Thailand's North prepares for joyful Songkran festival

webfact

Thailand's North prepares for joyful water splashing festival
By Digital Content

13960647344091.jpg

CHIANG MAI, March 29 – Total spending of up to Bt1 billion will circulate in this northern province during the annual Songkran festival next month, according to the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT).

Wisut Buachum, Director of TAT Chiang Mai Office, said the northern province will organise extravagant celebrations highlighting the northern Lanna culture as Thais nationwide welcome the traditional Thai New Year on April 13-16.

He said 85 per cent of Chiang Mai’s hotels have been booked during Songkran, assuring that province will have sufficient accommodation for visitors.

Chaing Mai is one of the most significant and lively provinces to celebrate the century-old tradition. It has planned a series of activities from early next month to April 17.

At least 150,000 tourists from China are expected to join the fun-filled festival in Chiang Mai which will be highlighted by a procession, where Phra Buddha Sihing, the most revered local Buddha image, will be carried around town, as most temples will open their gates to welcome visitors.

Mr Wisut said authorities have prepared facilities to provide convenience and safety to tourists.

The number of visitors to the northern province during this year’s Songkran is expected to be 5-10 per cent higher than last year, he said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-03-29

• Like 1

OMG...the Chinese are coming...the Chinese are coming...watch where you step...you could always go to Singapore for Songkran...where there is a drought...and you will not be allowed to use water...maybe they will sling beer at each other...make it Singha...

The Chinese are coming....is that why all these new road markings are appearing around the old town? The ones with pictures /diagrams of bicycles showing that the slow lane is in the far left where as the faster bikes can go in the inner left lane.

Glad its in diagram form otherwise the Chinese would simply say `No understand Thai' and do as they normally do..... drive/walk/pedal where-ever they feel like. Im sure chaos will reign/rain just as it did last year.smile.png

The Chinese are coming....is that why all these new road markings are appearing around the old town? The ones with pictures /diagrams of bicycles showing that the slow lane is in the far left where as the faster bikes can go in the inner left lane.

Glad its in diagram form otherwise the Chinese would simply say `No understand Thai' and do as they normally do..... drive/walk/pedal where-ever they feel like. Im sure chaos will reign/rain just as it did last year.smile.png

They might not get the "slow lane/fast lane" part. I didn't until I read your explanation.

Edited by Ulysses G.

After 35 years of going through every Songkran. I am know old enough that my children come and pay their respects along with their wives and children

I get to give them blessings and forget about it. It's their tradition but as the elder I have a role to play whether I like it or not. Wish I could wish it all away.