British passport for my newborn son

Hi all,

I hope that you can help. I just gave birth to my son two weeks ago. We are planning to go to bangkok in April to apply for his passport. I am in the process of getting all the documents in order. I have come across a problem regarding the countersignature. It states on their guidance notes that the countersignature must have known me for two years and be British, Irish, American or from the eu. I would have many people who can do this if I was in the UK,but in thailand I'm not sure. I was going to use my doctor, but the problem there is I have only known her for ten months and her nationality is thai. I was going to ask one of the Teachers at my school, but then are they considered a professional if they just have a degree and a tefl but no degree in teaching? Am I best to send the passport photos home and get someone there to sign them but they won't have met my son, so not sure they will be able to countersign it. I'm so confused. I really want to get his passport sorted as soon as possible, so I can take him to see the rest of his family.

I also have a question about the passport photo. We went to get it done today, I told her I need the background to be light grey, and she was like ok light grey, no problem. We got it back and it looks white to me. I compared it to my passport and it's definitely white. How strict are they on the colour?

I hope someone can help me. Thanks.

A teacher (even one without a with a degree) is considered a professional and can act as a counter signatory.

7by7 you're a man (?) of great wisdom. In my post here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/694440-getting-a-uk-passport-for-my-newborn-half-thai-child/ with the same questions FiftyTwo has suggested if applying in Thailand I don't need a countersignatory. My problem is that I don't have a photo I can use whilst still in the UK where I have people that can countersign, and when I get to Thailand in a few days I'll be able to get a suitable photo but will have no-one to countersign.

Tine congratulations. I will be following this thread as our daughter was born 6 days ago and we'll be applying for a British passport next week.

Garryuk let me know how you get on at the embassy as I will be going there on the 10th April.

A teacher (even one without a with a degree) is considered a professional and can act as a counter signatory.

7by7 you're a man (?) of great wisdom. In my post here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/694440-getting-a-uk-passport-for-my-newborn-half-thai-child/ with the same questions FiftyTwo has suggested if applying in Thailand I don't need a countersignatory. My problem is that I don't have a photo I can use whilst still in the UK where I have people that can countersign, and when I get to Thailand in a few days I'll be able to get a suitable photo but will have no-one to countersign.

All I know is that in Section 10 of the leaflet Applying for a passport from outside the UK it says that child applicants need a countersignatory.

It does also say, though,

if you cannot comply with the countersignatory requirements your application may be delayed. You must provide a full explanation in Section 8 and we will contact you, using the details on your application form, to agree a way forward.

But if others say they have obtained a passport for an infant without a countersignatory; maybe contacting the embassy for advice is a good idea?

See this page for their contact details.

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies. So do you think it is better to ask the American teacher or will the thai dr be accepted?

As Americans are specifically listed as being accepted and Thais aren't; I'd ask the American.

• Like 1

The Embassy staff know that you may not have known people here for any length of time and they do make allowances.

When we went for our kids passport a few years age I had completely forgotten about the countersign thing but the nice lady said we could just ask anyone of those people waiting to do it.

So I asked a very nice English couple that I had never met before to do the countersigning and that was accepted.

smile.png

I am just going through the same process, make sure your wife (assume she is thai) has a birth certificate. My wife did not have hers and I assumed that a Thai passport with loads of uk visa's would suffice.

They have flagged this in uk and she might have to get a bc before they will issue passports.

Good luck

Just spoken to the embassy this morning regarding the countersignatory requirements and they advised me to call the passport office in the uk. So have asked my mum to give them a call and find out the information.

Garryuk let me know how you get on at the embassy as I will be going there on the 10th April.

FYI copy of post in my own thread:

Went to the British Embassy in Bangkok earlier. Asked if I needed anything from them to get the birth registered in Thailand (as the wife swears that I need something or other certifying there) and they said not. Asked about photos (actually left them at the hotel and they don't allow you to take your phone in which had copies on it so I couldn't show her what I have), she said they are quite flexible given that you can't get a 4-day old baby to open it's eyes and look at the camera. Gave me a checklist of supporting documents - either I've read wrong on the Internet or what I read was incomplete, so for the benefit of others you will need:

1. Child's Thai birth certificate and English translation.

2. Full birth certificate of English parent(s) which shows the name of your/their parents.

3. Marriage certificate if parents are married (and English translation if required, for example they married in Thailand).

4. Evidence that past marriages are dissolved either by death or divorce.

5. Original passport and full colour copy of EVERY page (including blanks) of English parent.

6. Original passport of Thai parent.

7. Two photos (colour on white background), one countersigned.

8. Completed application form.

9. Parents deep poll or name change certificate (if applicable).

10. Proof of address (and English Translation if you live elsewhere).

11. Payment has to be made in POUNDS STERLING using a debit or credit card. You need to complete a separate form containing all the card details (the applicant's name and DOB, type of card, card number, valid from and expiry dates, security number, cardholders name, address, telephone and email, and it has to be signed).

I wasn't aware that I needed a full copy of every page in my passport and that it must be in colour, just thought they'd want the main details page. And I swear I've always read photos on a pale blue or grey background but this form tells me white which is fortunate.

Why have I bothered to write this when most people probably know most of it? Well, apart from the fact that I've been planning this for at least 4 months and there were bits that would have caught me out, the Thai girl dealing with me in the British Embassy told me something very interesting that I haven't heard or read anywhere else yet.

PASSPORT APPLICATIONS HAVE TO BE SENT TO THE UK FROM 6TH APRIL, THE EMBASSY WILL STOP PROCESSING THEM.

Whether that means following the changes you can apply in the UK (and take or post the passport to Thailand yourself) I'm not sure, but at the moment I have it in my head that I had to apply from Thailand because that's where the baby currently lives.

The Embassy staff know that you may not have known people here for any length of time and they do make allowances.

When we went for our kids passport a few years age I had completely forgotten about the countersign thing but the nice lady said we could just ask anyone of those people waiting to do it.

So I asked a very nice English couple that I had never met before to do the countersigning and that was accepted.

smile.png

Then that is a breach of the UK regulations (but T.I.T. smile.png )

Your countersignatory’s occupation won’t on its own mean your application will be successful. But you should always try to get a countersignatory who has ‘good standing’ in your community.

Her Majesty’s Passport Office may contact your countersignatory for more information. If they aren’t available (eg they’re on holiday), your application may be delayed.

Its all here:-

https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications

Edited by Jip99

FYI copy of post in my own thread:

Went to the British Embassy in Bangkok earlier. Asked if I needed anything from them to get the birth registered in Thailand (as the wife swears that I need something or other certifying there) and they said not. Asked about photos (actually left them at the hotel and they don't allow you to take your phone in which had copies on it so I couldn't show her what I have), she said they are quite flexible given that you can't get a 4-day old baby to open it's eyes and look at the camera. Gave me a checklist of supporting documents - either I've read wrong on the Internet or what I read was incomplete, so for the benefit of others you will need:

2. Full birth certificate of English parent(s) which shows the name of your/their parents.

3. Marriage certificate if parents are married (and English translation if required, for example they married in Thailand).

5. Original passport and full colour copy of EVERY page (including blanks) of English parent.

6. Original passport of Thai parent.

7. Two photos (colour on white background), one countersigned.

8. Completed application form.

9. Parents deep poll or name change certificate (if applicable).

10. Proof of address (and English Translation if you live elsewhere).

11. Payment has to be made in POUNDS STERLING using a debit or credit card. You need to complete a separate form containing all the card details (the applicant's name and DOB, type of card, card number, valid from and expiry dates, security number, cardholders name, address, telephone and email, and it has to be signed).

I wasn't aware that I needed a full copy of every page in my passport and that it must be in colour, just thought they'd want the main details page. And I swear I've always read photos on a pale blue or grey background but this form tells me white which is fortunate.

Why have I bothered to write this when most people probably know most of it? Well, apart from the fact that I've been planning this for at least 4 months and there were bits that would have caught me out, the Thai girl dealing with me in the British Embassy told me something very interesting that I haven't heard or read anywhere else yet.

PASSPORT APPLICATIONS HAVE TO BE SENT TO THE UK FROM 6TH APRIL, THE EMBASSY WILL STOP PROCESSING THEM.

Whether that means following the changes you can apply in the UK (and take or post the passport to Thailand yourself) I'm not sure, but at the moment I have it in my head that I had to apply from Thailand because that's where the baby currently lives.

You should apply from where you (as the parent applicant) are based.

If the UK then apply locally. If in Thailand you now have to go personally to VFS offices in Bangkok.

The photocopying of all pages is a nonsense if applying for a childs passport:-

ApplyingforpassportoutsideUK.pdf

If the UK then apply locally. If in Thailand you now have to go personally to VFS offices in Bangkok.

attachicon.gifApplyingforpassportoutsideUK.pdf

I am simply passing on information from a form regarding supporting documents given to me today at the British Embassy which is clearly aimed at child passport applications. She pointed out the bit about including a FULL COPY of every page so that's what I'm going to give her.

I am simply passing on information from a form regarding supporting documents given to me today at the British Embassy which is clearly aimed at child passport applications. She pointed out the bit about including a FULL COPY of every page so that's what I'm going to give her.

The British Embassy won't be dealing with your application.

So now I am even more confused. On the website they clearly state the passport photo should be light grey or cream. And it has been a big hassle to try and get the photo in light grey because for thai passports they only do blue or white. If it is white i wouldn't have needed to spend all this time on it. I guess I'm just going to get some of each colour then.

My mum spoke to the passport office in the uk and they told her that an American or British teacher in thailand would be better than the dr. Whether or not they are qualified teachers in their own country.

Any idea about the proof of address? I have just moved to a new address in thailand and don't have anything with a proof of address. Does anyone know what would count as proof of address?

So now I am even more confused. On the website they clearly state the passport photo should be light grey or cream. And it has been a big hassle to try and get the photo in light grey because for thai passports they only do blue or white. If it is white i wouldn't have needed to spend all this time on it. I guess I'm just going to get some of each colour then.

My mum spoke to the passport office in the uk and they told her that an American or British teacher in thailand would be better than the dr. Whether or not they are qualified teachers in their own country.

Any idea about the proof of address? I have just moved to a new address in thailand and don't have anything with a proof of address. Does anyone know what would count as proof of address?

Do you have a rental agreement on your new address ?

Gary - slightly academic because the woman at the British Embassy will not be involved with the passport application, BUT, check the GOV.UK website.

There are 3 pieces of information that are wrong in the list she gave you - you don't need your marriage certificate (I would still take it anyway) - it only applies to births before 1 July 2006; You don't need to evidence of divorce etc - that is only for affirmation to marry; You don't need photocopies of your passport - yours is only used for ID, the passport is not for YOU. I will need to provide full copies for MY renewal.

Do you have a rental agreement on your new address ?

I don't have a rental agreement unfortunately. But I have managed to get hold of a copy of an old electricity bill. Will this do? Even though my names not on it and it's only a copy.

I don't think it will be much good if your name isn't on it. It could be anybody's. I printed off a bank statement with my UK address.

I'm currently in thailand so I will be having the passport sent to my address in thailand. So does my proof of address have to be my address in thailand? Or can my proof of address be my address in the uk. If I can use the address in the uk, can I also use my bank statement then?

I don't think it will be much good if your name isn't on it. It could be anybody's. I printed off a bank statement with my UK address.

I'm currently in thailand so I will be having the passport sent to my address in thailand. So does my proof of address have to be my address in thailand? Or can my proof of address be my address in the uk. If I can use the address in the uk, can I also use my bank statement then?

You will not be having the passport sent anywhere !

You will collect from VFS.

I believe proof of address is in Thailand as you are applying in Thailand. However, if you argue that you are just visiting Thailand the UK address may be acceptable - I think a phone call to +44 300 222 0000 may be required to answer that question.

BUT - read here to acquaint yourself with the process:-

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand/applying/child/united-kingdom

Also:-

Table A

Identity, name and address evidence

All applicants must provide one document showing photo identity and one document as evidence of name and address dated within the last year.

Photo Evidence

Please provide one of the following:

• your British passport (if you are renewing)

• non-British uncancelled passport

• national identity card or equivalent (or colour photocopy)

• driving licence

• any government or local government produced document which includes a photograph as part of the document.

Name and address evidence

Please provide one of the following:

• visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)

• tax record eg a letter from a tax authority

• educational record eg school report

• employment record eg official letter from your employer

• letter sent to you from a central, regional or local government department

• baptismal or naming certificate

• medical/health card

• voter’s card

• parents’ death certificates if applicable

• immigration documents.

Edited by Jip99