BMW 116i-sport M series...Good...Bad...Indifferent

I used the search function for any posts on this vehicle and came up with zero. Apparently expensive euro-hatches aren't in much demand in Thailand. However, I happened to see and sit in one today at my local mall and was impressed. The exterior design was really to my taste as well. I know the low-slung car with high-profile tires isn't at all practical in Thailand but for the first time in years of looking, I found myself really liking the interior and exterior looks of new car in Thailand. To me, all the Japanese cares are too derivative or just plain weird (Juke). The BMW looked classy with lines that would age well. The price of B 2M also seemed reasonable for Thailand. I know it's twice the price of a Ford Focus but heck, you only live once and it's half the price of a 3 series.

I just piss around Pattaya most times, with little long distance driving so a smallish car could be just the thing and it doesn't flood very often here so shouldn't be home bound much with such a low riding car. Am I completely insane to even consider this car or could it be just the thing for a fun drive around town?

You are right, expensive hatchbacks seem to be a tough sell in LOS.

BMW's price list has the X1 starting at 2M and the 320i at 2.2M.

Not that much more than the 1 Series.

You're right there but 10% ain't nothing. And I've always liked the versatility of a hatchback. BMW also has there 5 year scheduled maintenance and warranty program for this vehicle so that provides some peace of mind against expensive repair bills.

You are right, expensive hatchbacks seem to be a tough sell in LOS.

BMW's price list has the X1 starting at 2M and the 320i at 2.2M.

Not that much more than the 1 Series.

I am really surprised that the 320i is listed at 2.2 million, last time i checked it was 2.6 million. The 2.2 mil 320i you are talking is it the new f30 series?

You know you want it. Why risk coming here to have other folks rubber stamp what you've already decided?

The heart wants what the heart wants. If you have the coin, buy it, enjoy it- and don't look back.

For me. $60-$70K for a subcompact is not going to happen when there's other functional alternatives for half that. But it ain't my money (and my decision is skewed by a short time window in country).

I have a friend that recently bought the 116i. He says that it drives OK but is a bit short on power. I have not been for a ride in the car but just from sticking my head in it looks like it is just cloth seats, and I am guessing not too many other accessories.

Apparently expensive euro-hatches aren't in much demand in Thailand.

There are lots of "hot hatches" in Thailand or at least in Bangkok.

Not noticed a BMW 116 but

Mercedes A250

Skoda Fabia vRS

VW Golf GTI

Volvo V40

VW Sciroco

warm not hot

Audi A1

Citroen DS3

A friend has an older Peugoet 306 turbo

Edited by VocalNeal

I have a friend that recently bought the 116i. He says that it drives OK but is a bit short on power. I have not been for a ride in the car but just from sticking my head in it looks like it is just cloth seats, and I am guessing not too many other accessories.

Yes the Thai spec engines are not what one finds in Euro/USA. However, the one they have now for B 2M includes an "M" spec interior/exterior trim package (not engine of course) so is pretty loaded, including leather seats, bi-Xeon front lamps, larger run-flat tires/wheels, and a few other odds and ends.

Yes the Thai spec engines are not what one finds in Euro/USA. However, the one they have now for B 2M includes an "M" spec interior/exterior trim package (not engine of course) so is pretty loaded, including leather seats, bi-Xeon front lamps, larger run-flat tires/wheels, and a few other odds and ends.

The "M" spec sounds a step up on what my mate has then. Overall he seems happy enough with the car, says that it drives and handles well, just wishes that it had a bit more power.

Apparently expensive euro-hatches aren't in much demand in Thailand.

There are lots of "hot hatches" in Thailand or at least in Bangkok.

Not noticed a BMW 116 but

Mercedes A250

Skoda Fabia vRS

VW Golf GTI

Volvo V40

VW Sciroco

warm not hot

Audi A1

Citroen DS3

A friend has an older Peugoet 306 turbo

But which of these have a price similar to the BMW 116? I would guess that none of them, unlike the BMW, is assembled here and would therefore suffer a price handicap.

Well most are cheaper.

VW more expensive. Audi don't seem to offer A1 any more?

Mercedes A250 is more but the A180 is less.

All the rest Cheaper. So just because it is made here doesn't seem to effect the price.

Actually the Volvo looks like the sleeper if one is worried about money.

Edited by VocalNeal

Maybe 0-100 is not the best judge but its an easy one to consider.

Mercedes A250 priced @ 2.49m (6.5sec) A180 priced similar to the BMW 116 1.9m (9sec?)

Skoda Fabia vRS 1.9m (7sec)

VW Golf GTI Mark 6 around 1.9-2m (old model) (7sec)

Volvo V40 1.69m (is a far quicker car than a BMW 116) (6.5sec)

VW Sciroco around 1.9-2m (pre facelift) (7 sec)

Mini Cooper S around 2.65m (new model just coming out) (6.5sec)

Mini Cooper (the equivalent to a 116) (new model jjust coming out) (9sec)

warm not hot

Audi A1 - grey only around 2m for the gutless equivalent to a 116 (9sec); 2.8m for the 185HP A1 (7sec)

Citroen DS3

Also worth considering

Fiat Abarth - 7.5sec - the 595 and the Ferrari 695 Tributo version is around 2.4m and has 185HP

From my conversation with BMW I understood (maybe incorrectly) that the 116 is imported completed, and was basically brought in to compete against the A class in the short term (especially the A180) also imported along with the CLA, with a longer term view to manufacture locally. Hence the reason for the sewing machine engine and attractive entry price. Now that BMW are building the Countryman/Paceman here locally which I think is sharing the X1 platform in some way, then at some point I presume they will add the 1 series onto that list but probably with the new model coming that is a front wheel drive shared between the Mini Cooper and the 1 series - again, not sure they will build here or not yet (Mini Hatch maybe, I think they are testing to see if people flip out finding out the Countryman/Paceman Mini SUVs are being built outside England at this point).

I love how the BMW 1 series looks; it's a lovely low slung car and I had the predecessor 118i a few years ago. However, the 116 is going to be more than a little underpowered - most of the 'hot' hatches on the list above will stomp all over it in speed, and handling BMW are good, but not likely that much better than most of the above when they are underpowered); there is supposedly a way to up the power using an ECU tune (I believe the 118 engine is also the same with a different tune called an N13/N18 which I think is much the same engine in the just disappearing R56 Mini Cooper S and the 114,116 and 118 BMWs but with slightly different tunes) but of course that voids the warranty; AC Schnitzer or Hertze or that type of firm have software modifications that can do it.

Note that the normal way to crank up power with these sorts of engines is pretty basic - change the air intake, the exhaust, ECU tune. However, BMW ECUs are a bit more 'locked' than some other brands - VW for instance it is dead simple to just go to APR/MTM or similar, and modify the software and go from 205HP to 240HP in about 30 minutes, with a clear series of options that can get you to 300HP++ if you wish. I believe AC Schnitzer Thailand may refuse to do similarly for some odd reason but if they did, this is how you would do it:

http://www.ac-schnitzer.co.uk/1series.htm

Problem is the fuel quality; we don't have high octane fuel here, so the APR and VW tunes know this, I am not sure the Euro tuner industry is quite so familiar or big here.

Edited by steveromagnino
  • Like 2

Mercedes A250 priced @ 2.49m (6.5sec) A180 priced similar to the BMW 116 1.9m (9sec?)

warm not hot

Audi A1 - grey only around 2m for the gutless equivalent to a 116 (9sec); 2.8m for the 185HP A1 (7sec)

Citroen DS3

Also worth considering

Fiat Abarth - 7.5sec - the 595 and the Ferrari 695 Tributo version is around 2.4m and has 185HP

I love how the BMW 1 series looks; it's a lovely low slung car and I had the predecessor 118i a few years ago. However, the 116 is going to be more than a little underpowered - most of the 'hot' hatches on the list above will stomp all over it in speed, and handling BMW are good, but not likely that much better than most of the above when they are underpowered); there is supposedly a way to up the power using an ECU tune (I believe the 118 engine is also the same with a different tune) but of course that voids the warranty; AC Schnitzer or Hertze or that type of firm have software modifications that can do it.

All those specs are interesting and I've been going to the BKK auto shows one or twice a year for the last few years and have seen and sat in many of them. I'm not really a "car person" but generally just like comfortable practical and safe transportation. I've never owned a prestige make like a BMW or Merc but have always had practical Toyos and Hondas in the past. In fact, I don't think I've ever owned a real wheel drive car, except did drive my folks '67 Ford Mustang. (I did have a quick turbo Mitsu Eclipse for a few years after college and that was certainly fun.)

In Thailand I've had super practical T&H SUVs. I've been in the market for awhile and nothing has really caught my eye...then I saw the BMW on show at my local Central and really liked the looks. I sat in it and while it was very low from what I'm used to in my SUV, the interior was nice. Lots of safety kit too, including 6 airbags. The back was surprisingly roomy as well, at least for short trips. This model also comes with 17" wheels vs. 16 inches on non-M spec versions (with something about the rear tires being bigger than the fronts, which I didn't really get but I take it aids handling). Also get the Valencia Orange and Estoril Blue color choices, along with black and white.

I'm not really interested in comparing the 116 to its Thai competitors but just getting opinions on it as it is offered in Thailand. 98% of the time it's just me zipping around Patts so I could live with this somewhat zippy semi-roadster and it might be a fun change from 12 years of SUVs. It's also a fairly cheap way to get into a BMW in Thailand.

The dealer at Central was German Auto from Bangna in Bangkok. They told me by the end of this year, they would be opening a dealership in Bangsaray, so for servicing I wouldn't have to go to Chonburi or Bangkok. (Don't know if there's a BMW dealership in Rayong.)

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

From my conversation with BMW I understood (maybe incorrectly) that the 116 is imported completed, and was basically brought in to compete against the A class in the short term (especially the A180) also imported along with the CLA, with a longer term view to manufacture locally. Hence the reason for the sewing machine engine and attractive entry price. Now that BMW are building the Countryman/Paceman here locally which I think is sharing the X1 platform in some way, then at some point I presume they will add the 1 series onto that list but probably with the new model coming that is a front wheel drive shared between the Mini Cooper and the 1 series - again, not sure they will build here or not yet

Yes, the BMW rep explained the 116-isport version I saw and described above is a new CDK complete knocked-down version assembled in Thailand. The previous models were imported. That's why they can offer the "M" trim specs/upgrades over the imported version and still offer the B 2M price. (Imported version no standard leather seats, no xenon headlamps, and 16" vs 17" tires, maybe a few other doo-dads.) Edited by OMGImInPattaya

It's a nice looking and handling car, if you like it, then you cannot go too wrong - it's well priced and should hold its value quite nicely for a BMW (BMWs tend to depreciate a little more heavily than Benz in the past, but maybe not at an entry level price point).

German Auto are my favourite BMW dealer, they are very good and rating consistently very highly for customer service.

I really do recommend though that you consider how many great roads there are for blatting around Pattaya; especially in the area around Horseshoe Point; having a 'fun' car to drive adds another element of enjoyment to cruising around; the BMW is excellent in every regard except that it is what I would personally consider to be a little on the underpowered side; however the handling should be good, and it's rare enough to be a nice little headturner as well.

With BSI (basically BMW handles all the costs of servicing other than tires and batteries (and possibly oil, that I don't remember) for the first 5 years/100,000km, it is not so costly to have a European car - this is something that Benz still doesn't match.

Not sure if you have seen the Volvo, handling is probably not quite as sharp as the BMW but for sure it's a lot more performance for the price. Resale will not be so great on the Volvo though.

http://www.volvocars.com/th/all-cars/volvo-v40/pages/default.aspx

There is also an SUV sort of version of the Volvo as well, which I have never seen; we see quite a few V40s around Bangkok now.

If you can, test drive the BMW and the Volvo, I would almost suggest you discard the Benz from a shortlist (the auto system in it is pretty frustrating) and if you want to consider an almost new car, then there are some good hard to find models to choose from, the difficulty in Pattaya will be servicing, so that would maybe steer you back to a BMW or a bigger brand rather than say a Fiat Abarth, Mini Cooper S or genuine hot hatch.

warm not hot

Citroen DS3

Also worth considering

I'm more inclined to look at 80-120 as in the real world not many people do 0-100 on a routine basis. Skoda is about 300,000 cheaper for those counting and sometimes one can get MTM treatment included.

Have a look at <siamnewcar.com>

warm not hot

Citroen DS3

Also worth considering

I'm more inclined to look at 80-120 as in the real world not many people do 0-100 on a routine basis. Skoda is about 300,000 cheaper for those counting and sometimes one can get MTM treatment included.

As I've been saying, I'm not really interested in cross-car comparisons and I'm not interested in zero to whatever times because I'm 50 years old and not into drag-racing. As long as it gets to 100 and has enough power for safe passing power it's fine by me. I have seen all the VWs, Skodas, Peugeots, Audis, etc at the shows and while very nice they're either out of bounds price wise and/or I didn't like the styling. There is also no service for many of these brands outside of Bangkok. As I said, I really liked the 116's styling and was kinda surprised at the price. So thanks to those who have provided feedback on this model specifically and this BMW dealer too.

I'm a bogan at heart, so almost every set of lights in BKK I am dragging from o up to however fast I can go including every entry onto the express way (4X per day), plus here the ability to crank on power to pass is quite important with the number of slow trucks on the roads here.

That said I agree, 80 - 120 is probably the better judge.

If the Skoda Fabia looked a little less grandpa like on the outside (I love the interior) I'd buy it in a heartbeat; love the car and it's got great performance with an MTM tune.

I am not sure what the price will be but the car I would go for from BMW if you like a small blatty hot hatch type is probably the all new 2 series coupe, which is being released this weekend at the Motorshow.

Way quicker and more powerful than the 116, 2.8/2.9m baht though depending on if you go with the M sport option, so a fair step higher than the 116, but also a substantially better, quicker car. Still a bit gutless though (it is producing only 184HP which is pretty pathetic for a sports coupe) but BMW Thailand never brings in the higher power model cars for the most part due to the tax and the price point.

I just drove past one on my way to work today - must be a demo one from BMW Thailand as it was a 120d with dealer plates from I think BMW; looks a lot cuter and cooler than the 4 series IMHO, has that slightly small look to it that is missing from the relatively boring 4 series (which looks like a long slung 3 series which is not really a car that makes me excited on any level). The 1 series hatch though is definitely a looker, although I wonder how the rear of it will age.

If you decide to stick with the 1 series then since it is not exactly a performance car, you could save your cash and get the standard one for BMW 116i (THB 1,749,000 VAT incl.) - you can always flick your own after market rims on it - but the M sport package is probably worth it when you add up the costs of everything and given that selling a car of this nature it always helps if it is 'stock' rather than after market.

Full price list (although being BMW they don't give a price for the new Mini) here

http://www.thailand4.com/.auto/2014-03-25/1635266838a27e00bfeec4457be6400e/

So in summary if you want a few other options in the same vein the BMW starts to look pretty good value - especially when you consider you pay maintenance on the Benz from day 1 (all the rest for the most part have at least some maintenance included other than the grey mkt beasts):

VW Sciroccco around 2m

Hyundai Veloster around 1.74m

Benz A class 1.8m/2.5m

Benz CLA 2.65m

Volvo V40 1.6m

Honda CRZ 2m

Fiat Abarth grey market 2.4m

Audi A1 grey market (122HP) 2m

Audi A1 grey market (185HP) 2.7m

Mini Cooper S F56 new model (guess) 2.75-2.8m

Toyota GT86/Subaru BRZ 2.65m

Edited by steveromagnino

I am not sure what the price will be but the car I would go for from BMW if you like a small blatty hot hatch type is probably the all new 2 series coupe, which is being released this weekend at the Motorshow.

Way quicker and more powerful than the 116, 2.8/2.9m baht though depending on if you go with the M sport option, so a fair step higher than the 116, but also a substantially better, quicker car. Still a bit gutless though (it is producing only 184HP which is pretty pathetic for a sports coupe) but BMW Thailand never brings in the higher power model cars for the most part due to the tax and the price point.

I just drove past one on my way to work today - must be a demo one from BMW Thailand as it was a 120d with dealer plates from I think BMW; looks a lot cuter and cooler than the 4 series IMHO, has that slightly small look to it that is missing from the relatively boring 4 series (which looks like a long slung 3 series which is not really a car that makes me excited on any level). The 1 series hatch though is definitely a looker, although I wonder how the rear of it will age.

If you decide to stick with the 1 series then since it is not exactly a performance car, you could save your cash and get the standard one for BMW 116i (THB 1,749,000 VAT incl.) - you can always flick your own after market rims on it - but the M sport package is probably worth it when you add up the costs of everything and given that selling a car of this nature it always helps if it is 'stock' rather than after market.

Full price list (although being BMW they don't give a price for the new Mini) here

http://www.thailand4.com/.auto/2014-03-25/1635266838a27e00bfeec4457be6400e/

So in summary if you want a few other options in the same vein the BMW starts to look pretty good value - especially when you consider you pay maintenance on the Benz from day 1 (all the rest for the most part have at least some maintenance included other than the grey mkt beasts):

VW Sciroccco around 2m

Hyundai Veloster around 1.74m

Benz A class 1.8m/2.5m

Benz CLA 2.65m

Volvo V40 1.6m

Honda CRZ 2m

Fiat Abarth grey market 2.4m

Audi A1 grey market (122HP) 2m

Audi A1 grey market (185HP) 2.7m

Mini Cooper S F56 new model (guess) 2.75-2.8m

Toyota GT86/Subaru BRZ 2.65m

Thanks for the input...will be going to the auto show next week to check out everything in one place.

I just took delivery of a BMW 116i (CBU – Completely Built Unit, manufactured in Germany). Very happy with the car so far. Came with the M-package. Its a twin scroll turbo engine. I have tuned it with Hartge engine conversion, which gives you 171hp. A very smooth ride indeed. Folding rear sets. I brought two suit cases and a folding bicycle on a weekend trip. Back seat space is limited. Unfortunately no navigation, but I will retrofit the NBT iDrive myself.

BMW is going to offer a CKD model (manufactured in Thailand), but it will be equipped a bit differently. No Alcantara seats for sure.

From my conversation with BMW I understood (maybe incorrectly) that the 116 is imported completed, and was basically brought in to compete against the A class in the short term (especially the A180) also imported along with the CLA, with a longer term view to manufacture locally. Hence the reason for the sewing machine engine and attractive entry price. Now that BMW are building the Countryman/Paceman here locally which I think is sharing the X1 platform in some way, then at some point I presume they will add the 1 series onto that list but probably with the new model coming that is a front wheel drive shared between the Mini Cooper and the 1 series - again, not sure they will build here or not yet

Yes, the BMW rep explained the 116-isport version I saw and described above is a new CDK complete knocked-down version assembled in Thailand. The previous models were imported. That's why they can offer the "M" trim specs/upgrades over the imported version and still offer the B 2M price. (Imported version no standard leather seats, no xenon headlamps, and 16" vs 17" tires, maybe a few other doo-dads.)

The imported version have Alacantra seats (more expensive than leather), 17" tires, and Xenon headlamps. Sorry to say a lot of these sales persons cannot say three sentences without lying.

• Like 1

I just took delivery of a BMW 116i (CBU Completely Built Unit, manufactured in Germany). Very happy with the car so far. Came with the M-package. Its a twin scroll turbo engine. I have tuned it with Hartge engine conversion, which gives you 171hp. A very smooth ride indeed. Folding rear sets. I brought two suit cases and a folding bicycle on a weekend trip. Back seat space is limited. Unfortunately no navigation, but I will retrofit the NBT iDrive myself.

BMW is going to offer a CKD model (manufactured in Thailand), but it will be equipped a bit differently. No Alcantara seats for sure.

The Hartge tune looks pretty impressive, is it running ok on gasohol 95 as well (it's the octane rating that matters more than the fuel type supposedly) or are you always able to fill up on super 95 premium? Does BMW Thailand know and endorse the tune - they claimed to me they would 'cut me off' if I fiddled with the tuning of the car (even by AC Schnitzer, part of Millenium group) but ACS were offering their own maintenance guarantee if something went wrong (still covered under BSI for normal maintenance stuff).

From what I can recall when they showed me, thee M sport variant of the 116 that they are selling now for just under 2m, has alcantara seats in the hexagon pattern, and bigger rims plus a small body kit relative to the 116i std at 1.79m).

When you consider the tune is <100,000b, it makes it a little hard for the 2 series to make sense, given it's the same motor (basically) with a different tune (184HP) which you have been able to replicate pretty much (171HP).

It's a bit like the Minis, the JCW tune (not the additional other parts, just the engine tune itself) is widely considered to be not so good by the enthusiasts, who go and get a proper tune and set of modifications elsewhere, with the power far exceeding what BMW/MINI produced out of the factory. However, the issue is with the warranty.

I just took delivery of a BMW 116i (CBU Completely Built Unit, manufactured in Germany). Very happy with the car so far. Came with the M-package. Its a twin scroll turbo engine. I have tuned it with Hartge engine conversion, which gives you 171hp. A very smooth ride indeed. Folding rear sets. I brought two suit cases and a folding bicycle on a weekend trip. Back seat space is limited. Unfortunately no navigation, but I will retrofit the NBT iDrive myself.

The Hartge tune looks pretty impressive, is it running ok on gasohol 95 as well (it's the octane rating that matters more than the fuel type supposedly) or are you always able to fill up on super 95 premium? Does BMW Thailand know and endorse the tune - they claimed to me they would 'cut me off' if I fiddled with the tuning of the car (even by AC Schnitzer, part of Millenium group) but ACS were offering their own maintenance guarantee if something went wrong (still covered under BSI for normal maintenance stuff).

From what I can recall when they showed me, thee M sport variant of the 116 that they are selling now for just under 2m, has alcantara seats in the hexagon pattern, and bigger rims plus a small body kit relative to the 116i std at 1.79m).

When you consider the tune is <100,000b, it makes it a little hard for the 2 series to make sense, given it's the same motor (basically) with a different tune (184HP) which you have been able to replicate pretty much (171HP).

It's a bit like the Minis, the JCW tune (not the additional other parts, just the engine tune itself) is widely considered to be not so good by the enthusiasts, who go and get a proper tune and set of modifications elsewhere, with the power far exceeding what BMW/MINI produced out of the factory. However, the issue is with the warranty.

The tune runs fine on Gasohol, but recommended is 95 benzine. I haven't put any benzine on the car yet, but I plan to try. So far so good. Much better torque as well.

Many people tune and fiddle with their cars. My dealer has no problem with me tuning the car. The tune is reversible, and won't have any effect on the BSI.

You can't really compare it to a 2-series. It's a 2-door coupe. I wouldn't have bought the 2-series either, unless it was a M235 or an M2 ;)