THAI blames Emergency Decree for passenger decrease in Feb

webfact

BANGKOK, 27 March 2014 (NNT) - National carrier Thai Airways International (THAI) has reported a continued decrease in its passenger and cargo loads in February due to the government’s invocation of the Emergency Decree. The number of Chinese passengers traveling with the airline dropped the most.

THAI’s board meeting on Wednesday on acknowledged the carrier’s operating performance in February 2014. The meeting was told that the Thai tourism had continued to be sluggish following a decrease in Asian tourists, especially those from China, and effects of the Emergency Decree.

THAI’s revenue passenger-kilometer in February was lower than the same period last year by 14% and the available seat-kilometer 1.3%, resulting in the lower cabin factor of 70%.

In addition, THAI’s cabin factor on regional routes decreased from 79.2% last year to 64.1% this year, international routes from 81.1% to 73.9% and domestic routes from 83.3% to 79%.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-03-27 footer_n.gif

Come on! Anyone who is not stupid would know that tourism and business travel would suffer huge losses when a country enacts an emergency decree. Travel insurance is cancelled. Government issued warnings if travelling there and even in some cases preventing their citizens to travel there.

The TAT has been changing their estimates from bad to good but everyone who has a brain and sees their numbers could see it not accurate. I mean really. The TAT thinks they can increase tourism by offering newlyweds to come here and work free during their honeymoon. A bunch of idiots working there.

At least these figures might be a little more accurate coming from the airlines.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by thesetat2013
  • Like 2

Passenger numbers should rise now since Tarit assured that replacing the SOE with the ISA would improve the country's image and improve tourism and he knows what he's talking about.

After all continuing protests, violence and chucking grenades around is a real tourist come on.

• Like 1

Thais think foreigners are fools and don't have a clue about the high risk in Thailand. Grenades, shootings, violent fighting breakouts, shutdowns of Bangkok, the southern region with over 6,000 killed with almost daily bombs, mysterious hotels deaths, and balcony jumpings, stories of fertilizer bombings that just drop off the front page. Forigners are fools and don't know a thing about Thailand, so the Thais believe.

Thais think foreigners are fools and don't have a clue about the high risk in Thailand. Grenades, shootings, violent fighting breakouts, shutdowns of Bangkok, the southern region with over 6,000 killed with almost daily bombs, mysterious hotels deaths, and balcony jumpings, stories of fertilizer bombings that just drop off the front page. Forigners are fools and don't know a thing about Thailand, so the Thais believe.

This is Thai v Thai they are not interested in farangs.

This post is kind of off topic.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just booked Jet Airways BKK-BOM return on biz class Baht 19,200.-

TG biz class - Baht 34,085 for same period.

And they wonder why fewer passengers .

They should maybe drop their prices.

Thai's business mentality is that if profits drop by 25%, then raise your prices by 30% to make up for he lost income. No thought, whatsoever, is given as to why the profits dropped 25%; just reaction. Miracle Thailand.

• Like 2

Just booked Jet Airways BKK-BOM return on biz class Baht 19,200.-

TG biz class - Baht 34,085 for same period.

And they wonder why fewer passengers .

The sad thing is, yes, they probably are genuinely baffled.

Maybe their energies would be better spent blaming the people that made it necessary for an Emergency Decree to be enacted in the first place?

Of course, one could be cynical and see this statement as a way for the Thai Airways management to curry favour with their employees union

A joint statement of the labour unions of Thai Airways International, State Railway of Thailand, Bank of Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives and the Civil Aviation Institute which was issued on Wednesday said that four unions agreed unanimously to join the shutdown in order to bring about national reform and eradication of the corruption scourge. http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/four-labour-unions-vow-join-bangkok-shutdown/

Maybe their energies would be better spent blaming the people that made it necessary for an Emergency Decree to be enacted in the first place?

Of course, one could be cynical and see this statement as a way for the Thai Airways management to curry favour with their employees union

A joint statement of the labour unions of Thai Airways International, State Railway of Thailand, Bank of Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives and the Civil Aviation Institute which was issued on Wednesday said that four unions agreed unanimously to join the shutdown in order to bring about national reform and eradication of the corruption scourge. http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/four-labour-unions-vow-join-bangkok-shutdown/

OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH please this trend has been going on for yonks. High prices, poor service and many old non updated aircraft, snob attitude cabin staff.

Thai airways International TAI------better change that to TAT, as they can always get bigger and better figures, and future predictions WOW.

Fab 4, again like a true government spokesperson blame POPYE/BLUTO/

Come on! Anyone who is not stupid would know that tourism and business travel would suffer huge losses when a country enacts an emergency decree. Travel insurance is cancelled. Government issued warnings if travelling there and even in some cases preventing their citizens to travel there.

The TAT has been changing their estimates from bad to good but everyone who has a brain and sees their numbers could see it not accurate. I mean really. The TAT thinks they can increase tourism by offering newlyweds to come here and work free during their honeymoon. A bunch of idiots working there.

At least these figures might be a little more accurate coming from the airlines.

As always, this airline fails to address the issue of price competitiveness on both domestic and international routes. Other airlines flying the same routes are offering a better service at lower prices. If they can do it, so can Thai. The SOE would still have affected passenger numbers, but not by as much. One point of note is the down turn in air freight. Maybe Thai are not competitive here either.

and I blame thai airways for supporting militant gangs running on the streets of bangkok.

they closed down their offices in bkk to allow employees to shut down bkk on 13th of january. Their trade union marched from the offices to the protest sites and participated in shutting streets. They allowed their employees to wear nationalist paraphenalia at the offices, airport and onboard. They gave away equipment and other resources for the protest sites.

they have shot themselves in the foot with a smile

Edited by londonthai
  • Like 2

and I blame thai airways for supporting militant gangs running on the streets of bangkok.

they closed down their offices in bkk to allow employees to shut down bkk on 13th of january. Their trade union marched from the offices to the protest sites and participated in shutting streets. They allowed their employees to wear nationalist paraphenalia at the offices, airport and onboard. They gave away equipment and other resources for the protest sites.

they have shot themselves in the foot with a smile

The Thai air did not shut down that day to show support for the demonstrations against the Gov. The closed down because almost all their employees got seriously sick and planned not to be at work. This does not reflect the airlines opinion. Only the thai workers opinion.

• Like 1

So it has nothing to do with overpricing and poor service then? Ostriches, the lot of them.

And dirty environment... Lets take scuba diving, only a few places are OK, all others dirty and/or dead and fished empty. So naturally a diver would book Malaysia or Indonesia.

Now that aren't the big amounts of people but a few here a few there and there won't be an increase....Than an Emergency Decree on top of it and you have a reduction.

I recall the elections...the police checked the bars in Soi Nana to ensure that no bar is selling alcohol to tourists crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif instead of checking on all the scam....

Nothing to do with an emergency degree - my Mom canceled her visit earlier this year - she always flies Thai to Thailand because they have a non-stop flight. But she did not cancel because of any emergency degree - most tourists are not even aware that there was an emergency degree.

She canceled because of protestors "shut down" of Bangkok - fearing another "shut down" of the airport - no other reason - whatever stupid excuse Thai comes up with.

If I am a tourist and see the demonstrations - shutting down parts of Bangkok - and the much publicized boycott and obstruction of the elections including violence and firefights live on TV in the middle of Bangkok - I would not come either!

After the takeover of the airport last time the people who got left behind in Thailand will not take a chance again!

The Thai air did not shut down that day to show support for the demonstrations against the Gov. The closed down because almost all their employees got seriously sick and planned not to be at work. This does not reflect the airlines opinion. Only the thai workers opinion.

no, they announced beforehand, around 1 week in advance of shut down, that they are closing their offices. That on account a close proximity to the protest sites, however, their decision was politically motivated.

no, they announced beforehand, around 1 week in advance of shut down, that they are closing their offices. That on account a close proximity to the protest sites, however, their decision was politically motivated.
If the Reds had been the ones protesting would you still ne saying the reason was politically motivated? Or would their reasoning be due only to their proximity. Come in man really. Stop and look at things from all sides.

Nothing to do with an emergency degree - my Mom canceled her visit earlier this year - she always flies Thai to Thailand because they have a non-stop flight. But she did not cancel because of any emergency degree - most tourists are not even aware that there was an emergency degree.

She canceled because of protestors "shut down" of Bangkok - fearing another "shut down" of the airport - no other reason - whatever stupid excuse Thai comes up with.

If I am a tourist and see the demonstrations - shutting down parts of Bangkok - and the much publicized boycott and obstruction of the elections including violence and firefights live on TV in the middle of Bangkok - I would not come either!

After the takeover of the airport last time the people who got left behind in Thailand will not take a chance again!

My parents canceled because of fear of firefight / violence.

Up to the political opinion you could blame the government or the protesters for it....

But additional my mother mentioned that the quality in Chumphon isn't the same as before. Would it be perfect there she might still come.

Friends come less than they could because of bad experience with dirt in Koh Samui....

I got stuck in Thailand. I was over the moon. Did not have to go to work and had more time with the missus.

If people do a little investigating they know the score in BKK. How many farangs hurt in Shutdown Bangkok?

Zero.

Getting back to the issue. Thai Airways are overpriced.