Do I Need A Car In Bkk?

Thaidit

Looks like the job transfer to BKK I am applying for is going to come through and wanted to know if I need a car in BKK. The shipping expense of the vehicle (from the US) will not be an issue since the company will pick up the tabs, but do I need one. How is the public transportation in BKK, will I be able to get around by just using the Skytrain and subway. Any info is appreciated.

Depends on where you'll be staying and working, btw if you are thinking of getting your car from the US here you'd be driving on the wrong side then :D

If the company so generous, why not buy a car here and employ a driver. It won't you cost that much anyway (the driver that is, the car depends on what you're getting)

Explorer :o

Looks like the job transfer to BKK I am applying for is going to come through and wanted to know if I need a car in BKK. The shipping expense of the vehicle (from the US) will not be an issue since the company will pick up the tabs, but do I need one. How is the public transportation in BKK, will I be able to get around by just using the Skytrain and subway. Any info is appreciated.

Bangkok needs your imported car like it needs a nuclear accident.

You dont need a car, there are about 47 million taxi's available in Bangkok at any one moment.

Admittedly most of them are lethal deathtraps but because the traffic will be moving at 6 kph there is not too much to worry about.

Oh, and the shipping expense might be a problem when the customs dept demand 200% import tax for you chosen carriage to be waived through the docks :o

You really don't need a car if you are going to spend all of your time in BKK, and as has been pointed out a LHD car in Thailand would be a nightmare. However, contrary to Brits comments about driving being a white knuckle ride, it's no worse than other SE Asian countries - Malaysia, SG, HK -equally as entertaining, in their own ways.

If you find that you want to get out of BKK there are numerous options, but having a car can be nice - once you get about 100kms out of the city the traffic disappears and driving can be very pleasant - also gives you the freedom to go wherever you want!

Enjoy your stay in Thailand :o

I racked up an average of 60K miles per year driving in the US over 25+ years. I live in BKK and have never driven here. You couldn't pay me to drive here. I think the people who drive here are nuts! And these people drive on the left; how wacky is that? God meant for cars to be driven on the right by civilized people. And the motorcycles! Ahhh nitemare. you take your life in your hands crossing a street, walking down the sidewalk or opening a taxi door with those maniacs flying around. Oh and the 1-way street wrong way drivers! nope sorry, no can think about driving in this madhouse. I'm glad my car in the US was destroyed by a hurricane last year. It was shot anyway and I got 11K insurance cash back for a junk car. Now I have no car and I am happy as a piggy in shit. there's a major BKK positive for you, you dont need a car, no way no how

Edited by monochaser

It really depends on where your office will be and where you plan to live. Cost wise, it is probably very close to equal in cost if no cheaper to take a taxi everywhere as apposed to running your own car. I live in the burbs south east of the city, so I have a car many for the convenience factor as taxi’s are not really available at my door step with out booking ahead, and the traffic really isn’t that bad around hear. I’ll drive if I’m going to a location on the out skirts of the city, but I’ll almost never drive if I’m going into the city. Taxis and the BTS (skytrain) are much more convenient so I leave the car at home.

If I lived and worked in the city, I probably wouldn’t own a car. The combination of Taxis and BTS are the way to go. Almost always faster, don’t have to worry about parking, and for the odd time you want to travel outside the city, just rent a car.

You couldn't give me a car for free or pay me to drive one in Bangkok. It's the perfect city not to have a vehicle of any sort especially if you can model your place of stay and destinations around the trains. Fast, cool, cheap, and reliable. They stop running at midnight, but that's when the roads are empty and the taxi's are quick and cheap and of course there will be a dozen taxi's waiting everywhere you look. You'd be nuts to drop such an efficient and cheap system for all the headaches of insurance, licensing, getting a drivers license, maintenance, parking, and all the associated expenses and waiting in lines. Better to just hop on a train and go about anywhere for 30 baht and get there very quickly.

I have the option of bringing a car over from the US, buying one here or not for persnal usage, but unfortunately I will have to drive in BKK. My company will provide me with one to get around during work. I guess I will have to learn to drive the wrong way of the street.

I have the option of bringing a car over from the US, buying one here or not for persnal usage, but unfortunately I will have to drive in BKK. My company will provide me with one to get around during work. I guess I will have to learn to drive the wrong way of the street.

I cant understand why your company would want to pay at least 200% import duty on a left hand drive car, when one can pe purchased alot cheaper in country, thats just complete madness :o

LHD is not really a great problem in the city as you have the advantage of being able to sneak down the breakdown lane and passing is not an issue. Outside of Bangkok it does present the problem of passing when on two lane roads.

As most have said there is no need for a car in Bangkok as taxi are cheap and everywhere. There is very limited parking most places downtown so not having to deal with that is an added benefit.

But you "don't get no respect" if you don't have wheels so if that is an issue the bigger the better. I don't worry about that and use taxi everywhere; much faster then my driving would be as I would be ashamed to cut off traffic and such - in a taxi just go with the flow. :o

I will have to learn to drive the wrong way of the street.

Dont you mean, the correct side of the road? :D:D

:o That is correct - not really a big deal just need to think left or right whatever country you happen to be in. I was driving in yankland within 5 minutes, so driving ob left shouldnt be that big of a deal. Hardest part is shifter and other controls in opposite place, so thats what takes getting use to.

Anyways if you have to have a car - save yourself headaches and hire a driver.

You couldn't give me a car for free or pay me to drive one in Bangkok. It's the perfect city not to have a vehicle of any sort especially if you can model your place of stay and destinations around the trains. Fast, cool, cheap, and reliable. They stop running at midnight, but that's when the roads are empty and the taxi's are quick and cheap and of course there will be a dozen taxi's waiting everywhere you look. You'd be nuts to drop such an efficient and cheap system for all the headaches of insurance, licensing, getting a drivers license, maintenance, parking, and all the associated expenses and waiting in lines. Better to just hop on a train and go about anywhere for 30 baht and get there very quickly.

Agree I would never own or drive a car in BKK.I look at the silly farangs driving cars and figure they aren't playing with a full deck.Maybe they never had one before. :o:D:D

I will have to learn to drive the wrong way of the street.

Dont you mean, the correct side of the road? :D:D

:o That is correct - not really a big deal just need to think left or right whatever country you happen to be in. I was driving in yankland within 5 minutes, so driving ob left shouldnt be that big of a deal. Hardest part is shifter and other controls in opposite place, so thats what takes getting use to.

Anyways if you have to have a car - save yourself headaches and hire a driver.

Why are the "shifter" (gear stick??? -- it´s still between the 2 front seats........) and "other controls" (clutch and gas pedal???? - they are in the same position on left-hand and right-hand cars) in the opposite place??? That must have been one hel_l of a car you had....... :D

THanks for all of the input. I will most likely leave my car behind and assess the situation when I get to BKK. I love taking public transportation and have taken the skytrain when I was there as a tourist and thought it was great. How is the subway system?

:D We bought a car when we first moved here as the girls were little and the youngest was a baby. The eldest wouldn't sit still and as taxi's don't have rear seat belts :D , we thought a car was the way to go. Now they are older I want to sell the car but doubt anyone would be daft enought to buy it :o . A whole other story on it's own.

To be honest, unless you have family/children to think about I would say don't bother with a car yourelf. They are costly to maintain especialy if you got an american one like what we did :D and taxis an the subway and skytrain are brilliant. Added to this, you can read your book, paper etc while being transported. :D

I have a car in Bkk becuase work gave me one. There is no tax on having a company car in Thailand so I would have been mad not to take it. I live quite close to the office but not close enough to walk so I quite often drive to work, I have a car park at my apartment and a space at work so that's not an issue. Other than that I only drive in Bkk when I'm going to do a food shop or on Sunday's when there is very little traffic. The car is very handy to have if you want to get out of Bkk at the weekends to places like Hua Hin, Kao Yai, Kanchanaburi etc and is good if you play golf but if work hadn't given it to me I doubt I would have bought one

You have made the right decision not to bring your car and assess your situation when you get here. Lot's of offices and places to live are not convenient to the Skytrain or subway, they cover only a small fraction of the city.

I have a car and driver to go to and from work and it is great as I don't live near a BTS station and my office would require a shuttle to get to and from BTS station. I occasionally drive myself around Bangkok and upcountry. I found adjusting to the wrong side fairly easy, but you have to pay a bit more attention and not go into an autopilot mode. There are indeed different rules of the road, but you get used to them in no time. You will often turn on wipers when signaling a turn and also walk up to wrong side of car in a car park, but other then that no real problems.

TH

THanks to all for the useful advices. Thaihome, how much does it cost for a driver per month. I do have small children that will need to be driven to and from school when I am at work.

A coworker who has rotated through BKK told me that he bought a car when he was in BKK, our unique position allows us to buy a vehicle without paying tax on it, and sold it when he returned to the US and made all of his money back.

Would you guys buy one if you did not have to pay taxes on it and how true is this that I would get my money back on the care since I would have to pay taxes in the first place. I do play golf and like to be independent, so I am leaning towards getting a car if what my coworker told me is true.

I can’t remember the exact numbers, but cars imported into Thailand can be taxed at a rate of over 200%. I’ve heard about this tax loophole that you are able to use, so there is a very good chance that you could buy a car here, drive for a few years, then sell and still make a profit. You should get the details from you co-worker, but what he is saying makes sense from what I’ve heard.

THanks to all for the useful advices. Thaihome, how much does it cost for a driver per month. I do have small children that will need to be driven to and from school when I am at work.

A coworker who has rotated through BKK told me that he bought a car when he was in BKK, our unique position allows us to buy a vehicle without paying tax on it, and sold it when he returned to the US and made all of his money back.

Would you guys buy one if you did not have to pay taxes on it and how true is this that I would get my money back on the care since I would have to pay taxes in the first place. I do play golf and like to be independent, so I am leaning towards getting a car if what my coworker told me is true.

We pay our drivers about 8-9k a month plus OT. As American, with children on the package you should be getting (assuming you work for who I suspect) you will probably be living in Nichada Thani and a car will be necessity to get to just about everywhere.

TH

OK .. do you NEED a car in BKK? no

If your company would import one for you ... bring something cool ... you'll make thhe cash back :o But really .. don't bring one.

I saw a LHD VW the other day for about 100k (cheap cheap) May look into it.

But really if your company will pay for bringing a car they should manage to get you a car and driver here ... even over a few years it will cost them less.

Do get your Thai DL (that meeans having a IDL when you get here) as driving outside of BKK is a joy ... and you will see so much more than if you are limited to public transpo and having your driver cart you everywhere.

I LOVE our weekend jaunts out of BKK! Doesn't matter where we go there's always something new to see !

Agree I would never own or drive a car in BKK.I look at the silly farangs driving cars and figure they aren't playing with a full deck.Maybe they never had one before. :o:D:D

Why??? What is so strange about owning and driving a car in Bangkok? Some people don't live downtown and would prefer to be sitting in there own car for 4 hours per day listening to there own music and enjoying there AC rather than sitting in some stinking taxi or bus.

Cheers. Noodles :D

....Do get your Thai DL (that meeans having a IDL when you get here) as driving outside of BKK is a joy ... and you will see so much more than if you are limited to public transpo and having your driver cart you everywhere.

I LOVE our weekend jaunts out of BKK! Doesn't matter where we go there's always something new to see !

One point to make here, you do not need a IDL to get a Thai DL. All you need is a valid license from your home country, take color blind and depth perception test and you are done. I will qualify that this applies to Americans and Brits, I cannot say what applies for others. We have staffed up with about 50 expats over the last year and virtually everyone of them got Thai DL as I describe.

TH.

• 3 months later...

I'd also endorse getting your own car. I hate driving in Bangkok -- well, variously shuffling or perilous dodgem cars, depending on the time of day -- but it is certainly better than being endless bounced out of taxis whose drivers won't go where you want to go.

Of the last five cab trips I've attempted, I gave up on one after 4 drivers refused to take me, threatened another with a policeman until he drove on after saying he wouldn't take me, got bounced out of two who didn't want to take me before taking skytrain and metro away from the mafia on Sukhumvit.

Only two went where I wanted with no fuss. The trips were variously around the center or to the suburbs and my Thai is quite ok.

The last bouncing experience was particularly unpleasant with a punk of a driver, who was threatening even though I had my child with me.

No wonder Bangkok has so many cars.

As mentioned above, getting a driver's licence is easy. You do, however, need a special health certificate from a medical clinic (not a hospital) that says you don't have elephantitis, leprosy, TB or any drug addiction. They cost about 50 baht, at least they used to when I got mine for a life time drivers licence, and are issued after a rudimentary examination.

It is handy to have a car in BKK. When in BKK I am near Ekkamai, near the train station and ride on SkyTrain when going for small shopping into the city. Anything bigger - the car is valuable and the dept stores have parkings.

Going Lotus/Tesco without a car for a reasonable shopping is a pain. Think of 5-6 packs of nappies, to start with.

You could live in the center of the center but being without a car after monthly or even weekly family shopping could make you feel miserable.

Especially with a small child, a permanent baby seat is mandatory. Taxis don't have them.

Driving in BKK is not an issue at all. I still have to see an accident (other than motorbikes).

Bad driving habbits of Thais show up mostly on an open road.

To lease a car (a small one, like Toyota Corolla) would be 30K baht per month, they register, insure and maintain it.

I guess, cost of a bigger car and a driver would be 50-60K per month unless you go for a Benz.