Suthep insists no election until reform starts

webfact

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this woman deaf?

I know she is dumb, but she should be able to understand what is good for her country.

Step down, Yingluck.

Step down so that the country can ben manipulated by "good people" for who knows how long without a firm date for elections? Who is going to be able to remove these 'good people' if they choose not to hold elections "when the time is right"? Be careful what you wish for Costas, my old potato

12-14 month was the time frame.....If they wouldn't hold election they would get ousted like the Shinawatras. But if you have any better idea to reform Thailand, please tell. The Shinawatras are as far from being "good people" as you can find in Thailand and surely won't make any reforms to cut themself off the feeding trough.

I don't particularly care for the woman, I'd much prefer is she was replaced by the electorate, and not through a judicial or Military Coup.

There have been other suggestions, hold a referendum and let the people, not the minority but the majority decide if they'll accept the reforms first, Suthep is as stubborn as they come, as to whether he's right or not that's down to time, as to whether he'll be revered as a National Hero ( I highly doubt the Issan people would ever look upon him as such) that's again open to debate, but the truth is, many of his initial followers are sick of it all now, they've not progressed, sure they've had some forums, but stop pushing forwards ideals that are unacceptable to the majority, the PDRC movement has also dwindled, same as the support for the PTP/UDD so put it to the vote, it really doesn't get any simpler.

Let the elections run, stop acting like a spoilt child, give the current administration, IF they win, the same 12-14 months in which the reforms you so desire have to happen, or they're out on their ass.. yes, we all know they didn't do a great job, in fact it was abysmal, but they have no choice now, let the public determine who should run the country, who ever it is has 12 months to get their act together.. simple, and if they fail, then the Military step in, and have 6 months control, so that the future ruling party can have everything in place..

if Yingluck makes a referendum than you have again the 500 Baht to vote no.

As Democracy isn't really existing, I don't see it as a problem if a non elected government comes to power by some undemocratic means and stays just for 1-2 years.

I remember the Surayud government acted way more democratic and transparent than any elected government before.

When you let this government make reforms: They already had good ideas how to reduce the check and balances, than it will get only worse. Giving them 12-14 month to prepare themself isn't a good idea.

One more coup and one more unelected government won't change the book of Thailands history much.....

Then you can see that there's never going to be a viable solution is there, vote buying has been in Thailand since well before Thaksin came to power, it has nothing to do with vote buying, it's simple demographics, if the North contains 60% of the electorate and the South 40% and the North hate the South and vice versa, under democratic principles the North will always win the majority of seats.

Every Country that has a dictatorship, it's always run by a very small Minority, Iraq was a prime example, run with ruthlessness by the Sunni Ba'ath party, an they oppressed the Kurds in the North, and the Shia in the South, right up till 2003, and then payback has been a bitch!! Now the Sunni have nothing whilst the North and the South are prospering through Industrialism, and Oil and Gas.. it's still as corrupt as it ever was, but it's now a semi democracy, and there has been times where the results have been pretty close.

This is what Thailand faces, The Majority being the PTP/UDD in this case, and the Minority wanting to change everything but doings so through back channels and not through the normal procedure of actually winning the election and then changing it all.

Yet again he is threatening intimidation, insurrection etc. He is a very dangerous man continually getting away it with thanks to his overlords..

Reform sure, but after elections which are now essential to stabilise the country.

Each party can campaign including a stone cold promise to include reform within a certain period as part of their manifesto. Both of the main parties have had the chance in the past neither has taken it. Yes of course it's only words but it is now very important and whoever wins the election would ignore it at their peril.

What else they put in their manifestos it is up to them and then sell it to the people, let them choose.

Free unhindered elections and may the best team win.

That won't change anything.

You put an awful lot of thought in to that response didn't you?

1507621.GIF

Is this woman deaf?

I know she is dumb, but she should be able to understand what is good for her country.

Step down, Yingluck.

Step down so that the country can ben manipulated by "good people" for who knows how long without a firm date for elections? Who is going to be able to remove these 'good people' if they choose not to hold elections "when the time is right"? Be careful what you wish for Costas, my old potato

12-14 month was the time frame.....If they wouldn't hold election they would get ousted like the Shinawatras. But if you have any better idea to reform Thailand, please tell. The Shinawatras are as far from being "good people" as you can find in Thailand and surely won't make any reforms to cut themself off the feeding trough.

If they don't hold an election then what is stopping them from using the army to stay in power?

Sent from my IS11T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The army....they wouldn't follow them. The same as they don't follow Yingluck to stay in power.

They protect country, religion and the king....not the government.

Also after the last coup the army happily gave back power.

Then you can see that there's never going to be a viable solution is there, vote buying has been in Thailand since well before Thaksin came to power, it has nothing to do with vote buying, it's simple demographics, if the North contains 60% of the electorate and the South 40% and the North hate the South and vice versa, under democratic principles the North will always win the majority of seats.

Every Country that has a dictatorship, it's always run by a very small Minority, Iraq was a prime example, run with ruthlessness by the Sunni Ba'ath party, an they oppressed the Kurds in the North, and the Shia in the South, right up till 2003, and then payback has been a bitch!! Now the Sunni have nothing whilst the North and the South are prospering through Industrialism, and Oil and Gas.. it's still as corrupt as it ever was, but it's now a semi democracy, and there has been times where the results have been pretty close.

This is what Thailand faces, The Majority being the PTP/UDD in this case, and the Minority wanting to change everything but doings so through back channels and not through the normal procedure of actually winning the election and then changing it all.

And how do you know what the North votes for if they are not paid? And I don't see that the South hates the North or the the North hates the south....As well the PTP has a lot southern people and the Democrats a lot northern people.

Shia, Sunni and Kurds are different ethnic and religion. You could compare that with the majority Thais and the minority of Malay Muslims in the south, but there is no such difference between the north and the south, even less between the north and Bangkok.

Is this woman deaf?

Step down, Yingluck.

I she knows very well what is good for the country (not her country) !

As all people with there eyes open know that the best for the country is sure not Suthep his idea of an non-elected group appointed by Adolf Suthep himself .

What is good for the country is Suthep stops his protests and democratic elections will be held, that's the only way to work this out.

And how do you know what the North votes for if they are not paid? And I don't see that the South hates the North or the the North hates the south....As well the PTP has a lot southern people and the Democrats a lot northern people.

Shia, Sunni and Kurds are different ethnic and religion. You could compare that with the majority Thais and the minority of Malay Muslims in the south, but there is no such difference between the north and the south, even less between the north and Bangkok.

So, why the yellows are afraid of elections in case your right ?

I was just using North and South as examples, more to highlight demographically the greater the population the greater the chance of winning.

You do realise that this vote buying is really not an issue, it was only 300 baht in the village where I live, it's not a show stopper if they didn't receive it, why not put it to the test, you're never ever going to know whether there's money changed hands unless they openly say so, vote buying as it was pointed out to me earlier isn't just about cash exchanging hands, it also comes in promises " I'll put free wifi in every village" is vote buying, "I'll reduce taxes by 1%" is vote buying, " I'll give all your babies candies (to steal them all back later)" is vote buying.

Every promise a canvasser makes is a form of vote buying is it not?

Is this woman deaf?

Step down, Yingluck.

If they don't hold an election then what is stopping them from using the army to stay in power?

The army....they wouldn't follow them. The same as they don't follow Yingluck to stay in power.

They protect country, religion and the king....not the government.

Also after the last coup the army happily gave back power.

The top brass of the army launched a coup in 2006 to help their yellow pals, and have shown no signs of changing their spots since then. They are quite blatantly in cahoots with the PDRC. Why else do soldiers protect the PDRC, but not the voters who the "peaceful protesters" attack?

And when the army gave back power after the coup, they never expected that a pro Thaksin party would win. Knowing what they do now, do you really expect them to hand back power?

"Mr Suthep also said that the PDRC planned what could be the biggest ever demonstration of the people on March 29 to show Ms Yingluck that the majority of the people do not want election unless reform takes place first."

If the majority of Thai people wanted to be ruled by a group pushing a yellow agenda, then wouldn't the simplest thing be to push for an election as soon as possible?

The fact that the "Democrats" are boycotting elections and that Suthep is trying to shut them down suggests to me that even they themselves know the majority of Thai people aren't on board with their plans to install dictatorship.

Yes, well said! This nails it. If the majority wants the Dems in power then they will vote for them in an election, no demonstration needed. The only reason they would not want to hold an election is if they did not want the same as the majority of Thais.

If he wants reforms before elections, then they need to postpone the election and he needs to work on reforms in cooperation with the PTP caretaker government in power until both sides are satisfied. I say: No election = No change in leadership. That's democracy, idiots. Stop using it as your party's name if you don't know what it means.

• Like 1

Is this woman deaf?

Step down, Yingluck.

You're another one who likes to throw around words like constitution, well under the constitution she can't step down, she has to be remain in position until after the new PM has been appointed THROUGH Elections.

Why would she step down because others want her to, it's like asking you to quit your TVF account and stop posting here wink.png

She broke already numerous other parts in the constitution. If you can't hold an election within the required time frame, she must step back. You can't be caretaker PM without election forever just because the constitution doesn't allow you to step back.

The election is run by the Electoral Commission not the government, and the caretaker government isn't in charge, all major decisions have to be approved by the Electoral Commission first. So if anyone is clinging to power, its the EC, and if anyone failed to deliver elections its the EC.

• Like 2

Is this woman deaf?

Step down, Yingluck.

If you think all that is required to be done to rid Thailand of corruption, which is based on the culturally deeply ingrained Thai value system, can be achieved in 12 to 14 months you are as deluded as those who suggested it. 30 to 50 years or even longer would be a more realistic estimate. You will have to write off the current generation of entrants in to employment, police, military, politics (at all levels), judiciary, teaching, business, bureaucrats, etc and start with their children.

In the meantime, the present generation of leaders can make a start on this long road by respecting the democratic process.

• Like 1

"Mr Suthep also said that the PDRC planned what could be the biggest ever demonstration of the people on March 29 to show Ms Yingluck that the majority of the people do not want election unless reform takes place first."

If the majority of Thai people wanted to be ruled by a group pushing a yellow agenda, then wouldn't the simplest thing be to push for an election as soon as possible?

The fact that the "Democrats" are boycotting elections and that Suthep is trying to shut them down suggests to me that even they themselves know the majority of Thai people aren't on board with their plans to install dictatorship.

<deleted>! Now have I got your attention; not yellow not red or any other bloody agenda colour, reform, read it again reform, is what he and the people want. Either wake up or close up.

<deleted>! Now have I got your attention; not yellow not red or any other bloody agenda colour, reform, read it again reform, is what he and the people want. Either wake up or close up.

Reform #1, an election commission that runs an election

Reform #2, a Senate that is elected and answers to the democracy.

In other words, any reforms you do have to be passed by the electorate, you can't hold a poll of only 1300 people, carefully chosen by NIDA and then say "the majority want (unspecified) reforms before a poll, here's a poll that proves they want reform before the poll." It's nonsensical.

You'd be trying to sustitute the NIDA poll for the election! And 1300 people can't deny the other 70 million people their right to have a say.

Edited by BlueNoseCodger
  • Like 1

Suthep is right in that a new election would simply cement things as they are, with Thaksin's grip firmly in place, unchanged, undeterred, and with reform being quickly discarded, as before. Everybody knows that. Thaksin knows that too, which is why he wants it. With a new election, nothing changes. Except that in power, Thaksin would be then free to pursue all the things he pursued in the last two and a half years - changes in the charter that benefit him, including an amnesty, as well as an opportunity to really clamp down on the independent agencies, which Pheu Thai have consistently wanted to do. So not only would a new election enable Thaksin's grip to remain exactly the same, but in fact it would be a whole lot worse, because Pheu Thai, Thaksin, and the UDD would set their sights on focusing their attention on the " reform " - as they see it - of the system of the legal checks and balances.

The efforts to cool this crisis have so far not worked. The idea of a televised debate between Yingluck and Suthep is a very positive step, and would likely be positively received nationally. Pheu Thai will reject it. Abhisit's " middle road " solution - a referendum that gives the green light to reform discussions before an election - is the clear solution, that ought to be embraced by all. It remains the key proposition that actually brings the two sides together and would also defuse the crisis peacefully as well as set a path forward. Yet Thaksin will certainly reject it. Because it threatens him. He is not interested in reform. He never was.

So the ensuing stalemate continues. But the courts are proceeding, as they should. The NACC will likely deliver a ruling next month. The law will ultimately be the vehicle for the path forward. As it should.

Have you ever considered that that former government and the most likely new government if elections are ever held, this same government you claim (and perhaps correctly) is controlled behind the scenes by Thaksin is in fact the government that the majority of the Thai people want? That's called democracy, you know. And no it doesn't produce the best government all the time, and yes it is open to corruption. But it is the will of the people.

Let the Thai people vote!

• Like 1

As one of Thailand's most notoriously corrupt politicians I guess he knows a thing or two about it.

If this is true, than he will have a clue how to end corruption. It is not important what he did (or is blamed for) in the past.

What he does now is what counts.

BTW I think PTP, Yingluck and their cronies know at least much more

You better check things out. if suthep gets his way Thailand will go back to 1991 and a total ditatorship with him as dictator.

• Like 1

How long is this kind of reform/eradication going to take..In your opinion... ?by my guess it would take decades..and it would a great deal of the time be like taking cats to the beach dragging and screaming on all sides... so hard to let go of the tea-pot so hard to give the manilla envelopes and favors back... so when then would the reforms be done so the election could take place...? It is an absolutely absurd concept... hold the election,,, create referendums for reform and implement them as steadily as possible... ,,, I don't believe for a minute that any of the current crop of politicians wants to change their MO...it has served them well... so who is going to implement them...? ...it is not going to happen over night..or in a few short months.. it is just ridiculous to buy into that. And whomever the new "watchdogs" are... how will we be sure they are not taking manilla envelopes as well..I mean really it is a monstrous problem in a very concentric flight pattern.. elections...when..? 2020 2030... the word reform here is a political buzz word... no more no less.. shouting it does not invoke it ( unfortunately)

EDIT: not you shouting it Suthep and PDRC shouting it

Edited by DirtFarmer

! Now have I got your attention; not yellow not red or any other bloody agenda colour, reform, read it again reform, is what he and the people want. Either wake up or close up.

Your post does not answer my point that Suthep obviously does not represent the majority of "the people".

And do you seriously believe that what he is pushing is some kind of "middle way" between red and yellow????

Is this woman deaf?

Step down, Yingluck.

I don't particularly care for the woman, I'd much prefer is she was replaced by the electorate, and not through a judicial or Military Coup.

There have been other suggestions, hold a referendum and let the people, not the minority but the majority decide if they'll accept the reforms first, Suthep is as stubborn as they come, as to whether he's right or not that's down to time, as to whether he'll be revered as a National Hero ( I highly doubt the Issan people would ever look upon him as such) that's again open to debate, but the truth is, many of his initial followers are sick of it all now, they've not progressed, sure they've had some forums, but stop pushing forwards ideals that are unacceptable to the majority, the PDRC movement has also dwindled, same as the support for the PTP/UDD so put it to the vote, it really doesn't get any simpler.

Let the elections run, stop acting like a spoilt child, give the current administration, IF they win, the same 12-14 months in which the reforms you so desire have to happen, or they're out on their ass.. yes, we all know they didn't do a great job, in fact it was abysmal, but they have no choice now, let the public determine who should run the country, who ever it is has 12 months to get their act together.. simple, and if they fail, then the Military step in, and have 6 months control, so that the future ruling party can have everything in place..

if Yingluck makes a referendum than you have again the 500 Baht to vote no.

As Democracy isn't really existing, I don't see it as a problem if a non elected government comes to power by some undemocratic means and stays just for 1-2 years.

I remember the Surayud government acted way more democratic and transparent than any elected government before.

When you let this government make reforms: They already had good ideas how to reduce the check and balances, than it will get only worse. Giving them 12-14 month to prepare themself isn't a good idea.

One more coup and one more unelected government won't change the book of Thailands history much.....

If democracy no longer exists in Thailand it is because a government ,which was accepted both nationally and internationally as having been freely elected, is in the process of being removed by a minority street protest movement, in alliance with institutions nominally independent but controlled by an establishment which is itself viscerally opposed to that government. An election, as required by the constitution, and called by Royal Decree, was prevented by that same minority protest movement. Its antics were regarded benignly by the courts controlled by the establishment. So yes, you are right to say that democracy does not exist (at present) in Thailand.

Would one more coup and one more unelected government make no difference? I think it would. If the present government is removed, and the electorate is denied the chance to reappoint it, or select an alternative, then I think this time it will provoke a furious reaction. The electorate are now far more aware, and this time would not accept it. Interestingly enough the Army's uncharacteristic reluctance to take part in removing the government points to the fact that they have come to the same conclusion.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by JAG
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

As one of Thailand's most notoriously corrupt politicians I guess he knows a thing or two about it.

Where is any evidence, beside empty blabla from PTP (or their previous parties) for his corruption?

On the land reform, it is already clear that there is no trace of corruption.

I doubt that any politician in Thailand is free of corruption, so I am sure there is something with Suthep, but nothing was ever found so far and by now Thaksins layer surely check everything. That almost daily they go to court with some new charges about murder in 2010, but can't find a single case of corruption to bring to court says a lot.

Maybe if Suthep appeared in court to answer to murder charges we might find out more about the man's honesty.

Where is any evidence, beside empty blabla from PTP (or their previous parties) for his corruption?

On the land reform, it is already clear that there is no trace of corruption.

I doubt that any politician in Thailand is free of corruption, so I am sure there is something with Suthep, but nothing was ever found so far and by now Thaksins layer surely check everything. That almost daily they go to court with some new charges about murder in 2010, but can't find a single case of corruption to bring to court says a lot.

Maybe if Suthep appeared in court to answer to murder charges we might find out more about the man's honesty.

Maybe if Thaksin came back to hear all those cases awaiting his return ? Before the statute of limitations has them expire?

Anyway, the topic is not law cases, but reforms before elections.

Edited by rubl

Deja vu. Last time a 'neutral' prime minister was appointed, the constitution was changed to appointees, community stations were shut down, nation wide program to convert the Taksin supporters and freedom of expression curtailed. Same group of the establishment this time asking for neutral PM. We can expect the same i.e. eradication and subjugation of the oppositions.

• Like 2