How Much For A Transformer You Think?

UKJASE

For a plot of 9 houses, all decent sized 3 or 4 bedroom houses. the size of the plot is about 14 rai as it has a lake in the middle

how much do you think it will cost the developer to get a suitable, decent quality transformer, plus all the posts etc installed. i think he said he wants / needs it to be 3 phase. the plot is in hua hin, and is only a 100 or so metres from the nearest electric cables on the main road

what is the best thing to do - is it best to go for electrical contractors, or better to go to the Electric Authority?

thanks in advance for any information wai.gif

Why do you think you need a separate transformer? If you don't have 3-phase to connect then you aren't going to get it easily. The local PEA will need to be involved for any transformer.

Edited by bankruatsteve
  • Like 2

Why do you think you need a separate transformer? If you don't have 3-phase to connect then you aren't going to get it easily. The local PEA will need to be involved for any transformer.

+1, if there's a mains supply only 100M away, why the need for another transformer?

• Like 1

MEA/PEA need to do a survey to determine if the local LV supply can handle another 9 'farang' homes.

If they deem a transformer necessary, then is time to get quotes.

It is NOT going to be cheap sad.png

EDIT For neatness, let's drop this over to the Electrical forum.

• Like 2

MEA/PEA need to do a survey to determine if the local LV supply can handle another 9 'farang' homes.

If they deem a transformer necessary, then is time to get quotes.

It is NOT going to be cheap sad.png

EDIT For neatness, let's drop this over to the Electrical forum.

Assuming the mains 100M away is just a normal 3 phase one, are you suggesting he pay to upgrade the main HV transformer for the whole moo ban / tambon?

If it were me, I'd just be ordering and paying for another 3 posts to extend the mains to the property line, then ordering 9x 15/45 or 30/100 meters.. No way would I even mention a capacity survey or transformer - that's just the type of question budget deficit PEA's/MEA's want to hear tongue.png

If they mentioned capacity problems or undersized transformer, my first response would be "sounds like your problem". If they then started pressuring, I'd be suggesting that everyone attached to the transformer needs to pay their share, otherwise no Baht from me...

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

the reason i am asking is that when i purchased the land i agreed to pay a ninth of the total cost of the installation for the electric

at the time he said the installation could be close to one million baht, but as we wanted the land, i agreed i would pay a ninth upon installation

the guy has given the builder the go ahead to start proceedings with the electric company, and i believe he still assumes the cost will be in the one million baht region

i was speaking to another builder and he said he paid about 350,000 for a six house set up when he developed that, for transformer and poles

i mentioned this to the developer whom i purchased the land from and he said that this must be for substandard equipment, and the cost will be about 1 million

if i can be sure the cost can be substantially lower than this then i will go back to the guy and ask him to get another quote of two before proceeding

For those who might know... Can a transformer be isolated for just 9 homes? Only provide power downstream? In any case, B1Mil seems like a lot if HV lines only 100m away. Maybe the 'guy' is looking to pocket unearned profit?

• Like 1

the reason i am asking is that when i purchased the land i agreed to pay a ninth of the total cost of the installation for the electric

at the time he said the installation could be close to one million baht, but as we wanted the land, i agreed i would pay a ninth upon installation

the guy has given the builder the go ahead to start proceedings with the electric company, and i believe he still assumes the cost will be in the one million baht region

i was speaking to another builder and he said he paid about 350,000 for a six house set up when he developed that, for transformer and poles

i mentioned this to the developer whom i purchased the land from and he said that this must be for substandard equipment, and the cost will be about 1 million

if i can be sure the cost can be substantially lower than this then i will go back to the guy and ask him to get another quote of two before proceeding

Ignoring all the other points for a moment, 111K isn't too bad overall - I've spent the same to get reliable power for a single plot in my wife's hometown...

Agree with Crossy that I'd like to know what size of transformer that's buying though - you wouldn't want to pay that much and not have a solid supply.. You also want to know what size meter you're getting, and whether that's included in the price. Assuming the other 8 plots are getting the same meter, that should then give you enough info to determine if the transformer has been sized correctly.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

350.000 Baht won't even buy you a 3phase transformer needed for a single house. I inquired 6 years ago for a 3 phase transformer for my house, where I have the high voltage lines passing the property, and at that time was quoted 380.000 Baht.

Would guess prices have gone up since.

• Like 1