Anti oxidants

songhklasid

If you are in Thailand...you are in the Herbal Medicine Paradise....plus the best and cheapest Green Tea in the world...and Mangosteen!..the most powerful antioxidant fruit in the planet ...

If you are in Thailand...you are in the Herbal Medicine Paradise....plus the best and cheapest Green Tea in the world...and Mangosteen!..the most powerful antioxidant fruit in the planet ...

Mangosteen, isn't the antioxidants the red color outside, which I never eat?

For beginners that is...my favorite thing about Thailand is guaranteed, all fruit & vegetables are bathed in pesticides. Antioxidants are found everywhere & green tea though maybe cheap is good for you but I prefer quality of which haven't found in the Land of Copies.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

As far as I have heard, the evidence to support a health benefit from anti-oxidants is weak or non-existent:

Antioxidants came to public attention in the 1990s, when scientists began to understand that free radical damage was involved in the early stages of artery-clogging atherosclerosis and may contribute to cancer, vision loss, and a host of other chronic conditions. Some studies showed that people with low intakes of antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables were at greater risk for developing these chronic conditions than were people who ate plenty of these fruits and vegetables. Clinical trials began testing the impact of single substances, especially beta-carotene and vitamin E, as weapons against heart disease, cancer, and the like.

Even before the results of these trials were in, the media, and the supplement and food industries began to hype the benefits of “antioxidants.” Frozen berries, green tea, and other foods labeled as being rich in antioxidants began popping up in stores. Supplement makers touted the disease-fighting properties of all sorts of antioxidants.

The trials were mixed, but most have not found the hoped-for benefits.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/antioxidants/#antioxidants benefits

Good to have alternative points of view, but cannot base all evidence from one Harvard study nor public media. Anti-oxidants are essential nutrients and our body needs in order to survive so they are very important to get in daily diet. Nobody ever went wrong from eating fruits and veggies to much.

• 2 weeks later...

If you look into it you have to eat a huge amount of the raw product to get a high antioxidant benefit. Try and source 'extract' i..e. Green tea extract, or grape seed extract....Much more potent.....Have you read up on niacin for cholesterol ?

Have you checked out Moringa (Maroom in Thai) one of the best plants on earth

If you google this you will find all the benefits the plant holds. You can find these trees all over Thailand.

I had a typical discussion with a Thai one day and she said this Three was a Thai invention, whistling.gif

• 3 weeks later...

According to this survey http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1475-2891-9-3.pdf

Dried AMLA has the highest antioxidants content available in Thailand. Much higher, is dragon's blood but that's in Peru

antioxidants content mmol/100 g

Red wine 2.5

Black tea :1

green tea 1.5

Grape juice 1.2

Expresso ; 14

pomegranate juice 2.1

walnut 21

macha 100

berries 119

dried amla 261

dragon's blood from Peru 2897

Thanks for this list, Kitsune.

I have been squeezing green limes into a glass of water for about 5 years.

I will find out the level of anti-oxidents.

What about pumpkin seeds, I found myself enjoying these over a few cleasing ales in the afternoon, now back in oz, I will buy some from the chinese produce outlets,can someone enlighten me on their benefites ?

cheers songhklasid.wai.gif