Sawan Masih: Pakistani Christian gets death penalty for blasphemy

webfact

I understand you.

But one cannot fight barbarity with liberal principles.

Unless liberal principles accept barbarity - and becomes expediency.

Sorry, this world is not what we would like it to be.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If that belief system isn't the most paranoid, insecure belief system on the planet, I don't know what is. What a scourge.

..and yet it grows like a malignant tumour. Why, what is the attraction?

Aggressive recruitment is the malignance... Fear is the 'attraction' or rather, the binding factor...

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

A lot of people made their original decision about religion under the threat of death. This was common with a number of religions in the past.

Exactly, in the past. Fortunately, most religions have become more enlightened since then and no longer persecute people for their choices.

Its more that 'they' are no longer able to persecute people because 'they' lack the backing of the silent majority and the governments.

If 'they' could have their way it would be 1700 AD in no time. w00t.gifwhistling.gif

A lot of people made their original decision about religion under the threat of death. This was common with a number of religions in the past.

Yes, but it is 2014 and we must deal with the here and now.

The Buddhist and Jewish faiths do not proselytize. Neither do Jains or Bahais.

Some groups in the Christian faith do, but there are none who do so with the threat of death. I don't think that's been the case for a few hundred years, excluding the South American nations where the Roman Catholic church continued its inquisition. However, today, that RC Church has admitted its wrongs and apologized. That's quite a difference from one other religion which does not allow for introspection or criticism.

This is one of the weaknesses when there isn't a separation of "Church" and state. In the UK, the Sovereign is head of the Church of England, but goes to great lengths to include those of other faiths. Even in Thailand, where Buddhism is the state religion, an issue which irks me, I recognize that the Sovereign has made sure to be inclusive and to reach out to the sizeable muslim minority. One does not see this in countries where Islam is the state religion. The principal difference is that some religions will tolerate dissension and criticism (e.g. Christianity), others encourage discussion and even questions (e.g. Buddhism and Judaism) where it is seen as part of the faith to ask probing questions. Only insecure doctrinaire faiths crush dissension and view any questions as meriting retaliation. Of the Christian, Hindu, Mormon Jewish sects who are that doctrinaire, no one is sentenced to death. Perhaps excommunication, or shunning as the Amish and Chasids do, but that's it. Today, one major faith demands the execution of alleged "blasphemers". This then brings us back to my first sentence. We must live in the present and plan for the future. We cannot continually point to the errors of our past to justify wrongful acts in the present.

• Like 1

Today, one major faith demands the execution of alleged "blasphemers".

Post edited for ease of response.

There are other views within the adherents of Islam that the Koran does not demand the death penalty for blasphemy and the Sharia laws in some countries that do spell out the death penalty are "extremist' interpretation of the Koran. Examples at:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/religion/commentary-blasphemy-charges-pervert-islams-teachings/2014/02/03/89052118-8d0c-11e3-99e7-de22c4311986_story.html

http://www.reviewofreligions.org/5002/what-is-the-punishment-for-blasphemy-in-islam/

As already highlighted two moderate senior politicians have been murdered in Pakistan in recent years for opposition to the current blasphemy laws.

Edited by simple1

And this crap in a country that gets $1.5 billion from Kerry-Lugar-Berman annual fund, otherwise known as the Enhanced Partnership with Pakistan Act of 2009

The west has completely lost the plot!

One of the main motivations is to support Pakistan is it's fight against extremism. 40,000 civilians and security forces have lost their lives in this internal war. At the same time it has been identified that some in the security forces & politicians play a double edged game over Kashmir. In regards to supporting the Afghan Taliban, some analyists have a view this is based upon faciiltating a strategic defense for Pakistani forces withdrawal into Afghanistan, in case there was a conventional attack by India, to mitigate the 'need' for a nuclear response.

Some politicians rely upon votes by the conservatives, who support the Pakistan Taliban/extremists, to stay in power - a dark game based upon power & money.

Edited by simple1

The Pakistani blasphemy laws have been used against people of all religions, the Shia Muslims like Christians are hugely over represented in the figures. Often the charges are merely a ploy to rob the victim of their assets, which are then given to the accuser. To argue that it is right to give money to Pakistan to help combat extremists ignores the fact that the Pakistani government is already hopelessly infiltrated by them. as is well demonstrated by the fate of those who helped uncover the whereabouts of Osama Bin Laden.

Again its a double edged game, its been known for years that elements within Pakistan government agencies support Islamic extremists. UK intelligence pointed out some of the main Pakistani players to US intelligence that was not acted upon; this info is documented & not a conspiracy theory. Covered by a number of highly respected journalists, including in detail by Sandy Gall in his book 'War Against the Taliban'

You know Pakistan is a primary supply route for ISAF forces operating in Afghanistan & without Pakistani (paid) cooperation it would be nearly impossible to keep up sufficient supplies to ISAF, so compromises US/NATO initiatves in dealing with Pakistan.

Today, one major faith demands the execution of alleged "blasphemers".

Post edited for ease of response.

There are other views within the adherents of Islam that the Koran does not demand the death penalty for blasphemy and the Sharia laws in some countries that do spell out the death penalty are "extremist' interpretation of the Koran. Examples at:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/religion/commentary-blasphemy-charges-pervert-islams-teachings/2014/02/03/89052118-8d0c-11e3-99e7-de22c4311986_story.html

http://www.reviewofreligions.org/5002/what-is-the-punishment-for-blasphemy-in-islam/

As already highlighted two moderate senior politicians have been murdered in Pakistan in recent years for opposition to the current blasphemy laws.

Islamists are all over the map, literally, figuratively and mentally. In one moment, they'll say they're a religion of peace. In the next moment, they'll say they cherish the Q'ran, which openly advocates slaying infidels. They're up, they're down, they're gentle, they're rough .....shape shifting like a jellyfish in a hurricane. I just wish they'd quit making so much pain and trouble for others.

These cases are generally overturned on appeal. Though having one less religious believer on the planet does sound appealin

Fewer Pattaya degenerates is even more appealing...whistling.gif

At least Pattaya degenerates aren't trying to kill others. whistling.gif

I have two friends from Pakistan who loves their birth country, but are horrified over how quickly this country is descending down towards the dark ages !!

I believe that some countries deserves and truly need a strong man..... Aka dictatorship.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1