Jeremy Clarkson accused of 'racism' during Top Gear series finale in Thailand

webfact

'That is a proud moment, but there's a slope on it': Jeremy Clarkson accused of 'racism' during Top Gear series finale in Thailand
By DAILY MAIL REPORTER

jc.jpg

(Thailand) Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson has found himself at the centre of an alleged racism row following a comment he made during the final show of the series.

The 53-year-old is heard saying: 'That is a proud moment, but there's a slope on it', as a man walked towards them on their makeshift bridge over the River Kwai in Thailand.

Viewers took to Twitter in shock following his use of the word 'slope' in the second episode of the two-part special, which is apparently considered a derogatory term for people of Asian decent.

One fan commented: ''There's a slope on it'? Sorry @BBC_TopGear that's a step too far. Not big, not clever, not funny. All the best for the future.'

Another wrote: 'Topgear - There's a slope on it - Subtle racism!', while another viewer appeared to agree: 'That slope joke on Top Gear tonight was ill advised. A great show ultimately spoilt by a gag too far.'

The criticism continued: 'Unbelievable that @BBC_TopGear are allowed to broadcast such racist and disrespectful rubbish so proudly on the #bbc'. [read more...]

Full story: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2582833/Jeremy-Clarkson-accused-racism-Top-Gear-series-finale-Thailand.html

-- Daily Mail 2014-03-18

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having lived and worked in Asia for 13 years, I now realise I have led a sheltered life.

I have never heard the "slope" expression used before and if some sensationalists hadn't written this drivel, I would still have been happily ignorant of it's meaning.

Hahahaha...... great joke.

Keep it up Clarky....

BTW 'slope' is not derogatory... It comes from the Vietnam war and was used by US troops to refer to Vietnamese Communist troops.

Gooks, slopes, Cong, VC, Charlies ..... etc.

Not for defaming reasons, but more a casual military designation.

When the Brits liberated the Falkland Islands. The British Squadies referred to the island locals as 'Bennies'.... If you are a Brit you should know what I mean. For those who don't... Benny was the name of a popular 70s soap opera character, who happened to be mildly retarded.

The military put out a communique to all squaddies and contractors not to refer to the locals as 'Bennies'... So after that everyone referred to them as 'stills'.

They're 'still' Bennies........ lol.

Edited by PepperMe

you can clearly see from the pic that there is a slope to the right of the bridge and the hand gesture is also a clue but Jeremy could also be using a double meaning .

looks like it could have been built by locals . thais are always taking the piss out of us farangs but are not happy if we do the same with them .

Edited by keith101

People love nothing more than to be offended and indignant about something. I guess it makes them feel superior. It was a play on words, a pun that makes one groan, not a political statement.

Lighten up.

Edited by canuckamuck

sorry, am i missing something, this is the 21st century isnt it

Yup.... I think light-hearted humour should really just be accepted.

I personally think most things are a target for humour if not maliciously meant and clearly for innocent fun, then political correctness should not be allowed to get in the way.

If people's feelings get hurt over a harmless quip, who cares?.... get over it is what I say... People need to turn their objections to those who start wars etc and get other people killed or cause massive sufferings rather than dwelling on stupid little things like this.

I watched this earlier at 1st I thought it was James May walking across until he made his slope remark.

The BBC doesn't take kindly to remarks like that, but yet they aired it.

I think it was a bit out of order but with my British humour I did a chuckle only at his gall to come out with that..

There will be more on this I can guarantee, he will get his arse kicked and so will the editor.

Not being of the Vietnam era, I had to google "slope". Many definitions, one of which claimed it is an acronym for "Silly Little Opium Peddling Easterner".

Slope is mild really, compared to other Clarkson insults.

Living in Asia over 10 years and grew up with many Asians and had Asian GF's in America and I have never heard of this term. Must be a British thing. Stupid comment if it is true. Classic Clarklson though. Been waiting for this episode.

Having lived and worked in Asia for 13 years, I now realise I have led a sheltered life.

I have never heard the "slope" expression used before and if some sensationalists hadn't written this drivel, I would still have been happily ignorant of it's meaning.

+1, a shitstorm about buggerall by the PC brigade as usual!

Clarkson`s comment can be taken to mean the bridge is not level or as a racist term.

Problem is, because of his past reputation for making racist comments, many are going to believe that Clarkson was indeed being, racist.

Personally I have not heard of the word slope pertaining to Asian people, doubt if many have, and again this appears to be a load of hot air blown up by the do gooders and the left wing politically correct brigades.

Edited by Beetlejuice

No big deal. I'm a slope, chink, and oriental myself.

There are worse things being slung around these days such as M79's and stupidity on the streets of Thailand then having to worry about the occasional classroom joke from a brilliant automotive white ape named Jeremy. Get over it and never watch another episode then.

same, never heard of it and I doubt very much that Clarkson has either, I watched the show and didn't think of anything weird because the bridge they built did have a slope on it and the guy on the bridge looks like one of the crew

+1, a shitstorm about buggerall by the PC brigade as usual!

No not really had a black guy been walking over the bridge with a racoon in the shot, he could of said oh there's a coon on the bridge.

That would be racist and would cause a shit storm here in the UK, but if someone from Asia with sloped eyes, as the term originally comes from (mainly speaking of the Chinese) it makes it alright?

Living in Asia over 10 years and grew up with many Asians and had Asian GF's in America and I have never heard of this term. Must be a British thing. Stupid comment if it is true. Classic Clarklson though. Been waiting for this episode.

I'm british and never heard it. It's not like the bridge is level is it.

Clarkson`s comment can be taken to mean the bridge is not level or as a racist term.

Problem is, because of his past reputation for making racist comments, many are going to believe that Clarkson was indeed being, racist.

Personally I have not heard of the word slope pertaining to Asian people, doubt if many have, and again this appears to be a load of hot air blown up by the do gooders and the left wing politically correct brigades.

Aussie Soldiers in WW11 use to call the Japanese slopes and they word has been around as long as I can remember. Slopes and round eyes

I didn't see the show. But, looking at the attached photo, with the guy appearing as if he is eyeing a sloping bridge, and presuming the "makeshift" bridge might have been built for, or part of, the show, one just might think that he was referring to the unleveled roadbed. Then again, he could have found an opportunity for a bad pun.

However, Clarkson will always be my hero for punching Piers Morgan in the face!

Edited by Curt1591

same, never heard of it and I doubt very much that Clarkson has either, I watched the show and didn't think of anything weird because the bridge they built did have a slope on it and the guy on the bridge looks like one of the crew

Maybe he should have said there is a lean on it.

Slope is a US troops Vietnam war circa term to refer to the Vietnamese in a less than flattering way. If you watch movies like Apocalypse Now you will hear it. I thought that term was long retired. Not sure if Clarkson meant it in a racist way, but he is a shock jockey anyway.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Surprised so many haven't heard the term or more so that so many haven't watched pulp fiction?

Christopher walkin - He'd be damned if any slopes were gonna put their greasy yella hands on his boy's birthright.

Not sure that was the first time I heard it. Defo originated in ww2 era - and popular in Vietnam war also. attributing the origin to the acronym silly little oriental etc.....is a total wives tale. Utter rubbish. It's the less cerebral origin - typical Asian ocular characteristics.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by getthaid

You've got to love the irony..JC in a racial row in one of the most racist countries in the world.

Pretty sure that none of the complaints are coming from Thailand, the UK has to have the most PC people on earth. Most of them probably unaware that we are referred to (quite openly) as FARANG.

Keep it up Jezza.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hahahaha...... great joke.

Keep it up Clarky....

BTW 'slope' is not derogatory... It comes from the Vietnam war and was used by US troops to refer to Vietnamese Communist troops.

Gooks, slopes, Cong, VC, Charlies ..... etc.

Not for defaming reasons, but more a casual military designation.

When the Brits liberated the Falkland Islands. The British Squadies referred to the island locals as 'Bennies'.... If you are a Brit you should know what I mean. For those who don't... Benny was the name of a popular 70s soap opera character, who happened to be mildly retarded.

The military put out a communique to all squaddies and contractors not to refer to the locals as 'Bennies'... So after that everyone referred to them as 'stills'.

They're 'still' Bennies........ lol.

From above:

"BTW 'slope' is not derogatory... It comes from the Vietnam war and was used by US troops to refer to Vietnamese Communist troops.

Gooks, slopes, Cong, VC, Charlies ..... etc."

I was a soldier in Vietnam in that period and I agree that these words were used to describe the enemy, but at least in some areas 'slopes' was used as a derogatory label for all Vietnamese.

Edited by scorecard