designing and building in chiang mai

ericpasansai

Beautiful. We love it. Do show kitchen and bath pics. When the time comes would happily use the same builder.

The 37 sq. meter condo remodel I did with casual labor was a frustrating experience I would not wish on anyone.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OP has indeed got a very nice and impressive house – also the others uploading photo samples of their houses – taste is different and that gives a variety of great designs.

I did my own design and drawings, and also I ended up with a house the way I wanted it. 300 sq. m. living area (terraces not included) for about 25,000 b/m2 all included; beach terrace, outdoor Jacuzzi etc. but not the land.

Seems like choice of finishing materials, especially decorations as tiles and quality of doors, makes a huge difference in construction price pr. m2.

Just mentioned as another example of how a house in Thailand can be. smile.png

Attached photos: Seen from beach, seen from back (road entry), 2nd floor terrasse, 3rd floor terrasse.

post-122720-0-74594800-1394914316_thumb.

post-122720-0-94762200-1394914344_thumb.

post-122720-0-02737700-1394914564_thumb.

post-122720-0-40101700-1394914586_thumb.

• Like 1

OP has indeed got a very nice and impressive house – also the others uploading photo samples of their houses – taste is different and that gives a variety of great designs.
I did my own design and drawings, and also I ended up with a house the way I wanted it. 300 sq. m. living area (terraces not included) for about 25,000 b/m2 all included; beach terrace, outdoor Jacuzzi etc. but not the land.
Seems like choice of finishing materials, especially decorations as tiles and quality of doors, makes a huge difference in construction price pr. m2.
Just mentioned as another example of how a house in Thailand can be. smile.png
Attached photos: Seen from beach, seen from back (road entry), 2nd floor terrasse, 3rd floor terrasse.
You are absolutely right about the final details making the project a success. I've seen cases where a 5 million dollar build was ruined by putting the wrong front door at the finals stages of construction/

‘laislica’

The ‘pointy roof’ functionality is to shed weighty snow build up … in hotter climates high ceilings, rather than a ‘pointy roof’ facilitates ‘cooler’ temperatures at the floor level

‘crushed polystyrene’ is more likely polystyrene balls; 98% air, which actually the ‘insulation’

Small windows = poor light = power usage to read etc; it’s the placement of windows that dictate heat entry

‘BanTamo’

I do not agree that ‘traditional values’ play any part in the design and build of a home; there are three simple things to follow; orientation, design (to facilitate light and heat entry only when needed and building materials; that facilitate comfort) …

‘laislica’

The ‘pointy roof’ functionality is to shed weighty snow build up … in hotter climates high ceilings, rather than a ‘pointy roof’ facilitates ‘cooler’ temperatures at the floor level

‘crushed polystyrene’ is more likely polystyrene balls; 98% air, which actually the ‘insulation’

Small windows = poor light = power usage to read etc; it’s the placement of windows that dictate heat entry

I designed and built my first energy efficient house in 1984; the roofing style remains unchanged to this day on my designs; many of my practices form part of the energy rating assessment programs used (but not adhered to) in Australia. In 1997, was asked to nominate for an award in enery efficient house design by the Dept of Energy (Qld).

Am I applying for work ... well yes and no; I will be in Thailand from March 29th until early May (but can extend to 60 days);

I can a) design, B) specify and c) also supervise the construction of a house build.

Coincidentally, my Thai family (my Wife's) is in the construction industry ...

If you want references or pictures ... first and last home (which has a pool inside) ...

‘laislica’

‘BanTamo’

I do not agree that ‘traditional values’ play any part in the design and build of a home; there are three simple things to follow; orientation, design (to facilitate light and heat entry only when needed and building materials; that facilitate comfort) …

‘laislica’

I designed and built my first energy efficient house in 1984; the roofing style remains unchanged to this day on my designs; many of my practices form part of the energy rating assessment programs used (but not adhered to) in Australia. In 1997, was asked to nominate for an award in enery efficient house design by the Dept of Energy (Qld).

Am I applying for work ... well yes and no; I will be in Thailand from March 29th until early May (but can extend to 60 days);

I can a) design, cool.png specify and c) also supervise the construction of a house build.

Coincidentally, my Thai family (my Wife's) is in the construction industry ...

If you want references or pictures ... first and last home (which has a pool inside) ...

True, pointy roof sheds snow but in this case to shed lots of rain.

In the old days the soil was used to save weight, not allowed now, hence the polystyrene.

It's used only as a slope maker, not a thick insulating layer.

Yes, ceilings are normally almost 3m high.

Small windows let in a lot of light during the day and the inside décor is often white and reflects the light. Normally shutters or roller blinds are fitted too, along with the essential mozzy screens.

The outside of the building is traditionally white, also to reflect heat.

I bought an ancient property that was traditionally built. Walls 0.5 M thick, being loose rock stacked and cemented with home made yeso (gypsum cooked on a fire)..Flat roof of course. Ceiling height about 3 M and it was cool in the summer but cold in the winter.

Roof originally made using agave stems, brush wood and riverbed black sand/mud.

The size of the rooms was governed by the usable length of the stems.

It had the roof replaced with a concrete one some years before.

The restoration/refurbishment took years to complete using a local builder.

Getting an architect on board, then getting planning permission for all the new buildings, sourcing the materials in sufficient quality/quantity to complete the job. Sourcing attractive non-slip tiles for the terraces was not easy as I remember.

It was a lot of fun but rather became a way of life so well done these courageous designer/builders.

I know what a huge commitment it is, but getting the living space that you actually want and love is priceless, and to lay in that huge jacuzzi on the terrace was wonderful.

A super thread, thanks to the OP and all the contributors.

Edited by laislica

I don't like it at all. It looks like someting from the 20th century.

Are you hiding any prisioners in there?

Sorry that I'm not fawning all over and your house you like most of the other drips on here, but as you say, there's chocolate and vanilla.

Cheers.

Regarding tropical climate, I would never choose flat roof. Rain water makes the whole building look dirty after a while and mold is going to start appear.

There is a very good reason why old Thai style buildings had huge overlapping roofs. If one doubts my words just have a look on those concrete flat roofed buildings in any city. Growing black mold...

Building methods have improved a lot over the last few hundred years, so there is no reason why a flat roof can not be used in tropical climates. Just cause old Thai houses do not have them means nothing. If a whole building looks dirty, its cause it needs a paint job. Many flat roofed buildings look good after a few years, but in any regard, every building needs something called maintainance.

As mentioned previously Flat roofs work best in hot dry climates ans steeper pointed roofs are intended to shed heavy rain (or snow in colder climates). If rain or snow is shed quicker then less structural strength is required = saving in construction costs.

Flat roofs very rarely seem to be successful over time apart from in hot and dry climates. Adobe structures succeed with flat roofs because they don't have to survive tropical rains Even architects like Frank Lloyd Wright and Walter Burly Griffin experimented with flat roofs and they all leak. There are many new products since Frank Lloyd Wrights day that may water proof flat roofs like on the top of skyscrapers but it is mostly due to building the roof with drainage layers to remove the water as quickly as possible than rely chemical solutions .

Nice house Eric, not my style but if it brings you satisfaction then that is great.

The reason for my starting this topic was to share with you that I have a young professional Thai architect who produces exactly what I want with a minimum of angst. He is still there for me years later when I need a plumber or electrician and often times the the original worker will return to get me out of a jam.

The electricians are fantastic, the plumbers as well. He has a tile guy who is like Picasso. The tiles are always perfect and have the correct pitch if needed. His glass people have never let me down and return in hours if something needs fine tuning.

The reason for my starting this topic was to share with you that I have a young professional Thai architect who produces exactly what I want with a minimum of angst.

Edited by Rimmer
Moderation comments
  • Like 1

I will be building my own self designed 3 bedroom and 3 bathroom house in Saraphi this year. I am a builder by profession and have managed to find a good builder through an expat who has been living here over 40 years.

Through this forum I have meet a couple of nice expats who has given a lot of great info on suppliers and contractors etc.

Looking forward to starting in a few months.