What has Thailand become?

khunpa

Why I do not worry too much about what Thailand has or has not become:

Don't own property. Don't own a house. Not married. No children for whom I am legally responsible. Don't own a business. Not employed. Don't go to a shared work space and say I'm not working. Don't live in a tourist area. Don't much hang out with persons who speak or speak only English. Don't own a car. Don't frequent bars at 2 AM. ...

Or to quote from a Country Western song , sorry I can't remember which. "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to loose" it really seems as though you fall into that category.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Although, I know every country in this world changes over time, I feel I am starting to see some general changes in Thailand, which I find worrying and sad.

It's so much easier to find fault in others than to bother looking at our own faults. You know every country changes, but you think Thailand ought to be some immutable museum exhibit designed to entertained foreigners?

I find it sad and worrying that greed & corruption is rampant in the western world and that the divide between the haves and have-nots is widening. One of the reasons that so many farang choose to retire in places like Thailand is because the greed and corruption in their own countries means they can't afford to retire where they worked all their lives.So then they come here and spend their free time criticizing Thais and Thailand while ignoring the mess they left behind.

If you're searching for improvement projects, you should start by looking in a mirror before looking out the window.

6C62M95BV77B4_1T1FO000_BT_L_LS.jpg

Edited by Suradit69

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

...foreigners love this place??? Are you sure it is 'love'? I believe most foreigners come here as an alternative to living in their own country....not that thailand is any better, but it is cheaper and of course there are those lovely thai girls....can't get enough. But LOVE? I don't think so. I have met too many foreigners that are here not because they love it, but rather because they hate their own country and decided to leave. Thailand was just one of the cheapest options.

You forgot....the temples....the food...the culture....the freedom....

Yes. FREEDOM! FREE to run red lights and stop signs! FREE to drive whichever direction you choose on a one-way

street, FREE to ignore/menace pedestrians--in short, FREE to behave as stupidly and as selfishly as you are capable

of behaving--so long as you kiss the exalted, serene backsides of your masters!

never met anyone with a fake degree, you have to be joking, I have only been here a few years and have met several that openly tell you. My wife knows a lot that paid for degrees as well, we get phone calls from teachers asking us for money and you want us to believe that teachers are not corrupt or take payments etc, pull the other one. I love living here but I am also realistic and do not deny all the bullsh*t that happens here(or in my home country), I have witnessed it myself, it seems that you want people to believe in fairy tales and your outright slanted bias, then to top it off you try to threaten someone that queries you, sorry mate but the one with the problem seems to be you. You really need to be realistic and open your eyes and take off the rose coloured glasses. A lot of us love it here but we are not blinded by it and can see the good and the bad, you seem to prefer censorship on anything even slightly negative.

I have a friend who is an Aussie and teaches Thai naval officers. He never fakes anything. I taught Thai military and I never faked anything. Every term my Thai boss asked for my grades. He was insistent on me testing and giving grades. My wife has been out of school for 15 years and she never faked anything or paid for anything nor did any of her classmates. I don't know where you live or what kind of schools you associate with. The international schools I know of have Farang teachers in addition to Thai teachers and they don't ask for bribes.

I have met women in my home country who got a degree on their backs, OK stuff happens. They certainly could not bribe everyone as they did have a large amount of female and older professors.

I likeThai. Right, that's it. refering to me as a taxi driver???? Were you really an English teacher? going by your grammar and spelling I don't think so. Bye Bye.

My first teaching job was teaching soldiers how to shoot at night. Later I became involved in education administration in Thailand. I wrote course content, tests and standards. Mainly trade school technical stuff.

You took the course had a certain number of hours in practical training and then took a test. If you flunked you flunked.

No one ever offered me a bribe. If it was a big amount of money I might have taken it. But we will never know because no one ever offered. biggrin.png

I taught at a trade school in the USA also. No one ever offered me a bribe there either.

never met anyone with a fake degree, you have to be joking, I have only been here a few years and have met several that openly tell you. My wife knows a lot that paid for degrees as well, we get phone calls from teachers asking us for money and you want us to believe that teachers are not corrupt or take payments etc, pull the other one. I love living here but I am also realistic and do not deny all the bullsh*t that happens here(or in my home country), I have witnessed it myself, it seems that you want people to believe in fairy tales and your outright slanted bias, then to top it off you try to threaten someone that queries you, sorry mate but the one with the problem seems to be you. You really need to be realistic and open your eyes and take off the rose coloured glasses. A lot of us love it here but we are not blinded by it and can see the good and the bad, you seem to prefer censorship on anything even slightly negative.

I have a friend who is an Aussie and teaches Thai naval officers. He never fakes anything. I taught Thai military and I never faked anything. Every term my Thai boss asked for my grades. He was insistent on me testing and giving grades. My wife has been out of school for 15 years and she never faked anything or paid for anything nor did any of her classmates. I don't know where you live or what kind of schools you associate with. The international schools I know of have Farang teachers in addition to Thai teachers and they don't ask for bribes.

I have met women in my home country who got a degree on their backs, OK stuff happens. They certainly could not bribe everyone as they did have a large amount of female and older professors.

Perhaps you should get out more and see how the non hi-so's have to get on in life................rolleyes.gif

Perhaps you should get out more and see how the non hi-so's have to get on in life................rolleyes.gif

If you didn't know the Thai military is not a hi so job......wai2.gif

Yes...as mentioned above by someone...foreigners have messed up Thailand.

Lord have mercy.

You know, in a quantum physical way and the Observer Effect, this is quite interesting. IF foreigners had never visited/settled here, what would it have turned into? Stayed entirely feudal? Or would they have had to disseminate themselves into waves or particles?

Yes...as mentioned above by someone...foreigners have messed up Thailand.

Lord have mercy.

You know, in a quantum physical way and the Observer Effect, this is quite interesting. IF foreigners had never visited/settled here, what would it have turned into? Stayed entirely feudal? Or would they have had to disseminate themselves into waves or particles?

Phibunsongkhram began to increase the pace of modernisation in Thailand. Phibulsonggram supported fascism and nationalism. "Aimed to uplift the national spirit and moral code of the nation and instilling progressive tendencies and a newness into Thai life", a series of Cultural Mandates were issued by the government. These mandates encouraged that all Thais were to salute the flag in public places, know the new national anthem, and use the Thai language, not regional dialects. People were encouraged to adopt Western, as opposed to traditional, attire. Similarly, people were encouraged to eat with a fork and spoon, rather than with their hands as was customary. Phibunsongkhram saw these policies as necessary, in the interest of progressivism, to change Thailand in the minds of foreigners from an undeveloped and barbaric country into a civilized and modernized one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plaek_Phibunsongkhram

Then why are zillions of folk trying to get in. Poor folks idea of hi-so is a government job. Salary, pension, mum and dad taken care of if hospitalised.

People are paying daft money for degrees to work in Tesco's. Open your eyes to the real burden ordinary Thai folk face just to get bye.

No social security here, just hi-so's ripping the poor off to get somewhere.

• Like 1

Don't own property. Don't own a house. Not married. No children for whom I am legally responsible. Don't own a business. Not employed. Don't go to a shared work space and say I'm not working. Don't live in a tourist area. Don't much hang out with persons who speak or speak only English. Don't own a car. Don't frequent bars at 2 AM. ...

Or to quote from a Country Western song , sorry I can't remember which. "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to loose" it really seems as though you fall into that category.

Kris Kristofferson 'Me and Bobby McGee -- but, from Irving Berlin:

Got no mansion, got no yacht
Still I'm happy with what I've got
I got the sun in the morning and the moon at night

Thailand has changed a lot according to several people I know, in the last 20 years, it seems to have lost its innocence.

Back in 1975 - almost 40 years ago - Charles Sobhraj, the famous serial murderer, was bribing police left and right to continue business as usual - robbing and killing tourists. There was corruption at every level and foreigners could buy permanent residence for a paltry sum. Thai hitmen were considered the best in the world. Most of the world's heroin came from the Golden Triangle. The whole country was covered with cheap brothels and most of the very young girls were not there of their own free will. I don't think that Thailand has been "innocent" for a very long time. If anything, Thailand has gotten safer and less corrupt over the last 20 years.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

Then why are zillions of folk trying to get in. Poor folks idea of hi-so is a government job. Salary, pension, mum and dad taken care of if hospitalised.

People are paying daft money for degrees to work in Tesco's. Open your eyes to the real burden ordinary Thai folk face just to get bye.

You have to bribe someone to get a teachers degree? cheesy.gif

You have to bribe someone to get drafted into the army? cheesy.gif

You have to bribe someone to get a job working for Ford with all the benefits? cheesy.gif

30 baht health care isn't great but it does cover all Thai people.

Go to Tesco talk to the lady baking the rolls and the lady chopping the pork and ask them what their degree is in?

In other words...you barely exist at all...what a great way to live...

In other words...you barely exist at all...what a great way to live...

Thank you -- it took years of effort.

You have to bribe someone to get a job working for Ford with all the benefits? cheesy.gif

Go to Tesco talk to the lady baking the rolls and the lady chopping the pork and ask them what their degree is in?

It seems you know nothing about LOS......................rolleyes.gif You carry on.............coffee1.gif

It seems you know nothing about LOS......................rolleyes.gif You carry on.............coffee1.gif

Thailand has 197 colleges. . Of these, 76 are public (excluding universities for the religious training of monks). These 76 institutes can be categorized as 16 well established public universities, 2 open universities, 41 rajabhat universities, 9 universities of technology, 8 antonomous universities, 58 university extension campuses, 32 private universities, and 31 private colleges that offer bachelor programs.

A number of higher education institutes have recently increased opportunity for various types of students to study at the higher level. In 2007, the Education Council estimated that the number of new students enrolled in bachelors programs between 2007 and 2016 will be approximately 500,000 each year,

Problem is Thailand only needs 145,348 bachelor graduates each year.

Oooops.

http://blog.nationmultimedia.com/print.php?id=2435

I hope I don't need to tell you that 95% of the tourist traffic comes here for one reason. The other problems are secondary and not many foreigners give a hoot about solving them.

In 2011, 1.7 million Chinese visitors traveled to Thailand and this figure was expected to rise to 2 million in 2012.

The Thai-Chinese Tourism Alliance Association declared in February 2013 that Chinese tourists are the main supplier of Thailand's tourism industry and 3.3 million Chinese tourists are expected in 2013. The Association has also calculated that the average Chinese tourist remains in the country for one week and spends THB 30,000 (US$1,000) to THB 40,000 (US$1,300) per person, per trip.[11] According to Thailand’s Tourism Authority, the number of Chinese tourists rose by 93 percent in the first quarter of 2013.

According to the Tourism Authority of Thailand,[8] 55% of the tourists in 2007 came from the Asia Pacific region, Japanese and Malaysians forming the two biggest groups.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand

• Like 1

In response to someone suggesting that poorer folks just can't afford the woman, the truth is, everyone wants money but in reality, we all go with people whom we are comfortable with. Most Thai women inevitably wind up with Thai men; some have affairs with foreigners, but children with their own men. In reality, money is no substitute for ability to communicate, having things in common, etc. Sure, the excitement of foreign men dumping money on you is great, but it lasts for only a short while; women are plentiful in Thailand and like America, most women go with men who have some occupation. So don't think because you are a foreigner with money that you are home free. I have noticed no hostility from Thai men, they seem to be taken care of; but back to consumption societies...the idea that the government can just boost wages and give everyone their socialistic due is nonsense. If you go to Vietnam you will notice in the countryside that there are some big homes along the roadside--there is room for entrepreneurial spirit. And the THais have the same independent streak.

The idea that more for everyone is possible, at this time is total garbage. The only thing the government will do is raise the minimum wage. This sounds great until everyone notices, too late of course, that the price for everything will go up in tandem you will be back where you started from. It is an illusion.

Rather than argue in the streets, proposals for workable programs might include plans for revamping education systems; plans for streamlining the electoral process--which I feel could easily be done by creating a website for the electoral process, and using ID numbers plus another form of positive ID and then allowing online voting, monitored by international

electoral committees, and ensuring an immediate result. If they can't elect leaders quickly the government will destroy itself; it could also be possible to invite foreign countries to consult on crop development and resource management.

It is clear that the one stumbling block in Thailand is the educational process. THis is not just a process of sending one's kids to school, it is a process that involves children and their parents in creating an atmosphere of intellectual growth. There seem to be a lot of cultural issues involving intellectual growth as well.

I feel there is a spiritual shift, so to speak, in the society as it embraces materialism rather than an inner Buddhist posture. This shift creates greed, anger and civil strife and disrespects the sangha. This is the most dangerous movement or tendency--it is unseen, leaves no footprints, yet makes all the difference in the society, since it creates a karma which intensifies passions instead of dispassion. No society can exist for long without a core belief system which is embraced by its people. This should be maintained above all else.

Regarding the farmer's plight, I think rather than invest in price supports, which is a dismal failure, a think tank should be assembled which looks at the possibilities for land use in Issaan; potentially building community resorts for travelers; potentially creating other valuable crops; potentially partnership with other countries wishing to build food supplies; potentially creating value added rice based businesses for export...

Edited by Wan123
  • Like 1

Thailand has 197 colleges. . Of these, 76 are public (excluding universities for the religious training of monks). These 76 institutes can be categorized as 16 well established public universities, 2 open universities, 41 rajabhat universities, 9 universities of technology, 8 antonomous universities, 58 university extension campuses, 32 private universities, and 31 private colleges that offer bachelor programs.

A number of higher education institutes have recently increased opportunity for various types of students to study at the higher level. In 2007, the Education Council estimated that the number of new students enrolled in bachelors programs between 2007 and 2016 will be approximately 500,000 each year,

Oooops.

Well, with the actual knowledge level provided for these so called "Bachelor Degrees" students, I guess its okay to send out 500.000 students every year.

Then around 350.000 can go work at 7-eleven (which fits their actual skill level) and the remaining 150,000, who are really needed and truly skilled can then do more complex work.

I had an employee once with a Bachelor Degree in Business. She look at me like I had fallen down from the moon, when I asked her to do a "Cost Budget" for me. Totally blank stare and open mouth, having no clue what I was taking about. Later had to fire her, because no matter what I asked her to do, she simply did not have the brain power required to do it. She told me that her grades from university, were better than her husbands. I never met her husband, but I always imagined him being this vegetable in a wheel chair.

I am still to this day wondering about how she and the husband ever passed their exams... How they even managed to sign up for school is also a mystery.

Edited by khunpa
  • Like 1

I agree, greed and corruption has played it's part in the downfall to the country,

but you have to add the lawlessness as the major culprit.

Without the rule of law, anything goes.

How can you have rule of law with corrupt and ineffective police to enforce it?

Oooops.

Well, with the actual knowledge level provided for these so called "Bachelor Degrees" students, I guess its okay to send out 500.000 students every year.

Then around 350.000 can go work at 7-eleven (which fits their actual skill level) and the remaining 150,000, who are really needed and truly skilled can then do more complex work.

I had an employee once with a Bachelor Degree in Business. She look at me like I had fallen down from the moon, when I asked her to do a "Cost Budget" for me. Totally blank stare and open mouth, having no clue what I was taking about. Later had to fire her, because no matter what I asked her to do, she simply did not have the brain power required to do it. She told me that her grades from university, were better than her husbands. I never met her husband, but I always imagined him being this vegetable in a wheel chair.

I am still to this day wondering about how she and the husband ever passed their exams... How they even managed to sign up for school is also a mystery.

I agree. I have no idea what a MBA is for or a degree in marketing or business administration or advertising or playground management or folk dancing. Mathematics, chemistry, engineering, medicine, pharmacy or plumbing or architecture. They had to farm out the airport and high speed train because of a lack of basic engineering skills. Thais aren't dumb. But many lack the desire to get dirty hands in the pursuit of knowledge. It's not just Thais. I have had some negative reactions when I mentioned to one of my children that 4 years and $100,000 seems like a lot of money to be a hostess at Sizzler!

Pattaya used to be what you say now it is crawling with poor white tourists that buy food and drink at 7/11. I think the Thais feel sorry for the poor drunk white folk who swim in such bad water and can only afford to eat and drink at convenience stores.

Pretty silly for such poor foreigners to think that convenience stores are a cheap way to eat. For myself, I find them completely unaffordable.

I just don't see a future for my kids if they had gone through the Thai system even if they had had international school.

Too much nepotism and corruption. Sad really

The true international schools (maybe a dozen?) have nothing at all to do with any "Thai system" other than a few window-dressing MoE requirements.

And there is no reason for your kids to have much contact at all with Thai society at the level you're complaining about unless you choose to structure your/their lives that way.

But since such a lifestyle is far more expensive here than it would be back home, I certainly agree that parents of young children should head back home to raise them there.

I agree, greed and corruption has played it's part in the downfall to the country,

but you have to add the lawlessness as the major culprit.

Without the rule of law, anything goes.

How can you have rule of law with corrupt and ineffective police to enforce it?

There is Chicago and it does pretty well.

Burma, Malaysia, Singapore I would think would benefit more from Thai negative publicity in the tourism and industrial sector and any Thai anti government groups.

Sadly, true. Though my wife and I love Thailand, we're going elsewhere in SE Asia as tourists this year.