Nitrogen in scooter tyres?

roly

Somebody told me you can get Nitrogen to put in car/scooter/bike tyres. I'm wondering what the benefits are for tubed scooter tyres (if any) - apparently for racing it's a good idea due to less fluctuation in temperature, but for a scooter I imagine there's no benefit, unless larger molecule sizes (?) escape less quicky?

In short, I'm just wondering whether it's worth using Nitrogen or not, I assume not...?

Ta,

Roly

I can't remember whether it was 20baht for one tyre or 4, but cheap enough. Many people I have spoken to say their tyre pressures drop in Thailand, especially if the bike is left standing for a while, never heard of that in any other country, so I don't know, but I would doubt it would be leaking at a molecular level.

I remember the guy selling it did mention that it was lighter in weight, which was another advantage...complete nonsense of course.

Edited by AllanB

We have it in our CRV and it works just fine. Wife tells me it is cheap, we have it done at the Michelin Depot on the way to City Hall.

On the right hand side of the road going out of town. You'll see the big Michelin sign. They also have a very comfortable "Customer Lounge" and even CLEAN Toilets.

Edited by Torrens54

As a user of Honda click for many years here in Bkk, the tube usually costs average of 120 - 160 THB, depends on quality or brand name,

However, a such solution would be great ..! especially the raining season is coming soon to avoid the mess ..

Plz share if any useful information regarding this,

Thanks

I can't remember whether it was 20baht for one tyre or 4, but cheap enough. Many people I have spoken to say their tyre pressures drop in Thailand, especially if the bike is left standing for a while, never heard of that in any other country, so I don't know, but I would doubt it would be leaking at a molecular level.

I remember the guy selling it did mention that it was lighter in weight, which was another advantage...complete nonsense of course.

Maybe he was getting confused with Helium???

Too much hassle over the advantages and yes the leakage is at the molecular level. Nitrogen molecules a quite larger than Oxygen so it's harder for them to escape. It's the reason why it's so hard to store the Hydrogen, it will leak if stored in cylinders with regular valves used for other gases.

At the end of the day, no matter what you fill your tyres TIRES with, they will still leak and loose the pressure, maybe just a tad slower. I opted for a small portable air compressor so it's always handy when I need to pump up my tires, no need to worry about nitrogen and wasting time and money driving to a show that carries it.

My wife had Nitrogen in her cartires, she got free refill for lifetime from that tirecompany with the yellow sign (forgot the name).

She still had to go there sometimes to let them pump the tires (for free) so it is not working perfect.

Nitrogen is used in tires that are subject to massive heat generation and stress. ie Aircraft, F1 racing cars and "Superbikes" which are raced.

Doubt there would be much value or reason for putting nitrogen in the tires of a scooter !

Back in the UK/Aus/DK I used to check my car tyre (TYRE) pressures every year or so and they never changed, except if I got a flat. I usually had Michelins fitted to my cars, as they lasted longer IMO.

6 months ago I had a new Dunlop tyres fitted to my NV400 and this morning, okay they have dropped about 3psi, but not an issue? When I am riding the bike, I check the tyres every week or so as I run them a little low for comfort reasons.

On the other hand the Wave has had a number of deflation problems over the years.

My conclusion is buy decent tyres and forget nitrogen.

Unfortunately the longer life issue does't work hear as they get sun perished long before they wear out. The tyres I took off were barely half worn, but I fear a blow-out much more on a bike than on a car/truck, so I buy the better ones.

In all my vehicles I have found a blend of 21% oxygen and 79% nitrogen works very well. wink.png

Sent from here.

Sounds like a similar set up for dental gas. In case of emergency huff a bit of the tire pressure to relieve pain or to get narc'd up.

Just kidding the taste would not be that great!

mag wheels + tubeless tyres that are properly seated should lose little or to no air

they are always wrth the extra couple of thousand baht if youor buying a new scooter

to get one with tyres you dont have to worry about

its always the guys on spokes that complain about constant punctures or soft tyres due to air leakage ...........

I stick with 79% nitrogen, and lose about 1psi per tire per week- I've got a compressor so it's easy to top up, but if I had to run to the station for air I'd look into 100% nitrogen just to save the hassle.

Ditto, but I am sourcing a D size N2 bottle & regs for my track days. Used nitrogen all the time for my dragbike back in Australia. Especially with minute (as in very small) changes in slick pressures.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

Edited by Garry

Nitrogen is used in tires that are subject to massive heat generation and stress. ie Aircraft, F1 racing cars and "Superbikes" which are raced.

Doubt there would be much value or reason for putting nitrogen in the tires of a scooter !

Probably used there as nitrogen alone will not burn,

It would soon get oxygen from the air but maybe good enough to suppress intial fire, or at least delay it.

With climate change going on how long before the 78%/21% ratio changes?..and what if you live near a forest?facepalm.gif

The ratio won't change until the carbon dioxide level gets to criticaL LEVELS....like in most of the big cities in China NOW! I would imagine it's 76/19/4 now.

post-63954-0-40901900-1395492354_thumb.j

Edited by BSJ

I thought carbon monoxide is the dangerous gas, compared to CO2 which is always in the air around us naturally. Carbon monoxide from vehicle exhausts and fires is the bad incidence.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk