Bangkok traffic police seek to set up courts to force traffic violators to pay fine

webfact

Thailand is not the only country with this problem, when i lived in ''France'' on numerous occasions i saw ''Parking Attendants'' giving ''Parking Tickets'' and 99 percent of the time, the Violators would just chuck them on the ground and drive away..

I doubt if there was a follow system, as France has always been behind the times...

\sorry to disagree , but yes you can chuck your parking ticket on the ground but lately you receive an official letter from the government asking you to pay or facing court orders ..... trust me been through that process a few time in France before.

Well a court should administer penalties, anyway; not the police with with the risk of tea money.

But then the police clampdown on - was it 12? - traffic offences does have a problem. On-duty somniacs.

Operation of Sukhumvit 55 traffic lights, as with all light operated junctions, relies on a relatively alert individual to change the lights at regular intervals - computer operation of traffic lights being what 3G, 4G etc is to Thai communications. On Wednesday evening last week, the duty roster had Sukhumvit-Thonglor getting lumbered with a colour blind ditherer, resulting in every kind of traffic offence being given free rein by random and incoherent operation.

If the police were on the ball 24/7 the fines for driving offences would pay the national debt within 1 day.

But no keep them from doing their job and put them on school duties until the last few days of the month and then let them earn their wages from the people not wearing hats on moterbikes.

Passed down a section of SH331 today & saw a number of Police traffic courts in action. I have seen them in many countries but these Thai ones are always different. In most countries they check registration stickers and vehicle fitness labels, and, occasionally licences, but these guys just want the window down and never check windscreen stickers for currency or validity. One look at my wife's face & we get waved on. Even seeing my ugly mug doesn't seem to faze them. This traffic checkpoiint system seems difficult to understand. Neither do I understand why they have problems getting fines paid. I always understood all fines were levied and paid on the spot in cash and were quite reasonable. 200baht or so seems the rule, or so I am told.

I might assume "the violators" in question are those caught on traffic cams. When actually stopped by a cop, one is usually extorted for a bribe, or one's license is held until one heads to the station and pays the fine.