TAT adjusts next year’s tourism strategy to handle an expected listless market

webfact

TAT adjusts next year’s tourism strategy to handle an expected listless market

BANGKOK 25 March 2014 (NNT) — The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is expediting its plans to adjust next year’s tourism strategy after noting signs of stagnation in the Chinese-India-Japan market.

The TAT Governor Thawatchai Arunyik revealed that overall, the tourism industry in Thailand is anticipating a downward trend next year due to economic changes in each of the foreign country’s domestic market, such as, Japan raising it’s value added tax rate, from the original 5% to 8%.

Mr. Thawatchai pointed out that the TAT needed to forecast and analyze what factors contributed to or affected tourism in Thailand; it could then use the data accurately, to create an effective strategy for the year 2015.

In regard to preparations for next year’s strategy, the TAT has decided to focus on a niche market of Chinese tourists by presenting and promoting healthy activity tourism — mainly golfing activities within the Kingdom. As for other target markets, it will promote new travel destinations, new shopping centers, and road maps connecting tourism sites.

Mr. Tawatchai also added that the TAT will focus on the European and American markets next year in order to bring back travelers from those regions.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-03-25 footer_n.gif

"the tourism industry in Thailand is anticipating a downward trend next year due to economic changes in each of the foreign country’s domestic market"

Ahhhhhh......that's the reason less tourists are coming to Thailand.

And I was always wondering, Why?

TAT needs to pull a mighty big rabbit out of a hat.

Tourism in Thailand is now on a downward spiral, hastened by the protests, SOE and the grenade attacks that happen daily by the government terrorists.

It is also the start of an 'organic' slide as Thailand has pretty much had its day in the limelight of tourist destinations, while tourists are constantly finding better venues opening up worldwide. Just like Spanish resorts were rampant at one time and are literally a ghost towns now.

It will now be a steady decline year after year I predict.

TAT does not help by bringing stupid campaigns such as 'honeyteers' (Honeymoon couples clearing up litter and sweeping roads). It also does not help when the PTP government are constantly looking for ways to leech extra cash out of the tourists with inflated visa on arrival costs, and exit fees.

This government are wrecking Thailand by the day.

But then again, I support less tourists.

• Like 2

Since when did TAT branch into non fiction? most disappointed, TAT headlines are usually better for a laugh than this!

Could well be during this time of uncertainty most of their spokespersons are on free be hols at top 5 star hotels/spa's/ round world trips/ eyeing up future customers to arrive in 2019.

All the lesser staff will be on free internal flights visiting their offices in other regions of Thailand before their big April new year bash. Off loading some of their 5 Billion annual budget...........this department needs Gutting.

• Like 1

Now that Russians are moving outwards and just chomping at the bit to go into foreign countries,, there's an opportunity for Thailand. It can launch a new tourist campaign aimed at the Russian market. they can call it "Come invade Thailand". wink.png

They already have---it's a CRIME-awink.png

• Like 1

I have been in ''Bangkok'' for the last couple of days, and i must say, there is definetly less ''Farang'' Tourists walking about, first time i can honestly say i have noticed this...

Maybe a sign of the times.... who knows...

Thailand does need tourists, but it has to learn that it needs to clean up its act, in more ways than one...

Not that i am an expert, but its just what i see with my everyday living...

Now that Russians are moving outwards and just chomping at the bit to go into foreign countries,, there's an opportunity for Thailand. It can launch a new tourist campaign aimed at the Russian market. they can call it "Come invade Thailand". wink.png

Haven't they already got advance bases in Pattaya and Phuket?

• Like 1

Not hard to work out. Whistling anti-democracy morons on the streets - gunmen in balaclavas in Bangkok - tourist numbers go down. Easy enough to fix too, if the will was there. If they were serious about bringing in tourists they would give visa-on-arrival to Chinese and Indians too.

Not hard to work out. Whistling anti-democracy morons on the streets - gunmen in balaclavas in Bangkok - tourist numbers go down. Easy enough to fix too, if the will was there. If they were serious about bringing in tourists they would give visa-on-arrival to Chinese and Indians too.

You always do forget to add the lawless government are not helping. soon to be brought to heel, after we hope to get tourists back IF TAT spend some of the money to PAY the police to clean up the scams and rackets that are cancerous everywhere.

Not forgetting to allocate money to clean the beaches and seas, ask Pattaya City council to spend monies allocated for this purpose -to really spend it on the seafront not see it disappear as most government money does.

As long as they don't commit Crimea I see no problem.

• Like 1

As long as they don't commit Crimea I see no problem.

No crime 'ere,sir this is a Buddhists country,perfectly legal scrape a cop along the rd,why not mow down a bus queue or shoot up your opponents,reality suspended,ignominous r us, lie with impunity, crime it's hard to think of anywhere near

Sire there are parts of US and Colombia as violent

Major hubs like Niue with similar road deaths

NATO trying in Afghanihash to match drug smuggling

Australia and Germany's brothels

Fake goods of China and Cambodia

Government corruption of Spain and Greece

The scams of London and Napoli

but for all rolled into one you can't beat LOS

Now with added jetscam and world balcony leaping HUB

• Like 2

The tourists numbers are definitely decreasing of late.....no doubt.

It may be longer lasting than thought as the risk for them in becoming more unacceptable...and with governments continuing to issue travel warnings...it may be slow for some time yet.

To try and get people to visit here with golf in mind, it should be understood that China has some amazing golf courses.....fully catered for tourists....hotels, 72 hole parks....cheap and great support services....

Thai golf courses, while pretty good, are very expensive.....

The TAT has some serious work to do and I'm not sure if they are up to it......better just promote the sex industry....they're good at that!!

Well that's stating the obvious. Everyone knows that the main reasons tourists from anywhere come to Thailand is for sex! What else does Thailand have, that it's neighbors don't? Let me see...shopping in Malaysia and Singapore is equally good as Thailand and many people there speak Chinese, unlike in Thailand so that's good for Chinese tourists. Vietnam, Myanmar and Laos have a lot more natural beauty than Thailand has. Bangkok is an ugly city full of concrete, traffic and chaos...Saigon, though notable for it's chaotic mix of scooters, bicycles and the odd car or two, is much more elegant and greener than Bangkok. Also, you don't have to sit at a traffic light for 45 mins during rush hour. When you rent a jetski in Vietnam, you pay only 300,000 dong or about $15 for 15 mins, you don't need to give any deposit and they don't try to scam you for damage that you didn't cause! And I could go on and on...

Edited by Tomtomtom69
  • Like 2

To try and get people to visit here with golf in mind, it should be understood that China has some amazing golf courses.....fully catered for tourists....hotels, 72 hole parks....cheap and great support services....

Thai golf courses, while pretty good, are very expensive.....

Have you been to China recently! the cost of golf there has gone through the roof ! Try playing anywhere in Guangzhou for less than THB 4000. In Xiamen there are 3 courses, THB 6000 - 8000 at weekends.