Smog in North worsens, as flights cancelled due to poor visibility

webfact

Smog in North worsens, as flights cancelled due to poor visibility
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The smog in the North had thickened yesterday, prompting the cancellation of many flights and badly disrupting the lives of local residents.

A Thai Airways International flight was made to circle above Chiang Mai Airport before being forced to return to Bangkok because of poor visibility. Flight TG102, which was a Boeing 747, was far too large to land at other airports in the region, Chiang Mai airport official Jirayus Nonthawasee said.

Also vessels traversing the Mekong River near Chiang Rai's Chiang Saen district had to slow down and honk frequently because visibility had reduced to barely a kilometre.

The Pollution Control Department (PCD) is now providing hourly updates on air quality and pollution in nine provinces in the North via air4thai.pcd.go.th. The reports are in Thai.

According to reports, small dust particles in the air have been detected in all nine provinces. Though the air in Tak is slightly clearer, people in Mae Hong Son's Muang district are suffering badly.

Somchai Rungsakhon, chief of Mae Sai district in Chiang Rai, said Thai and Myanmar authorities were checking out the so-called hot spots, where farmers set fire to weeds and wood to clear land, and learned that there were fewer of them this year.

Police officers and rangers are also patrolling on the Thai side of the border to ensure no bonfires are set during the summer months to minimise the risk of jungle fires, he said. He explained that since Chiang Rai was a valley, it was difficult for the smog to be blown away quickly.

Somchai also said the authorities at the Tachilek border crossing were planning to reduce the number of vehicles allowed to go across in order to cut down on exhaust fumes. The authorities in Myanmar are also campaigning against farmers setting fire to clear land because the smog is affecting tourism, he added.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-03-22

It is definitely bad and hard to breath in Chiangmai and this year does seem worse than previous. Thank god for the clampdown and the threats to heavily fine people who burn or the place would be totally unlivable. Definitely can't be impressive for tourists especially if they can't even land.

It is definitely bad and hard to breath in Chiangmai and this year does seem worse than previous. Thank god for the clampdown and the threats to heavily fine people who burn or the place would be totally unlivable. Definitely can't be impressive for tourists especially if they can't even land.

Yes its very bad, Some mornings you can't see the River Ping so i can understand why they would send a plane Back to BKK !

why are people retiring to those unhealthy regions?

Is it cheaper there?(because you can not come out of your house to spend money,lol)

I don't assume why people live where they do. True, some may be retired. Some may be working there or have family living in the area. Some may just like it geographically. Who knows? I really don't care.

It's a sad situation and I have compassion for these folks and see little humor of their plight.

Even flights out of CNX were affected. One Thai flight cancelled and many others held on the ground. We took off 45 minutes late. Now enjoying fresh air on the beach ?

As for the dumb comment about why live in CM, .....don't knock it if you ain't tried it....you only succeed in making yourself look ignorant... For most of the year (>45/52) it is wonderful. Yesterday was exceptionally bad.

• Like 2

why are people retiring to those unhealthy regions?

Is it cheaper there?(because you can not come out of your house to spend money,lol)

I don't assume why people live where they do. True, some may be retired. Some may be working there or have family living in the area. Some may just like it geographically. Who knows? I really don't care.

It's a sad situation and I have compassion for these folks and see little humor of their plight.

Keep your compassion. I like it here in Chiangmai.thumbsup.gif And I am not in any fricking "plight". I'll tell you what you do "assume". You assume that I give a rat's arse about rice chaff burning.

I think I remember reading about this same time last year when the smog was pretty bad up there that our favorite comedian Plod was planning on having a bunch of planes circle around the area, in effect to create a "chimney", for all the smog/smoke to escape.

Sounds like it's time to break out goofy idea again. I mean the water pushers work so well and all.

My spies in Chiang Rai inform me it's raining there...

Any chance it's heading south?

About a week ago I posted a forecast for the 23rd for thunderstorms. Current forecast for CM is possibility for late today and tomorrow. I noticed it was getting darker and cloudier.

post-566-0-11494500-1395483602_thumb.jpg

accuweather

But did you organise a rain dance tywais?

I'm sorry but I'm not sharing the credit for this rain. tongue.png

He will probably claim credit and say he is using his uni toys to shoot particles into the clouds and cause them to act like cloud chambers.smile.png

But did you organise a rain dance tywais?

I'm sorry but I'm not sharing the credit for this rain. tongue.png

He will probably claim credit and say he is using his uni toys to shoot particles into the clouds and cause them to act like cloud chambers.smile.png

Now there's a thought. Project proposal on its way. biggrin.png Curiously enough, I built my first cloud chamber in high school.