Vegetable bargains at the market

worgeordie

Muang Mai is great for bulk purchases ... love it now we've found the best vendors. Takes a few visits to suss out.

Don't forget local baan/village markets [perhaps Sunday or Friday] also have cheap local produce.

Love the place esp if going to make a big batch of tomato sauce or ratatouille. I'm use to the rats climbing over the vegetables that I'm looking at by now and as a added bonus it makes me be sure I wash them extra well.

Thanks for the tip Worgeordie,

Aside from the prices, Rimping (Airport) is getting very slack with their stock. More often than not, they seem to be out of stock on many of the items that we buy on a regular basis. Years ago, if you asked them to get something in, they'd move Heaven and Earth to do so and then phone you to let you know. Not any more!!! which is sad because it used to be so good.

Even though I've been here a long while and used that market plenty of times over the years I was amazed when I went there one time at about 3.30am , the place was mobbed. You wouldn't believe how busy this place is at that time of the day. Cars are triple parked and the sights n sounds are unbelievable with hundreds of pickups stacked with mountains of fruit and vegetables from ...... the mountains. The porters with their huge baskets are run ragged, women are trimming vegetables that you've never seen before and there was even a woman blow-torching a pigs head to cook it! Hard to capture the atmosphere but if you're ever up at that time of night it is a must see.

I must go back one time with camera.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

I paid a visit to Muang Mai market last night at about 2.30am which is just before it gets real busy. Just a few pictures....attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

It's good to have pictures Joe, there are many who are convinced that Rimping et al's prices are the only ones for foreigners (about 300% more on some goods). The place sells tons of stuff daily and you will find restaurant staff (all nationalities) buying for the days menu.......it's a great place. Also sponsor the small local markets that open two or three days a week, they practically give away stuff in season.

The block on the right hand side looking from the river next to the USA embassy ,its a warren

of alleys,and godowns,very busy 24 hours a day,as well as fruit and veg there is a large selection

of other food stuffs,meats,fish,frogs,spices,etc,etc.

regards Worgeordie

Where is Muang Mai market?

Yes, where is it?

It is due north of the Warrorot Market, near the US Consulate. It is on the riverbank north of the white Chedi and US Consul. Besides being on the riverside it also stretches into the side streets and parallel streets . It goes from the riverside road (Wang Sing Kham) and stretches through to the parallel rd (muang Samut rd). It's open 24 hrs, but thousands of farmers come down at night so the place is heaving at about 4am.

More photos. Notice the men are sleeping while the women work! Guys after my own heart.

post-181944-0-63064800-1395330131_thumb.

post-181944-0-40525900-1395330168_thumb.

post-181944-0-78668500-1395330201_thumb.

post-181944-0-94260500-1395330246_thumb.

post-181944-0-11568000-1395330316_thumb.

We never buy any meat products there either.

The only problem with buying vegetables in 10 kg. quantities is that they tend to go bad in 48 hours even when refrigerated. We bought many thing there 3 weeks ago and we ended up tossing a good portion of the vegetables in 2 days before we could even cook them - even though they were refrigerated. It was disappointing.

We never buy any meat products there either.

The only problem with buying vegetables in 10 kg. quantities is that they tend to go bad in 48 hours even when refrigerated. We bought many thing there 3 weeks ago and we ended up tossing a good portion of the vegetables in 2 days before we could even cook them - even though they were refrigerated. It was disappointing.

I agree that buying vegetables in large quantities go bad quickly. It's worthwhile if you have a freezer or make stews, soups or other things than can be frozen. Fruit freezes OK and can be used for making drinks whenever you fancy. I find it quite nice to have a supply of these things at hand,

great place. we go about once a week, but NEVER buy any meat or shellfish there. wife's family never does either...but veg, fruit, tofu, etc....yes.

yeah.. the meat there makes me want to go vegetarian, and I know how bad of an idea that is.

This where most of the restaurants are buying their meat and fish too!

great place. we go about once a week, but NEVER buy any meat or shellfish there. wife's family never does either...but veg, fruit, tofu, etc....yes.

yeah.. the meat there makes me want to go vegetarian, and I know how bad of an idea that is.

This where most of the restaurants are buying their meat and fish too!

This is true, not just Thai but foreign restaurants too.

• Like 1

Even though I've been here a long while and used that market plenty of times over the years I was amazed when I went there one time at about 3.30am , the place was mobbed. You wouldn't believe how busy this place is at that time of the day. Cars are triple parked and the sights n sounds are unbelievable with hundreds of pickups stacked with mountains of fruit and vegetables from ...... the mountains. The porters with their huge baskets are run ragged, women are trimming vegetables that you've never seen before and there was even a woman blow-torching a pigs head to cook it! Hard to capture the atmosphere but if you're ever up at that time of night it is a must see.

I must go back one time with camera.

Deliveries are made at night, and a lot of restaurants buy their produce there after they close in the late evening. It also has its best, freshest selection late at night and early morning, which attracts a lot of individuals. Traffic is terrible, but prices are good.

It's on the river just north of the U.S. Consulate.