Renting a House in Bangkok

eldragon

I'm thinking about renting a house or townhouse in Bangkok. I'd be living there alone, or possibly with one friend. Just curious how that's gone for some of you. A few people have advised against it, suggesting I'd be a target in any neighborhood and would likely be robbed if I didn't have someone at home at all times.

Not trying to be funny but ......Have anything worth stealing?

If not ...then really nothing to worry about.

Lived in Bangkok for 10 years now in a Townhouse and (knock on wood) ...never been robbed. Great neighbors as everybody looks out for suspicious characters.

If your really that worried ...take out insurance.

good luck!smile.png

• Like 1

Not trying to be funny but ......Have anything worth stealing?

If not ...then really nothing to worry about.

Lived in Bangkok for 10 years now in a Townhouse and (knock on wood) ...never been robbed. Great neighbors as everybody looks out for suspicious characters.

If your really that worried ...take out insurance.

good luck!smile.png

A couple electroic items. But mostly cooking supplies. A townhouse seems a bit safer. One way in, protected by a caged gate. But they're difficult to come by in the central area, huh?

Lived within a 20-minute walk of the CBD for fifteen years, always near a BTS, only rented houses since my second year here, no way I could ever live in a flat/condo, just doesn't suit my lifestyle.

Yes security is an issue compared to being in a condo with 24-hour guards, but these days electronics aren't that much to replace - obviously you're backing up important data to off-site storage right?

Or you take the security measures necessary, in my case not worth it, since I do always have people in the house, only completely empty maybe an average of one week per year. A fulltime live-in maid/cook/nanny should only cost ~8000 per month anyway.

Most expensive was 27000 for a six-storey between Silom and Sathorn near Chong Nonsi BTS, had four self-contained ensuite rooms upstairs and a business office area downstairs, lived free actually made a profit sub-leasing on that one.

Last two places south of Sathorn along Charoen Krung road near Trok Chan, first was a single-storey two-bedroom one-bath for 4,500, but along a Muslim soi too small for cars, many would consider it too "native" for them, moved when the kids were born didn't want them picking up the dialect and trash-talk from the neighbors.

Currently paying 12000 for a five-storey three-bath place near Hotel Menam, business on the first floor, second floor is the kitchen and living/sleeping area for the Thais, top two floors private for me and my kids with a garden/BBQ/patio area and storage on the top.

Yes they do take time and energy to find, especially for a farang to get local pricing and a decent landlord. But well worth the effort IMO, if you're interested I can post my process.

Edited by wym
  • Like 1