Foreign envoys asked to help invite tourists to Songkran

webfact

POLITICS

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Foreign Minister Surapong Tohvichakchaikul on Wednesday asked the foreign envoys to help invite their people to come to Thailand to enjoy the Songkran festival given that the state of emergency has already been cancelled."

He was speaking after updating foreign diplomats on the domestic political situation, including the relaxation of security measures. He said 21 ambassadors and consuls from 60 countries and representatives of four international organisations attended the briefing at the Foreign Ministry's headquarters on Si Ayutthaya Road. Security was tight with police and soldiers guarding the safety of participants.

Surapong said he explained the invocation and revocation of the emergency decree and use of the Internal Security Act (ISA).

"The decree could be reinstated if the situation becomes worse. On the other hand, the ISA can be lifted if the situation returns to normal," he told reporters.

He ensured the envoys that Thailand is still a centre of trade and investment in the region despite the political problems.

"I expect that the envoys will cooperate and review the level of travel warnings." The diplomats did not bring up any specific issues, he said.

He said he would visit China, Japan and South Korea in two weeks because their visitors to Thailand were dwindling and their businessmen were reportedly considering relocating their investment to other countries.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-20

Security was tight with police and soldiers guarding the safety of participants.

The diplomats will of course get high security. But tourists will not, and given the recent spate of bombs being left in public places, I think the official statement to potential Songkran tourists should be "there is a current situation involving bombs and shootings in public places" and then the tourists can decide if they want to take the risk or not. I personally don't worry about these risks to my own safety, but that is my decision and based on me reading the daily news. Tourists may not be so informed about the volatile situation and sporadic bombings etc. and it is the duty of the state powers here to make crystal clear the current risk level to tourists travelling to public gatherings.

Tourism can be compared to a landlord renting a property to a tenant. If the landlord has a nice clean property with good security and facilities, the tenant will feel more happy about renting it, than if the doors are hanging off and the property is infested with vermin. This is not different to tourism, if you want to encourage tourism you need to "get your house in order" first.

• Like 1

SEE!!! I guess foreign tourism is important enough that 1) the government has lifted the SOE despite the fact that doing so has and will continue to put people at direct risk of injury or death and 2) is now asking other countries to help invite tourists back!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't control the laughter. This is proof positive that tourism is far more than 6% of the economy here.

Wow, how entirely pathetic this country is.

I've been saying those tourist figures of 6% have been rubbish for years, they always seem to downplay the importance.

Those foreign envoys know the score here too and won't be moved one inch by anything coming out of the Thai Govt's mouths.

• Like 2

Geez Thailand has really hit rock bottom, they have to ask farangs to promote their country and send cattle so they can feed on their wallets. TAT says they will break tourist number records this year so why are they begging diplomats to feed them.

• Like 2

I think the Envoys should be warning visitors about: the airport tout scams, duty free shoplifting scam, Thong Lor police random searches yanking tourists out of taxies, the cigarette butt police entrapment scam, the 10 baht TukTuk scam, scammers posing as taxi drivers parked in front of every hotel, the gem scam, Grand Palace closed scam, jet ski scam, violent Phuket Tuk Tuks, Pattaya taxi meter scam, overloading tourists boats, drugging and robberies, random violence, ladyboy pickpockets, double pricing, and allot more.

Agreed?

You are absolutely correct but unfortunately ' diplomacy ' gets in the way so foreign embassies etc. tend to go easy so as not to cause a diplomatic incident by insulting their hosts.

"envoys will cooperate". LOL. How diplomatic! cheesy.gif

Massive loss of face having to ask foreigners to sell Thai tourism.

I'd like to think the envoys will respond, diplomatically of course, that one of their functions is to sell their own domestic tourism not prop up Thailand's situation which is totally self inflicted.

Meanwhile the TAT Brains Trust will be burning the midnight oil as they conjure up more stupidity.

I guess the honeyveering campaign to attract free foreign labour didn't work
Don't speak too soon. Next, he'll have ambassadors personally handing out glossy honeyteering brochures to anyone registering their marriage at the embassy.

Two headlines in the news this morning:

Posted 58 minutes ago

POLITICS

The Nation
BANGKOK: -- Foreign Minister Surapong Tohvichakchaikul on Wednesday asked the foreign envoys to help invite their people to come to Thailand to enjoy the Songkran festival given that the state of emergency has already been cancelled."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted Today, 06:03

POLITICS
Military to maintain bunkers despite lifting of emergency

The Nation
BANGKOK: -- THE MILITARY will maintain its force and 176 street bunkers across Bangkok, even though the government has lifted the emergency decree.

Edited by ZigZagMan

Two headlines in the news this morning:

Posted 58 minutes ago

POLITICS

The Nation

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted Today, 06:03

POLITICS

Military to maintain bunkers despite lifting of emergency

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- THE MILITARY will maintain its force and 176 street bunkers across Bangkok, even though the government has lifted the emergency decree.

You forgot this one

Positive factors fuel baht: BOT

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- THE BAHT has been rallying on growing optimism over the end to the Bangkok state of emergency and firming investor confidence in emerging-market countries after their economies did not slow down as expected.

I thought it was a sort of 'sacred' time, so sacred that they are contemplating suing Singapore for having one. Surely it's not the kind of thing you want foreigners ruining?

I wonder if the Singaporean Embassy was on the ' Help Us ' list ?

• Like 1

He was speaking after updating foreign diplomats on the domestic political situation, including the relaxation of security measures.

I hope he didn't disclose too much to the Singapore ambassador. Otherwise, they'll know all the secrets to organising a good Songkran.

• Like 1

Seems Singapore is now getting into the swing of celebrating Songkran, no doubt without the fatalities that Thailand experience every year. Many of my friends are questioning coming to Thailand given how really expensive it has become compared to other countries within Asia.

If you want to atttract more tourists, then perhaps TAT should be asking why a taxi fare in Singapore is cheaper than say in Phuket ?

Edited by useronthenet

SEE!!! I guess foreign tourism is important enough that 1) the government has lifted the SOE despite the fact that doing so has and will continue to put people at direct risk of injury or death and 2) is now asking other countries to help invite tourists back!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't control the laughter. This is proof positive that tourism is far more than 6% of the economy here.

Wow, how entirely pathetic this country is.

I think you're pretty much correct...the other factor is that there are many "influential" people, politicians included, that have big stakes in the tourist industry....resorts, hotels, air services and etc. in all the tourist areas...obviously these people are feeling the downturn and applying pressure to the government.

To have the FM ask (beg) other foreign envoys to get on board and lure tourists back to Thailand, is farcical.....again...their level of intelligence shines through!

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Just a few days ago Surapong was ready to invite the UN chief to Thailand to mediate in the political conflict, implying Thais couldn't solve the problem themselves and were on their way to a failed state.
Suddenly it's all change, please come to Thailand with your money, investors and tourists, everything is fine,
The man is a joke, devoid of any credibility his words are mere hot air.

Not only is Surapong full of hot air so are all the rest , any thing said, take with a grain of salt , this seems to be a problem in Thai politics.

• Like 1