Thailand at crossroads: Leaving Thaksin behind in his Dubai sandcastle

webfact

I want some of what you've been smoking!

"We are at a crossroads, poised to turn away from the old politics towards a politics of transparency, accountability and good governance; a politics of extensive participation and empowerment; a politics under the rule of law with moral and ethical standards as a way of life."

What is this person talking about? Thailand is not about to turn away from the old politics. Thailand is poised to turn away from democracy. A corrupt politician, claiming to be the champion of open government and transparency, is spearheading a move towards an appointed dictatorship, under which the ordinary citizen would have few, if any, democratic rights. Not quite pre-1932 but close enough. The only alternative is a democratically elected and accountable government that is representative of and has in mind the best interests of the whole country. That requires a major change in the attitudes in Thai society to their fellow countrymen. Although that may happen, it will take a long time - probably at least a generation.

• Like 2

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Electoral democracy

Are elections and coups your only platform for argument?

Democracy is about more than just elections; it's also about what happens after elections. Would you agree that the winning party should lose their mandate to govern if they later fail to abide by democratic priniples, despite having been democratically elected?

Do you agree with a political party gaining the power to govern by making extremely attractive promises when campaigning to the masses that, after winning, are not delivered, fall short, or if delivered would impart damage to the economy due to the need to borrow vastly?

• Like 1

one of the best and most accurate pieces I ever read - this extract describes PTP perfectly.....

This new threat has grown into the corporatism of a one-party authoritarianism flying populist colours in a democratic setting and striving by any means to gain electoral majorities.

Really?

It's (just another) Thaskin bash, this time from a fully bought and paid for (at the time) member of the type of nepotistic and sycophantic government that he now so handily despises because it is very convenient to distance oneself from institutions that he claims the more learned Thai public generally despise.

To me, it is what he doesn't say that is more significant. He rails ad nauseum against Thaksin and PTP but significantly does not mention the current Suthep/PDRC clown show either. Even poor old Abhisit/Dems aren't even in the same league as these 'progressive forces' that he claims are waiting in the wings.

However, even these nebulous new visionary leaders are still beholden to the palace and just like the incumbent caretaker government and their opposition, waiting for the other shoe to drop before doing anything meaningful. They will dither but the military won't.

By the way, "... corporatism of a one-party authoritarianism flying populist colours in a democratic setting and striving by any means to gain electoral majorities..." sounds more like Putin's Russia than anyone's Thailand.

• Like 1

" Such desperation implies acknowledgement of defeat. "

This is the silver lining in former foreign minister Kasit's well-written and timely article - that Thaksin's latest moves - and the desperation behind them, suggest a tacit acknowledgment of defeat. He's pulling out all the stops. Kasit encapsulates the argument well - with a lot of historical background. That's also encouraging - because history tends to form patterns and trends. And the trend in recent years has ebbed more away from Thaksin's interests than towards them. Like Nixon - he is the last to acknowledge defeat - even if everyone else has abandoned ship. Thaksin indeed belongs to a mindset and culture of the past. The Thai people have outgrown Thaksin. They don't want to go back to the culture of dependency he represents.

• Like 2

This is from the man who said it was fun (party) to shut down the airports in 2008. Who spoke on stage and partied in front of a closed Bangkok Airport.

The Nation disgraces itself again by publishing an article from such a person.

All in my opinion of course.

• Like 1

Would Kasit Piromya make a good Prime Minister for Thailand, I actually think he would, I don't know much about the man apart from the OP but I'd guess he is respected both Nationally and Internationally

Try investigating him assisting those shutting down the airport in 2008 ? You will find quotes of him saying it was "fun". You might learn he is one of the elite yellow PAD - and from that you can perhaps understand his opinion piece in the The Nation.

Respected ? Yes by Yellow shirts, PAD, PDRC, Suthep, Abhisit etc.......... perhaps.

• Like 1

one of the best and most accurate pieces I ever read - this extract describes PTP perfectly.....

This new threat has grown into the corporatism of a one-party authoritarianism flying populist colours in a democratic setting and striving by any means to gain electoral majorities.

If you remove the bit about elections and populism you have a description of Suthep and his bunch.

Holy Moley!.......Now I've read everything! Sheeshhh........? Progressive forces? Did I miss something taking place in Thailand over the last 4 Months? Could it be that this has-been is implying that Kuhn Suthep and his cohorts are the Progressive Force that will bring the Kingdom to the Crossroads or perhaps the Abyss? If so, why stop there Kuhn Kasit Piromya? Just say he is the NEW Moral Compass of Thailand! A genuine beacon of light in the darkness of Thai Politics. These so called progressive forces must man up and earn that title with a WIN at the ballot box! Let all eligible voters have an unobstructed opportunity to cast their vote in order to decide any future Path for the Kingdom to take.

he is referring to the Thai people in general I don't believe he mentioned Suthep

I believe Thailand has turned a page for the good of the people or could be called a new positive chapter - lets hope so

I also believe that social media has helped considerably - it's not so easy to fool people anymore

I also believe, that Khun Suthep has earned great merit for bringing Thailand forward. He helped to wake up people.

Without his action everything would be as before the failed amnesty bill, and then 180 days ... And who would pay attention to the big rice scam ?

About the article:

wouldn't it be nice ...

Believe it or not, but from a view of broadening and increasing political and democratic awareness, Thailand probably owes thaksin a great deal.

Oh the irony.

• Like 1

Fantastic article and in my opinion 100% accurate.

I knew this would fan the flames of the anti-suthep fire.

I am now convinced that these people actually want nothing good for Thailand. The type of people who criticize everything and anything Thai.

The last thing they want is progress. They are so blinded by hatred of certain people that they would be quite happy to watch this country retard into another Laos, so that they can sit and poke fun at it all day long with their feelings of self importance against all that surrounds them.

This OP has explained everything in a totally transparent and undeniable way.

Yet still they come to pour their derision..... I really do not know why Thailand entertains idiots like this.

Move to Africa if you want to feel culturally important in your surroundings, or seek help for treatment of your personal narcissistic disorders.

Suthep and the 'so called' elites you bang on about constantly actually have brought Thailand to this junction, nobody else has... Thailand has an opportunity it never had before for total eradication of all the things in this society that you lot have been bitching about for years, and this chance has not been handed to the people by Thaksin or Yingluck.

And before you say it... NO. The elites are not trying to grab power for themselves to abuse, they would not be trying to bring about political reforms, decentralization etc... making it impossible for them to have that ability to abuse their positions would they?

Onwards and upwards for Thailand.... Thaksin supporters, there is no place for you here.

• Like 2

I have no patience to go through all this anti-democratic stuff, so just let me vent about two quotes that jumped out at me:

>"Thailand at crossroads: Leaving Thaksin behind in his Dubai sandcastle"

How about leaving the coup-makers of 2006 and mostly the same coup-mongers of 2013/14 behind.....Voicing support for coup-mongers and against those with electoral roots is just so much folderol.

And before PAD-Dem's launch into trying to normalize the abnormal judiciary with respect to Thaksin, suffice it to say that only they buy into the program of coupists trying to justify their power grab with a judicial veneer, by demonizing those they coup'ed.

"...a new challenge to Thailand's cultural integrity has emerged in the form of the dominance of money and business over politics."

Nope.....The new dominance that has emerged is the politicization of the masses, and the electoral strength that has accompanied it.

Misleadingly intellectualizing about historical references to money and business over politics, and ignoring the realities of Electoral democracy, is self-serving agenda's of the unelectables....'er anti-democrats.

so what would you suggest thailand does with a government that breaks the law - cheats - lies - steals - ignores the courts - ignores parts of the constitution it doesn't like, tell me how any country deals with this, I'm sorry but IMO the army has saved Thailand from utter destruction many many times, I think a coup is the wrong word to describe what the army has done in recent years - it's more like having an extra arm of the law to step in when it all comes apart - most people associate a coup with a military dictator type of insurrection but in Thailand power is always given back to the people and elections/referendums follow very quickly - what they don't seem to be able to do each time is get a constitution that is rigid enough to avoid the constant abuse - as I've said before we keep seeing the recycle of the same corrupt MP's every 5 years - they should be banned for life, flush the system clean of this scourge.

The problem with the coups, even if the army are relatively harmless/incompetent is that it just resets the cycle over and over again. Governments are continually looking over their shoulder and any attempt to bring people in the army to book for anything is a no no. Say PDRC got their way and a neutral PM was appointed to undertake reform, do you really believe that person would dare try and deal with corruption/accountability in the army? No way in hell!

You don't need to be a rocket scientist as well to see that corruption/patronage etc runs right through the army from top to bottom- i believe the only reason they are happy to give power back fairly quickly is because they would prefer to keep their noses clean and continue their 'works' unhindered. If someone attempted to curb their gravy train, they would meet a grisly and speedy exit!

So whilst i agree that the army could be a lot worse, i believe not only are part of the problem, but their apparent benevolence is anchored much more in the need to keep a stable ship and their position at the top of the tree, rather than genuine desire to see success for the country. If they really had the best interests in mind, they would have done what you say banning, behind close doors warnings/ultimatums a long time ago- the army, political, rule of law, judiciary, big business etc is so closely linked through personal linkages like marriage, family etc it would be near impossible for anyone to carry out the required changes without stepping on buddies/family toes!

So it looks like civil war then?

Fantastic article and in my opinion 100% accurate.

I knew this would fan the flames of the anti-suthep fire.

I am now convinced that these people actually want nothing good for Thailand. The type of people who criticize everything and anything Thai.

The last thing they want is progress. They are so blinded by hatred of certain people that they would be quite happy to watch this country retard into another Laos, so that they can sit and poke fun at it all day long with their feelings of self importance against all that surrounds them.

This OP has explained everything in a totally transparent and undeniable way.

Yet still they come to pour their derision..... I really do not know why Thailand entertains idiots like this.

Move to Africa if you want to feel culturally important in your surroundings, or seek help for treatment of your personal narcissistic disorders.

Suthep and the 'so called' elites you bang on about constantly actually have brought Thailand to this junction, nobody else has... Thailand has an opportunity it never had before for total eradication of all the things in this society that you lot have been bitching about for years, and this chance has not been handed to the people by Thaksin or Yingluck.

And before you say it... NO. The elites are not trying to grab power for themselves to abuse, they would not be trying to bring about political reforms, decentralization etc... making it impossible for them to have that ability to abuse their positions would they?

Onwards and upwards for Thailand.... Thaksin supporters, there is no place for you here.

An article, any article, so ridiculously biased is a waste of time for all but the true believers of whatever cause is being pedalled.

Yes, opinion pieces will always contain a dose of biasness, but there is a limit to this that, once crossed, all credibility is lost.

These types of articles are meant to explain a position, in their own terms, not filtered by the media to win over converts to the cause.

This particular article does neither (explain / convert).

It just over excites the already converted cult members and turns off the rest of the population.

Please, just confine this crap to Bluesky (or Redsky?) and leave the thinking publics eyes and ears unmolested.

Thank you

• Like 2

Would Kasit Piromya make a good Prime Minister for Thailand, I actually think he would, I don't know much about the man apart from the OP but I'd guess he is respected both Nationally and Internationally

Try investigating him assisting those shutting down the airport in 2008 ? You will find quotes of him saying it was "fun". You might learn he is one of the elite yellow PAD - and from that you can perhaps understand his opinion piece in the The Nation.

Respected ? Yes by Yellow shirts, PAD, PDRC, Suthep, Abhisit etc.......... perhaps.

Yes he was on a stage I believe once in 2008 and he did tell the media it was fun.

That is all you can say about him? Some small thing from 6 years ago?

Then he must be the perfect person to be the next (educated) Prime Minister. IMO of course.

I agree with the general gist of the article, but i think Khun Kosit should perhaps use the same critique and rationalization of his own party, and their role in current and earlier politics which has led us to the current system/impasse.

It would be pointless to rehash going over parts of the article which you could disagree with, namely that the Govt have lost the support of the populace. However i hope it is true that the population has got fed up with politics in its current guise and demand an overhaul- however i cannot help be skeptical given the timing of the issue, the lack of alternatives put forward (especially in any detail), the person who is leading the movement, and the fact that he or any of his cohorts have never done anything of note to curb corruption/amend the system when they have been in power.

The cynical in me still believes this is a old fashioned attempt at a power grab, and using the corruption/Thaksin angle is a convenient person/cause to gather people behind it. I hope i am wrong, but precedent of the personalities involved does not fill be me with confidence.

Tend to agree. The author does assess the past and present thai political position correctly but I actually struggle to see where the glowing forward scenario is as the author quotes "Thailand is not dithering at the crossroads but has decided determinedly to go the way of open, accountable and participatory politics".

What I see is a Thailand still a long way from any cross roads let alone determining what their future is and a long way away from surging forward to democracy. Jeez we still have a bunch of dictatorial lawless crooks in governance holding on for dear life, their thuggery UDD arm making threats against all and sundry, the Army maneuvering into a position to crush any UDD attacks, and the crazy man Suthep and his equally lawless mob causing mayhem. I do not see any glowing agenda there at all that Khun Kasit is referring to. And when both the Puppet PM and the equally undemocratic Suthep are both within one day quashing any options put forward by groups that one could see as being possibly in the best position to put forward an opportunity to progress then those cross roads are not even in sight.

• Like 1

I agree with the general gist of the article, but i think Khun Kosit should perhaps use the same critique and rationalization of his own party, and their role in current and earlier politics which has led us to the current system/impasse.

It would be pointless to rehash going over parts of the article which you could disagree with, namely that the Govt have lost the support of the populace. However i hope it is true that the population has got fed up with politics in its current guise and demand an overhaul- however i cannot help be skeptical given the timing of the issue, the lack of alternatives put forward (especially in any detail), the person who is leading the movement, and the fact that he or any of his cohorts have never done anything of note to curb corruption/amend the system when they have been in power.

The cynical in me still believes this is a old fashioned attempt at a power grab, and using the corruption/Thaksin angle is a convenient person/cause to gather people behind it. I hope i am wrong, but precedent of the personalities involved does not fill be me with confidence.

Tend to agree. The author does assess the past and present thai political position correctly but I actually struggle to see where the glowing forward scenario is as the author quotes "Thailand is not dithering at the crossroads but has decided determinedly to go the way of open, accountable and participatory politics".

What I see is a Thailand still a long way from any cross roads let alone determining what their future is and a long way away from surging forward to democracy. Jeez we still have a bunch of dictatorial lawless crooks in governance holding on for dear life, their thuggery UDD arm making threats against all and sundry, the Army maneuvering into a position to crush any UDD attacks, and the crazy man Suthep and his equally lawless mob causing mayhem. I do not see any glowing agenda there at all that Khun Kasit is referring to. And when both the Puppet PM and the equally undemocratic Suthep are both within one day quashing any options put forward by groups that one could see as being possibly in the best position to put forward an opportunity to progress then those cross roads are not even in sight.

Open, accountable, patricapatory politics?

Even in Crimea they just attempted a vote.

With a committee? If she says so I guess.

Edited by Thai at Heart

I have no patience to go through all this anti-democratic stuff, so just let me vent about two quotes that jumped out at me:

>"Thailand at crossroads: Leaving Thaksin behind in his Dubai sandcastle"

How about leaving the coup-makers of 2006 and mostly the same coup-mongers of 2013/14 behind.....Voicing support for coup-mongers and against those with electoral roots is just so much folderol.

And before PAD-Dem's launch into trying to normalize the abnormal judiciary with respect to Thaksin, suffice it to say that only they buy into the program of coupists trying to justify their power grab with a judicial veneer, by demonizing those they coup'ed.

"...a new challenge to Thailand's cultural integrity has emerged in the form of the dominance of money and business over politics."

Nope.....The new dominance that has emerged is the politicization of the masses, and the electoral strength that has accompanied it.

Misleadingly intellectualizing about historical references to money and business over politics, and ignoring the realities of Electoral democracy, is self-serving agenda's of the unelectables....'er anti-democrats.

Deluded. You still cling to the rose tinted idea that Thaksin the innocent and his political party, the one he owns and rules are supporters of democracy. The are no more supporters of democracy than they are supporters of the rule of law, justice and truth.

Say what you like, their actions show them for what they are - liars, cheats, and lawbreakers.

The protesters are not all anti-democratic. They are anti-Thaksin and his corrupt gang of reprobates.

Fryslan,

Your only argument is to cry for democracy and call any opposition to the elected government "antidemocratic", ignoring that democracy can be an umbrela to cover the most dark and nasty corruption, abuse of power, and disrespect of law.

Well put. The red shirt supporters love to say an election is the best hope for Thailand, while ignoring all the violations of the laws their party has committed. Because of an extremely corrupt and biased police force, the army is a necessity.

For once, it would be nice for them to admit their party has committed injustices. Much like the democratic has committed. Neither party is perfect. Why not throw them all out and start anew?

• Like 2

why they keep pounding on: never been colonized? remember the japs in WW 2

and thailand was nearly a buffer for english & french imperialists, that fought many wars, on land and sea

Good job Belgium never colonized them, judging on their performance in the Congo.

Thailand evolved its own unique culture, and its language, social, political, economic and educational development has not been shackled or restricted by the imposition of foreign views.

So, what you see is pure Thai. No one else to blame.

Yes he was on a stage I believe once in 2008 and he did tell the media it was fun.

Then he must be the perfect person to be the next (educated) Prime Minister. IMO of course.

Um. He told Thailand that he was petitioning Interpol to put out a red notice on Thaksin, no such thing happened. And he got himself in a right tiz about who actually owned a plane parked in Germany. Oh and he is a right wing reactinonary.

Other than that, I am sure he's a very passable dinner guest, but in terms of being a competent foreign minister, I'd say he is somewhere there or there abouts at the level of the current guy. I.e. Basically pretty incompetent.

Um. He told Thailand that he was petitioning Interpol to put out a red notice on Thaksin, no such thing happened. And he got himself in a right tiz about who actually owned a plane parked in Germany. Oh and he is a right wing reactinonary.

Other than that, I am sure he's a very passable dinner guest, but in terms of being a competent foreign minister, I'd say he is somewhere there or there abouts at the level of the current guy. I.e. Basically pretty incompetent.

That is all you can say about him? Some small thing from 4-6 years ago?

(at least he didn't issue a new passport to a criminal on the run, who happened to be his cousin)

smile.png

Edited by Nickymaster

BANGKOK: -- For centuries, Thailand has successfully warded off threats to its sovereignty and territorial integrity as well as to its monarchy. These threats came from afar in the form of Western colonial expansion and ideologies such as Communism, and from within in the form of militarism and security-obsessed nationalism.

Warded off militarism? I can think of at least 18 occasion were that mission has failed.

Over the past few decades a new challenge to Thailand's cultural integrity has emerged in the form of the dominance of money and business over politics. This new threat has grown into the corporatism of a one-party authoritarianism flying populist colours in a democratic setting and striving by any means to gain electoral majorities.

Over the past few decades a minority,anti-democratic movement has come to the fore. This tiny group has repeatedly thrust the nation into a sea of turmoil as they have been hellbent on destroying the democracy won by the great masses no matter what the cost to the nation. Only the group flying the populist red colours has legitimately held power since the 1997 constitution came into effect. They have campaigned and won elections - all others have cheated the system, striving by any means to gain unelected power.

But since the end of absolute monarchy in 1932, the goal and aspiration of the Thai people has always been to uphold the national ideals of nation, religion and monarchy within a representative democracy. Time and again the Thai people have shown this determination and have been willing to fight for their beliefs and their aspirations with rallies and marches, and even with their lives.

Since the end of the absolute monarchy the Thai people have wanted to exercise the sovereignty over themselves that was usurped by the military. After a long and bloody battle victory is insight. Time and time again Thais have fought against those few that have made a living by denying them their rights, freedom and dignity.

Thais have also become averse to military intervention and coups d'etat, in fact to all abuses of authority by self-interest and money-dominated politics.

Thais despise military intervention and coups and the loss of lives and bloodshed they bring. They have always hated the oppression but now have the power and freedom to ensure that the military are put back in their box and will remain there unless called upon to defend the nation from external threats.

Today, the Thai people have finally and firmly rejected the politics of the past, the politics of sweet temptations, of lies and spin, the politics of systemic corruption, the politics of a small clique of the powerful.

Today, the people have firmly rejected coups and unelected representation. If you want to administerThailand, you must win an election first.

The Thai people want to start their national politics anew. They want a politics in which power is shared, participation is more direct, their empowerment is prevalent, and resources and budget are more fairly distributed and balanced. The people now want to take national affairs more firmly into their own hands. They want more mastery over their destinies. They want to see their politicians and bureaucrats serve rather than abusing their power or turning to corruption.

A tiny minority of Thais want to reset the nation because they didn't get to have things their own way as they have become used to getting. The people won't allow democracy to be stolen from them again.

Thailand thus stands at a very important juncture in its modern history. We are at a crossroads, poised to turn away from the old politics towards a politics of transparency, accountability and good governance; a politics of extensive participation and empowerment; a politics under the rule of law with moral and ethical standards as a way of life.

Thailand has just passed a very important juncture in its history. It has slain the old oppressors of the past and looks forward to its democratic future. The old days of non elected people raping and pillaging the wealth of the country are well and truly behind it.

Thaksin with his cohorts and his Thaksinism - a political system of one-party dominance through autocratic authoritarian majority rule - are now things of the past. For them to cling to their presumptuous hierarchy is nothing more than holding on to a failed status quo. Their stubborn self-promotion is reactionary and contrary to the progressive minds and contemporary political aspirations of Thailand. It is anachronistic: out of tune, out of touch and out of place.

Thaksin and his allies are in tune, in touch and in place(?) with the great masses. Their support is unheralded. The days of authoritarian minority rule are over. Those clinging to the past have been swept aside by the rising tide of pro-democracy Thais lead by Mr Thaksin Shinawatra.

Thaksin and his proxy government have lost the trust of the Thai populace. They are now considered illegitimate pretenders to power. They have politely been asked to leave Thailand's political stage.

Thaksin and his proxy government have won the last 6 elections and it is almost impossible to not see them winning the next 6. They are the one political organisation that Thais have repeatedly chosen again and again to rule over them as the administration of the nation. Thaksin and his allies are the ones the people desperately want to sit centre stage of Thai politics. The unruly, unsupported impolite dissident movement in the park has been roundly ignored and rejected by the great masses.

In their last desperate attempts to continue in power, Thaksin and his proxy regime are cooking up more divisiveness within Thai society. They are falling back on the destructive tactic of promoting regional separation and even secession. This is a resort to treason. It is also belittling the intelligence of Thais and their love for one, unified country - Thailand. This is a shameless act and, indeed, even a stupid one. It also reflects the fact that Thaksin's personal dominance over politics and Thaksinism are over and done with in Thai history. Such desperation implies acknowledgement of defeat. It means the end of the status quo, of vested-interest politics.

Having sat back silently for so long, hoping that the protesting minority would come to their senses and quit their illegal attempt to overthrow the peoples government Thaksin has now begun to respond by rallying supporters to the cause to defeat the evil on the opposite side. Thaksin and his allies are to be commended for the restraint they have shown thus far, for without it the death toll would be so much greater than the unacceptable tally we already have. We give our heartfelt thanks.

Progressive forces are taking over. Thailand is not dithering at the crossroads but has decided determinedly to go the way of open, accountable and participatory politics.

Conservative forces are dying their long overdue death, much to the delight of Thais from all walks of life.Thailand is not dithering at the crossroads, but boldly stepping up and taking it's place amongst the modern democracies of the world. The backward steps taken by modifications to the 1997 constitution to reduce fairness and equality will be reversed.

After some 80 years of ups and downs, our democracy is about to come of age. Thailand can soon take pride in becoming a modern society at last. And Thaksin, with his passion for autocracy and authoritarian majority pretensions, can remain in his Dubai sandcastle.

After some 80 years of oppression, Thailand is about to become a democracy. Thailand can take pride in the victory it's people have won over the tiny, parasitic segment of the population that has for so long held this country back. Thaksin, with the love shown to him by millions and millions of Thais for his efforts to raise their living standards and for being the first Thai leader to treat all Thais as equals and give each Thai the respect they each deserve will return to a heroes welcome and be afforded all the honours due to him for his leading role in this magnificent victory of the great masses.

Kasit Piromya is a former foreign minister of Thailand.

Was that an elected or appointed government you served in?

Edited by HonestQuietBob
  • Like 1

Of course there is some bias in this piece.....he was after all, a Democrat member for years.

But even though, he is a very experienced politician, having held diplomatic posts in Europe and the USA...so could hardly call him a dill.

It's clear that Thai people want political calmness....and it won't happen with a mercinarily corrupt administration

No, I think "Dill" is being kind to him, to be truthful. Kasits diplomatic prowess includes the following:

On Burma:

"the Thai government will assist in their return to "half-democratic” Burma.

He told a US audience that upon his return to Bangkok, he will “launch a more comprehensive program for the Myanmar people in the camps, the displaced, the intellectuals who run around the streets of Bangkok and Chiang Mai province, to return to Myanmar after the elections.”

On America (at the FCCT):

"I'm impressed that so many Americans are here supporting democracy. After all, their own government can design a totally fake war and keep it going while their economy collapses as their regulators look the other way."

On Politics:

"We would like to see a Thai model based on the Finnish model of politics or even the Chinese or South Korean models. The Democrats are the closest we have in Thailand."

"New politics is coming to Thailand and everyone should be represented, including hill tribes, disabled people, poor people and others."

On the military:

The military believe themselves to be guardians of democracy and Thai values. We can't reconcile that with true democracy, though.

On Politics 2:

(Andrew Burke) You have discussed making politicians up from professional associations, etc. how would you choose them?

(Kasit) - We are undecided. It could depend on how much tax they pay, for example. (gasps from the audience)

And of course that old favourite,

On the PAD occupation of Suavarnabhumi Airport:

"the atmosphere at the protests was a lot of fun, the food was good and the music was excellent"

• Like 1

Of course there is some bias in this piece.....he was after all, a Democrat member for years.

But even though, he is a very experienced politician, having held diplomatic posts in Europe and the USA...so could hardly call him a dill.

It's clear that Thai people want political calmness....and it won't happen with a mercinarily corrupt administration

No, I think "Dill" is being kind to him, to be truthful. Kasits diplomatic prowess includes the following:

On Burma:

"the Thai government will assist in their return to "half-democratic” Burma.

He told a US audience that upon his return to Bangkok, he will “launch a more comprehensive program for the Myanmar people in the camps, the displaced, the intellectuals who run around the streets of Bangkok and Chiang Mai province, to return to Myanmar after the elections.”

On America (at the FCCT):

"I'm impressed that so many Americans are here supporting democracy. After all, their own government can design a totally fake war and keep it going while their economy collapses as their regulators look the other way."

On Politics:

"We would like to see a Thai model based on the Finnish model of politics or even the Chinese or South Korean models. The Democrats are the closest we have in Thailand."

"New politics is coming to Thailand and everyone should be represented, including hill tribes, disabled people, poor people and others."

On the military:

The military believe themselves to be guardians of democracy and Thai values. We can't reconcile that with true democracy, though.

On Politics 2:

(Andrew Burke) You have discussed making politicians up from professional associations, etc. how would you choose them?

(Kasit) - We are undecided. It could depend on how much tax they pay, for example. (gasps from the audience)

And of course that old favourite,

On the PAD occupation of Suavarnabhumi Airport:

"the atmosphere at the protests was a lot of fun, the food was good and the music was excellent"

Impressive post.

Kasits is clearly a peanut.

No wonder he's on the side that favours appointing over electing

Edited by HonestQuietBob

That is all you can say about him? Some small thing from 4-6 years ago?

(at least he didn't issue a new passport to a criminal on the run, who happened to be his cousin)

smile.png

Presumably the lack of things to say about him for the last few years, is that he hasn't been up to anything whatsoever. Which might prove to be a good thing, since when he was up to something, he largely screwed it up

• Like 1

Holy Moley!.......Now I've read everything! Sheeshhh........? Progressive forces? Did I miss something taking place in Thailand over the last 4 Months? Could it be that this has-been is implying that Kuhn Suthep and his cohorts are the Progressive Force that will bring the Kingdom to the Crossroads or perhaps the Abyss? If so, why stop there Kuhn Kasit Piromya? Just say he is the NEW Moral Compass of Thailand! A genuine beacon of light in the darkness of Thai Politics. These so called progressive forces must man up and earn that title with a WIN at the ballot box! Let all eligible voters have an unobstructed opportunity to cast their vote in order to decide any future Path for the Kingdom to take.

It is always handy to read something twice, then try to understand what is written, then think about what you have read and presumably understood,

And then react.