My Nexus 5 Review

First I bought my phone from jaymart and I want everyone to know that I've had android phones before including htc desire / galaxy note / galaxy s3 so I'm not new to android and for my review i'll try my best to just point out somethings. I've just switched over from my s3 and the reason was simply I was looking to change phones as I've had my s3 now for almost 2 years now.

Here is my list for the nexus 5 based on 1 week of usage and 16GB model ( model D821 ) international version not usa version

1. No crapware or addons or other software from the likes of htc / samsung / etc to slow down performace or waste storage space

2. I enjoying trying out any new features when a new version of android comes out sadly when dealing with the telecom carriers and phone makers like htc or samsung, etc, wait times for updates can be extremely long like 6 months or more. With this phone whenever a newer version comes out your the first one to get it. Now while this feature is not a must have for everyone for me its nice to have

3. Screen display compared to my s3 is quite the contract however any newer technology that comes out should have better displays than phones 1 to 2 years older / previous phones in most cases

4. For the 16 GB phone actual storage usage after the operating system is 12.55 GB not bad compared to the S4 in which system storage left on a 16 GB model after samsung additions and operating system is only 8.50 GB of storage left. While 4 GB is not a whole lot it does make quite the difference. Please note this is only comparing the samsung Galaxy S4

5. UI ( user interface ) since I never like samsung’s touchwiz, I’ve had to use another applications like nova laucher or other launchers for my UI, however as this is just stock android I found the performance fluid with no hang times or delays.

6. Applications: Just note this phone runs android 4.4 So far all the applications I use on this phone have worked just fine. Please note this may not always be the case for every application as developers may have to update there application to 4.4 if there were any major changes from 4.3 to 4.4

7. Feel: As I’ve had a samsung galaxy s3 and samsung galaxy note I find the phone is still fine to hold and use does not feel anything like using a galaxy note

8. Sound: If you read the different reviews online some will point out the sound is not so good for music is sound is fine for talking on the phone the sound comes out quite high in comparsion to my S3.

9. Display: In my opinion as of right now compared to my s3 and Iphone 5s visuals are much better – however please note wait till the samsung galaxy s5 comes out and iphone 6. Screen size is 4.95 inches with 1920 X 1080

Minuses

1. Battery life - The screen winds up being the biggest drain on my battery is one thing I would point out

2. No internal slot for a sd card - which considering this is only a 16 gb phone does not add for a lot of storage however as I do not store alot of photos or music my storage will be fine.

3. Hard to find accessories for this phone - while I bangkok went to quite a few malls and not any luck, would note though didn't try mbk mall though

4. No way to replace the battery if it goes bad as it is not detachable

Network

I’m using it on DTAC and have had no issues in getting 3G internet.

Wifi Connections

No problems connecting to wifi networks

hope this helps anyone who is looking into buying a nexus 5

• Like 2

Thanks for the detailed comments. I considered buying a Nexus 5 to replace my Nexus 4 but after much dithering, I instead bought the imobile IQ 9.2 from CSC in MBK. The shop set it up very nicely. It only has 1 GB of RAM but they included a 16 GB micro-SD card for free. The phone does have some crapware installed which I am slowly deleting. I've installed some programs including Chrome and Total Commander. After installing them, the phone offers to move them to the SD card to save space. It seems to be working well with an AIS SIM and unlimited Internet access. Tonight I was able to use it as an Internet hotspot to Chromecast a YouTube video to my TV from my Nexus 4. It worked brilliantly with an HD picture and strong sound. I like the phone a lot but its huge six-inch screen sucks the battery level down in a hurry - like about 10% down each 15 minutes. I'm turning off WiFi, NFC and anything else I can think of. I've installed a battery minder but it doesn't seem to help. The battery is removable so tomorrow I'm off to Phantip to see if there is a replacement battery with more capacity. Any suggestions about how to make the battery last longer will be appreciated. I hope that I don't have to carry around another battery to recharge it from like I do with my iPhone 4 back in Japan!

^^^ what's the battery capacity? Unfortunately as you already know, the screen is the biggest juice sucker and not much you can do about it except lowering the screen brightness or turning it off. Of other things, turn on power saving, keep the wifi and data off unless you need them, disable all the autostarts for the apps that don't need to start when the phone boots up (some games and other crap like doing it, install Greenify from the market (or side load it if you don't have a Play Store installed on your IQ phone) and greenify all of the apps except those that rely of push notifications (like your email apps). That's about all you can do.

Oh, you can also root it and flash a better kernel if available and if not, install the Set CPU and use interactive governor as well you can undervolt the CPU to further save power.

Sent from a Nuclear Submarine.

Hello

keep the wifi and data off unless you need them

what?

keep the wifi and data off

are you sure?

unless you need them

if I wouldn't need wifi or mobile data, why would I have a smartphone?

keep the wifi and data off unless you need them

shock1.gifblink.png it just doesn't make any sense to say that when talking about a smartphone... What's the point of having a smartphone if you have NO INTERNET ACCESS??!

Do you even understand what you wrote and what I said?

Turning off internet access to help increase battery efficiency is like turning off the phone completely in order to save its battery: you can't use the main purpose of a smartphone without permanent internet access anymore. You could also switch to a 400-baht-feature-phone with a 3-weeks battery life instead, it's pretty much the same.

I didn't intend to be mean as I was honestly shocked by such suggestion, but after all maybe you should get out of your nuclear submarine and go to the open air a little...

Do you even understand what you wrote and what I said?

Turning off internet access to help increase battery efficiency is like turning off the phone completely in order to save its battery: you can't use the main purpose of a smartphone without permanent internet access anymore. You could also switch to a 400-baht-feature-phone with a 3-weeks battery life instead, it's pretty much the same.

I didn't intend to be mean as I was honestly shocked by such suggestion, but after all maybe you should get out of your nuclear submarine and go to the open air a little...

Now this is better, you actually start making a little sense. Please go back and read what the problem the guy I replied to is facing. I can give you a hint in a form of a quote from his post: " battery goes down 10% every 15 min"... if we try to apply some 2nd grade math, we will see that his phone will be dead in 2 hrs and 30 min. Now how much use you can get out of a smartphone if it's dead? Not much eh?

Unless you're a Facebook or Line addict, you don't need to be online 24/7. I know people who have time based Internet packages, quite of few of them. They turn on data every once in a while, download their emails, check Facebook or whatever they're hooked up on and then turn the data on when they're done. Nothing wrong with that if you ask me, they have Internet access when they need it and this is one of the things that will save the guy some battery.

Now excuse me, I'll go back to my nuclear submarine. ;)

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/3467463?hl=en

Nexus 5 battery specs as published by Google:

Battery
2,300 mAh
Standby time: up to 300 hours
Talk time: up to 17 hours
Internet use time: up to 8.5 hours on Wi-Fi; up to 7 hours on LTE
Wireless Charging built-in
Unless you're using LTE you should be OK for average use. Most average users (30 minutes of voice, 3 hours of internet) seem to get by with a single, daily over-night charging, but there is so much variation in use it can be challenging to pin down an exact figure.
Personally (GNEX 4; 2,100 mAh) I always turn WiFi off unless at home, or work - and use 3G - otherwise it will scan for WiFI networks every few seconds and drain the battery a bit more quickly.
While the battery is not "user-replaceable", one can buy a replacement battery. Changing it requires some care/caution, but there are many videos on this subject. I might bring it to a shop, and recommend they watch the video, as there is much prying with a guitar pick, and removing/reinserting the ribbon cable can require a delicate touch.
BTW, Thanks to the OP for a great review.
Edited by lomatopo

I bought two Nexus 5's directly from Google in January. $350 per phone. I have been very happy with mine, and the wife loves hers (she was a Samsung-aholic prior to this.)

I keep the internet on, but I don't surf that much. I check one website daily, and then I check e-mail when needed. If I am stuck somewhere, I might pull up ThaiVisa or Sports Illustrated. I generally have to recharge my battery every three days or possibly two days if I've had heavier usage.

I dropped my wife's Nexus on a concrete floor, and the phone wasn't even fazed.

Actually there Is a way to replace the battery. This was my concern before deciding to buy the Nexus 5, but found more than one YouTube vids showing how to replace. With a bit of dexterity it seems rather easy.

Thanks for the suggestions, shurup. I will work on implementing them. With WiFi and NFC turned off, I managed to surf the web and read the New York Times for about 40 minutes yesterday while only using 8% of the battery, which is a great improvement. It really is a beautiful and fast phone and the NYT looks great in white on black. The little embedded video clips play smoothly and the phones speakers are pretty good. I do have Google Play so tomorrow I'll install Greenify and work on the other issues. I'll let you know how the battery life improves. Much obliged!

• Like 1

Tonight I was able to use it as an Internet hotspot

Note that this application utilizes both the mobile data and WiFi interfaces, as well as using a lot of steam as a router.

You can go into Settings, Battery to get a feel for which apps are utilizing your battery, including WiFi. If you see "Cell stand-by" at more than say 5% then there may be an issue bouncing between serving base-stations.

Thanks, lomatopo. I am careful to have my phone connected to the charger when using it as a hotspot. I'm pleased that it works so well. I like this phone more than my Nexus 4 and iPhone 4. I will checkout the battery use on cell standby.

• 2 weeks later...

How is the camera? Google was touting it at first, then backed off. I've read mixed reviews, mostly negative. That's why I haven't bought one. What's your experience?

It's garbage. Nothing more to say about it.

Here is a picture taken with a Nexus 5:

www.computerworld.com/common/images/blogs/JR-Nexus5/10-nexus-5-camera.jpg

Edited by Phil Conners
Oversized inline image removed. Use the link to see it in a new browser window if necessary.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had my N5 since November '13 and in my opinion it's the best Android phone I've ever had - and I've had quite a few. I agree with all the OP's points though, but want to add about the negative points:

1. Battery life - I've never had an Android phone with "good" battery life. With more than minimal use the battery will not last for a 24 hour period. The nice thing about the N5 is it's supports wireless charging. I bought a charge pad on Ebay for a few hundred baht, and every time I drop the phone off on my desk, I drop it on the wireless charge pad. Problem solved.

2. No internal slot for a sd card - I have the 32G model and have never used more than about 8G of it. Not an issue for me, YMMW.

3. Hard to find accessories for this phone - while I bangkok went to quite a few malls and not any luck, would note though didn't try mbk mall though - Yes, Samsung and Iphone pretty much sit on the Thai market, but go to Ebay and you'll find all the accessories you need for a fraction of what it would have cost here.

4. No way to replace the battery if it goes bad as it is not detachable - Actually I dropped the phone and cracked the screen. I seem to do that with all my phones, nothing special about the N5, only difference was LG in Thailand were trying to overcharge me for the repair because the phone was a "gray import" (I bought it myself from USA as it was not available in Thailand at the time). LG Thailand wanted over 8000 to replace the screen. I got a new replacement screen on Ebay for 4000 and replaced it myself. It was not that difficult, and while I was at it, I can tell you the battery is quite easily replacable. But yes, you'll need to order the replacement battery on Ebay, and know how to open a "closed" phone. (Hint: Search youtube, plenty of "movies" showing how).

I also think it takes the best photos of any of the phones I've had. Of course it's always possible to take a bad photo if you do it in low enough light such as the example shown earlier. No phone take good pictures in low light conditions.

• Like 2