The China Syndrome

So many people complained about oil splashes on the sensor, which when buying a brand new product at that price from a reputable brand is totally unacceptable IMO.

It's not just limited to China though it's a worldwide problem ask any D600 owner.

Apparently it needs wearing in where you take over 1-2,000 photos and then send it off to have the sensor cleaned only for it to happen again once you receive it back.

It's a defective product and should have been recalled sooner.

I posted about this in another thread, the end of the DSLR thread perhaps.

Nik has issued a free sensor cleaning and shutterbox-sensor replacement to

all D600 users worldwide. Check the Nik website for more info.

Mind you....it's a dam_n shame Nik released a defective product then released

another camera, the D610, to answer the problem.

Then there's the class action suit against Nik....the saga continues.

NB...edit to add this link from Nikon Service...

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Service-And-Support/Service-Advisories/hs309y82/Technical-Service-Advisory-for-Users-of-the-Nikon-D600-Digital-SLR-Camera.html

Edited by sunshine51

Yesterday I was looking into upgrading to a D7100, so I did a bit of research and people are claiming they have the same problem, although not as bad as the D600.

Looking at some example shots at f22 on white paper and it didn't look as bad as it sounds, plus I will never be shooting past f11 anyway so I can't see it being bothersome.

Then I found users complaining of grinding shutters and have noticed scratches on them, maybe they got some sand in there or whatever who knows.

I might just go ahead and buy it anyway, there are many other users who are totally happy with theirs.

Yesterday I was looking into upgrading to a D7100, so I did a bit of research and people are claiming they have the same problem, although not as bad as the D600.

Looking at some example shots at f22 on white paper and it didn't look as bad as it sounds, plus I will never be shooting past f11 anyway so I can't see it being bothersome.

Then I found users complaining of grinding shutters and have noticed scratches on them, maybe they got some sand in there or whatever who knows.

I might just go ahead and buy it anyway, there are many other users who are totally happy with theirs.

Hold your horses there baby boy!

There's alternatives to the big two and I ain't talking Pentax here.

Fuji XT-1 with a 56/1.2 looks smokin' hot as does the Oly EM-1.

Don't jump the gun.

All of it's way past my budget too, has been for years. It's why I have to keep going back to work.

Why I get the hump about a lens that's supposed to be great and therefore expensive but in reality is a pile of . . .

Edited by astral
Removal of long quote - Please use Reply button a the bottom

Rhythmworx....you may also find a decent deal on a brand new D7K out there.

Only difference is the sensor size if that's not a problem to you. I have a D7K

as a backups backup...never have had a problem with it. I also know D7100

owners who haven't had any probs with theirs. Take note though...there are

a lotta D700's out there in used condition and pretty cheap. Iif you only have

DX lenses don't worry.....they'll work fine & you get a little extra at the long

end. Look for shutter counts less than 50K on used D700's...limit is at least

150K & I know users who are at 300K with no probs. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Sunshine's right. If I was going to do this all over again it would be full frame, it would be used kit too. It would be fewer lenses. Add in a top end tripod from the start.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app