But you don't like to read. Why do you want to go to Harvard?

Daniel Grayson thought there was probably something fishy about the kid who said his childhood friend died from a procedure in a back-alley abortion clinic in Bangkok. Grayson, an associate director of admissions at Tufts University who recruits students and reviews applications from Southeast Asia, had been warned about too-good-to-be-true applications from Thailand. This one, from a student who claimed to have been so inspired by his friend's plight that he made a documentary on illegal abortion and promoted it with great success on the Internet, got him wondering. ....

http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/06/leadership/college-applications.pr.fortune/index.html

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I know at least two (one non-native) English speakers who are creaming in money for Thai rich kids by re-writing essays, Uni entry letters, dissertations etc.

I teach corporate English and new courses and students are given a pre- and post-test - they ALL copy each other without hesitation and despite instructions not to talk there is a constant background muttering. They even look things up on iPhones now! That is, until I clocked it and made everyone put their phones on a side table until after the test!

Is there no end to the cheating that goes on here?

Edited by Scott
Edited for Fair Use
  • Like 1

I once administered a test that I gave a student the right answer for one question and told him to tell his friends. When I marked his paper he changed my answer to the one all his friends had, of course it was wrong, but his friends must be right and the teacher wrong. Oh but they're not cheating they're working together.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

It continues when a teacher takes a weekend Masters program...

One weird fact has been that they often copy from some fool, not the brightest among them.

Sadly, that trait carries on into adulthood - most people will rather follow a big-mouth than a big-brain.

I've helped students get into top UK universities - they were good students, so just needed some polishing and not complete recasting.

The best students will often undersell themselves as they are more concerned about what they don't know rather than boasting about what they do. But I guess those are in a minority.