VISA PayWave rolling out in Thailand

Just a bit of news.

Contactless EMV payments have arrived (OK are arriving).

I noticed on Saturday that our local Tesco have deployed Bangkok Bank VISA PayWave terminals.

Sadly the chuckout lady had no idea about them (they appeared overnight) and has had no training yet, it's live and powered but I wasn't going to try my UK PayWave card on it :)

Our local Bangkok Bank branch are equally clueless, can't let me know when a PayWave card will be available, or whether my UK card will work (it works on the KLIA Ekspres in Malaysia).

By some mysterious means your purchases are recognised and at the point of sale totalled and you are invited to pay.......

How It Works

A special computer chip embedded in the card with Visa payWave employs the latest technology for sending payment information to a secure reader at the point of sale. The chip can only be read when in close proximity (within 1-2 inches) to the secure reader, and it must be correctly oriented to be processed. After waving your card in front of it, the reader will light up and beep to inform you that your information has been received and is being processed through Visa’s secure network.

Visa payWave isn't just easier—it’s more secure. You remain in control of your card during the entire transaction, further reducing the risk of fraud. However, in the event that a Visa payWave transaction cannot be completed, you can still make a swiped transaction, so you still enjoy the wide acceptance of traditional Visa cards.

I had to go look it up. Just a VISA credit (debit too?) card you wave in front of a reader to pay for your purchases. I really don't understand the benefit of it as I don't use credit cards in Thailand except on very rare occasions. I use cash or my Thai bank debit card (which seems to be all I want or need).

Perhaps the OP will tell us the magical benefits of having one of these cards?

• Like 1

I had to go look it up. Just a VISA credit (debit too?) card you wave in front of a reader to pay for your purchases. I really don't understand the benefit of it as I don't use credit cards in Thailand except on very rare occasions. I use cash or my Thai bank debit card (which seems to be all I want or need).

As I understand it the magnetic strip on your debit card can easily be copied and the pin number recorded. By waving your card at the reader neither of these can happen. Just wait till someone designs a reader for wave cards. Oh how is miss my chip'n pin.

PayWave is the next step from chip-and-pin, the big security plus is that the card never leaves your possession.

Depending upon configuration and transaction value you may just need to wave the card, or additionally be asked to enter your pin on a pin-pad and/or sign the transaction slip.

If you ride on a London bus you can pay your fare directly with a PayWave VISA card, as a tourist very handy not having to buy an Oyster card.

Paywave (and the MasterCard version PayPass) are potentially already being overtaken by NFC with Host Card Emulation (already built in to Android KitKat) in the cloud which is theoretically even more secure, until someone shows that it's not sad.png

A little light reading http://www.apsca.org/infodesk/intouch.php?id=7

As I understand it the magnetic strip on your debit card can easily be copied and the pin number recorded. By waving your card at the reader neither of these can happen. Just wait till someone designs a reader for wave cards. Oh how is miss my chip'n pin.

the magnetic strip does not contain the PIN.

They already have. When the technology was introduced into the credit card, and expert was on Television news to show just how easy it is to scan the card if you swipe it close to a persons body, I. E., cardn wallet in back pocket. This person was able to obtain all sort of personal information. He was stating that this type card can be swiped so they were making people aware of this. The cards have a symbol on the front or back of the card to show a small icon looks something like an icon of a speaker for sound or volume. Card holder beware. He also noted that the equipment to scan the new technology is easy to obtain. Sounds kind of scary!

the magnetic strip does not contain the PIN.

Absolutely right NAAM. Re-reading my english makes me question my education. I meant to say "and the pin number recorded by camera or other means".

They already have. When the technology was introduced into the credit card, and expert was on Television news to show just how easy it is to scan the card if you swipe it close to a persons body, I. E., cardn wallet in back pocket. This person was able to obtain all sort of personal information. He was stating that this type card can be swiped so they were making people aware of this. The cards have a symbol on the front or back of the card to show a small icon looks something like an icon of a speaker for sound or volume. Card holder beware. He also noted that the equipment to scan the new technology is easy to obtain. Sounds kind of scary!

The equipment to scan the card is indeed readily available, and you can get some information 'in the clear' off the card.

What you cannot do, despite a certain episode of NCIS, is get enough information to create a duplicate card and make transactions with it.

PayWave uses security in excess of CC-EAL 5 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Criteria http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaluation_Assurance_Level nobody has come close to cracking even CC-EAL 4 the security used by NXPs DESfire card (used by the Rabbit card), for now it's at least as safe as chip-and-pin.

The equipment to scan the card is indeed readily available, and you can get some information 'in the clear' off the card.

What you cannot do, despite a certain episode of NCIS, is get enough information to create a duplicate card and make transactions with it.

PayWave uses security in excess of CC-EAL 5 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Criteria http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaluation_Assurance_Level nobody has come close to cracking even CC-EAL 4 the security used by NXPs DESfire card (used by the Rabbit card), for now it's at least as safe as chip-and-pin.

Few places in Thailand can use the Chip, and even less operators check the signature on dockets against the one on the card.

Ask John Travolta, apparently living in Thailand and signing as such on his dockets. No one checks!

In Australia, the responsibility is the stores', and when a family member left his card behind one day, and someone used it for a shopping spree, the bank refunded everything, and no doubt got the stores to pay up.

My bro-in-law didn't even know he'd forgotten the card, and the bank phoned him to confirm that as a 65y.o., he really was buying a new surf board and gear,