Jeremy Clarkson accused of 'racism' during Top Gear series finale in Thailand

webfact

I can't believe the posters here who think farang and slope are of similar nature. You are dyed in the wool bigots.. the lot of you, the proof is in the fact that you all attempt to justify it. LOL. Personally, I am as bigger bigot as the next person, I just have the fortitude and sense to realise.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never heard the word used outside of Australia, where it was used most certainly in a derogatory way - so either Clarkson thought it was a joke very few people would get or indeed the bridge did just have a distinct slope to it.

Hard to believe come the editing stage that they would have risked leaving in a remark that could be so easily construed as racist, so i assume it was not meant., surely.....

Australians who call the british pommes, none of them can explain why though. if clarkson was an australian it would be racist, since aussies are all crooks, or at least thats where the genes came from

Whenever have the Brits been an oppressed minority?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

sorry, am i missing something, this is the 21st century isnt it

Unfortunately, that is the problem....................coffee1.gif

Never heard the phrase until now.

'Slope'

'Cheese eating surrender monkeys' - French, or,

'One eyed Scottish idiot' former prime minister Gordon Brown.

Which is more controversial, or, racist?

And for those who appear to think of Clarkson as a 'Ting Tong' he made his name as a journalist. Given that people read his work, he must surely have been and continues to be quite good at it?

Edited by delh

Off topic and inflammatory posts removed from view.

Also, if you report post for whatever reason, what is the point of replying to it? :blink:

Members that do that on a regular basis will not have their reports taken seriously in the future.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Jeremy Clarkson is racist, funny, and simply awesome.

Every episode has a slight against various races and religions.

Interesting. Could you explain, in detail, exactly what it is you find so awesome about racism without sounding like a horrible prick?

Oh you are funny Bpai........

i'm planning to drive in Burma in the is next year or so. So I watched the show to get some idea o=f what it might be like. I certainly didn't realise that the VERY FIRST UK people to be allowed to drive through Burma were going to take such a flippant attitude to the country and i wonder what damage they've done for future visitors

Probably the same amount of damage he did when he mocked southern rednecks and their old beater cars in the US.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

or the mexican sports car incident

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=796_1322406985

Just forget it and get a stiff black cock down your throat.

it's not worth arguing about.

According to the late great Princess Diana most of the yobs we're "on about" in this thread cultivate a diction remarkably close to this.

Thanks for clarifying this pronunciation issue for those of us who try use all our consonants.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well, well. Jeremy Clarkson makes an off-the-cuff comment which garners a huge controversy that brings out passionate views ranging from 'Jeremy is the wittiest person that exists' to "Jeremy is a limb of Satan who has made a dreadfully offensive statement and deserves to spend eternity watching endless reruns of 'Friends'"

How out if character, and surely it must be a mistake. I must set my alarm to ensure I don't miss a future episode. Must watch all the back episodes again very carefully. I need to buy every book he has written, and if he has a website log in every day. I will report everything - post what he says on forums, Facebook, I will Tweet the hell out of him.

He will be sorry.

Having lived and worked in Asia for 13 years, I now realise I have led a sheltered life.

I have never heard the "slope" expression used before and if some sensationalists hadn't written this drivel, I would still have been happily ignorant of it's meaning.

years ago the koreans and Philipinos used to be called slope heads, but I am thinkking that he may have been refering to the actual slope in the bridge as he is not old enough to remember the slur. overforty years ago.

to the point where laws are introduced to stop you airing your pea-brained views in public. EVERYONE will be much happier.

so your suggesting people of your mind set should move to North Korea then ?.....and what would be the punishment for said crimes ?......eaten by hungry dogs, firing squad, execution by mortar fire ?

to the point where laws are introduced to stop you airing your pea-brained views in public. EVERYONE will be much happier.

so your suggesting people of your mind set should move to North Korea then ?.....and what would be the punishment for said crimes ?......eaten by hungry dogs, firing squad, execution by mortar fire ?

So you're one of those people who think laws against inciting racial hatred impinge upon freedom if speech? Yeah thats fine except that racial slurs directed actively at someone are a public order offence, and inciting racial hatred impinges upon other people's essential human rights, which supercedes issues regarding freedom of expression.

Since you asked.

You know what would be purely poetic - if the 'slope' on the bridge approached Sir Jeremy and offered him a sandwich.

Then, BAM, popped him in the jaw. Dreadfully sorry love, a 'knuckle sandwich' that is. Only playing love, no reason to get irritated or get all PC on your high horse.

Fade to black...

He'd need to call ten of his mates first though.

I have never heard the word used outside of Australia, where it was used most certainly in a derogatory way - so either Clarkson thought it was a joke very few people would get or indeed the bridge did just have a distinct slope to it.

Hard to believe come the editing stage that they would have risked leaving in a remark that could be so easily construed as racist, so i assume it was not meant., surely.....

Australians who call the british pommes, none of them can explain why though. if clarkson was an australian it would be racist, since aussies are all crooks, or at least thats where the genes came from

Whenever have the Brits been an oppressed minority?

Since we joined the European Union. sad.png

So you're one of those people who think laws against inciting racial hatred impinge upon freedom if speech? Yeah thats fine except that racial slurs directed actively at someone are a public order offence, and inciting racial hatred impinges upon other people's essential human rights, which supercedes issues regarding freedom of expression.

Since you asked.

"<deleted> hell! Arguing with racists is considered trolling now is it? Jesus mate. No, trolling is when INNOCENT people are randomly victimized, not when neo-fascists receive a counter argument"

Of course you have no problem with making remarks which could be interpreted as being blasphemous in using JC's name in vain ?

These remarks could be interpreted by those with a religious slant as inciting religious hatred

So.....am I be racist if I'm playing golf with an Asian person and I say there's a big slope on the green? Do you the person would be angry?

I doubt it.

It all depends if you're simply talking about the topography of the golf green... or if you're

in fact making a racist slur as a callous racist and trying to be subtle (but unsuccessfully).

Having lived and worked in Asia for 13 years, I now realise I have led a sheltered life.

I have never heard the "slope" expression used before and if some sensationalists hadn't written this drivel, I would still have been happily ignorant of it's meaning.

+1, a shitstorm about buggerall by the PC brigade as usual!

I am going to bet my next 12 months salary that you actually have no idea what "PC" or "politically correct" actually means, and are just using it in this context because you are accustomed to use certain terms in particular situations due to social conditioning. It is like when people use the term "semantics" because they have trained themselves, based on positive reactions in particular situations; when in actual fact, they do not have the faintest clue of its actual meaning. If you think I am mistaken, then please explain to me the accurate meaning of "PC" without using Google or any other search engine first, okay?

Edited by tookwan cottage

How can Thailand complain about racism, when they practise the most blatant racism with their duel pricing and business ownership laws

This thread is mostly western racists and westerners complaining about the western racists. And you're an idiot. Do you think the variety of racism practiced against foreigners in Thailand is in any way equal to the crimes committed against minorities in the west? Slavery, police brutality, racial profiling, stop and search, George Zimmerman?

Its the most INFURIATINGLY idiotic thing to equate the racism practiced against whites to the racism practiced against non-white. They are in no way similar, they are light years apart, and its always bigotted halfwits trying to justify their petty minded bigotry who trot that one out.

And I've never seen so many bigotted halfwits in one place. Its like a klan rally. You lot must have developed your thumbs literally weeks ago. Try using them to pick up a book. Then read it. Preferably not Mein Kampf.

+1 + 1 +1

Bpai, thanks to you, maybe the folks who have no clue about the actual nature of racism

(what it is, and how dark and evil and destructive it is) will maybe begin to understand.

You have said so clearly and accurately what often needs to be said on this forum where

blatant bigotry is too often way over the top.

Thanks for the post. It's good to see that reasonable folks still exist.

Edited by BradinAsia

Surprised so many haven't heard the term or more so that so many haven't watched pulp fiction?

Christopher walkin - He'd be damned if any slopes were gonna put their greasy yella hands on his boy's birthright........

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailan

I like to think of myself as quite a well travelled Brit but I also have never heard, or thought I had never heard this term. I correct myself because I do remember the Walkin line in Pulp Fiction, but only because I have seen the movie many times. However I had always ignored the comment because I didn't understand it and just put it down to some American slang. Now I think about it it's of course obvious.

I think it's clear that this term is not in common use by Brits. We have a quite varied available rascist vocabulary, but the word "slope" is not in it. It's clearly a term that our Aussie & American cousins are very familiar with though, probably because of the US involvement in Vietnam/Korea and the Aussies are closers to Asia than we.

I'm a great fan of Jeremy Clarkson because he says whatever he wants and if people chose to be offended by it that is up to them. Personally I think it was not his intend to be rascist here because he doesn't do subtle. This is the man who, on national TV, had Hitler and then Jesus on a bike a few weeks ago, during the BA cabin crew strike a few years ago accused them of being all "homosexuals driving Audi TTs", when listing the the daily activities of a truck driver included, and this is verbatim " kill a prostitute", he refers to the French as " garlic munchers", and as a general term for anyone who doesn't agree with him as "homosexual". A man who on his Vietnam special had a Harley Davidson painted in Stars and Stripes and blearing out " Born in the USA".

My point is, he doesn't care what people think of him and if he was going to be rascist he wouldn't have used a term that few if any people watching BBC2 would every heard of.

SDM

Disclaimer, the opinions mentioned in this post are not mine.

Don't be ridiculous,Brits are PERFECTLY aware of this term in its racist form. to suggest that Clarkson, a writer and TV presenter wouldn't be aware of the word is just nonsense.

Don't tell us what we are aware of. I am a well educated and travelled Englishman. I have never heard of it. I have spoken to my friends at home who have watched the episode and they have never heard of it.

SDM

i'm planning to drive in Burma in the is next year or so. So I watched the show to get some idea o=f what it might be like. I certainly didn't realise that the VERY FIRST UK people to be allowed to drive through Burma were going to take such a flippant attitude to the country and i wonder what damage they've done for future visitors

Probably the same amount of damage he did when he mocked southern rednecks and their old beater cars in the US.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I don't see a single point here that in anyway justifies the use of the word.

Other than the fact of course that the bridge was on a slope, doesn't that justify it? Should we really be afraid to use words accurately when there might be a secondary meaning.

SDM

Edited by SDM0712

i'm planning to drive in Burma in the is next year or so. So I watched the show to get some idea o=f what it might be like. I certainly didn't realise that the VERY FIRST UK people to be allowed to drive through Burma were going to take such a flippant attitude to the country and i wonder what damage they've done for future visitors.

I expect a lot of government officials will get to watch this show to see how their respective countries are portrayed by the BBC - this isn't going to help future visitors to the country one bit.

Perhaps so, but anyone familiar with Top Gear would have been expecting exactly this.

I saw the episode and heard him make the statement. Totally missed the "slur". Checking on peer to peer sharing sites this morning and found Sunday's episode has blown up the Internet making it one of the most viewed ever.

Great for ratings. Last year Clarkson mentioned Mexicans were lazy. More outrage mostly by Mexicans and higher ratings.

You're a disgrace to your country.

Only in your opinion.

Anyone else think that bpai is trolling?

<deleted> hell! Arguing with racists is considered trolling now is it? Jesus mate. No, trolling is when INNOCENT people are randomly victimized, not when neo-fascists receive a counter argument.

I am not your mate.

I suspect some of your posts are designed to provoke reaction. This is my opinion. I am entitled to it. Google 'trolling'

right you're not, I don't associate with fact-averse neophytes who defend racist slurs and accuse those who disagree with them of being disingenuous (as trolls are), as if anyone could only oppose such bone idle stupid tosh as has been spouted here as some kind of pretence. Google civil rights movement.

Now now, calm down. You appear to be getting yourself into a bit of a tizz. Glad to see you are now referring to trolls in more of a correct manner, well done.