Kawasaki d-Tracker Tyre Pressures.

chiangrai

Hi

I have a d-Tracker 125cc and I find it skids very easily.I'm not very mechanical but some one advised me that it could be because the tires are two hard,it gives a very bumpy ride also.

Seens as there is no tire gauge in our town up til now I have just been letting the Thai guy do it Thai style.I would say that this method definitely over fills the Tyre.So I got myself an electronic tire gauge.

I have no manual for the bike and don't know what pressure to use.I was going to look it up on an English website but I was told that they set different tire pressures in Asia because of the heat.

So can anybody recommend the best tire pressures for a d-Tracker 125cc with a 60kg rider.It still has the original racing tires on.

I would love some help on this because I think it would give me a softer and safer ride.

All help welcome.

There will be a max tire pressure with a max load on the side of the tire. Try starting about 80% of that figure and go from there.

Be aware that too low a pressure will heat up tires on the road fairly quickly.

Seedy is right check the tire wall for the max pressure but if you have quality tires their website will give the recommended pressures. Always inflate your tires when they are cold i.e. in the morning and invest in a portable air compressor and do it yourself. One of the best investments I've made. They are very cheap and work from the mains or cigarette lighter in a car. Less pressure = more grip but higher fuel consumption and slower speeds.

Thanks Guys,

Sounds like good advice.

I went out to read the tyres and found

Dunlop T900 G9

120/80-14 MG 58P

Made in Thailand.

Are any of these the maximum pressure.

Also,where is the best place to buy a portable air compressor.

Thanks again.

O.K,

Well I can't find the writing on the tires but I found a website which said,front tire1.5 and rear 1.7 BAR but it didn't say that was maximum,

So I will start from there.

Are there decent portable compressors to be had in Thailand or do you need to import.

Thanks for the help.

Are there decent portable compressors to be had in Thailand or do you need to import.

Thanks for the help.

You don't need a compressor to keep your tires inflated smile.png

Get a bicycle pump, something like this for example. You get them in every supermarket or car accessories store for little money:

62602081.jpg

Or spend some more money for a nice quality bicycle pump, you can use these for high pressure in road racing bicycles too:

Topeak%20floor%20pump%20joe%20blow%20ll.

Well, there are some portable engine starters that double as battery chargers and have a small compressor too, are quite cheap and one of the most useful purchases.

About tire pressure, assuming road use only, I woul start with the classic 2.0 F / 2.2 R.

I usually go to any big Gas station with Electronic pumps, you set the number of PSI, let's say 30 front and 32 rear, then let the machine do the work. Esso works good, on Shell I find them bad maintained and not working well.

as many suggested, just get your self a small air compressor. it's good to have one.

edit: I use 32(front) 34(rear) PSI on a Michellin tires. (90/80)

Edited by brfsa2

I usually go to any big Gas station with Electronic pumps, you set the number of PSI, let's say 30 front and 32 rear, then let the machine do the work. Esso works good, on Shell I find them bad maintained and not working well.

as many suggested, just get your self a small air compressor. it's good to have one.

edit: I use 32(front) 34(rear) PSI on a Michellin tires. (90/80)

i use shell ones if possible.

Dont trust esso ones.

But these pumps are not super accurate imo so the best is going to a proper tire shop and let them test the air with a gauge.

Alternatively, you can buy an air gauge for cheap for yourself.

Also, tires need to be cold to check it accurately.

I've found that bike shops not only don't have a tire gauge, but don't even know (or pretend to know) what it is.

Big C sells no less than 3 types of tire gauges. I've tried mine today on my friend's Fortuner, and what had to be 2.1 was, of course, 2.6.

Edited by paz

i set one of those machines to put in 32psi and it was still putting in air at 60+psi when i pulled it off (tested by another guage i had in my pocket )

as i could hear the tyre stretching (probably not far from exploding )

NEVER EVER trust a garage guage in thailand

keep your ha nd on the tyre as the air is going in and keep squeezing it ,when you can on longer press it in its hard enough ,too much air is as bad if not worse

for your traction that too little so get it inflated properly at next opportunity