Vespa or Hypermotard in Bangkok

ebwhitaker

I am going to be moving to Bangkok soon and was thinking about getting either a new Vespa or a Ducati hypermotard. For anyone that owns/rides a bike regularly in Bkk, what's your opinion of traffic, parking, safety, and theft?

Would appreciate your views. Thanks!

Very odd choice either a Vespa or a Hypermotard. I used to own a Vespa 300 GTS Supersport and sold it when I bought a Ducati Monster. The Vespa is great around town with it being auto and 300cc. The storage space was handy. It only drinks 95 octane petrol but you have the same issue with the Ducati. If you can afford it buy both. If I had to choose I would question how much city riding or long trips I was doing. If you do get a Vespa you''ll never have any problem selling it as Thais are crazy about them, not cheap though at 325,000 THB.

• Like 1

Very odd choice either a Vespa or a Hypermotard. I used to own a Vespa 300 GTS Supersport and sold it when I bought a Ducati Monster. The Vespa is great around town with it being auto and 300cc. The storage space was handy. It only drinks 95 octane petrol but you have the same issue with the Ducati. If you can afford it buy both. If I had to choose I would question how much city riding or long trips I was doing. If you do get a Vespa you''ll never have any problem selling it as Thais are crazy about them, not cheap though at 325,000 THB.

Good advice. If you intend to ride solo and get out of town now and then 100% Monster. If it's your primary form of transport and you want to take passengers take the Vespa. The Monster is a great bike and the amount of mods you can do are almost endless. But get the 796 not the 795. The 795 is in no way comparable to the 796. The Thai version is called the Ducati Monster Corse. It nips in and out of traffic like a banshee and will stop on a dime. ABS recommended.

• Like 1

I have a Hyperstrada which is great for getting out of the city, and good up to moderate traffic. Once traffic gets really heavy, the wide handle bars become a liability for lane splitting, and I get passed by scooters shooting through gaps too narrow for the Duc to get through. In true stop-and-go traffic the heavy clutch gets old quickly and engine heat starts to roast my legs. The spin-on oil filter hanging directly under the engine is also a liability when hopping curbs. For these reasons I reach for a lighter bike when traffic is heavy.

• Like 1

Is motorcycle theft common in bkk?? Is it easy to find parking along Sukhumvit?

If parking is a concern the guards will always look after a bike like a Monster for you. Just drop them 20-40 Baht and They'll guard it with their life together with your lid and gloves. They'll usually try to find a special place for you to park. Away from the plebs who like to sit on it and masturbate while you're working or shopping.

My heart says Ducati, my mind says Vespa. I just bought a Scoopy I as a daily transport for in the city.

I've always wondered how the Ducati can handle rush hour traffic.... The scooter laughs at rush hour traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

My heart says Ducati, my mind says Vespa. I just bought a Scoopy I as a daily transport for in the city.

I've always wondered how the Ducati can handle rush hour traffic.... The scooter laughs at rush hour traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

hypermotard handles well if you change the stock handlebar with a narrower one.

and i hope you like boiled eggsbiggrin.png