What Is A "farang"?

Thaidit

People call me a farang, some people call me that half cast word lue kang or something, some call me chinese (even know im not).

Its hard to define white coz in winter I turn white as a ghost (especially the legs) I think Caucasian is probaly the correct term for farang.

No insult taken. I am Asian-American. What would I be considered in THai?

you must be "luk kreung" then = mixed kid (still no insult word in thai)

BTW, im farang banana :o

Edited by BambinA

BTW, im farang banana :D

if we speak of fruits you reminds me more the word melons...whoops :o:D

bambina..bambina.. you've been to Italy eh? :D

:D

I'm a window licker. :D

totster :D

I'd be lying if I said I'd never licked a window... :o

totster :D

Okay,is this more Brit slang? What's wrong with licking windows, beside that they are dirty and people will look at you funny? :D

BTW, im farang banana :o

I think the OP might be full blooded Asian BambinA. In American we say things like German-American, Irish-American it's a way to identify ethnic groups while saying that they are Americans. I think that's what the OP is saying is that they are full blooded Asian born in America.

If that is the case Thai people might refer to you as the Asian you are (Chinese, Japanese, etc.) or maybe just as American, I guess. What do you think BambinA?

I think the OP might be full blooded Asian BambinA. In American we say things like German-American, Irish-American it's a way to identify ethnic groups while saying that they are Americans. I think that's what the OP is saying is that they are full blooded Asian born in America.

If that is the case Thai people might refer to you as the Asian you are (Chinese, Japanese, etc.) or maybe just as American, I guess. What do you think BambinA?

In TH, at first time we might be confused then (if he is TH (asain) or else).. but after the OP is speaking ... we will know he is not TH .

hard to explain :o

In TH, at first time we might be confused then (if he is TH (asain) or else).. but after the OP is speaking ... we will know he is not TH .

hard to explain :o

You are saying that when they speak you will know that they were not born in Asia, right? That they are American or whatever because they saound like it, right?

If I am following you correctly than the question would be this: Let's the OP is Chinese-American, meaning both their parents are Chinese, yet the OP was born in America, so they are an Amercian. They can't be Luk-Krueng, for that's half-half, and they are half anything. What would Thai people call the OP then? Chinese or American?

Does that make sense? :D

Thaibebop,

"If I am following you correctly than the question would be this: Let's the OP is Chinese-American, meaning both their parents are Chinese, yet the OP was born in America, so they are an Amercian. They can't be Luk-Krueng, for that's half-half, and they are half anything. What would Thai people call the OP then? Chinese or American?"

You are correctly restating my Q. I am full blooded Vietnamese with US citizenship but look Thai, all Thais start speaking to me in Thai until I answer I don't habla and they realize I am a foreigner.

Another part of my question is since I am a foreigner but with darker skin, am I treated like a farang when it comes to prices or any other foreigner discrimination, if there is any??? Sorry if this seems like a dumd Q, but I am a newbie and not very familiar with Thai culture other than being a tourist.

Thaibebop,

"If I am following you correctly than the question would be this: Let's the OP is Chinese-American, meaning both their parents are Chinese, yet the OP was born in America, so they are an Amercian. They can't be Luk-Krueng, for that's half-half, and they are half anything. What would Thai people call the OP then? Chinese or American?"

You are correctly restating my Q. I am full blooded Vietnamese with US citizenship but look Thai, all Thais start speaking to me in Thai until I answer I don't habla and they realize I am a foreigner.

Another part of my question is since I am a foreigner but with darker skin, am I treated like a farang when it comes to prices or any other foreigner discrimination, if there is any??? Sorry if this seems like a dumd Q, but I am a newbie and not very familiar with Thai culture other than being a tourist.

I don't really have a good answer for you. I know that when they know you are not Thai you will be treated as such ( this is not always bad and I am not implying that it is) but what they view you as might not help you. I would think saying you are Vietnamese might get you out of paying Frang prices, I don't know. Being an American might make things easy for I guess, but every thinks that if you come from a western country you are loaded. So, I really don't know. Let's see what wiser members post.

I am setfarang * เศสฝรั่ง * ( opposite from Farangset , french people) :o:D Or you can call me * Farang Dong * ฝรั่งดอง * :D:D The real meaning, we have to let Khun Yoot explain us. :D:D