Top Gear in Burma and Thailand

3NUMBAS

I'm watching it now, first episode. They are intentionally driving 3 trucks down a narrow soi, purposely hitting overhead cables, parked cars and plastic chairs, I assume, to add to the drama?? Is this what normally happens on Top Gear?

I'm watching it now, first episode. They are intentionally driving 3 trucks down a narrow soi, purposely hitting overhead cables, parked cars and plastic chairs, I assume, to add to the drama?? Is this what normally happens on Top Gear?

You don't really think that reality tv shows are candid, do you?

yes.

i thought it was brilliant but i must say, i was very confused when they kept talking about the river Kwai (which passes through Kanchanaburi and is actually called the river Khwae) when on their map they were in far north of Thailand.

its a shame they didn't spend more time here.

i think a great top gear special would be for them to tour Thailand in local transport, like a tuk tuk, one of those farming tractor things with the handle bars and a motorbike loaded with dogs and chickens or something.

anyhow, when they drove their tucks across the bridge at the end, i though it was one of the craziest things i've ever seen. especially Clarkson and Hammond who followed May across and May's truck looked like it totally destroyed the deck.

Edited by stevehaigh

You don't really think that reality tv shows are candid, do you?

Please do not destroy my innocence

• Like 1

yes.

i thought it was brilliant but i must say, i was very confused when they kept talking about the river Kwai (which passes through Kanchanaburi and is actually called the river Khwae) when on their map they were in far north of Thailand.

its a shame they didn't spend more time here.

i think a great top gear special would be for them to tour Thailand in local transport, like a tuk tuk, one of those farming tractor things with the handle bars and a motorbike loaded with dogs and chickens or something.

anyhow, when they drove their tucks across the bridge at the end, i though it was one of the craziest things i've ever seen. especially Clarkson and Hammond who followed May across and May's truck looked like it totally destroyed the deck.

In the end, it seem that, the bridge was actually built in Thailand, over the river Kok. Probably couldn't obtain government permits to build a new border crossing - Top Gear would've also had to make two new immigration booths, courtesy of the BBC.

The usual good fun nonsense. Made me laugh out loud several times. But their terror at the driving skills in Burma and Thailand were lost on me. 6 years driving here and it just seemed normal. Where did my innocence go?

I got a secret for you ... it's all 'arranged' so when they do these wacky things it's just entertainment usually with a main point to showcase whatever their task was

Oddly, some Top Gear fans don't seem to be aware of this whereas it's strikingly obvious to anyone else who watches

Doesn't stop some of their stuff being entertaining

• 2 months later...

Watched the program on my recent return to the UK - now would like to know the location of the bridge, and if its still standing.

Tried to Google it, but in vain - any Chiang Rai locals have an answer ?