Jeremy Clarkson accused of 'racism' during Top Gear series finale in Thailand

webfact

OK - how about some of the Clarkson appoogists go home and call their wives a "slope"?

You just don't get it, do you? No one called anyone anything, Nothing to apologise for.

Apart from the person on the bridge?

Have you actually watched the clip? Whoever it was would not have heard anything and if he was a local, would not have understood it anyway.

If, however, for example, one of them had said, "There's a slope on the bridge" and the other had replied, "That's because it was built by slopes", then it would have obviously been a racist remark and unacceptable to a lot more viewers (assuming they understood the word in that context).

Edited by laobali

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I expected, the pissing brigade is here & this topic is now off-topic.

Of course we are. The role of PC-folks in life is to provide entertainment to others. Too bad I don't have balloons, the hot air might lift them up nicely.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Er... may I draw your attention to the original list - number 8. - QED

So racism is just a one-way street? How convenient. Oh I forgot! Only whites can be racists.
Or are they on your list too?

You might want to check out some history and find out when nonwhites actually managed to oppress and exploit the populations of 3 continents and created a pseudoscientific doctrine of racial hierarchy to support their activities ...... To save you some time.....it never happened.

Here's an idea, ignore H1's question. Maybe it'll go away.

OK - how about some of the Clarkson appoogists go home and call their wives a "slope"?

You just don't get it, do you? No one called anyone anything, Nothing to apologise for.

Have you actually watched the clip? Whoever it was would not have heard anything and if he was a local, would not have understood it anyway.

If, however, for example, one of them had said, "There's a slope on the bridge" and the other had replied, "That's because it was built by slopes", then it would have obviously been a racist remark and unacceptable to a lot more viewers (assuming they understood the word in that context).

So in your book it's OK to racially slur someone so long as they can't hear?

People are jumping on a band wagon getting upset over a few words that mean nothing to them nor does it mean anything to who it was supposedly intended for. The majority of posts are for either hate of jc or other instances other than the OP.

Some of the replies I can imagine people have been red faced banging their fists or sobbing in their beer because they are upset.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, plenty of replies, but nothing to answer H1's questions then? Evade the awkward one, why don't you. Nice whistling.gif

Edited by delh

These people complaining must be part of the small percentage in England that don't use the word 'Paki' when refering to southern Asians. I guess Paki is a term of endearment, not racistm. Or maybe they suffer from selective indignation.v

Sent from my GT-S7270 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You guessed wrong. Allow me to educate you as it's clear whatever system you were brought up in has failed you.

The word paki is not a term of endearment and I shudder to think that the majority of the country he's this word. I suspect you come from a background in which manners and respect for people of other nationalities are not considered.

In future try to consider how such comments may be perceived by others. Or perhaps that was your point.

In terms of slope I have only heard it referenced in movies such as pulp fiction or apocalypse now and both times I'm sure it was used in a derogatory way. I'm not sure if there is a non derogatory way to use the word. If there is then someone please enlighten me.

People are jumping on a band wagon getting upset over a few words that mean nothing to them nor does it mean anything to who it was supposedly intended for. The majority of posts are for either hate of jc or other instances other than the OP.

Some of the replies I can imagine people have been red faced banging their fists or sobbing in their beer because they are upset.

Perhaps but threads like this are useful to help identify individuals who believe using racially derogatory terms are acceptable. I'm obviously referring to the quote in my post above.

Perhaps but threads like this are useful to help identify individuals who believe using racially derogatory terms are acceptable.

and what happens when said miscreants are identifed ?.......A visit at their residence in the middle of the night by the TV Thought police and dragged out of bed and beaten up ?

TV's very own PC "men in black" ?....Woops is saying "men in black" interpreted as being racist ?

As this thread lurches sickeningly towards triple digits, I can only pray that Mister Clarkson doesn't hear about it. We wouldn't want this popularity to go to his head and make him an arrogant ego-monster, or anything.

Interesting to note how as the racists realise their arguments are looking more and more implausible, they resort to as hominem comments orvtry to trivialise the argument with attempts at jokes.

Oh dear..or of course people are just getting tired of the PC rhetoric and have decided as JC does to take the p*ss out of the "Mary Whitehouses" on here..

Call me a bigot,.call me a Racist if you must,....I care not a jot...thumbsup.gif ....sticks and stones and all that

Interesting to note how as the racists realise their arguments are looking more and more implausible, they resort to as hominem comments orvtry to trivialise the argument with attempts at jokes.

Oh dear..or of course people are just getting tired of the PC rhetoric and have decided as JC does to take the p*ss out of the "Mary Whitehouses" on here..

Call me a bigot,.call me a Racist if you must,....I care not a jot...thumbsup.gif ....sticks and stones and all that

QED -

Nobody's called you anything......doesn't that ring a bell???

____________________________________________________________________________________

Yes, home in on comments, in this case, unanswered questions. Not necessarily from racists though, just the PC's seeing things that way.

Still no answer to H1's questions from you? Why would that be?

Of course Clarkson is exploiting an opportunity, but not the one you wish it to be. Just for the sake of it, go on, answer H1's questions?

Whoa, AWESOME comeback! Ouch! That stings! If I'd known you were going to break out the puns, followed by emoticons laughing at your own puns, I never would have entered into a debate with you. You're just too powerful to overcome. You're an intellectual powerhouse, and a rampaging wit to boot. I didn't realise, I'm sorry. Please forgive me. I'm not worthy. Probably you've spent years on the comedy circuit honing your material to lampoon pour suckers like me who stumble into your despicably witty web.

I'm simply never going to get over this one.

FYI, if you want to actually address any of the points I made, or answer the two questions I proposed about your comments, or talk about the part where I directly quoted you so everyone could see the things you claimed never to have said, now's probably the time... unless you're too busy thinking of puns...

Give it a rest--Please.

You know you're not being forced too look at this page right? I'll stop replying to racism apologists when they stop defending racism. Tell them to give THAT a rest . I notice you didn't ask douchebag to give it a rest when his response to me asking him to defend himself was a one line pun about masturbating.

My post was directed to the posters who still continue to keep the out of date post open. My earlier post spoke about it.

I am not here to instruct, it was a plea really.

It nearly looks like people are wanting to accrue as many posts as possible. Come on was the SLOPE word used directly at an Asian ??? if no then the whole blown out of proportion topic is near pointless. UNLESS we keep it open eternally just for racist non racist rants. PROVE IT WAS SAID FOR A RACIST REMARK.... it's in the mind, whatever you want to think. Clarkson is one of those LOVED/HATED type

of person, hence the reaction.[/quote

Ooh yeah, the, um, post count thing ooooooo. So yeah ok, post count, out of date criticism of oh so witty British ikon.

RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

@wilcopops,

I agree with your explanations about the political game in the obstination in some countries to say "Burma" instead of Myanmar.

But I stand to the point that the use of this word has a colonial connotation.

The word Burma has also an ethnic/racial connotation. That's why it is often used by people from the burmese-nationalist side (including Aung San Suu Kyi).

Myanmar and Burma have the SAME ethnic racial connotations...do your homework.

You've changed your stance from your first post.....you had to because you were wrong in assuming that people use it in a colonial nostalgiavway....it is political.

As I said the problem with a lot of the comments on this thread is that they are made by posters who simply dont have the right information or understand the issues....but hell that doesn't seem to stop them from posting totally baseless arguments

Hahahaha...... great joke.

Keep it up Clarky....

BTW 'slope' is not derogatory... It comes from the Vietnam war and was used by US troops to refer to Vietnamese Communist troops.

Gooks, slopes, Cong, VC, Charlies ..... etc.

Not for defaming reasons, but more a casual military designation.

When the Brits liberated the Falkland Islands. The British Squadies referred to the island locals as 'Bennies'.... If you are a Brit you should know what I mean. For those who don't... Benny was the name of a popular 70s soap opera character, who happened to be mildly retarded.

The military put out a communique to all squaddies and contractors not to refer to the locals as 'Bennies'... So after that everyone referred to them as 'stills'.

They're 'still' Bennies........ lol.

It's probably best to not connect Gooks with stuff to do with Thailand.

There's actually a fair number of Vietnamese in certain parts of Thailand, they might reckon Gooks refers to them !

Actually, some of the Vietnamese in America reckon Gooks is about them as well. :)

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pag

You've changed your stance from your first post.....you had to because you were wrong in assuming that people use it in a colonial nostalgiavway....it is political.

As I said the problem with a lot of the comments on this thread is that they are made by posters who simply dont have the right information or understand the issues....but hell that doesn't seem to stop them from posting totally baseless arguments

Still no answers to H1's question then wink.png

its recently been announced that the old BBC series 'IT AINT HALF HOT MUM ' has been banned on the BBC for them to show reruns as its now considered racist , as it had performers blacking up their faces ,its getting ridiculous these days .

693 posts over a joke made by someone who is known to press the limits of civility for a laugh. What do you people expect? It's not like a bashed a baby seal in the head with a club.

Yeap 694 posts about a slope on a bridge

Didnt realise there where so many posters on TV interested in Bridge construction and engineering....biggrin.png