Best way into city after midnight

Rowdster

We're arriving into Swampy at midnight after a 19 hour flight. Should we get a hotel near the airport or taxi into the city. We're staying near the Sapham Taksin bts station. Thanks for your help

Sent from my XOOM 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I would take a taxi straight there, the traffic is not too bad after midnight and will probably take you around 30mins.

-------------------------------

But don't be surprised tif hey try to charge you over 1000 baht for a taxi at that time.

There are some hotels near swampy ... 2 or 3 star hotels ...... that will offfer a pickup service.

Book a room through one of tha hoitel booking services just for one night before you leave for your return date..... or your arrival date if that's the case.

Then contact that hotel requesting a airport pickup for your arrival date.

I've used that successfully for a 2 a.m. arrival flight from the U.S.

At least you get an qirport pickup and a room/breakfast before you check out at 11 a.m. the next day from that hotel.

Not luxury ..... but a place to spend the night for your first night in Thailand with a breakfast in the morning.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

I would take a taxi straight there, the traffic is not too bad after midnight and will probably take you around 30mins.

-------------------------------

But don't be surprised tif hey try to charge you over 1000 baht for a taxi at that time.

There are some hotels near swampy ... 2 or 3 star hotels ...... that will offfer a pickup service.

Book a room through one of tha hoitel booking services just for one night before you leave for your return date..... or your arrival date if that's the case.

Then contact that hotel requesting a airport pickup for your arrival date.

I've used that successfully for a 2 a.m. arrival flight from the U.S.

At least you get an qirport pickup and a room/breakfast before you check out at 11 a.m. the next day from that hotel.

Not luxury ..... but a place to spend the night for your first night in Thailand with a breakfast in the morning.

Pay no attention to this nonsensical Thai basher. If the taxi does try to negotiate a rate, just politely refuse, the chances are the next one will have no problem using his meter.

• Like 1

100% get a taxi straight to your hotel in the city. Traffic is lighter at night and if you're staying at a 'proper hotel' the front desk will be open 24/7.

Taxis have to use the meter by law or they're in trouble, if he doesn't use it tell him to stop, then get out and walk back to the taxi stand and report him get another taxi.

Note - it won't get to this stage. This happened to me once over dozens of arrivals and when you tell them to stop and let you out they say 'ok, I will use the meter'.

• Like 1

We're arriving into Swampy at midnight after a 19 hour flight. Should we get a hotel near the airport or taxi into the city. We're staying near the Sapham Taksin bts station. Thanks for your help

Taxi. Meter. They may see you as "fresh meat" if you're carrying bags. But you have the advantage of Thai Visa advice so decline up front fares and get a meter taxi. I speak from experience. When I arrived in Bangkok I was charged 250 baht for a tuk tuk ride which would've been 110 baht in a taxi. And a taxi driver tried to "negotiate" a 500 baht fare! As some people have pointed out taxi drivers will be only too happy to use the meter. It's just the ones that see farang = baht you have to watch out for ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

They sometimes ask you if you want to go via the expressway, and then ask for the toll fees on top. Not a great deal, about 75THB I think.

Yep. I think it's usually because they don't want to sit in traffic. I got charged an extra 50 baht for toll. But this was during the day. After midnight is one of the few times that Bangkok roads are quiet.

Any idea how much the meter fare would be?

To Saphan Thaksin I would think the meter will be around 300-400THB plus toll fees of around 60-80baht. Not sure on the exact figures as I live in Sukhumvit.

Another option if you can't be bothered to argue or negotiate with taxi meters are the AOT limos (the desks are by the luggage carousels or just after customs), they charge 1100 THB into town for a Toyota Camry with tolls included, a little more money than a taxi but a little more comfortable and bypasses any issues of arguing about using meters etc.

To Saphan Thaksin I would think the meter will be around 300-400THB plus toll fees of around 60-80baht. Not sure on the exact figures as I live in Sukhumvit.

Another option if you can't be bothered to argue or negotiate with taxi meters are the AOT limos (the desks are by the luggage carousels or just after customs), they charge 1100 THB into town for a Toyota Camry with tolls included, a little more money than a taxi but a little more comfortable and bypasses any issues of arguing about using meters etc.

Yes on this, if you're somewhere where the taxi drivers know you have little choice but to go with them then they may and try and charge you accordingly. If no one is willing to go on meter but you can get a price under 1,000 baht then go with that. Otherwise go with the limo. I know when I arrived in Bangkok I just wanted to get to my destination safely and with little hassle and if that meant paying more than I should I felt the compromise was worth it. Also I'm not sure if where you're coming from is served by the MRT which is an underground subway? I know I got an MRT from the airport. Don't know if anyone can confirm this?

At that time of night, the meter fare should be somewhere around 200-250 baht - there's also a 50 baht airport surcharge plus it will cost you 75 baht for tolls if you take the toll road (these will not show up on the meter). Total price should be 300-350 baht. (Edit: that's an estimate to lower Sukhumvit area...might be slightly more on the meter to where you are going. Still really cost effective.)

Edited by Diplomatico

Yes on this, if you're somewhere where the taxi drivers know you have little choice but to go with them then they may and try and charge you accordingly. If no one is willing to go on meter but you can get a price under 1,000 baht then go with that. Otherwise go with the limo. I know when I arrived in Bangkok I just wanted to get to my destination safely and with little hassle and if that meant paying more than I should I felt the compromise was worth it. Also I'm not sure if where you're coming from is served by the MRT which is an underground subway? I know I got an MRT from the airport. Don't know if anyone can confirm this?

Sorry but I'll have to politely disagree with you on the "take anything under 1,000 baht" comment....that's terrible advice, IMO.

I've NEVER had a problem getting a metered taxi at the airport - you tell the person at the small desk where you're going and emphasize you want it metered then you tell the driver "meter" before you leave and if doesn't agree you get out and get a different taxi.

• Like 1

Surprised nobody has told the OP to head up to the Departures level and jag a cab going back to the City :rollseyes:

If you're going to use an AOT car, you might as well get the hotel to pick you up.

I wouldn't take the Airport Link after a 19hr flight, would be the last thing on my mind.

Head down to the Taxi stand on the "ground" floor, tell the attendant where you're going i.e the name of the hotel, they'll hand you a piece of paper and hand your cabby the other piece, make sure old mate flicks on the meter and robert's your fathers brother.

Failing that and if you're one of those tech savvy hipsters you can try using the "Uber" app... You can enter in your trip details and it will give you an estimated cost and I think there's currently a promo offering 200-300 baht of airport runs...