scooter, I would pay half if she pays half if and only if she has a license and insurance. Also for a graduation present.

I'm sure she can find weekend work between now and graduation to come up with half the money, or at least make a decent attempt to do so.

If not, then she just wants someone else to pay her way thru life. Guess who that "someone" is?

Good luck.

<deleted> - no licence here means they don't give a FF. "When I die Buddha will look after me" according to my ex. The rules (if there are any) of the road here mean jack sh*t. Life means nothing. If she dies, well then you can have another one. Sadly that is their attitude. Mai Phen Rai.

About a year ago,while we've had 2 motorbikes handy,one of my wife's boys,aged 15 at that time,came over to me and ask,if he could have one...the other boy,aged 13 was standing near by,so I asked him(joking of course),if he wants the other motorbike...and he enthusiastically said "Yes,of course!"....so I took them to the back of the house and showed them their 6 bicycles,all broken(!) and told them,that because they could never take proper care of their bicycles,they will have to buy(!) their own motorbikes....that's it,never been asked again....problem solved...wink.png

...I do pay for the bus to take them to school,of course(which is probably a 'little' safer)...smile.png

For those of you who recommend a 16 year old vilage girl get a job. What kind of job? Im sure she sees all the girl with money arent picking fruit or rice.................lol.

I'm not recommending she get a job, although I said I had one at her age a bought my own motorcycle.

I'm saying that she doesn't need a new motorcycle and that kids today are spoiled, especially by farangs.

• Like 1

Am i hearing this correct?

You just purchase the licence without a test on any instruction?

Are there any driving schools or road awareness course's here?

Thanks

Welcome to Asia......What do you think why there are so many accidents....

My wifes sister drove in Bangkok for years without helmet and licence....Why? Her statement was she is from the south the police should not dare to stop her. Don't know what she did or not....but she drove around for at least 3-4 years. Seems no one care....

My God, how many BST in answers.

in BKK 3-4 yrs with out helmet and license? WHERE does she move? Underground?

Why is the police scared her? About south? They shit down where is she from.

If some-one would like to take motorbike license has to go to Gov. office and make a test and if wasn't match minimum 30 doesn't get license. About too much road accident if the license is expired has to go to Gov. office also and make a new a test, but before they teach them, and get a new if was match minimum 30 also.

Of course have many underground channels, but don't say in TH there is not school for license.

The car same, if expired also, but longer course not only half day.

I'm thinking,that on my daughters 16th B'Day I will get myself(!) a big,fast motorbike and take her to her school(and back) by myself...and on rainy days,my big 'bad-ass' truck will do the job just fine... tongue.pngwink.png

• Like 1

For those of you who recommend a 16 year old vilage girl get a job. What kind of job? Im sure she sees all the girl with money arent picking fruit or rice.................lol.

I'm not recommending she get a job, although I said I had one at her age a bought my own motorcycle.

I'm saying that she doesn't need a new motorcycle and that kids today are spoiled, especially by farangs.

NeverSure, don't waste your breath. Same guy posting this was the guy with following post: This guy seems to be kidding.

My Thai wife is ten years older and wealthier, am i the odd one out on here?

" She is also the main earner in our family which is cool because i get to spend more time with our children. "

Spend more time with your children. Troll post

Edited by lostinisaan

Am i hearing this correct?

You just purchase the licence without a test on any instruction?

Are there any driving schools or road awareness course's here?

Thanks

It might be worse than that.

My GF told me she got her car driver's license without ever having driven in a real traffic situation.

They only test if you are able to park and steer around a few bolllards, on your own, in a completely sealed-off area. In other words a "driving license" is more or less only a "parking license". Apparently, this is the norm...

Perhaps someone can confirm this, or whether she managed to pull off something unusual (?)

yes I can confirm this. They need to be able to park, steer around a few bollards and drive in reverse for about 20 metres. No actual real traffic situation

wow....you got it all wrong pal..... Buy her the motorbike and the iphone. These 2 items go hand in hand. Forget the insurance and the license....who needs it. Just imagine how happy your daughter will be speeding along on her new scooter with 3 friends on back and calling a 4th friend on her new iphone just before rear-ending a cement truck....oh the stories they will share in the future....how much more fun can life be!!!!

Go Dad

wow....you got it all wrong pal..... Buy her the motorbike and the iphone. These 2 items go hand in hand. Forget the insurance and the license....who needs it. Just imagine how happy your daughter will be speeding along on her new scooter with 3 friends on back and calling a 4th friend on her new iphone just before rear-ending a cement truck....oh the stories they will share in the future....how much more fun can life be!!!!

Go Dad

U forgot about the little dog sitting in the frontbasket.

Let us walk away from many good and bad points made here.

Surely

0<110<125;

IPhone<Bike;

16< 18;

Daughter < Wife < Village;

Thai Police < Western Police etc., etc.

Do not listen to any of these good and bad points.

Ask yourself what does your heart tells you?

This isn't an advice, just thinking about life.

In my life NOBODY ever gave me anything of substance except my EDUCATION.

Thanks to my parents and Education they helped me to get I got EVERYTHING I ever wanted by my own efforts.

If she is your daughter you owe her that much. Nothing else.

If she is somebody else's daughter you do not owe her anything except what you want to give.

Who is richer is between you and your wife.

Richer or poorer, if you cannot convince your wife to do as YOU SEE FIT - you are a door mat in this family.

Cannot figure out why did you ask us about what you must decide by yourself.

Happy living. biggrin.png

Edited by ABCer

We are in Bangkok, but the step-daughter is up north near Phetchabun.

Sorry I going to be a bit negative towards you but try to get what I have to say and not be too defensive about what I am about to say to you.

First I have been here for 10 years, Prior to coming here from the States, Until recently I forfeit my Commercial (A) License that included Instructions Passenger (LImo-Buses) basically had all the Endorsements including training hundreds of Airline workers to to tow Commercial Aircraft around the airport. Got my motorcycle license through the California Highway Patrol school and had hundreds of hours of training from the Department of Transportation.

That being said I think you are very naive based on your questions. Leave all the advice about what to tell you step-daughter basically dangling a carrot in from of her. Your situation in my opinion you are nothing more than a ATM to her and sorry your wife thinks the same too otherwise she would do something about it if her concern was the same as yours. The fact that they roll their eyes says it all! What you think advice like you can have a bike if you get a license or wear your helmet this is laughable. She as I have heard for years... she is 100% Thai.. that fact she doesn't live with you proof all my point! What you think in terms of advice you can give or demands when their own country does not demand it.

My son now is 14 years old and he lives with me... I got him a motorbike on his 10 birthday sure young but his friends were riding at age 9 years old. For personally reasons I did one it was because of his attitude he actually listen and is a responsible kid. Sooner or later it was going to happen and he has seen me in the States and here for years driving and told me teach me how to drive like you and so I did. I cycle here and I taught him how to ride a bike and use the bike as a test as to whether I should upgrade him to a motorbike by taking him to the main road on Sukhumvit and watching how he handle the traffic, he past. I personally taught him myself told him all the negatives about how Thais drive in the end I think he felt I hated all Thais because I was bad mouthing them so much but in the end he said while we were driving around I could 99% tell him exact want a Thai driver was going to do before he did it. When he was ready if he pass my driving test he got the bike.. my principal in teaching was defensive and get the big picture. He drove around Pattaya and while driving he had to point out several things every second.. he pass with flying colors but does that mean he doesn't do what young kids do the same B.S. I did when I was his age and worse?

I never even consider the license because here they don't care until they are older worry about it later which is this coming year. The school are useless in my opinion except for them to get pass the written test. My neighbor has a driving school and I taught her how to really drive and her business in thriving because she is smart enough to incorporate my teaching to the Thai so they can at least pass what they required. If nothing I've done here I'm pretty proud of this fact. Thailand driving speaks for itself if I were to take 10 government officials who ran this country and gave them a actually driving test I would fail each one I'm sure based on their own current laws. Why because they all believe driving is a right instead of a privilege!

Back on topic.. your stepdaughter wants a bike because she already know how to ride one correctly and safely is another thing. Thinking if you brought her a IPhone she would get robbed I seriously doubt it she has a much higher rate of dying or getting hurt if she had a motorbike. If she do not have her owned she already is using a family member bike which by the way indirectly you purchased it for the family in one way or another. She is spoiled and only look at you as a ATM this comes from someone who know what that feels like. The motorbike is the least of your worries she is 16years old and the young Soi Dogs are licking their chops how to get into her panties if not already. The motorbike will only increase her independence you be better her buying her a IPHONE?

Good luck buddy your back is up against the wall I know you will defend your wife but she is part of the problem in the end when you least expect it and make a visit to see the family you will see your stepdaughter pull up in a motorbike you will ask yourself boy that looks new and sooner or later it will come out it is her bike. One way or another you got it for her you just didn't know until now?

Edited by thailand49

NeverSure, don't waste your breath. Same guy posting this was the guy with following post: This guy seems to be kidding.

My Thai wife is ten years older and wealthier, am i the odd one out on here?

" She is also the main earner in our family which is cool because i get to spend more time with our children. "

Spend more time with your children. Troll post

Congratulations lostinisaan for the worst reply so far!

So someone asks a genuine question about where to find a test centre and how to apply for a licence in Thailand is called a "troll".

I am not a walking ATM contrary to popular belief, the wife might be paying for the scooter if we decide that is the present to be.

The step-daughter is a good girl and top of her class, why not encourage and reward hard work and good behaviour.

There seems to be a common misconception on here that the westerner pays because he is richer and all Thai families are after only your money, that may be what a lot of people on here have experienced- But hey this is 2014 and 99% of Thais pay there own way and work damn hard doing it!

Thank you to the members who have tried to help but i am still none the wiser as to driver training schools here.

The OP later said she has a job in a market and goes to school. She sounds like a good girl.

If you're referring to what I said, I'm not saying that every kid should have a job although I think it's good for them.

I'm saying that we shouldn't spoil them by giving them things that a are expensive that they didn't earn.

Seems I recall a kid who is out of country because he killed someone with his Ferrari, all paid for with daddy's big bucks. The kid never has had to earn or learn or pay. Somewhere there needs to be a balance.

I will end because I think most can see you are getting very negative about the responses. This is part of the course of posting on the Internet the sarcastic responses?

The answer is right there the problem as I noted is your are naive and maybe living in general in Bangkok in your own world. No one likes to be called a ATM, I was and still today am a ATM in principal and I look like them and speak the language but one way or another they do things and ask things they would never ask one of their own. I have been told I am more Thai that a Thai? In the bar scene the go go girls that know me don't want me anywhere near their customers because they say I know too much wish I didn't and are afraid I might say or do something to drive their potential sponsor away. I can tell you whether you believe it or not as long as your wife is with you her family and friends also see her as a ATM?

You come across so positive as if you know your step daughter so well yet she doesn't even live and in general like most maybe come once or twice a year to visit grandparents are most likely have been raising her from day one. Unless you are sending her to a top notch International school the schools she has attended are no more that a baby sitting service during the day. I in general can safely say when you do see her you can barely hold a conversation with her. I have been around some so call top students and if I tell them what is 9x8 they need a calculator.

Yes this is 2014 and I wish it wasn't true from my perspective and I believe like you Thai people work hard but I would never come to a conclusion that 99% pay their own way? Yes they do but when they know a family member has a falang boyfriend or husband especially where your wife and step daughter live there is a standard for you and another for a Thai man. Personally I wish I had your experience but I have experience completely the opposite and wish each day I wake up that I don't end up killing a Thai man because I experience their driving. I continue to have a positive outlook for every Thai I meet although my experience has been completely opposite of yours. I live amount them not in Bangkok in a A/C house and eating only Falang food as a choice.

I hope and know your stepdaughter is a good girl and student but she was raised Thai style and have very little contact with Falang except for you. You have no idea what is going on except what you hear and from time to time you see? The simple fact you say you still have not gotten a answer to driving lessons etc. lead me to believe your question and response " you just don't get it " your western thinking that she has to go to a school wear a helmet etc.. is going to keep her alive justify why she could have a bike? get real!

There is no driving school in Thailand IMHO opinion that would justify to me why I should buy her a bike! Is that good enough a answer for you? You been better off teaching her yourself but of course she would roll her eyes along with the rest of the family!

Let me ask you this? can your wife survive on her own with everything you have provided to her house, car etc... if something happen to you and you left her nothing. Basically I'm asking you as in a Embassy interview " are you her sole supporter? " if the answer is yes! if your wife decides to buy the bike then i indirectly the money comes from you and you indirectly are buying the buy. Does you work and make enough to pay all the expenses on her own to sustain the standard of living the both of you enjoy today?

My post is very negative to you sorry but I'm just being honest. Don't try to come up with a western reason as to why you should or shouldn't buy her a bike. A new bike is not the issue or a license she with or without a license or new bike is already riding one own by someone else they are asking for a bike of her own! Either buy one or not it is that simple!

Once again good luck in your decision as negative as I have been I truly wish you and your family well!

Edited by thailand49

Just tell her get your license & then you can have a bike. It is too easy to get an auto & bike license in Thailand. No lic. will be a major problem if she has a wreck & is questioned later. Not worth the hassle.

• Like 1

Just tell her get your license & then you can have a bike. It is too easy to get an auto & bike license in Thailand. No lic. will be a major problem if she has a wreck & is questioned later. Not worth the hassle.

what he said .......

if you dont even have a driving licence its automatically your fault no matter who caused the accident ........and you may well end up paying repair

bill of whatever she crashes into when it happens

personally ,id say no and get her a phone instead if you have to get something ,a 16 year old thai teenage girl and a motorbike sounds like a bad idea to me..........