Open hood

It is absolutely necessary, that is why every car manufacturer, without exception, prints a recommendation in the vehicle handbook/manual that it is done otherwise damage will occur to the vehicle due to heat and the warranty may be invalidated.

It is nothing to do with the fact that some people think they are impressing their neighbours with their misguided, superior technical knowledge of motor vehicles or that they are so macho that their car has to be cooled down more than other vehicles because of the way the car is consistently thrashed.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is absolutely necessary, that is why every car manufacturer, without exception, prints a recommendation in the vehicle handbook/manual that it is done otherwise damage will occur to the vehicle due to heat and the warranty may be invalidated.

It is nothing to do with the fact that some people think they are impressing their neighbours with their misguided, superior technical knowledge of motor vehicles or that they are so macho that their car has to be cooled down more than other vehicles because of the way the car is consistently thrashed.

Battery is not covered by warranty.......rolleyes.gif .....................coffee1.gif

that is why every car manufacturer, without exception, prints a recommendation in the vehicle handbook/manual that it is done otherwise damage will occur to the vehicle due to heat and the warranty may be invalidated.

Never heard of this before.

And I doubt anybody else has either.

• Like 2

Extreme low or high temperatures are not good for batteries. In very cold environment people often uses some sort of insulation or electric heating, but there is also a Thermo barrier available for hot zones:

0_13200.jpg

What I've experienced is, that in extreme hot climate the battery often dies without any warning at all, usually within 3-5 years.

One day it pulls the starter through like always, next day starter is not moving at all.

In very cold country's like Sweden they even connect the car to an electric outlet to keep the engine and battery warm. Or it won't start at all.

Yes the green plastic bottle hanging on the car i also see a lot in BKK. Don't like it though, one day the thing will fly off and i drive a motorbike.

Battery in the trunk needs long thick copper cables and they are expensive. Also when those cables are damaged and make connection with the chassis you get a huge spark and probably a fire and will see the battery melt down. (i had that one day, no fun)

Edited by namdocmai

Battery is not covered by warranty.......rolleyes.gif .....................coffee1.gif

Very observant of you. I didn't say it was.

that is why every car manufacturer, without exception, prints a recommendation in the vehicle handbook/manual that it is done otherwise damage will occur to the vehicle due to heat and the warranty may be invalidated.

Never heard of this before.

And I doubt anybody else has either.

I doubt that you've ever heard of sarcasm before either. Can't believe there were some who didn't recognise my post as a statement so ridiculous it couldn't be true. Did any of you actually look in your handbooks to check...bet you did.

If you had quoted the whole of my first paragraph instead of omitting the first few words you may have got the gist of it.

Now go and put your bonnets down.

Mr.Angreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..............laugh.png .............................go have beer or something..................coffee1.gif

If someone puts a wooden penis in front of their house (to stop their husband being stolen by ghosts), most other houses will follow suit. Same goes for hanging a red shirt (nothing to do with politics) on the front gate. Same goes for someone buys a new car, and now everyone else does.

This is just the Thai way smile.png

Even if you don't believe it yourself, sometimes you do it anyway just so the first guy that did it doesn't lose face, or if they are correct, so you don't become the sole target left tongue.png

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

Extreme low or high temperatures are not good for batteries. In very cold environment people often uses some sort of insulation or electric heating, but there is also a Thermo barrier available for hot zones:

0_13200.jpg

What I've experienced is, that in extreme hot climate the battery often dies without any warning at all, usually within 3-5 years.

One day it pulls the starter through like always, next day starter is not moving at all.

In very cold country's like Sweden they even connect the car to an electric outlet to keep the engine and battery warm. Or it won't start at all.

Yes the green plastic bottle hanging on the car i also see a lot in BKK. Don't like it though, one day the thing will fly off and i drive a motorbike.

Battery in the trunk needs long thick copper cables and they are expensive. Also when those cables are damaged and make connection with the chassis you get a huge spark and probably a fire and will see the battery melt down. (i had that one day, no fun)

They do this in very cold parts of Canada too - there are powerpoints on supermarket parking spaces to plug into.

But, these are block heaters to prevent a cracked block in sub-zero C temperatures (when women are shopping) - I suppose there is collateral warming to the battery?

After reading a bit on the internet, and there is quite a lot, about Lead/Acid Batteries and high temperatures I didn’t find an actual ‘bad news’ temperature but gleamed that ‘the more heat a battery is exposed to the shorter its lifecycle’. Temperatures of 60C were mentioned in some hot climates.

So I thought that I would measure the temperature inside the ‘hood’ and adjacent to the battery of my V-Cross, just out of interest.

So after arriving home I opened the ‘hood’ and attached the Tc to a point near the battery and then closed the ‘hood’ with the readout unit outside. The temperature leveled out at about 55C. The car was parked in the shade and the air temperature was 34C. After opening the ‘hood’ the temperature fell about 5C. Closing the ‘hood’ again and the temperature went back to about 55C.

Of course I only measured at one position, but it was very near the battery. Also idling the engine made basically no difference to the closed ‘hood’ temperature … that surprised me a little.

I will check the temperature whilst driving, I’ll tape the readout unit to the wiper blades… need to be careful not to confuse which is the indicator stick!!!

Judging by the heat that overpowers you when raising the ‘hood’ I’m not in any doubt that the whole lot cools quicker that way.

Yes but while driving the heat is unavoidable anyway so what's the real benefit to opening a hood for a few minutes to cool it down once parked, versus driving for a long period of time and the time & trouble necessary to open one's hood and then close it again later, nonsensical waste of time for virtually nil benefit IMO. I think you'll find with a quality battery instead you'll get more life, less hassle and for those without quality batteries they'll gain little if anything in the end out of going through all of the hassle..

Yes but while driving the heat is unavoidable anyway so what's the real benefit to opening a hood for a few minutes to cool it down once parked, versus driving for a long period of time and the time & trouble necessary to open one's hood and then close it again later, nonsensical waste of time for virtually nil benefit IMO. I think you'll find with a quality battery instead you'll get more life, less hassle and for those without quality batteries they'll gain little if anything in the end out of going through all of the hassle..

Whilst a ride is in motion the incoming air through the grill etc is blasting the heat out of the engine bay, in traffic the engine fan is doing the job. Soon as you stop, turn off the motor, cooling stops. Then the heat builds up under hood before it cools down.

Heres a test for you, touch the exhaust manifold w00t.gif, Now where is that heat going to go, nowhere, stays under hood until it cools, same as anything else thats hot. Open the hood after a run and feel the heat knock you back.

But, up to you, as they say, I will do my thing regardless of what others think, and show my trendy hydraulic hood lifters. biggrin.png ......... thumbsup.gif

That thing on the Jeeps Hood has stopped Grandfather getting his Wave up the Curb.Give it back NOW. T.A. will reply perhaps Today,if he wakes up.smile.png

I hate to bring my Pontiac wub.png into the discussion but this is true. I know that under the hood was a bit radical but on a couple of occasions, after shut down, the carb and intake were so hot that fuel in the fuel bowls was forced up the air bleeds causing not good thoughts, as it just dumped it into the engine. So lifting the hood on that thing was mandatory. Eventually I fitted an extra fan (Mercedes electric), to turn on after shut down to help clear the heat. 2 inch tubed hedders was the main problem heat wise. whistling.gif

That thing on the Jeeps Hood has stopped Grandfather getting his Wave up the Curb.Give it back NOW. T.A. will reply perhaps Today,if he wakes up.smile.png

I hate to bring my Pontiac wub.png into the discussion but this is true. I know that under the hood was a bit radical but on a couple of occasions, after shut down, the carb and intake were so hot that fuel in the fuel bowls was forced up the air bleeds causing not good thoughts, as it just dumped it into the engine. So lifting the hood on that thing was mandatory. Eventually I fitted an extra fan (Mercedes electric), to turn on after shut down to help clear the heat. 2 inch tubed hedders was the main problem heat wise. whistling.gif

My 67 Firebird 400 engine used to run so hot, sitting in the front seats was like being in an oven. Didn't help that I never took my foot off the accelerator tho...That car had nice hook scoops and a cool hood tach to boot. Looked just like this one:

muscle%2Bcar%2Brestoration.jpg

My 67 Firebird 400 engine used to run so hot, sitting in the front seats was like being in an oven. Didn't help that I never took my foot off the accelerator tho...That car had nice hook scoops and a cool hood tach to boot. Looked just like this one:

muscle%2Bcar%2Brestoration.jpg

Fabulous wub.png

Whilst a ride is in motion the incoming air through the grill etc is blasting the heat out of the engine bay, in traffic the engine fan is doing the job. Soon as you stop, turn off the motor, cooling stops. Then the heat builds up under hood before it cools down.

Heres a test for you, touch the exhaust manifold w00t.gif, Now where is that heat going to go, nowhere, stays under hood until it cools, same as anything else thats hot. Open the hood after a run and feel the heat knock you back.

But, up to you, as they say, I will do my thing regardless of what others think, and show my trendy hydraulic hood lifters. biggrin.png ......... thumbsup.gif

I see I made the mistake in my previous post of thinking that when I said "driving" I meant also sitting going no where in traffic as commonly is the case for many in Thailand unless you live in the sticks..

None of that is new info for me, in fact in my stock based street cars which have headers and no insulation as a rule I was first to run header wrap to reduce the heat to gain performance especially in my FWD VW and Acura as they both had their own set of problems with hot headers. The VW had the headers in the back by the fire wall literally interlaced with the intake manifold so heated up the intake something fierce starving HP and causing potential percolating issues of the fuel when shut off hot. The Acura was so close to the radiator and clutch slave that it would boil the clutch fluid and over heat the radiator so I know a little bit about heat transfer & dissipation not to mention the additional 25 years I've worked on gas and resistance element swimming pool heaters. You obviously don't live in anything resembling a city because none of what you suggest is practical if you did.. Still little benefit or gain in opening your hood for those few minutes whilst still driving around (or sitting) in traffic all day.

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 1

Had a 67 Camaro. 350, M21.

Found out about the 'Use a magnet to find Bondo' trick with that car !!

Yeah, that's a good one. There was always a big rivalry between me and the Camaro guys, pals had SS396 Camaros, and 302 short block Z28. To me, the ultimate Camaro was the 69 Z28 302 short bloc. Amazingly fast car. and one of the coolest of the era.

My 67 Firebird 400

Ram Air IV ???

Could be the first Ram Air setup in 1967, RA 2 came 1968. RA 4 1969 ( I think).....smile.png

Yes, it was. Though, almost no difference between 67 and 68, just slight cosmetic side lamps.

The engines were all different in some way regarding the Ram Air series.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's a good one. There was always a big rivalry between me and the Camaro guys, pals had SS396 Camaros, and 302 short block Z28. To me, the ultimate Camaro was the 69 Z28 302 short bloc. Amazingly fast car. and one of the coolest of the era.

Guy up the street had a '68 Z28. Nice.

My next was a 69 Chevelle - just like the song ...

- with a 396, fuelie heads and a Hurst on the floor

No 7-11 store tho' !!