Thai customs

PBR

From a 57 year old Australian in West Australia.

I hope to come to Thailand on a retirement visa next year, and stay for at least several years.

How do I go bringing in our (currently in use) household effects?

I'd anticipated maybe 2 cubic metres mainly non furniture items, like books, small stereo, TV, kitchen stuff, clothes etc for 3 people. Do Thai customs have any interest in stuff like this?

Are there specific difficulties importing (my own) desktop and/or laptop computer?

Does anyone have any specific recommendations as to what to take, and what not to take??

Many thanks - can't wait to get there!

Have never tried and believe most people living here don't bother as it is likely to be costly/time consuming/and a headache.  But don't know for sure as avoided it.  As it seems there are three of you I would just bring on plane what items you want for personal reasons and buy things like tv, kitchen things here.  Current price of 25" TV is about 7-10k Baht.  Bring laptop with you but I would just bring the hard drive of a desktop myself.   Cel 1.7 desktops run under 20k currently.  But perhaps someone who has done this import on a retirement visa can provide better information.

One of our friends down in Pat.posted this a few weeks ago.

I am sure he Barry wont mind if you ask...

I have just imported 30 meter cube of my houshold effects, I am a Brit but was living in spain. I imported it on a tourist visa. But I do beleive if you are on a retirement visa it should be tax free. Electrical goods are one of each or you pay tax. If you want any further info, my e-mail address is [email protected], I can explain better.

Also.

For any inquiries regarding our services, please inform us via the contact form or our address:  

JVK International Movers Ltd.

222 Krungthep-Kreetha Road, Huamark, Bangkapi, Bangkok 10240, Thailand

Tel. (66) 02 - 379 4646

Fax. (66) 02 - 379 5050, 379 4636

E-mail: [email protected]

Might be of help...

::o:

I came here on an ED-visa in December. I had my computer and other personal stuff sent by air cargo from Sweden in total 6 boxes (100 kilo). I declared that the computer was for my study and all the other stuff was for personal use since I planned to stay here for one year.

The officials told me that since I don’t have a work permit I had to pay tax for the computer. However there was some people at the cargo terminal working as “agents” and the helped me with all the paperwork’s and imported all 6 boxes as T-shirts (who I assume are no tax on). This “service” was not for free though. The “agent” wanted 2500 THB for it.      

:blues:

I am obviously not going to bring my desktop puter with me but I was thinking of getting a nice laptop as a replacement. It seems to me that laptops are no cheaper in BKK than in the USA and if I bought one before I go I could configure it and load it up the way I want with all my files.

Does Toshiba have service there?

Does it make sense to buy the laptop before I come?

Well no, we're not three retirees. In fact we're a family with one teenage daughter - I'm the only one over 55.

I presume my wife's going to have to do the 3 monthly visa run till she's 'of age'. Since we have no marriage certificate, my daughter will have to join her.

I gather, from the mixed responses, that it's only electrical goods likely to cause problems. Stereo, computer & TV, & TV might as well be replaced there. Is there English language TV in Chiang Mai anyway?

I agree with above that it makes sense to get a laptop. They cost the much same in Oz as Bkk airport when last I passed through, & Thai www sites suggest the same. But not if you must pay Thai customs tax. To buy a new one in Thailand is not really satisfactory, as I want to keep my files. I understand tourists can pay a refundable deposit on a laptop. Is this a way to go until I get an extension on the O visa?

I eagerly await a reply to dthomasss.

Thanks  lot for the info Rinrada. I'll be in contact. It seems to be not quite as easy as boxing and transporting it. We need to take a good look at what is better replaced. It might also make sense to get there, sort out visas, then arrange for what we need to be freighted.

I have a multi entry 1 year "O" visa... I travel between Bangkok and Sydney every 2-3 months and carry my notebook with me on all flights... On every entry at Bangkok I have declared the notebook on the Customs form.. and every time I have been waved thru.

If you buy the notebook in Australia, be sure to get a "export form" at the Customs office at Perth Airport on departure... otherwise you could be stuck with tax if/when you bring it back to Australia in the future...

Your English language TV programs in CM will be available by cable and satellite..

Cheers..