Is it possible to convert a kick start motorbike to electric start ?

I have an old kick start Honda Phantom which has eventually knackered my knee so I can no longer start with my right leg.

Is it possible to have an electric start fitted ? My Thai mechanic says it's not possible, he is probably correct but I would like another informed opinion

or confirmation.

thanks

Andy

Used to cost approx THB 1,500....seen many mopeds done in the past, no different for a Phantom

Sounds cheap at the least he will need a relay, fuse,wire and plugs, start switch, starter and the proper case do engage the starter.

• Like 1

I guess, the OP is talking about the 2-stroke Phantom, which has the same engine as the NSR 150.

These engines have been designed to work "kick start only".

So no chance, to do a conversion with OEM parts.

It *might* be possible somehow, with loads of tinkering and money....but I doubt, this will be a reliable construction.

Especially if it's done by the average "next corner somchai mechanic" tongue.png

Edited by Turkleton
  • Like 1

or if youre really watching those sa-tangs try standing on the other side of it and use your left leg..............

I had a friend years ago who used to use his left foot whilst standing on the right side of the bike. It looked awkward but it can be done.

• Like 1