Advice / help regarding Wife moving to the uk.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys.

I've got a few questions.

We're just in the process of filling out the online application in order to get an appointment for early october. We plan to move my family in May, (all being well with the visa application).

My problem is the online form is telling me I can apply with a maximum of 5 months (?) to the proposed travel date. The system is telling me the latest travel date is march if we apply now.

If I fill out the application with march as a travel date will this be an issue because we're planning on May?

Also, if we are sucessful with the visa application, how long is it valid, meaning must my wife enter the uk within a period, and does the visa activate upon entery or from the date of issue.

I'm getting slightly stressed because I want to be with my wife while we go through the process.

thanks in advance.

Edited by classic-chassis

As far as I am ware, the maximum the start any UK visa can be post dated is 3 months; I am not aware of this changing so don't know why the online form is telling you 5.

Whatever start date she asks for, the visa will be valid from that date, and can't be used before, or the day it is issued; whichever is the later.

The initial settlement visa will be valid for 33 months, and after she has lived in the UK for 30 months she can apply for the next stage; Further Leave to Remain.

So she will have 3 months from the visa's start date in which to first enter the UK. If she delays her travel for more than that 3 months the visa will expire before she has lived in the UK for 30 months and she will have to apply for FLR when her initial visa expires.

FLR is valid for 30 months and to be residentially qualified for the final stage, Indefinite Leave to Remain, she needs to have lived in the UK for at least 5 years, 60 months.

So, if she arrives in the UK during the first 3 months of her visa, she applies for FLR after 30 months and then ILR 30 months after that.

But, if she delays her arrival for longer than 3 months she will have to apply for FLR when her visa expires; but that FLR will expire before she has lived in the UK for 5 years. So she will need to apply, and pay, for a second FLR to make up the missing time.

Hope that's clear.

• 1 month later...

just to let all you helpful people know. My wife and i have created a 400 page file, with other supporting documents. We have her appointment on the 27th. She did her KET and got 87/100.

It's been difficult, but hopefully things will go smoothly and we'll get an answer.

We couldn't have done it without the help of this forum, so thank you.

• Like 1

Sorry to rain on your parade but do you really think an Entry Clearance Officer is going to find wading through 400 pages easy?

They only have a few minutes to process each application. If everything is really required (my wife's application was no more than 30 pages plus copies) then make sure it is properly indexed.

For example make sure bank statements are together and key documents are marked clearly so he or she can see the wood for the trees.

Make sure you make it as straightforward as you can. They don't decide based on weight of application!

Best of luck!

(My wife applied before the new income rules so I doubt we could do it in 30 pages now!)

Edited by bobrussell

We just threw it all in a plastic bag in no order what so ever.............

The wife is a lawyer, which means she won't leave anything the chance. Everything is indexed, and in relevant order with a title note attached to the top corner of each section, which is sub-indexed, "sponsors finances" 1.1 Bank statements, 1.2 income slips, 1.3 statement from employer.

If there is any section which is not relevant the officer processing the application can simple skip it. A lot of documents, but easy to assess.

We've been married and lived together for 11 years and have 2 children, naturally that's going to create a lot of paper work.....

We've only included documents as insatructed on here https://www.gov.uk/ and from this forum.

My finacials were over 10 pages, every page of my passport is 32, that's 42 pages already. You wouldn't do it in 30 now, i had 2 old passports which had to be copied, (they won't take the real things).....

Edited by classic-chassis

Sounds good to me!

There are plenty of posts on here suggesting pages and pages of photographs, kilograms of emails and reams of 'fluff' are presented!

Those applications must be an ECO's nightmare and it is understandable that key documents can be missed!

Best of luck!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

My wife will be applying for settlement / spouse visa in jan 2015. This is where I'm at!

+We have been living together in Thailand for 6 years & married for nearly a year now & we have 2 children.

+ my 2 children both have UK passports.

+ my wife has done the English KET test and passed A1.

+ she has her TB certificate.

+ I own 50% of a property in UK which is rented at the moment but this is where we wil be living. I will show mortgage statements, photos ect.

+ I have 20k GBP in UK acc and we have joint acc here 150,000 bt which can show 6 months statements.

+ I will have a letter of employment stating that I will earn over the 18,600.

My worries are about this letter of employment as the company is only small and have only been in business for about 11 months. Could this cause any problems for me??

Also would it be worth getting a genuine visa company to check my application and documents (proof read)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi guys,

My wife will be applying for settlement / spouse visa in jan 2015. This is where I'm at!

+We have been living together in Thailand for 6 years & married for nearly a year now & we have 2 children.

+ my 2 children both have UK passports.

+ my wife has done the English KET test and passed A1.

+ she has her TB certificate.

+ I own 50% of a property in UK which is rented at the moment but this is where we wil be living. I will show mortgage statements, photos ect.

+ I have 20k GBP in UK acc and we have joint acc here 150,000 bt which can show 6 months statements.

+ I will have a letter of employment stating that I will earn over the 18,600.

My worries are about this letter of employment as the company is only small and have only been in business for about 11 months. Could this cause any problems for me??

Also would it be worth getting a genuine visa company to check my application and documents (proof read)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The information you have given is not enough to tell you if all is okay or not.

What do you do now ? Are you working in thailand ? The requirements are that you are in employment now ( in Thailand, if this is where you live), and can evidence that, and that you currently earn 18,600 GBP a year or above. You cannot rely solely on a job offer in the UK to meet the financial requirement.

I may have misunderstood what you have said, but that is how it reads to me at the moment.

Tony M

Hi Tony m

I am currently working in Thailand and have been for 6 years, I don't currently earn 18,600 GBP but I have an employment offer for when I arrive in the UK. I also have 20 k GBP in my UK bank acc is this not acceptable for the financial requirements?

Thanks

Hi Tony m

I am currently working in Thailand and have been for 6 years, I don't currently earn 18,600 GBP but I have an employment offer for when I arrive in the UK. I also have 20 k GBP in my UK bank acc is this not acceptable for the financial requirements?

Thanks

Sorry, it isn't. These are the requirements for a sponsor returning to the UK :

5.2. Category A: With current employer for 6 months or more – overseas sponsor returning to the UK
5.2.1. Where the applicant’s partner is returning with the applicant to the UK to work, they must meet two requirements to rely on Category A:
First, the applicant’s partner must be in employment at the date of application and have been with the same employer for at least 6 months prior to the date of application. They must have been paid throughout that period of 6 months at a level of gross annual salary or income which equals or exceeds the level relied upon in the application. Their gross annual salary or employment income can be combined with any or all of the sources at section 5.1.6. in order to meet the financial requirement. So, again, income under Category A can be combined with Category C: non-employment income, Category D: cash savings and Category E: pension if necessary to meet the financial requirement.
As with employment in the UK, gross income from non-salaried employment held throughout the 6 month period will be calculated on the basis set out in section 5.1.4.).
 Second, the applicant’s partner must also have a confirmed offer of salaried or non-salaried employment in the UK, starting within 3 months of their return. This must have a gross annual starting salary (or in-non salaried employment a gross annual income from that employment, based on the rate or amount of pay and the standard or core hours to be worked provided by the employer in evidence) sufficient to meet the financial requirement, alone or in combination with any or all the sources at section 5.1.4. (Category C: non-employment income, Category D: cash savings and Category E: pension).
5.2.2. Where the applicant’s partner is returning with the applicant to the UK to salaried or non-salaried employment, and is in self-employment outside the UK, they must meet the first requirement in section 5.2.1. through their self-employment income (see section 9 of this guidance for how this income is calculated). The second requirement, regarding a confirmed job offer in the UK, must be met on the basis set out in section 5.2.1.
I should add - you have some savings, so they can go towards meeting the threshold, but it will be necessary to know your annual income to see if you have enough in savings. If you don't want to disclose that here, then send me a PM.

Tony M

Edited by ThaiVisaExpress

Hi Tony m

Thanks

5.2. Category A: With current employer for 6 months or more overseas sponsor returning to the UK

5.2.1. Where the applicants partner is returning with the applicant to the UK to work, they must meet two requirements to rely on Category A:

First, the applicants partner must be in employment at the date of application and have been with the same employer for at least 6 months prior to the date of application. They must have been paid throughout that period of 6 months at a level of gross annual salary or income which equals or exceeds the level relied upon in the application. Their gross annual salary or employment income can be combined with any or all of the sources at section 5.1.6. in order to meet the financial requirement. So, again, income under Category A can be combined with Category C: non-employment income, Category D: cash savings and Category E: pension if necessary to meet the financial requirement.

As with employment in the UK, gross income from non-salaried employment held throughout the 6 month period will be calculated on the basis set out in section 5.1.4.).

Second, the applicants partner must also have a confirmed offer of salaried or non-salaried employment in the UK, starting within 3 months of their return. This must have a gross annual starting salary (or in-non salaried employment a gross annual income from that employment, based on the rate or amount of pay and the standard or core hours to be worked provided by the employer in evidence) sufficient to meet the financial requirement, alone or in combination with any or all the sources at section 5.1.4. (Category C: non-employment income, Category D: cash savings and Category E: pension).

5.2.2. Where the applicants partner is returning with the applicant to the UK to salaried or non-salaried employment, and is in self-employment outside the UK, they must meet the first requirement in section 5.2.1. through their self-employment income (see section 9 of this guidance for how this income is calculated). The second requirement, regarding a confirmed job offer in the UK, must be met on the basis set out in section 5.2.1.

I should add - you have some savings, so they can go towards meeting the threshold, but it will be necessary to know your annual income to see if you have enough in savings. If you don't want to disclose that here, then send me a PM.

Tony M

Hi I am currently earning here in Thailand 46,500 tb per month so that 558,000tb per year before tax. Around 10,900 GBP

Hi Tony m

Thanks

5.2. Category A: With current employer for 6 months or more overseas sponsor returning to the UK

5.2.1. Where the applicants partner is returning with the applicant to the UK to work, they must meet two requirements to rely on Category A:

First, the applicants partner must be in employment at the date of application and have been with the same employer for at least 6 months prior to the date of application. They must have been paid throughout that period of 6 months at a level of gross annual salary or income which equals or exceeds the level relied upon in the application. Their gross annual salary or employment income can be combined with any or all of the sources at section 5.1.6. in order to meet the financial requirement. So, again, income under Category A can be combined with Category C: non-employment income, Category D: cash savings and Category E: pension if necessary to meet the financial requirement.

Second, the applicants partner must also have a confirmed offer of salaried or non-salaried employment in the UK, starting within 3 months of their return. This must have a gross annual starting salary (or in-non salaried employment a gross annual income from that employment, based on the rate or amount of pay and the standard or core hours to be worked provided by the employer in evidence) sufficient to meet the financial requirement, alone or in combination with any or all the sources at section 5.1.4. (Category C: non-employment income, Category D: cash savings and Category E: pension).

5.2.2. Where the applicants partner is returning with the applicant to the UK to salaried or non-salaried employment, and is in self-employment outside the UK, they must meet the first requirement in section 5.2.1. through their self-employment income (see section 9 of this guidance for how this income is calculated). The second requirement, regarding a confirmed job offer in the UK, must be met on the basis set out in section 5.2.1.

Tony M

Hi I am currently earning here in Thailand 46,500 tb per month so that 558,000tb per year before tax. Around 10,900 GBP

If your salary is 10,900 GBP a year, then the savings requirement is 35,250 GBP ( for at least 6 months, and under your control, etc).

Hi Tony m

Thanks

Tony M

If your salary is 10,900 GBP a year, then the savings requirement is 35,250 GBP ( for at least 6 months, and under your control, etc).

Im confused my salary now is 10,900 GBP, if I take 8,000 GBP from my 20,000 GBP savings.which combined would show 18,900 GBP and leave me with 12,000 GBP savings in my UK acc?

William10, it doesn't work like that. This is the official method of working out how much you need in savings. As an example, if you have nil income, then you need 62,500 GBP in savings :

Calculating Cash Savings – Appendix FM
7.2.1. The following calculations are to be used for those applying as a Partner or Child under Appendix FM to the Immigration Rules.
7.2.2. At the entry clearance/initial leave to remain stage and the further leave stage, the amount of cash savings above £16,000 must be divided by 2.5 (to reflect the 2.5 year or 30-month
period before the applicant will have to make a further application) to give the amount which can be used in meeting the financial requirement. The following equation is to be used:
(x minus 16,000) divided by 2.5 = y
Where x is the total amount of cash savings held by the applicant, their partner, or both jointly for at least the 6 months prior to the date of application and under their control.
And y is the amount which can be used towards the financial requirement.
There is a list of examples. The third example is almost your situation :
Savings of £62,500 (62500 – 16000) ÷ 2.5 = £18,600
Income needed = None
Savings of £40,500 (40500 – 16000) ÷ by 2.5 = £9,800
Income needed = 8,800
Savings of £33,000 (33000 – 16000) ÷ 2.5 = £6,800
Income needed = £11,800
Savings of £25,000 25,000 -16000) ÷ 2.5 = £3,600
Income needed = £15,000
Savings of £17,500 (17500 – 16000) ÷ 2.5 = £600
Income needed = £18,000
Savings of 16,500 (16500 – 16000) ÷ 2.5 = £200
Income needed = £18,400

Tony M

Edited by ThaiVisaExpress

Thanks, that doesn't sound too difficult.

So based on that info we can start the application in October.

I just read in another thread about proof of being in a relationship, I'm guessing piles of photos going back over a decade, marriage certs from 10 years ago, one 7 year old child and a 2 year old, a Thai bank book going back more than 10 years and joint visa statements on a single account will be enough proof that it's a real relationship right? LOL

How about the house in the uk? Mortgage statement enough for that?

You will need to show that you meet the annual financial requirement. If you have only been employed for 6 months, you will need to provide all wage slips, divide the total by 6, then multiply that figure by 12. If it doesn't reach 18,600 GBP then you haven't met the requirement.

Tony M

Can you show savings over 18,600 if you don't have the job route to rely on?

OK I jumped the gun.

I will be returning next year and thought having 20k in savings would be enough.

Then find a job at home.

Oh this is a pain.

Ignore me :-D

Edited by jambco984

William10, it doesn't work like that. This is the official method of working out how much you need in savings. As an example, if you have nil income, then you need 62,500 GBP in savings :

Calculating Cash Savings Appendix FM

7.2.1. The following calculations are to be used for those applying as a Partner or Child under Appendix FM to the Immigration Rules.

7.2.2. At the entry clearance/initial leave to remain stage and the further leave stage, the amount of cash savings above £16,000 must be divided by 2.5 (to reflect the 2.5 year or 30-month

period before the applicant will have to make a further application) to give the amount which can be used in meeting the financial requirement. The following equation is to be used:

Where x is the total amount of cash savings held by the applicant, their partner, or both jointly for at least the 6 months prior to the date of application and under their control.

Savings of £62,500 (62500 16000) ÷ 2.5 = £18,600

Income needed = None

Savings of £40,500 (40500 16000) ÷ by 2.5 = £9,800

Income needed = 8,800

Savings of £33,000 (33000 16000) ÷ 2.5 = £6,800

Income needed = £11,800

Income needed = £15,000

Savings of £17,500 (17500 16000) ÷ 2.5 = £600

Income needed = £18,000

Savings of 16,500 (16500 16000) ÷ 2.5 = £200

Income needed = £18,400

Tony M

Thank you very much Tony for your information.

I have a big decision to make now either stay in Thailand or leave my family for 6- 10 months and go back to the UK and work.

Crazy requirement! I have a house ,money in the bank, a job to go back to and I'm still unable to get my wife a visa!

Thanks again Tony

Income needed = None

Income needed = 8,800

Income needed = £11,800

Income needed = £15,000

Income needed = £18,000

Income needed = £18,400

Tony M

I have a big decision to make now either stay in Thailand or leave my family for 6- 10 months and go back to the UK and work.

Crazy requirement! I have a house ,money in the bank, a job to go back to and I'm still unable to get my wife a visa!

Thanks again Tony

You're welcome.

Tony M

Thanks, that doesn't sound too difficult.

So based on that info we can start the application in October.

I just read in another thread about proof of being in a relationship, I'm guessing piles of photos going back over a decade, marriage certs from 10 years ago, one 7 year old child and a 2 year old, a Thai bank book going back more than 10 years and joint visa statements on a single account will be enough proof that it's a real relationship right? LOL

How about the house in the uk? Mortgage statement enough for that?

You will need to show that you meet the annual financial requirement. If you have only been employed for 6 months, you will need to provide all wage slips, divide the total by 6, then multiply that figure by 12. If it doesn't reach 18,600 GBP then you haven't met the requirement.

Tony M

Can you show savings over 18,600 if you don't have the job route to rely on?

OK I jumped the gun.

I will be returning next year and thought having 20k in savings would be enough.

Then find a job at home.

Oh this is a pain.

Ignore me :-D

Yes, you can. With no job, you need 62,500 GBP in savings ( if the application is just for your wife/partner, and more if there are non-British children involved), unless you have another source of income - pension, property rental, etc.

Tony M

• Like 1

Income needed = None

Income needed = 8,800

Income needed = £11,800

Income needed = £15,000

Income needed = £18,000

Income needed = £18,400

Tony M

Thanks again Tony

You're welcome.

Tony M

Hi Tony one last question am I right in thinking,

If I am earning 18,600 GBP or above for 6 months plus and have employment offer when I return to the UK that I don't need any savings?

Cheers

Tony's offline at the moment, so allow me to answer.

Yes, you will meet the financial requirement if:

• you have been working in Thailand for at least the six months prior to the application with an income of at least £18,600 p.a. and
  • have a definite offer of employment in the UK with a salary of at least £18,600 p.a. starting within 3 months of your arrival in the UK.

For the financial requirement in full, click here; Part 5.2 being relevant to sponsors who have been living and working outside the UK.

Tony's offline at the moment, so allow me to answer.

Yes, you will meet the financial requirement if:

• you have been working in Thailand for at least the six months prior to the application with an income of at least £18,600 p.a. and
  • have a definite offer of employment in the UK with a salary of at least £18,600 p.a. starting within 3 months of your arrival in the UK.
For the financial requirement in full, click here; Part 5.2 being relevant to sponsors who have been living and working outside the UK.
Hi 7 by 7

I can't understand why

+if I have definite employment offer when I arrive in the UK.

+I also have 20k GBP savings and also 3k GBP in my thai acc

+ I earn 10,900 GBP with my employment here in Thailand .

Surly 20k GBP savings is better than earning 18,600 pa in previous years employment?

get the UK provisional asap, she can then drive on that for one year, and not have to conform to the restrictions placed on a provisional licence holder, ie 'L' plates etc. at the end of the 12months from entry, she must pass her test to continue as before, or she will have to conform to restrictions etc

link here- http://www.findlaw.co.uk/law/motoring/driving_licence/9851.html

• 1 month later...

Great news to hear that you have got the visa sorted !!!

Can anyone confirm if UK Premium bonds are accepted as savings in support of a visa application ??

I have held Premium bonds for a number of years. These are issued by the UK Government (not FSA regulated) and available to cash in immediately at any time (takes about 3 days).

Great news to hear that you have got the visa sorted !!!

Can anyone confirm if UK Premium bonds are accepted as savings in support of a visa application ??

I have held Premium bonds for a number of years. These are issued by the UK Government (not FSA regulated) and available to cash in immediately at any time (takes about 3 days).

I would assume so.

It is a government savings scheme.