Got one year extension *without* money in the bank

I had stopped reading all this stuff about visa's as it always gets me down and leaves me in a negative mood for at least a week.

I would like to relate my own personal experience.

I got married to a Thai lady last May we have a 4 month old baby.

I have a 1 year NON O visa which was granted at Suanplu last July it expires on July 4th.

No body ever mentioned money income or work permits.

I don't have ANY money saved as its impossible to save on the peanuts salary that they pay teachers here.

At the moment I have an illegal job on 40,000 a month and see no problem getting another. I would not put my money in a Thai bank even if I had it so when renewal time comes what are they gonna do ? Tell me to leave I don't even have the airfare saved we live from month to month so if they chuck me out who gets to keep my wife and kid ? Let me assure you that I will be getting a renewal without any money in the bank and all will be well. Please stop all this nonsense about having hundreds of thousands in the bank.

I will be working legally by July and will have 40K plus per month income but no savings.

My advice is that each and every application is looked at on an individual basis and in the end it's up to the officer processing your application at the time.

The armchair experts on here have caused me untold worry in the past and all for nothing. Unless you are a real live immigration officer SHUT UP even when so called officers make statements here it's always anonymous WHY ? Because the bloody rules change so often that even they are not sure that what they say to you today will be true tommorow.

Enjoy your stay - hold your own council and don't use todays rules for a visa that you may require in 2 to 3 months the rules will probably be different then and you will do all the worrying for nothing.

at 40,000 baht per month from a legal job you have more than sufficient income to get another one year extension to care for a Thai wife and child. So no need to be sick and worried this time. But whether you find it a waste of your time coming here or not, many people are very happy with the advice they get. At least they know what the rules are in advance. How you achieved a one year extension on the basis you describe is incomprehensible. Nevertheless, good luck to you.

NB -

I read your post, and I wonder - are you really trying to tell people that they should do things your way? One month's paycheck away from being absolutely penniless? With a wife and new baby to feed?

What DOES happen if you get caught and thrown in IDC and deported? Or go down in a motorcycle spill? Or if your wife or baby get sick and need medical care?

You are looking at the "money in the bank" rules like they are arbitrary and meaningless numbers that are just thrown out to harrass you.

Guy - the money rules are there to keep irrepsonsible people from trying to raise families with no financial ability to withstand the "bumps in the road" common to all lives. You are EXACTLY the kind of classic case of marginal foreigner that they are trying to keep from proliferating here.

The fact that you cannot even vaguely identify with why the rules exist is downright scary.

Your salary is actually not that bad for Thailand. But the fact that you have nothing saved means that you are just a thin wisp of misfortune away from serious hard times.

Now that you are in the situation, I wish you and your family best of luck. But it certainly will do no one else much good looking to you as an example of how to operate here. Your way can be done - but it is the least wise way to proceed, and your chances of ending up in trouble are way above the norm.

Good luck.

Indo-Siam

Dr Pat Pong It is true there is a clause in the law that allows the Immigration Officer the flexibility to allow someone to stay here although they do not have minimum of money in the bank. In that case it will be evaluated, the officer may visit your house and at that time the extension is only given for 6 months at a time, if he so sees it fit.

As for the other posts about having to show a new 400,000 every year. To me it makes perfect sense, for I have to produce a new certificate from the Embassy annually, verifying my retirement income for the U.S. Government. The fact is that in fact; new and declared money, cause the other we spend to live on. :o

NB -

I read your post, and I wonder - are you really trying to tell people that they should do things your way?  One month's paycheck away from being absolutely penniless?  With a wife and new baby to feed?

What DOES happen if you get caught and thrown in IDC and deported?  Or go down in a motorcycle spill?  Or if your wife or baby get sick and need medical care?

You are looking at the "money in the bank" rules like they are arbitrary and meaningless numbers that are just thrown out to harrass you.

Guy - the money rules are there to keep irrepsonsible people from trying to raise families with no financial ability to withstand the "bumps in the road" common to all lives.  You are EXACTLY the kind of classic case of marginal foreigner that they are trying to keep from proliferating here.

The fact that you cannot even vaguely identify with why the rules exist is downright scary. 

Your salary is actually not that bad for Thailand.  But the fact that you have nothing saved means that you are just a thin wisp of misfortune away from serious hard times.

Now that you are in the situation,  I wish you and your family best of luck.  But it certainly will do no one else much good looking to you as an example of how to operate here.  Your way can be done - but it is the least wise way to proceed, and your chances of ending up in trouble are way above the norm.

Good luck.

Indo-Siam

I dont think its a question of trying to tell people anything.Most people cannot afford to lead their lives with a what if this happens mentality or the majority of people would not get out of bed in the morning and give up now.Most people have little choice and are forced /lead into the lives they lead .Ok you can argue that person x should not do this because he/she does not have the viable means to do it but then your talking about oh id say over a billion people on this planet should just give up now and forget trying to live quite, poor peaceful lives because they havent got the means to cover every eventuality.Also when he made his decision regarding family, life etc maybe his circumstances were different then and now this his only viable way for any kind of future for him and his family.

Nooky, This is the very first time I hear someone getting an extension with no bank show or income at all !

Did you grease the wheels at Suan Pluh, or do you have extremely good connections at the Immigration Bureau? I doubt this route is possible these days.

In reference to the above letters is my opinion that the post to ”Nooky Bear” makes sense. Not because I would choose his way, but because also Thailand have to accept and know that people settle down every where in the world and usually the criteria for get a visa is based on reason to stay, not how much you have in your bank account.

I will think 40000, - Baht would be a less comfortable life in Thailand for many. But also many people make it very well, and not to forget that for many Thai families an income on 40K is very good.

I would say that foreigners married to Thais absolutely not should need to have 200-400K in a bank account for get a one year visa as long as they can prove that they have a income her, or from abroad.

The income should be based on a “ living here”, (shouldn’t be so difficult to find out what the average visitor on “Thai visa” need in income for have a good “western stile” life in Thailand. If married here and work for a local company, well then the income criteria should be in accordance.

Yes a lot of work for the Government and immigration in the start, but that’s why they are there.

But as most of us know, but not always want to admit and accept: Its not based on who we are or reason to stay, or how legal we are, but because of what we have or eventually can bring in. Sit down think about it, turn it around and think about how it is when your gf, bf, wife or husband is on visit in your country, and what makes them welcome… :o

Mouse

You shouldn't have to get a new letter from the USA Embassy each year verifying your retirement money.

Years ago CM Immigration told me once was enough, just to bring a copy every year after the first time. The last two years I extended in Bkk and had no problem.

Should save you a little time and money.

The armchair experts on here have caused me untold worry in the past and all for nothing. Unless you are a real live immigration officer SHUT UP even when so called officers make statements here it's always anonymous WHY ? Because the bloody rules change so often that even they are not sure that what they say to you today will be true tommorow.

I read in the Highway Code that you should look left, right and left again - however I crossed the road the other day without looking and didn't get run over. So stop this nonsense of looking before you cross the road - just step out! :o

Dr Pat Pong It is true there is a clause in the law that allows the Immigration Officer the flexibility to allow someone to stay here although they do not have minimum of money in the bank. In that case it will be evaluated, the officer may visit your house and at that time the extension is only given for 6 months at a time, if he so sees it fit.

As for the other posts about having to show a new 400,000 every year. To me it makes perfect sense, for I have to produce a new certificate from the Embassy annually, verifying my retirement income for the U.S. Government. The fact is that in fact; new and declared money, cause the other we spend to live on. :o

How many cases do you know Mouse ...where Immigration has granted a long term extension to an unemployed penniless foreigner to take care of his Thai family ?

Don’t take me wrong Doctor. As you are an administrator I take your point, and I think this web page give a lot of good information and fun reading. But to say that 40K a month, but nothing more is penniless is quit hard.

In fact the average “Real income” in USA was estimated to US $516.59 pr.week for January 2004. (http://www.bls.gov/ces)

If “Nooky” have almost the half of that pr. week in Thailand, he should be able to take well care of his wife and kid. :o

At the moment I have an illegal job on 40,000 a month and see no problem getting another
and proud of it, huh nooky.
Posted on: Sun 2003-10-12, 07:11:00

I have been here 3 years 100% legal I am married to a Thai have a baby and work (legally) pay my taxes social security etc etc. 

alot has changed for you nooky since your first post last year, from working legally, paying taxes, social security to having no problem with having an illegal job and getting another.

If “Nooky” have almost the half of that pr. week in Thailand, he should be able to take well care of his wife and kid.

so felt 35, you think working illegally and possibly getting caught, jail, fines and being thrown out of the country is taking well care of a wife and kid?

Don’t take me wrong Doctor. As you are an administrator I take your point, and I think this web page give a lot of good information and fun reading. But to say that 40K a month, but nothing more is penniless is quit hard.

In fact the average “Real income” in USA was estimated to US $516.59 pr.week for January 2004. (http://www.bls.gov/ces)

If “Nooky” have almost the half of that pr. week in Thailand, he should be able to take well care of his wife and kid. :o

Alas poor Nook cannot show any of the income coz he has no work permit. So for all intents and purposes, he's penniless.

Enjoy your stay - hold your own council and don't use todays rules for a visa that you may require in 2 to 3 months the rules will probably be different then and you will do all the worrying for nothing.

No papers....no worries, I guess is what ole Nook is trying to say. Seems strange, as this is the only instance where I have heard of a Thai official NOT requiring exessive amounts of paperwork. Nook must be related to the PM or something.

I look forward to him heading down to immigration next year.

Because the bloody rules change so often that even they are not sure that what they say to you today will be true tommorow.

Fair enough Nooky Bear, you do it your way, I will do it mine. I have been getting a one year extension for 12 years and have ALWAYS shown my bank book and have ALWAYS had more than 200,000 baht in the bank. And funnily enough I have always gotten my one year extension. Somehow I suspect you got lucky, don't count on it twice.

As a guest in this country I find it gives me more peace of mind to follow their rules as arrest and deportation aren't really in my program. Up to you to do it how you want, but that doesn't mean people who have been doing this for a long-time are giving out bad advice. It just means they are sharing their experiences, as have you.

No papers....no worries, I guess is what ole Nook is trying to say. Seems strange, as this is the only instance where I have heard of a Thai official NOT requiring exessive amounts of paperwork. Nook must be related to the PM or something.

I look forward to him heading down to immigration next year.

Samran ...we might just have a serial troller here, unless he is seriously related to Cheerless Leader. :o

WHOOPS A DAISY!

I'm in Laos and will be submitting an application for a non-immigrant 'O' visa TOMORROW!

Let me get one thing straight - you have to have money in the bank to get an extension, not a visa - right? I hope the embassy doesn't ask me for a bank statement tomorrow, because I do not have one.

Rob

WHOOPS A DAISY!

I'm in Laos and will be submitting an application for a non-immigrant 'O' visa TOMORROW!

Let me get one thing straight - you have to have money in the bank to get an extension, not a visa - right? I hope the embassy doesn't ask me for a bank statement tomorrow, because I do not have one.

Rob

I hope you'll be ok Rob, but the Embassy well might want some evidence that you will have the wherewithall to be eligible for an extension. Chok dee na

So you are not remotely concerned about renewing your visa in July?

Be prepared to eat your own words about rules. :D

Not that it matters, if you really did apply for an 'O' visa on the basis of marriage, I do not believe your story as stated for a moment.

Keep on ...trolling along, just trolling along... :o

So you are not remotely concerned about renewing your visa in July?

Be prepared to eat your own words about rules. :D

Not that it matters, if you really did apply for an 'O' visa on the basis of marriage, I do not believe your story as stated for a moment.

Keep on ...trolling along, just trolling along... :o

I reckon you picked him Phil. :D

Nooky, your defensive reply to the suggestions that you are a Troll is overwhelming by its absence. :D

You spouted: "Unless you are a real live immigration officer SHUT UP."

So. Sir, please tell us the name of the Immigration Officer who handled your 'successful' application and the Immigration Office concerned.

I am sure that others would be pleased to apply through this upstanding vanguard of the drive towards pragmatic flexibility and understanding concerning farang that do not like the rules of the Kingdom of Thailand.

Your expected continued silence would speak volumes. :D

I hope you enjoyed your moment of 'fame', but now you have to back it up or be seen as the clown I believe you to be. :D

Can you produce the goods? No, I thought not. :o

Name names or just run along, there's a good lad... :D

There are number of points here.

Having a thai child does ease the rules, quite illogical.

This year he will not have a problem if he has that work permit.

40,000 a month is a bit tight, but it can be done, so long as the family buffalo does not get sick.

Good upon you...you haven't had fun. There is discretion, but not all the way down to zero. You were done a B I G favour. I hope that you see the same guy. Good luck.

I have to say that for a teacher of English, your spelling is a bit ' iffy '....DISCRETION and REPLIES for examples.

Finally I don't know how, what why I got a one year O visa with no money show but I Did so lets see what happens in July and I'll keep you posted.

what exactly is in your passport?

in your passport, did you receive a full page stamp from thai immigration that says non immigrant O visa and will expire on 4 JUL 2004? or did you receive a small paragraph saying "extension of stay permited up to 4 JUL 2004"?

if its a visa stamp, then immigration saved you a trip going outside the country and gave you a one year visa not an extension. a non immigrant O visa doesn't require 200k in a thai bank, an extension does.

Nooky bear!

Your post just make more confusion and problem for the farangs who want to stay here legally. And if you trust yourself enough to have a wife and baby, why not trust the bank some peanuts. I dont believe your easy visaextension at this times.

When I go for my one year extension (non O) at same immigration. I dont have to bring my bankbook, But I need a statement from my embassey that I have a pension from my country who last all my life and this money will send to my Thaibank. With regulary transfer to my bank I get a creditcard from visa and why should I be afraid to put some money in my Bank when I can get my money everywhere in the world.