Bhutan

Mahseer

Can anyone recommend a travel agent in town who run tours to Bhutan. I know plenty will say then do then offload to the main operator but I'd obviously prefer to go straight to the top. Any first hand experience out there?

Thanks a lot.

Yes certainly will but I'm not doing too well with my hunt. Bangkok is one of the major hubs for Bhutan so was hoping to get a hit from someone who had previously booked and travelled from Bangkok but we'll see what the next week brings.

Cheers

My understanding has always been that all bookings have to be through 'official' agents in Bhutan, so any local agent who says they run such tours would just be booking through an agent in Bhutan anyway and adding a surcharge to your bill.

It's easy enough to do everything yourself. Take a look at http://www.yudruk.com/info.html. There is a very nice summary of travel information concerning Bhutan on their site. I got pretty far down the road to going last year, but had to pull out at the last moment and never made it.

OAH, I have more questions than answers but looking on the web there are certainly plenty of outfits from all over the world offering tours to Bhutan but I was hoping to hook into a tour with at least a couple of Thais onboard and booking in Bangkok gives me best chances.

Looking at Druk Air the Bhutanese airline I see that Oriole travel and tours are the agent and looking at their web site I see they offer tours but unfortunately the link doesn't load but prices work out at the standard $200/day + air fares so I'll contact them and see how I get on:

ORIOLE TRAVELS & TOURS CO.,LTD.

Address: Suite No.141/4 Skulthai Surawongse Tower, 4th Fl., Surawongse Rd., Suriyawongse, Bangrak, Bangkok 10500

Telephone: 0-2237-9201 Facsimile: 0-2237-9200

E-mail: [email protected]

Regarding smoking I believe you are correct Scott but being next to India and the way that lot smoke I doubt it will last plus the King of Bhutan has been here in Chiang Mai a couple of times in the last year so no doubt has an eye to opening up.

Listenup: I am up North at present so if you beat me to Oriole please post feedback but maybe this is the answer we have been looking for.

Happy hunting

Visited Bhutan in the late 90's, cost 200 US dollars a day plus airfare. went by myself and the cost covered a driver, guide, hotels and all meals. well worth it. Great place to visit. Tours was for 7 days.

• 4 weeks later...