Foreign credit card on Major Cineplex website

I just tried to use my UK Halifax mastercard to buy tickets on the MajorCineplex website and my card was declined. It seems to be trying to open the securesite.co.uk website where normally I would be asked to enter extra security info but just returned to the KrungSri payment gateway with the declined message. I used the same card on the 3BB website and was able to enter the extra security info so it's not a problem with the card in Thailand per se.

Anybody managed to successfully book tickets with a foreign, preferably UK credit card?

cheers

damole

securesite.co.uk is not a genuine payment gateway site - if you open it yourself in a browser you will see what I mean. It looks to me as if it belongs to a hosting company and I suspect that MajorCineplex should be taking you to securesite.co.uk:xxxx where xxxx is a code for a different part of the site. That would indicate that MajorCineplex have not set their site up correctly to go to the right place - their bad!

If the same card works on the 3BB website that almost proves it! I suspect it will go to MasterCard SecureCode, It probably uses what's called 3D Secure. See here for an explanation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-D_Secure

The reason I say that is I'm currently engaged on a software testing contract in UK and I'm testing secure Credit Card payments.whistling.gif A certain amount of "inside knowledge" there folks rolleyes.gif

​And, gentle readers, from what I've seen, I would NEVER use one of my bank or credit cards on any third party (retailer, supplier) site in Thailand. The number of security holes is frightening! w00t.gif I bet when it tries to make the payment, it doesn't even show https: in the browser! If it doesn't.....it's NOT secure - the "s" stands for secure.

I now have a pre-paid card for my travels - no connection with my bank or personal credit. (Of course the problem damole posted about could still happen but in that case, I'd have to use cash!)

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

Had a similar experience trying to do an online top up of my Truemove-H account with a foreign credit card. The redirect to the 3D Secure website was working, but upon returning to the Truemove site, the payment was declined. Could seem like the integration with 3D Secure is poorly implemented in both cases.

Disturbingly, the amount was still debuted from my credit card! Even though the True eventually did clear up the matter (several weeks later), I would recommend you check your card statement for the transaction.

I didn't post the full securesite URL but it did have Halifax in it and took me to a 3Dsecurecode Halifax page with correct logo.

After this happened I contacted MajorCineplex using their contact form to ask if their site accepted foreign cards and they managed to tie up my contact form and failed payments because of the matching email addresses and send me the 4 failed transactions, not with full cc number included fortunately and and explained they they had been cancelled already.

The payment gateways in Thailand always seem to be a high bank website where you enter credit card details and not the merchant site itself so in this case it is the KrungSri bank gateway hosted on cybersource that is not passing the correct info to securesite if that is the problem.

post-38660-0-23714700-1395250470_thumb.p

I always check to see that the address is https. I have never had a problem yet although I know that is not a guarantee of future outcomes.

I always use one of my own computers to do any financial transactions as I know they are clean and virus free. I'm an ex-computer programmer so I know how to do this properly. I also check my card statement regularly to look for any suspicious transactions

I ended up buying an MCash prepay topup card which I will use for future bookings.

cheers

damole

I just bought a new phone online form tohome.com, this time the payment gateway was Kasikorn bank and tohome.com say they won't allow foreign cards that don't support verified by visa or Mastercard Securecode. After entering my details on the Kasikorn site I was successfully taken to the securesuite.co.uk page (I wrote securesite by mistake in my earlier post) entered the necessary details and the payment was verified and hopefully the phone will be here in a few days. :-)

--damole