Thai Lion Air Checked Bags

Konini

I've searched here and Google and can't find an answer to my (I think fairly basic) question. I've half booked a flight (still to pay so nothing lost if I have to start again) so got right to the end without seeing an option. Space isn't a problem but weight might be; 15kg free checked luggage and 7kg carry-on will be relatively close, but probably won't be enough.

Husband is going to Bangkok a couple of days earlier than me for a boys weekend taking only hand luggage, after which we're flying on to UK so there's more weight than usual and I'm the one taking the checked baggage to CNX to BKK. We always go to UK fairly empty handed as we have basic clothes etc at mam's house and come back with lots of goodies for the pantry, so I have 3 suitcases; one with clothes in it which is inside a bigger one which in turn is inside an even bigger one, so only one bag to check but I'm fairly certain the total will be over 15kg. The 3 bags alone would be close to 10kg. I can't find any option or advice anywhere to book and pay extra if it is.

Pay extra at check-in? Seems that would give them a bottle-neck at the airport. Restricted to maximum 15kg? Seems they might be limiting themselves somewhat, although many with luggage over 15kg would likely travel with others so could spread the load.

Has anyone come across this one yet and have an answer?

(Please, no smarty-pants comments about packing lighter, I'll be in the unusual position of travelling alone, having 3 bags packed into one, and going away for 5 weeks with some prezzies for family as well as things for ourselves).

Just take one suitcase. Pack your goodies in boxes with a bit of string around for the return trip. They don't have to be in a suitcase. I presume your hubby is travelling back with you so that's 30Kg's in total. I suppose it depends on theweight of all those Fray Bentos pies you bring back.

Den

Edited by denby45

just checked for you and lion air has a clearly laid out baggage policy with weights etc. website. Google lion air baggage fees 2014.

But unhelpfully they say that excess is charged per kilo but dont say how much-maybe as it differs between domestic/international and long haul? Suggest you ask them direct. Looks as though you are restricted to 15kg to BKK and 20kg after -so at least get your man to take 5 kg with him to avoid you (him???!) paying excess on your bags from cnx to bkk. Hope this helps.

just checked for you and lion air has a clearly laid out baggage policy with weights etc. website. Google lion air baggage fees 2014.

But unhelpfully they say that excess is charged per kilo but dont say how much-maybe as it differs between domestic/international and long haul? Suggest you ask them direct. Looks as though you are restricted to 15kg to BKK and 20kg after -so at least get your man to take 5 kg with him to avoid you (him???!) paying excess on your bags from cnx to bkk. Hope this helps.

In other words she will have to pay at the check in window. I think that is SOP with Air Asia also.

In other words she will have to pay at the check in window. I think that is SOP with Air Asia also.

No - 'in other words' if she gets this right she wont have to pay at all.

Presumably she has some bathroom scales to step on with and without luggage to ensure she stays in limit.

SOP in our household, plus portable hand scales for return journeys with goodies

Complimentary smarty-pants comment: You should have negotiated better with your husband. If he gets a boys weekend in Bangkok then it seems likely he'll readily agree to some minor conditions, such as carrying is own @p. wink.png

So.. AND a boys weekend, AND using you as a packing mule.. If you ever find yourself single again then please let me know, I'd like to propose please. wub.png

This is true, but I'm trying to be good. Other boys he's travelling with won't have checked bags, I was trying to save them all a bit of waiting (beer) time. Looks like this may be the way out though.

I might take you up on your proposal, we've just moved and I have 3 bathrooms of grout to scrub, toilets to scour, windows to de-calcify (sorry, no balcony, just a thin ledge to balance on, although I'm sure it will be quite safe and I'll have ambulance on speed dial) as well as a few other lovely jobs I'm sure I can find you. giggle.gif

• Like 2

Just take one suitcase. Pack your goodies in boxes with a bit of string around for the return trip. They don't have to be in a suitcase. I presume your hubby is travelling back with you so that's 30Kg's in total. I suppose it depends on theweight of all those Fray Bentos pies you bring back.

Den

Would be too much for boxes, I have thought about it. No good really as we have 40kg each plus 20kg hand luggage again (bags checked all the way through BKK-CNX on Bangkok Air so nobody at BKK questions the extra weight even though it's economy), and I'll fill every last gram of that 160kg.

Hand luggage is reserved for cheese, air conditioning in airport and onboard are OK for the journey and most of it gets frozen when back. Not just price, different kinds. I can get Red Leicester here, I've seen Double Gloucester on rare occasions but no Wenslydale or Lancashire seems to make it out of UK, and I always look. Don't even remember seeing those in all the years we lived in Australia, which is a shame as they are my 2 favourites.

I've been totally over Thai food for a few years now and cook every night. Most things I can get here, but some I can't and others are so expensive, if I've got the extra room in luggage allowance after getting what is unavailable I'll use the most expensive of those imports to fill up. Last year I brought 4 bottles of Ariel laundry liquid for nice sparkly white clothes, 14 Fray Bentos individual steak and kidney puddings as well as a handful of the large pies and a load of corned beef (couldn't find Fray Bentos anywhere for some reason), bags and bags of dried marrowfat peas and yellow split peas for mushy peas and peas pudding, Haywards Piccalilli, Branston, Atora suet, a box of Cadbury's Cream Eggs, a couple of kilo's of white chocolate and other things which I can't get here that catch my eye whilst shopping. If up on weight, I've always bought packs paper towels to stuff the cases with the rolls so things don't rattle about (added to their being a good filler, it really is impossible to get good quality paper towels here that are good at absorbing liquid). Got a coffee machine now, so I'll add a few 1kg bags of Lavazza beans to my list, but no teabags as I prefer Dilmah which I didn't see in England.

Heads up for Aussie Dilmah lovers, I used to get them from Australia or Malaysia but they're now available and not too expensive in Macro, actually cheaper than Aus. Regular strength only, no strong or extra strong, but it beats anything else here, imported or not.

I timed it fairly well, with almost 5 weeks left until we go; we're down to the last tinned pie and after tonight I'll have 4 steak and kidney puds and enough mushy peas for 2 more meals, the Atora, piccalilli and Branston are down to the dregs and will be almost gone by the time we go, and pretty much everything else used up. (The eggs and white chocolate didn't anywhere near as long as they ought to have).

I'll think of you when we tuck in tonight to steak and kidney pud, chips and mushy peas. Promise.

• Like 1

Thank you Beau Thai - I wasn't being lazy, I really did look for the info but couldn't find it. I think he's going to have to take the 2 bags that will be empty, maybe with a bit of something in the inner one. They'll just have to wait for the bags to come off, although it shouldn't be long. A couple of weeks ago we flew Air Asia to DMK, and by the time we got into the baggage claim our case was already on the carousel.

I don't mind paying at the airport if it's the only way, but it seems odd that they wouldn't have a check box for more weight. Doing it this way would discourage passengers from doing something AirAsia is obviously making money from. Air Asia only charge if you're over what you thought you would take at booking time, I always err on the side of caution rather than pay the extortionate rates at the airport.

Presumably she has some bathroom scales to step on with and without luggage to ensure she stays in limit.

SOP in our household, plus portable hand scales for return journeys with goodies

Always check, and have the handheld ones for the other end, the problem is the amount of things being taken can't be trimmed as we are going for 5 weeks. Wouldn't be an issue if we were travelling together, now he's just going to have to take the larger bags with him and wait. No problem really, I would rather just pay for an extra 10kg so he doesn't have to worry about it. And not too much judgement impairing, forgetful making grog can be consumed between CNX and DMK airports. Can there?

facepalm.gif

Oh dear. ​ Wait for a post in the news section reporting a hung-over man with sheepish look and oddly skinless ears begging for loose change on Sukhumvit.

At which time, I'll be ready for you my very own Handum Buffalo crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

Edited by Konini

No - 'in other words' if she gets this right she wont have to pay at all.

No if she is over weight she will have to pay at the check in window if her bag is over weight. She can stand it on a scale at home for hours on end and if it is 5 kilos over weight it won't cost her a thing but when she puts it ion the scale at the airport it will have to be paid there.

I cant believe all the stuff you are bringing back - picalilli etc!! Maybe you could make that here-not sure? But must be such fun unpacking when you get back - 14 tins of steak and kidney-wow!

But I would forget the few kilos of lavazza beans. Get peaberry beans from Hilkoff off the mountains here. 100% arabica, deep, rich and no bitterness. Much better than lavazza to my taste. And surprised you cant get good quality white chocolate here at a sensible price. You must have tried Rimping who are usually great for stuff like that.

Good luck with all your packing etc!

Edited by beau thai

I cant believe all the stuff you are bringing back - picalilli etc!! Maybe you could make that here-not sure? But must be such fun unpacking when you get back - 14 tins of steak and kidney-wow!

But I would forget the few kilos of lavazza beans. Get peaberry beans from Hilkoff off the mountains here. 100% arabica, deep, rich and no bitterness. Much better than lavazza to my taste. And surprised you cant get good quality white chocolate here at a sensible price. You must have tried Rimping who are usually great for stuff like that.

Making piccalilli is something I tried once and will never attempt again. It's only vegetables, mustard and vinegar. Nan must have written the recipe down wrong and mam can't remember how she used to make it. I can get piccalilli at Rimping, but it's Cross and Blackwell and far too sweet. You can also get the steak and kidney pies there (if you choose to sell your firstborn) but the individual puddings are not available at any price. I've tried loads of different kinds of coffee, but not the one you mention. Where do you get it? The ones from Macro who's name I can't remember are quite good, but not good enough. UK made Milky Bar remains the best white chocolate you can get I'm something of a connoisseur when it comes to the white stuff), Australian made chocolate tastes different and it's not available here without berries or chocolate bits (a waste of good chocolate). Besides, the 1kg blocks are very good value which (of course) means I have to buy loads (mostly hidden amongst clothes in a case - he doesn't eat it, but would freak out if he knew how much I did). Lindt and a Japanese brand which I forget the name of has made do since I ran out, but not the same taste and horribly expensive.

If we didn't have such a big baggage allowance, I'd stick to the basics like good quality laundry liquid, cheese and a couple of puddings, but we have it so I use it. To be fair, most of the things I'm bringing back aren't available here at all. Husband always complains, but keeps quiet when he's tucking into pie chips and mushy peas.

I'll give the coffee you're talking about a go if you point me in the right direction, and if it's good I might leave out the Lavazza and have room for more white -er- other things. licklips.gif.pagespeed.ce.v-hsVd-Wpu.gif

EDIT: My spelling (lack of proof reading) has been off all day for some reason.

Edited by Konini

Making piccalilli is something I tried once and will never attempt again. It's only vegetables, mustard and vinegar. Nan must have written the recipe down wrong and mam can't remember how she used to make it. I can get piccalilli at Rimping, but it's Cross and Blackwell and far too sweet. You can also get the steak and kidney pies there (if you choose to sell your firstborn) but the individual puddings are not available at any price. I've tried loads of different kinds of coffee, but not the one you mention. Where do you get it? The ones from Macro who's name I can't remember are quite good, but not good enough. UK made Milky Bar remains the best white chocolate you can get I'm something of a connoisseur when it comes to the white stuff), Australian made chocolate tastes different and it's not available here without berries or chocolate bits (a waste of good chocolate). Besides, the 1kg blocks are very good value which (of course) means I have to buy loads (mostly hidden amongst clothes in a case - he doesn't eat it, but would freak out if he knew how much I did). Lindt and a Japanese brand which I forget the name of has made do since I ran out, but not the same taste and horribly expensive.

If we didn't have such a big baggage allowance, I'd stick to the basics like good quality laundry liquid, cheese and a couple of puddings, but we have it so I use it. To be fair, most of the things I'm bringing back aren't available here at all. Husband always complains, but keeps quiet when he's tucking into pie chips and mushy peas.

I'll give the coffee you're talking about a go if you point me in the right direction, and if it's good I might leave out the Lavazza and have room for more white -er- other things. licklips.gif.pagespeed.ce.v-hsVd-Wpu.gif

EDIT: My spelling (lack of proof reading) has been off all day for some reason.

Ok. coffee- so check out the HillKoff website and look for Doi Chang peaberry -coffee of the year in 2012. 250 b for 250g. Or visit the store near Chang Puak gate.enjoy.

Each to their own then - I always find that Milky Bar stuff cloy-ey- but I did get a small parcel the other day with Caramac in, which i had forgotten all about. As good as ever. But I like my chocolate 85% at least cocoa- dark and bitter. I dont believe they should be allowed to call Dairy Milk- chocolate! Some of the 'local' chocolate from Malysia is good - to my taste at least.

If you have a few kilos of choc wrapped in your packed clothes I hope you dont get a 4 hour wait on the tarmac somewhere - could get messy...

So, safe journey.

• Like 1

Dear Op, perhaps you could share any information you've found about travel insurance with Lion Air.

I travel often between CNX and Don Muang and beyond.

Personally I would never travel without at least some small travel insurance therefore on Nok or AirAsia I click yes to their insurance options.

Lion Air have nothing on their website about travel insurance (at least I can't find it), I've sent them e.mails but no response, I've tried calling but no response / nobody understands and call finishes. Google no help.

I asked at their booth at Don Muang, they have information at all on this point, in fact they struggle to even understand the subject / question in either Thai or English.

OP, did you get any details on this point,? Would you please share.

Edited by scorecard

^ What are you specifically looking to get insured against??

This is a low cost carrier's version of 'You want fries with that?', i.e. just an up-sell to squeeze out a couple more baht. Also: carbon footprint off-set points. :thumbsup:

Yes, you do need a little insurance. So you get your health insurance and accident insurance, life insurance and whichever other kinds of insurance you fancy. But specific insurance for keeping a chair warm, 10K up in the air?

Sorry, that was supposed to be "dropping," not "gropping."

Far to old for groping - but I like the idea of the train, which I hadn't thought of. I'll keep that one in mind for future reference. I've decided that he can take the rotten thing though, nobody can say I didn't try.

This is why I either fly directly international from CM or, if having to use Swampy, I will take the overnight train to and from BKK with as many heavy bags as I please, without paying the equivalent of another passenger's flight in fees for my bags of booty.

Dear Op, perhaps you could share any information you've found about travel insurance with Lion Air.

I travel often between CNX and Don Muang and beyond.

Personally I would never travel without at least some small travel insurance therefore on Nok or AirAsia I click yes to their insurance options.

Lion Air have nothing on their website about travel insurance (at least I can't find it), I've sent them e.mails but no response, I've tried calling but no response / nobody understands and call finishes. Google no help.

I asked at their booth at Don Muang, they have information at all on this point, in fact they struggle to even understand the subject / question in either Thai or English.

OP, did you get any details on this point,? Would you please share.

Sorry, we have an annual policy so I don't think I can help you, but Winnie has made a good point on the ridiculous up-selling - I imagine a lot of people might be tempted to tick the box for insurance, but to be brutally honest, I think that getting insurance from an airline would be a bit like getting cheese from a butcher.

Important things like insurance should only be purchased from an insurance company or broker. That type of generic insurance has never appeared on my radar so I've never looked at it but I imagine it would be very, very basic and likely not good. It makes sense that any regular traveller would be better off with an annual policy rather than buying one each time they fly. I haven't looked and it may be perfectly OK, but I wouldn't trust it without scouring through the fine print of a policy document, which you likely wouldn't get to see unless you tried really hard. I used to write small print as a part of my job, and I know I'm 100% right in saying NEVER trust small print, especially if you find a little nugget (insiders tip: it's kind of like leaving a glaring but cunningly controlled mistake in the accounts or paperwork for the auditor to find so that they are satisfied that they've done their job and caught you out and are so busy congratulating themselves for finding the error that they won't look too hard elsewhere; I've done that too).

For lots of reasons we are still residents of, and lodge tax returns in, Australia - wouldn't do it if it didn't benefit us more than the go'ment - and up to this year I took out a backpacker-type medical only travel insurance policy which is all we really need, for 2 people at around 36,000 baht unlimited medical and medivac everywhere except USA. It covers us while were here in Thailand because we don't really 'live' here, we 'reside' in Australia and have long holidays here and elsewhere. We had that same policy for 8 years but there is a condition that you must be physically in Australia when the policy is taken out or, as they seductively suggest, 'when your journey begins' (you just know that the coder said that aloud in a really deep, sek-say voice as he was typing it). Previously this has worked out fine as we're in Melbourne for the MotoGP each September/October but last year we didn't bother going back, and after looking online I found another policy just as good but with 'extra' stuff. We're now covered for cancellations and lost bags etc as well as accidents, emergency dental and unexpected illness. As such, we treat travel insurance as our health insurance. If either of us ever needs a new hip or has a debilitating illness, we'll weigh up going back to Aus or staying here (I'd never trust my life or soul to the English system or the NHS). Better still, It costs pretty much the same as the original policy. The only real difference between the two (apart from beginning our journey from Aus) is that the original policy had a lower premium for South Pacific & South East Asia travel only coverage, not an option with World Nomads, only worldwide including USA or worldwide excluding USA, but we usually grab a last minute package bargain in the middle of our visits to England, so we need the extra countries anyway.
As well as being a consummate reader of small-print, I'm a world champion bargain hunter and can thoroughly recommend World Nomads as being (in my opinion) the best all round value for travel insurance out there for Australians who are still 'resident' in Aus. Possibly not the cheapest, but certainly the best value for money I could find with no scary monsters hiding in the small print and I'm sure they would be competitive for shorter policies.
I hope somebody is able to give you some info on airline insurance, but if you are able to I'd suggest that you have a look at insurance companies as well. Most will give a policy for a single flight and it may be cheaper than Air Asia or Nok Air - after all, they're quiet likely assuming that you're too lazy to look up and compare prices. Most people wouldn't bother. You say you've ticked the box previously, have you ever checked? That's how they get us, ker-ching! Also, I fear that by getting insurance from the airlines, you are only being covered for flight cancellations and nothing else.