Battle Royal - The Patong Showdown

eezergood

Can I buy a vote for her?

If all the expats who have wives/defactos/girlfriends got them to register to vote here, we could get rid of Keesin quite easily and partically for free. smile.png

Problem is that many Thai people 'living' on Phuket Island are not registered as residents = no vote here. My wife has been registered as living in Phuket for over 16 years and has a vote here, but displays complete apathy to the electoral system because it is so corrupt and she ends up not bothing to vote as too many voters are in the pocket of those corrupt wanabees.. very sad that the system is way beyond repair.

"If all the expats who have wives/defactos/girlfriends got them to register to vote here" - I gather being a Phuket resident entitles you to also vote, if registered. That's what I was getting at.

Resident/registered - just get them to do it, and show up on election day. How hard can that be????

What about the Patong bar owners? They should be giving their staff a few baht to register and vote. It would be better for their business if there were some positive change here.

The sheer numbers of the women, who have farang, surely would have an effect on the outcome, given the counting is also not corrupted.

Edited by NamKangMan

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^

NKM - maybe you are living on another Planet Phuket. Very few Thai partners are interested in registering as a resident here in Phuket. Their allegiance is back in their home town/village and they want to have a vote there. Phuket is not their long term objective.

^

NKM - maybe you are living on another Planet Phuket. Very few Thai partners are interested in registering as a resident here in Phuket. Their allegiance is back in their home town/village and they want to have a vote there. Phuket is not their long term objective.

I am living on Planet Phuket. The world where the baht rules all.

Are you really telling me that the various wives/defactos/girlfriends will not accept this request from their farang?

Who is wearing the pants????

Who is putting food on the table in Issan????

Maybe some farang should harden up and say, "You no register and vote. I not send money Issan this month."

Job done - and real quick. smile.png

Sorry, but sometimes farang need to say, "Up 2 me. Not up 2 U" instead of fueling the economy here, yet being treated lower than a Soi dog by ALL Thai's. biggrin.png

Edited by NamKangMan

^

Maybe your wife - not mine.

@ NKM

I resent your defamation of Issan ladies. And no, my wife is from the South. You really have no clue. I am out of here other than my mod monitor role.

No offence to you, your wife, or anyone else, but, are you seriously disputing a large number of farang spouses are from Issan???? II would suggest a high percentage are, and we all know the reason for that statistic.

Far be it from me to question the legitimacy of the relationships of members, but seriously, let's be realists here.

NKM, as always, happy to entertain. :)

^

Maybe your wife - not mine.

No - my wife is registered here and our business is our joint long term objective. My comment was a generalisation.

My wife, from the south as it goes, also has such little faith in the system that she will no even turn up to vote. I have tried to point out a wasted vote is tragic, but when she highlights the fact that 200+ people live in 4 houses then it does nullify my point!

Had a long conversation with my wife about this subject during our morning walk along the beach. Her main reason for not bothering to vote is quite simple. All the candidates are corrupt and only want to line their own pockets and help their cronies. If she thought there was a good clean candidate then she would would vote for him/her. But these sort of candidates don't exist in Thai politics.

Had a long conversation with my wife about this subject during our morning walk along the beach. Her main reason for not bothering to vote is quite simple. All the candidates are corrupt and only want to line their own pockets and help their cronies. If she thought there was a good clean candidate then she would would vote for him/her. But these sort of candidates don't exist in Thai politics.

Perhaps the logic should be, pick the best of a bad bunch?

Are you sure about that, or was that soi named after the family for developing it years ago before Patong was developed?

local tuk tuk driver outside our office is related to her..

I have seen and heard better arguments.

My wife's point is that they are all a bad bunch, there is no 'best' = she would not give her vote to any of them.

• Like 1

My wife's point is that they are all a bad bunch, there is no 'best' = she would not give her vote to any of them.

Cant argue with that!

Back to my original point, this is squarely aimed at the long term residents, given the history etc. what are the chances she can win or more accurately he can loose?

<snip>

Back to my original point, this is squarely aimed at the long term residents, given the history etc. what are the chances she can win or more accurately he can loose?

The election is bought and paid for already - Pian will win. He has the money. sad.png

<snip>

The election is bought and paid for already - Pian will win. He has the money. sad.png

As i suspected

<snip>

As i suspected

Of course that money will need to be recouped, so no changes coming if elected again as change means loss of income.

<snip>

Pian in the arse i say.

• Like 1

Let's hope, but I'm sure there is currently a registration drive on for the convicted fraudster, with all his cronies bringing in their family members from outside the province and registering on the local tabien baan, with compensation of course. This guy does not want to relenquish power ( and the millions that go along with it).

Rumour has it all the hotels are telling there employees to register the tabien baan at the hotels or loose their jobs and of course vote for who!!!!

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

We have a massive untapped voter base here in Patong.

If every farang "sponsored" just one bar girl, or freelancer, to register and vote here, for say, 500 baht, maybe we could get rid of him in the same way he gets rid of his opposition, but for cheaper. biggrin.png

The incumbent Mayor would then have to take care of the various "issues" here or face being a one term Mayor due to a voter backlash by unhappy farang expats. biggrin.png

• Like 2

What are you talking about NKM ....

Are you dreaming. You really think a non registered (in Phuket) Thai person is going to re-register for a mere 500 baht. That person will receive at least 500 baht for voting in their local area. Plus they are not the least bit interested in politics. Whereas they are more interested in 'helping' out in their home village. Please their parents and extended family, etc. You really have no idea given your long time in Thailand ... shake my head icon

• Like 2

Are you dreaming. You really think a non registered (in Phuket) Thai person is going to re-register for a mere 500 baht. That person will receive at least 500 baht for voting in their local area. Plus they are not the least bit interested in politics. Whereas they are more interested in 'helping' out in their home village. Please their parents and extended family, etc. You really have no idea given your long time in Thailand ... shake my head icon

I doubt they travel all the way back to Issan to vote, in any election. If an election happens to be on, when they are there, sure, they will take the money and vote.

As for Patong, they can register to vote here, and then vote. Nothing illegal about it.

Keesin, and others, have never bothered with these constituents, but Thaksin did, and bought himself the top job in the country, twice, and once through his sister.

Maybe 500 baht is a bit short, but it could work. i'm surprised you think it couldn't work, because it's how the elections have been running here, for years. You know that. All I am saying is it would be farang money, not a candidate's money.

Are all the bars on the island closed or is it just Patong? Tomorrow also?

Why would bars be closed?

Edit, just saw, advanced voting for a Phuket seneator, so bars closed all over the island Saturday night. Same next weekend when actual voting takes place.

Edited by stevenl

I doubt they travel all the way back to Issan to vote, in any election. If an election happens to be on, when they are there, sure, they will take the money and vote.

As for Patong, they can register to vote here, and then vote. Nothing illegal about it.

Keesin, and others, have never bothered with these constituents, but Thaksin did, and bought himself the top job in the country, twice, and once through his sister.

Maybe 500 baht is a bit short, but it could work. i'm surprised you think it couldn't work, because it's how the elections have been running here, for years. You know that. All I am saying is it would be farang money, not a candidate's money.

Wrong. Some of them do travel home to vote in local elections as often family members and friends are standing. For general elections and senate elections there's no need for them to go home as they can cast a vote for their local constituency right here in Phuket. Also they are more interested in their local family areas than they are in a place where most of the workers are transient. Most Patong workers probably don't really want to be there but that is where the work is.

Interestingly, some of Pian's supporters, namely taxi drivers, have to be registered on a Phuket tabien baan in order to get a taxi licence.

• Like 1

Let's hope, but I'm sure there is currently a registration drive on for the convicted fraudster, with all his cronies bringing in their family members from outside the province and registering on the local tabien baan, with compensation of course. This guy does not want to relenquish power ( and the millions that go along with it).

Rumour has it all the hotels are telling there employees to register the tabien baan at the hotels or loose their jobs and of course vote for who!!!!

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

never let the truth get in the way & all that

• Like 1

Wrong. Some of them do travel home to vote in local elections as often family members and friends are standing. For general elections and senate elections there's no need for them to go home as they can cast a vote for their local constituency right here in Phuket. Also they are more interested in their local family areas than they are in a place where most of the workers are transient. Most Patong workers probably don't really want to be there but that is where the work is.

Interestingly, some of Pian's supporters, namely taxi drivers, have to be registered on a Phuket tabien baan in order to get a taxi licence.

"Wrong. Some of them do travel home to vote in local elections as often family members and friends are standing." - I'm sure the majority of girls working in the sex trade on Phuket have family and friends in politics in Issan. cheesy.gif