Type of snake anyone know what kind ?

BB1955

How would you rate this one?

I went away for a week and was greeted by this one one my return.

Note the triangular head! We learned at school back when we were kids that oval head are harmless and triangular head are poisonous! I don't know if that holds true here!

Yet another golden tree snake killed out of ignorence,.... how do i rate it? a fail.

• Like 1

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one thing I've learned about Thailand snakes is, if in doubt give them a lot of room to escape' they aren't looking for any problems from humans, you are to big to eat, but if you corner one or challenge one it will fight back and if it's venomous you will come in second every time. I've made myself a snake catcher out of PVC pipe and it works perfectly for removing them from around the house, and might I add safely for both of us.

Hi nuananddon,

If you have a picture of the aforementioned snake catcher, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Found this with Google.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=diy+snake+catcher+photos&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&gws_rd=cr&ei=7-EuU-iGIOy5iAf1goCgBQ

Note the triangular head! We learned at school back when we were kids that oval head are harmless and triangular head are poisonous! I don't know if that holds true here!

That doesn't qualify as a triangular head. (It's a mostly harmless golden tree snake. Some venom but you're fine as long as you don't let it chew on you for a while.)

THIS is a triangular head:

malayan-pit-viper-500.jpg

• Like 1

they aren't looking for any problems from humans, but if you corner one or challenge one it will fight back and if it's venomous you will come in second every time. I've made myself a snake catcher out of PVC pipe and it works perfectly for removing them from around the house, and might I add safely for both of us.

I'm no longer in the 'clobber first, ask questions later' camp, however I always struggle to reconcile the above logic.

You do realize that you're saying: "if you challenge one you'll regret it!" immediately followed by: "go challenge it with this cool PVC pipe thingy".

So.. which is it? ;)

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

One of the workers found this snake in the rest room. I was sent in to fetch it out of there. He's dead. The ladies refused to stop screaming until I killed him. I would have liked to let him go. He was harmless.

But killing snakes is fine, just the same. No danger of them going extinct around here.

It's not a good idea to get bit by ANY snake. Even non-venomous snakes can make you sick, at the very least. Handle with care.

nuananddon, please, tell me more about your snake catcher. I want one! I'll detain the little buggers and let them go somewhere far away from here.

What a croc....stop spreading your weak minded fear mongering claptrap...

TV friends, the snake catcher I described can be found if you google snake catcher. That's where I got the plans to make mine, very simple and cheap to make. And to reply to the person who found fault in the way I deal with these creatures, the pole is roughly 4 foot long with a loop on the business end and that will give any MAN enough space between him and the snake so all envolved will remain unhurt! is that fair enough for you.

TV friends, the snake catcher I described can be found if you google snake catcher. That's where I got the plans to make mine, very simple and cheap to make. And to reply to the person who found fault in the way I deal with these creatures, the pole is roughly 4 foot long with a loop on the business end and that will give any MAN enough space between him and the snake so all envolved will remain unhurt! is that fair enough for you.

Very clear!

• Clobbering it with a 4 foot pole == dangerous and I'll be in a world of hurt.

but,

• Trying to loop it with a 4 foot PVC snake catcher == everyone remains unhurt. (Provided that I'm male.)

Check. wink.png

crazy.gif

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

One of the most beautiful snakes about and relatively harmless.....very quick and will scutter away.

If ignorance was never forgiven...it would be a sad world.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why would anybody want to kill any living creature that's minding it's own business?

I wouldn't mind taking a pot shot at Justin Bieber ... whistling.gif

Had to laugh cheesy.gif

Razer beat me to the punch but what the heck, since it had just written this;

Many posters wrote about catching or killing snakes. Food for thought:

“Do not attempt to capture or kill it, as 70-80% of bites occur in this manner.”

From: http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/gaston/Pests/reptiles/avoidsnakebite.htm (Southern States of USA)

“The majority of snake bites occur when people handle snakes in an attempt to relocate or kill them.”

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_snake_bites_in_Australia

The Malayan pit viper is an aggressive snake and advances very quickly. Can you get the noose on a fast moving snake?

This lady may have tried to catch a snake and look what happened to her... or not, I'll let you decide, maybe she just had to relieve herself in the wild and the snake jumped...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFKfG9NpQug

Others think differently: "A woman who though she was pregnant discovers that she has a snake growing inside her body. The shocked woman has no idea how the snake got inside her, although doctors think that she may have drunk water from a well that contained a small common water snake."

Edited by jsflynn603
  • Like 1

Not a Snake Expert either but worked in enough places where some real bad ones were around.

The rule of thumb I was given is that if the snake has a diamond shaped head, watch out for him.

Like most rules, I am sure there are exceptions with snakes to. But when I see a Diamond Head, I walk in a different direction.

Why would anybody want to kill any living creature that's minding it's own business?

Because certain snakes are highly poisonous and you don't want one slivering into your house minding its own business and potentially biting your child ect.....

Edited by InTransit

Because certain snakes are highly poisonous and you don't want one slivering into your house minding its own business and potentially biting your child ect.....

Yet one more solid reason never to have kids... :)

I wouldn't mind taking a pot shot at Justin Bieber ... whistling.gif

Had to laugh cheesy.gif

Does Justin Bieber count as a living creature?

I had a cobra show up in my yard about six months ago. The wife walked past it and didn't see it but our dog saved her from a bite. He took the bite instead and died. The wife got one of the neighbors and he came over and killed it. He took it home and ate it.

Better it's dead so it doesn't come back.

• Like 2

The year was 1962. I was 11 and my brother was 15. Living in the deep south there was an abundance of activities for a young boy to do. Growing up there was great at that time. Unfortunatiatly the world has changed, and not for the better. There were hundreds of 1000s of acres of swampland within a short drive from our home. We would take dad's jonboat out and hunt snakes, mostly cotton mouth water moccisans. On a good day we might get 15.

Back then, going out in any swamp one could see snakes everywhere, a dime a dozen. My brother was a hunter who supported wildlife rules and never hunted out of season or killed more than was allowed. Snakes were not on the list and fair game to hunt.

hognose-snake-bluffing-300x225.jpg

dotpoom, on 23 Mar 2014 - 17:49, said:

I hope you're a vegetarian.

I identify with this statement. I am blown away at how many "animal lovers" frequent KFC and McDonald's, and with meat-infested chicken bones sticking out of their mouths, have long conversations on how to save the whales.

Killing is far from "mindless", and we ought to be proud of our ability to reason and to kill. If it weren't for killing, those who oppose killing would never have had a chance to live in the first place.

Killed are the trillions of rodents and insects and other pest every year protecting YOUR food supply.

Killed are the viruses and bacteria doctors concentrate on destroying day and night, without rest, so that YOU can stay alive.

Killed are the animals we use for meat, clothing, and fertilizer that feed and keep YOU warm and nourished.

Killed are the millions of species of wild animals every year when their habitat is destroyed, making way to plant more crops for vegans and omnivores alike.

Killing is a good thing. The better we get at it, the better off we're all going to be.

Edited by Razer64

I identify with this statement. I am blown away at how many "animal lovers" frequent KFC and McDonald's, and with meat-infested chicken bones sticking out of their mouths, have long conversations on how to save the whales.

While i do agree with you about some of these people I don't see how you can compare a chicken with a whale.

Where i went to university there were a lot of granola heads from back east going to school there. They did not eat meat but wore leather sandals and leather belts. A few times some were berating me about how cruel it was to kill animals for food but when i asked them where they thought the leather for their belts and shoes came from they had no answer.

They don't feel any need to answer to anyone. But they're sure everyone needs to answer to them. They always try to take the moral high ground, even though they have none.

I wasn't comparing a chicken to a whale. According to their point of view, one is just as good as another. I agree wholeheartedly with that view, and feast on chicken and whale meat with equal enthusiasm. Though I have to say I get more chicken than whale. Chicken is more available than whale.

While i do agree with you about some of these people I don't see how you can compare a chicken with a whale.

Where i went to university there were a lot of granola heads from back east going to school there. They did not eat meat but wore leather sandals and leather belts. A few times some were berating me about how cruel it was to kill animals for food but when i asked them where they thought the leather for their belts and shoes came from they had no answer.

They don't feel any need to answer to anyone. But they're sure everyone needs to answer to them. They always try to take the moral high ground, even though they have none.

I wasn't comparing a chicken to a whale. According to their point of view, one is just as good as another. I agree wholeheartedly with that view, and feast on chicken and whale meat with equal enthusiasm. Though I have to say I get more chicken than whale. Chicken is more available than whale.

This one was just blessed ... Most of the time if I see a snake it generally gets a whack with the shovel ........

WHY?

regards Worgeordie

I have a miniature Dauchsund that runs the yard I love her much more than any snake ....

• Like 1

I invented my own snake catching device.

It's highly effective.

Having lost 2 dogs to Cobras over the years, any venomous snake in my domain is a dead snake. Don't mess with venomous snakes unless you are Steve Irwin...oh wait.

Most tree snakes or grass snakes are easy to spot and usually very fast at getting away.

post-21832-0-01957000-1395722811_thumb.j

post-21832-0-81451400-1395722845_thumb.j

• Like 1