Constitutional Court to rule Friday on validity of Feb 2 election

webfact

Who cares what the Reds want.

Surely the best thing for the country is to call fresh elections with no boycotts to be held ASAP.

Whoever wins forms government and gets left alone to implement the policies they campaigned with for their entire term.

Whoever the opposition is, it's their job is to hold the government accountable using methods that obey the rule of law.

As for red support, its been very strong for 10 years now and one would assume that will continue.

If not, so what.

It means the Democrats have earned the respect of the people and deserve to be in government.

If they win, leave them alone and let them do the job they've been hired to do.

"As for red support, its been very strong for 10 years now and one would assume that will continue."

I thought the red shirts formed after the coup ... less than 8 years ago.

"Whoever wins forms government and gets left alone to implement the policies they campaigned with for their entire term."

Hasn't that been the problem? The PTP government were implementing their policies, and costing the country billions of baht, and issuing unconstitutional laws while voting illegally, and trying to issue laws that millions of Thais from both sides were against.

Maybe if they'd obeyed the rule of law, they wouldn't be in the crap that they are at the moment.

I'm not a pedant.

To me there is only 2 sides.

One is the Reds (pro Thaksin) and the other is the Yellows (anti-Thaksin).

The rest is just hair splitting BS.

An awful lot of the accusations against the PTP government are either false or exaggerated and originate from less than reputable sources.

The rest of their perceived ills, are just par for the course in Thailand, ills that the Democrats probably outdo the PTP by miles and miles.

The masses of this country have been ripped off for so long by so much populist policies that redistribute wealth are to be expected.

The pendulum has to swing back in the opposite direction quite a lot to try and get some balance in the current state of affairs

The old establishment are just going to have to accept that their slice of the pie is going to be much, much smaller.

Just because a policy doesn't benefit you personally doesn't mean it's bad or corrupt.

How do you explain the PTP MP's voting for a bill using another MP's voting card - caught on video - this is clearly against the law in this country... or the voting on bills at 3:30am when the opposition has already been told "no vote until tomorrow"... or the silent ammendments made to bills when they pass from Parliment to the Senate?

Guess all of these are part of your "false or exaggerated and originate from less than reputable sources"

The Sooner you admit your side have been caught performing less than legal activities, the sooner your eyes will open up to whats really going on.

• Like 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Honest Quite Bob ....

You have made some correct statements ... but basically you just don't understand what all this has been about ... you just haven't grasp the plot have you. <deleted>*k knows where you are from but give it a rest.

Edited by JAS21

Who cares what the Reds want.

Surely the best thing for the country is to call fresh elections with no boycotts to be held ASAP.

Whoever wins forms government and gets left alone to implement the policies they campaigned with for their entire term.

Whoever the opposition is, it's their job is to hold the government accountable using methods that obey the rule of law.

As for red support, its been very strong for 10 years now and one would assume that will continue.

If not, so what.

It means the Democrats have earned the respect of the people and deserve to be in government.

If they win, leave them alone and let them do the job they've been hired to do.

"As for red support, its been very strong for 10 years now and one would assume that will continue."

"Whoever wins forms government and gets left alone to implement the policies they campaigned with for their entire term."

Hasn't that been the problem? The PTP government were implementing their policies, and costing the country billions of baht, and issuing unconstitutional laws while voting illegally, and trying to issue laws that millions of Thais from both sides were against.

Maybe if they'd obeyed the rule of law, they wouldn't be in the crap that they are at the moment.

I'm not a pedant.

An awful lot of the accusations against the PTP government are either false or exaggerated and originate from less than reputable sources.

The rest of their perceived ills, are just par for the course in Thailand, ills that the Democrats probably outdo the PTP by miles and miles.

The masses of this country have been ripped off for so long by so much populist policies that redistribute wealth are to be expected.

The pendulum has to swing back in the opposite direction quite a lot to try and get some balance in the current state of affairs

The old establishment are just going to have to accept that their slice of the pie is going to be much, much smaller.

Just because a policy doesn't benefit you personally doesn't mean it's bad or corrupt.

How do you explain the PTP MP's voting for a bill using another MP's voting card - caught on video - this is clearly against the law in this country... or the voting on bills at 3:30am when the opposition has already been told "no vote until tomorrow"... or the silent ammendments made to bills when they pass from Parliment to the Senate?

Guess all of these are part of your "false or exaggerated and originate from less than reputable sources"

The Sooner you admit your side have been caught performing less than legal activities, the sooner your eyes will open up to whats really going on.

The party didn't use the wrong cards, a couple of individuals did.

Throw the book at the 2 stoners who committed the wrong , then move on.

That's what normal people in normal countries do.

The yellows need to stop searching for something,anything to justify a coup and focus on trying to win an election.

• Like 2

I'm not a pedant.

The yellows need to stop searching for something,anything to justify a coup and focus on trying to win an election.

The party didn't throw anything their way, rather tried to treat it as a non-issue, or even justify it.

And, of course, you ignored a couple of other issues - harder to defend or do away with, probably.

Yingluck.... Take a look at this picture.

These are your exterminators.

Time is up for these old dinosaurs.

The interconnected, multimedia, smart phone owning, internet savvy younger generations cannot be kept in the dark and fed the same BS their grandparents were raised on.

Access to information abounds, no more secrets for anyone - not even the CIA can keep its dirty laundry hidden anymore.

This diaper wearing geriatric generation of appointed civil servants should do the country a favour and shuffle off to spend their remaining years on earth enjoying the vast quantities of "brown paper bag" money they've accumulated over their decades of malfeasant service.

Yingluck has nothing to worry about from these old plodders.

Well, we will find out in less than 48 hours - I think that you are going to be more than a little disappointed!!

I, on the other hand will be cracking open a bottle or two of Leo to celebrate!!!

• Like 1

The interconnected, multimedia, smart phone owning, internet savvy younger generations cannot be kept in the dark and fed the same BS their grandparents were raised on.

Access to information abounds, no more secrets for anyone - not even the CIA can keep its dirty laundry hidden anymore.

This diaper wearing geriatric generation of appointed civil servants should do the country a favour and shuffle off to spend their remaining years on earth enjoying the vast quantities of "brown paper bag" money they've accumulated over their decades of malfeasant service.

Well, we will find out in less than 48 hours - I think that you are going to be more than a little disappointed!!

I, on the other hand will be cracking open a bottle or two of Leo to celebrate!!!

If the election is ruled as valid, I will accept it. I will not support the DEMS or the PDRC coming into the streets with a street gang that makes the LA chapter of the red shirts look like a pre school gathering. I will accept the result as I am sure the DEM's will. Why? They understand that the "rule of law" is paramount to democratic rule.

If the DEM's or PDRC state they will loot, burn or attack anyone that feels the "rule of law" is wrong and attack the courts, I will change sides as quick as a nappy on a baby that sh*t their pants. I don't support parties that feel a 200 000 militia is an answer to restoring democracy or that looting or burning is the approach that should be taken. Reason being is I will then be a supporter of all the ethos's that I have denounced previously.

Democracy must prevail. Part of that democratic process is "rule of law"

That democratic process that is so obviously neglected by the PTP is why another principle of democracy (elections) cannot proceed, lest the "rule of law" continue to be abused.

Simply really. The majority have spoken in the 2014 election. (NOT the 2011 election) and it is time the minority accept it.

Hard to accept I know. I Support the " all principles of democracy" party and they have not won elections 8 times in a row so I feel for the minority now.

Time to accept that thaksins electoral futility and anti-all principles of democracy impulses by misleading contextualization is simply a false sense of reality that the unelectable is will willing to peruse to drive his minority mandate through.

Edited by djjamie
  • Like 1

The party didn't throw anything their way, rather tried to treat it as a non-issue, or even justify it.

And, of course, you ignored a couple of other issues - harder to defend or do away with, probably.

The other two items you raised are just the normal fun and games politicians play with each other for giggles.

• Like 2

If the election is ruled as valid, I will accept it. I will not support the DEMS or the PDRC coming into the streets with a street gang that makes the LA chapter of the red shirts look like a pre school gathering. I will accept the result as I am sure the DEM's will. Why? They understand that the "rule of law" is paramount to democratic rule.

If the DEM's or PDRC state they will loot, burn or attack anyone that feels the "rule of law" is wrong and attack the courts, I will change sides as quick as a nappy on a baby that sh*t their pants. I don't support parties that feel a 200 000 militia is an answer to restoring democracy or that looting or burning is the approach that should be taken. Reason being is I will then be a supporter of all the ethos's that I have denounced previously.

That democratic process that is so obviously neglected by the PTP is why another principle of democracy (elections) cannot proceed, lest the "rule of law" continue to be abused.

Simply really. The majority have spoken in the 2014 election. (NOT the 2011 election) and it is time the minority accept it.

Hard to accept I know. I Support the " all principles of democracy" party and they have not won elections 8 times in a row so I feel for the minority now.

Time to accept that thaksins electoral futility and anti-all principles of democracy impulses by misleading contextualization is simply a false sense of reality that the unelectable is will willing to peruse to drive his minority mandate through.

The dynamic duo are back on the scene.

Good evening DJ and Steve.

Rightly or wrongly the election is going to be ruled invalid, everyone knows it so your little diatribe is meaningless.

The only thing of interest here is under what circumstances a new election will be held.

• Like 1

Rightly or wrongly the election is going to be ruled invalid, everyone knows it so your little diatribe is meaningless.

The only thing of interest here is under what circumstances a new election will be held.

Ok. So the paramount ideology of acceptance of the "rule of law" is simply ignored by you because it does not suit your agenda and you therefore push the debate into another realm of which is "what the circumstances are for a new election"

This radiates your agreeable path of logic in supporting an accused terrorist and I appreciate your acceptance through your words that the election is invalidated.

Well done.

The other two items you raised are just the normal fun and games politicians play with each other for giggles.

I didn't raise them, someone else did.

Now, in which democracy does any of these count as "normal fin and games politicians play with each other for giggles"?:

voting on bills at 3:30am when the opposition has already been told "no vote until tomorrow"... or the silent amendments made to bills when they pass from Parliament to the Senate?

And of course, still haven't got a good answer as to why there were no steps taken against the MPs involved in the voting scandal.

• Like 1

Does anyone get a kind of De Ja Vu feeling here...

Thaksin, caretaker PM, time elapsed but he tried to stay on and cling to power...

Yingluck, caretaker PM, time elapsed but she is trying to stay on and cling to power...

PTP are pushing real hard for another coup, the Military are resisting this... once the courts throw YL's Government out then the Military can move in and clean house... this wont be a coup as the embattled caretaker PM will be offically thrown out of office by the courts and the military will be just policing this decision... End game at foot gentlemen, make sure your on the winning side.

PTP are pushing real hard for a coup?

The military are resisting?

Seems to me you've got the roles reversed here.

Regardless,

Lets assume PTP get tossed out and an unelected group step in.

What do you think happens next?

Everyone kisses and makes up and on we go?

You honestly believe hordes upon hordes of mad as hell Reds won't descend upon the city?

Once they get here do you honestly think the army just has to shoot and kill about 90 of them and it will all end as per 2010.

No way!

The only reason the army has sat on their asses in their floral bedecked bunkers is because they know they can't win an open confrontation against the Reds in the streets.

If push comes to shove and it all turns to crap, after the bloodbath, when the people have won it will be the Reds ramming through their constitution dealing the death blow to the yellow scourge that has plagued this nation for so many decades.

The cowards behind Suthep are happy to risk the lives of the fools that follow them, but they sure as hell don't want to risk their own existence by creating a situation that results in the Reds having absolute control over everything.

After the brinkmanship, this will be negotiated, and this time the Reds will give less concessions to the losers.

Slowly, slowly it is all ending for the anti - democracy yellows.

Good Night aparthied, Good Morning freedom

Do you really think like this???.....

It sounds as though you really want some serious action here......have a good sleep and don't forget to take your medication !

Quite the opposite, I would prefer another election be called and held immediately.

You seemed to have misunderstood the post (probably deliberately)

Obviously everyone doesn't kiss and make up.

So if Suthep gets his way, what happens next?

This ain't fairy land, as sure as night follows day, bad stuff will ensue.

Better to abort the coup and accept elections

• Like 2

Ok. So the paramount ideology of acceptance of the "rule of law" is simply ignored by you because it does not suit your agenda and you therefore push the debate into another realm of which is "what the circumstances are for a new election"

This radiates your agreeable path of logic in supporting an accused terrorist and I appreciate your acceptance through your words that the election is invalidated.

Well done.

I'm always happy to radiate my agreeable path.

• Like 1

I didn't raise them, someone else did.

Now, in which democracy does any of these count as "normal fin and games politicians play with each other for giggles"?:

voting on bills at 3:30am when the opposition has already been told "no vote until tomorrow"... or the silent amendments made to bills when they pass from Parliament to the Senate?

And of course, still haven't got a good answer as to why there were no steps taken against the MPs involved in the voting scandal.

Sorry mate, I'm tired gotta go to bed.

You win.

• Like 1

Well done.

I'm always happy to radiate my agreeable path.

Can't argue that point in other words….

Nice one.

So the court says Feb 2nd elections not valid what next, just more elections when the caretaker government get round to it.

I am sure this time they will just drag their feet, as they have control anyway, well until Yingluck is impeached and the PTP is annulled, which will probably happen within a few weeks.

I've been trying for weeks to find out:

1) who is 'the accused terrorist'?

2) how many points to democracy there are? I had always, naiively, thought that democracy was based on 'one man one vote', but - no - apparently there's more. It seems that there are about 15 or 16 or 21 points to democracy. Anyway, I'd just like a list, because I haven't found this list in all the books I have here on political systems.

Thanks.

• Like 2

POLITICS
Court to decide fate of Feb 2 poll tomorrow

CHANIKARN PHUMHIRAN
THE NATION

Mar20Constitutionalcourt.jpg

Phongthep warns holding another poll could result in more casualties

BANGKOK: -- THE CONSTITUTIONAL COURT will, tomorrow, make a much-awaited ruling on the validity of the February 2 election, a judgement that could end the ongoing political stalemate or further fuel conflict.

The court set the schedule after hearing accounts of all parties concerned in the dispute. The petition asking the court to rule on the validity of the poll was forwarded by the Ombudsman on behalf of Thammasat University law lecturer Kittipong Kamolthamwong, who claimed the election process was flawed, unfair and unconstitutional.

Ombudsman Pornpetch Vichit-cholachai, as plaintiff, told the court that the fairness of the election had been undermined. He cited the failure to conclude the poll on a single day as stipulated by the Constitution because the election could not be held in 28 constituencies in the southern provinces, where there were no candidates, and candidacy registration was problematic.

Also, ballot counting in other constituencies, which were made public, would impact on the judgement of voters in the 28 constituencies rendering the election unfair, according to Pornpetch.

Moreover, the issuing of several orders by the caretaker government, including the emergency decree, was unfair to other political parties contesting the election, he argued.

Pornpetch said the general election had a severe social, political and economic impact. Although the government had returned power to the people, there were political rallies against the government, which made the caretaker government unable to completely perform its duties and risked becoming unlawful.

"This election exacted a high price as there were fatalities and many were injured. Some people even said if this electoral problem is prolonged and the caretaker government still performs its duty until the end of June, it could affect the country's GDP growth rate," he said.

"Why don't we hold a legitimate election to pave the way for 'good' people to govern the country?" he said, adding there was no guarantee the EC would complete the poll in all constituencies.

Pornpetch insisted on the legal power of the Office of the Ombudsman to file the petition with the Constitutional Court.

Caretaker Deputy Prime Minister Phongthep Thepkanjana, who represented the prime minister, said The Office of the Ombudsman is not empowered to petition the Constitutional Court and the court has no power to accept the case.

"Actually, only 10 per cent of voting in the total of 375 constituencies were disrupted and the law empowers the EC to conduct a new round of voting. If you regard the new ballot casting as another election day, Thailand will not be able to hold any election at all," Phongthep argued.

Phongthep rejected the Ombud-sman's contention that the emergency decree had created disadvantage for some candidates. He said there had been no complaints from any candidate about the election being unfair.

"To finish the rest of the election will be better than holding a new one. Holding a new election would only result in more deaths and injuries. Moreover, a new election will delay the formation of a new government to June or to October," he said.

During election candidacy registration and advance voting, there were clashes between anti- and pro-election protesters and policemen, causing scores of casualties.

Phongthep admitted that the election would not resolve the ongoing political conflict, but he argued that it was a democratic process.

When court President Charoon Intachan and judge Twekiat Menakanist asked the deputy PM whether the government would need to take responsibility for being unable to handle the election disruption, Phongthep replied that those who had disrupted the election should take responsibility.

EC chairman Supachai Som-charoen told the court that the commission relied on the principle of law and did nothing wrong in conducting the February 2 election. The election is not unconstitutional and the Ombudsman has no authority to submit a petition to the court to nullify the election, he said.

Judge Thaweekiat asked why the EC did not extend the registration day as many candidates in 28 constituencies could not register. Supachai said the law does not allow the EC to do so. Also, the protesters were determined to block registration, he said.

Judge Nurak Marpraneet asked why didn't the EC delay the poll as

previously recommended by the court. Supachai said the court had suggested that the EC consult the government, which wanted the poll to go ahead. There is no law to allow a delay unless the Cabinet issued another decree, he said. "Somebody said the court did not make its suggestion clear as it wanted to drag the premier to the jail," he said.

Judge Suphot Khaimuk asked if the EC was afraid of being prosecuted and could not work without being influenced by the government. Supachai replied that the commission worked independently but had no authority to delay the election. "We are not afraid of being sued, as we already have many lawsuits and I myself sincerely volunteered to take up this job," he told the judge.

Reacting to Phongthep's complaint that the caretaker government was given too little time to prepare its explanations, Judge Jaran Pukditanakul said the court had to speed up the hearing because there will be consequences for other elections and an early verdict would be good for the country.

The court will also allow Phongthep to submit an additional statement today. Phongthep said the government is ready to follow the court's ruling no matter what the ruling. The judges said they would read their verdict at 11am tomorrow.

The court is also set to rule at 9am tomorrow on another petition related to the February 2 election filed earlier by the EC. The EC has queried whether a new Royal Decree would be needed to hold elections in the 28 constituencies that did not have candidates, or whether a Royal Decree was needed for all constituencies. If the court rules a Royal Decree is needed for all constituencies, a new general election will have to be held.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-20

Any mention of any arrests or punishment for anyone who prevented the election from occuring? Or are we just judging on the fact that voting didn't happen? The "how" it didn't happen is obviously irrelevant I suppose.

Yes, and judging from the questions the CC members put to the government, one could think the PDRC were nothing more than a figment, a common nightmare that is over and never really happened. What a sorry bunch sitting over there scribbling their rulings for tomorrow. This judiciary needs a comprehensive remaking, from how judges are chosen, a greater transparency of the judges and their processes, to their terms of office and to include much more. This is the classic illustration of the catastrophic Thai mentality that two wrongs make a right and that five wrongs make it even more right.

The CC can be expected to nullify the election that couldn't be held because the courts enjoined the government from enforcing the SOE against Suthep and his mob of insurrectionists that were assaulting innocent voters at the polling stations. These people continually meander from the assinine [sic] to the absurd.

Edited by Publicus
  • Like 1

Any mention of any arrests or punishment for anyone who prevented the election from occuring? Or are we just judging on the fact that voting didn't happen? The "how" it didn't happen is obviously irrelevant I suppose.

Yes, and judging from the questions the CC members put to the government, one could think the PDRC were nothing more than a figment, a common nightmare that is over and never really happened. What a sorry bunch sitting over there scribbling their rulings for tomorrow. This judiciary needs a comprehensive remaking, from how judges are chosen, a greater transparency of the judges and their processes, to their terms of office and to include much more. This is the classic illustration of the catastrophic Thai mentality that two wrongs make a right and that five wrongs make it even more right.

The CC can be expected to nullify the election that couldn't be held because the courts enjoined the government from enforcing the SOE against Suthep and his mob of insurrectionists that were assaulting innocent voters at the polling stations. These people continually meander from the assinine [sic] to the absurd.

The courts didn't make their ruling on the enforcement of the SOE until after the election was held. So it wasn't the courts that stopped the government from protecting polling stations from the protesters.

• Like 2

Thaksin, caretaker PM, time elapsed but he tried to stay on and cling to power...

Yingluck, caretaker PM, time elapsed but she is trying to stay on and cling to power...

PTP are pushing real hard for another coup, the Military are resisting this... once the courts throw YL's Government out then the Military can move in and clean house... this wont be a coup as the embattled caretaker PM will be offically thrown out of office by the courts and the military will be just policing this decision... End game at foot gentlemen, make sure your on the winning side.

Regardless,

You honestly believe hordes upon hordes of mad as hell Reds won't descend upon the city?

Once they get here do you honestly think the army just has to shoot and kill about 90 of them and it will all end as per 2010.

No way!

The only reason the army has sat on their asses in their floral bedecked bunkers is because they know they can't win an open confrontation against the Reds in the streets.

If push comes to shove and it all turns to crap, after the bloodbath, when the people have won it will be the Reds ramming through their constitution dealing the death blow to the yellow scourge that has plagued this nation for so many decades.

The cowards behind Suthep are happy to risk the lives of the fools that follow them, but they sure as hell don't want to risk their own existence by creating a situation that results in the Reds having absolute control over everything.

After the brinkmanship, this will be negotiated, and this time the Reds will give less concessions to the losers.

An uneducated untrained mob can win against a well established trained army

and the mob will win

do you think any one takes you serious these days

Click here for our answer

post-13618-0-31075600-1395282622_thumb.g

So, reading between the lines, are you proposing an age limit for judges. Forced retirement at 60? 50? 40? 30?

By the way, the internet can be used to feed BS just fine.

Regardless,

No way!

An uneducated untrained mob can win against a well established trained army

and the mob will win

do you think any one takes you serious these days

Click here for our answer

We're talking about the Thai army here.

They're not really the pick of the bunch.

If me and you teamed up and got our hands on a couple of water pistols - we'd probably win.

So, reading between the lines, are you proposing an age limit for judges. Forced retirement at 60? 50? 40? 30?

By the way, the internet can be used to feed BS just fine.

No age limits proposed - just generational change.

Their way of thinking and the classism it revolves around are but the last remnants of a bygone era.

Put them out to pasture and get on with the modernising and democratising of this country so that the shameful wealth gap they birthed and nurtured can be done away with once and for all.

As for the internet,

It's almost impossible to indoctrinate a people nowadays because they have direct access to whatever information they want be it BS or beastiality.

I've been trying for weeks to find out:

1) who is 'the accused terrorist'?

2) how many points to democracy there are? I had always, naiively, thought that democracy was based on 'one man one vote', but - no - apparently there's more. It seems that there are about 15 or 16 or 21 points to democracy. Anyway, I'd just like a list, because I haven't found this list in all the books I have here on political systems.

Thanks.

The accused terrorist is likely to be Thaksin as he most ably fits the description. All of the problems (yes, all of the problems) stem in one way or another from his illegal involvement in this never ending saga.

As for democracy, it starts off with free and fair elections (one man one vote if you like). Now, the PTP were democratically elected as far as in they got enough seats in the election to enable them to govern. The means of how they achieved this however was unfair as their votes were bought with ill-thought out and unaffordable populist policies that did not reflect the seriousness of the future repercussions of implementing such irresponsible and flawed schemes such as the infamous rice scam, tablets for all folly, first time car buyer debacle etc:.

Also, once you are in power you must abide by the rules of parliamentary process, well I think that we all agree they seriously flunked that one by doing, not what they were supposed to do, but what they wanted to do to seal power into perpetuity by rigging the whole process and in attempting to flout the law, making it infinitely easier to commit rampant corruption.

It is at this point that democracy is undermined AND lost which is where we are currently.

In summary, the democracy they claimed to have gained (under dubious circumstances) was then lost through their illegal actions and disrespect of government practices.

Once this has been regained (in a long term process of reforms) then Thailand can return to 'democracy with legitimacy' and one man one vote becomes meaningful. Democracy should flourish under this banner and Thailand can start to rebuild it's reputation again to put it in its rightful position as one of the powerhouses of South-East Asia, if not Asia itself.