Money Exchange (to USD)

KelCastro

Definitely change to USD before you go Over $10,000 usd you need to claim or face losing it from a fed seizure & possible time. Last year I asked citibank in California & they told me about 24 baht to a dollar + commissions & you have to wait till Thailand sends back USD.They don't trust Thailand & I can see why when they burn German companies & have to buy their jet back to pay back a debt over 20 years old. No one in the U.S. wants to touch this currency Bitcoin more welcome than Thai baht toilet paper. If you are going with 10 grand only take 9990 & the rest of Thai baht up to $9999 or a little less. Coins would still count if they pulled you for inspection.

• Like 1

Definitely change to USD before you go Over $10,000 usd you need to claim or face losing it from a fed seizure & possible time. Last year I asked citibank in California & they told me about 24 baht to a dollar + commissions & you have to wait till Thailand sends back USD.They don't trust Thailand & I can see why when they burn German companies & have to buy their jet back to pay back a debt over 20 years old. No one in the U.S. wants to touch this currency Bitcoin more welcome than Thai baht toilet paper. If you are going with 10 grand only take 9990 & the rest of Thai baht up to $9999 or a little less. Coins would still count if they pulled you for inspection.

Information direct from US Customs at: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/195/kw/Declaring%20currency%20when%20entering%20the%20U.S./sno/1

"How much currency / money / monetary instruments can I bring into the U.S.?

There is no limit on the amount of money that can be taken out of or brought into the United States. However, if a person or persons traveling together and filing a joint declaration (CBP Form 6059-B) have $10,000 or more in currency or negotiable monetary instruments, they must fill out a "Report of International Transportation of Currency and Monetary Instruments" FinCEN 105 (former CF 4790)."

"Please be aware, if persons/family members traveling together have $10,000 or more, they cannot divide the currency between each other to avoid declaring the currency."

This has always been interpreted by US Customs to include ALL currencies at their value in USD. Also, note that this applies even if one is in transit through the USA, on the way to a third country.

Beardog is correct in warning about one thing- if you fail to declare an amount over USD $10,000, and you are caught, it will be seized from you, and will certainly subject you to further scrutiny by US Customs/Border Patrol/Homeland Security.

Great, so where do you all recommend that we exchange our baht? Best conversion rate that is...

With me :)

I got 7 exchenges

I give better rate then on board anywhere...

But only for higher amounts...

Small cant be bothered

mataleo

Many have recommended the exchange on the second floor of the TOPS market, at Second and Klang.

Thats not the best one tho

mataleo

Thanks for that completely unbiased opinion :)

If you've got seven currency exchange booths (I'm assuming) why don't you just provide the location for a couple of them (or would that be considered a commercial post)? Maybe what you've really got are 7 Nigerians standing around various corners of Pattaya saying "Psst...want you want man...money...my uncle is chairman of Nigerian Central Bank and I can give you best rate..."

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Great, so where do you all recommend that we exchange our baht? Best conversion rate that is...

With me smile.png

I got 7 exchenges

Small cant be bothered

mataleo

Where where where? I want to compare!

Many have recommended the exchange on the second floor of the TOPS market, at Second and Klang.

Thats not the best one tho

mataleo

Thanks for that completely unbiased opinion :)

If you've got seven currency exchange booths (I'm assuming) why don't you just provide the location for a couple of them (or would that be considered a commercial post)? Maybe what you've really got are 7 Nigerians standing around various corners of Pattaya saying "Psst...want you want man...money...my uncle is chairman of Nigerian Central Bank and I can give you best rate..."

Jomtien beach rd.

CC exchange

1 by mimosa

But if u go u get what on board

With me u can negotiate thats why

Then u can do deal in exchange booth. Not with me on street. .

mataleo

With me smile.png

I got 7 exchenges

Small cant be bothered

mataleo

Where where where? I want to compare!

On board is different then what i can do.

Cuz we got wholesale rates

mataleo

http://bankexchangerates.daytodaydata.net/default.aspx

Change the currency heading at the top of the page and see which bank is offering what rate.

Private exchenges got far better rates then banks.

Never change with even best thai bank...

Banks in fact are very low

For exame rubel

mataleo

My only worry would be if doing a large exchange not at a bank would be getting counterfeit bills. I'm not saying anything about you or your business, just in general

There's lots of fake money (and other documents) floating around Thailand and unless the notes received are new or fairly new, it can be tough for the average person to distinguish between the two.

Also, when you say you give best rates for large transactions, how large are we talking about...US$ 1k, 5k, 10k, more?

Change the currency heading at the top of the page and see which bank is offering what rate.

For exame rubel

mataleo

Not too many people want to carry GBP 10k or 20K in cash from the UK to Pattaya, just so that they can save GBP 10 per thousand on the exchange rate! Doing that also makes it quite difficult to get the necessary paperwork need to buy say a condo where it must be proven that the funds came from overseas.

Don't know about anyone else. but the max I can carry out of Oz is 10K AUD in cash - considerably happier since I got my CITI debit card. For the sake of spending a few days in BKK loading up on baht, I consider it a win-win, although carrying a large chunk of cash in any currency will always have an obvious downside. C'est La Vie.

Do the Thai Bank ATM cards (VISA logo electron debit) work in the USA? And if so, what sort of exchange rate do you get? I mean of course for those in the balcony, is it near the "bank to bank" rate. Yes, I know there will be small fees involved. Interested in specifically if you can use a Thai Bank ATM card in the USA for dollars. Not "should be able to" but experiences actually doing it. Thank you

Change more better rate u get

I can do any amount..

But dont come with 100usd.

Can negotiate.

I can sell currencies cheaper too

For exame rubel

mataleo

My only worry would be if doing a large exchange not at a bank would be getting counterfeit bills. I'm not saying anything about you or your business, just in general

There's lots of fake money (and other documents) floating around Thailand and unless the notes received are new or fairly new, it can be tough for the average person to distinguish between the two.

Also, when you say you give best rates for large transactions, how large are we talking about...US$ 1k, 5k, 10k, more?

I got machines for check bills.

U welcome to use it and test ur bills, in exchange box.

Now u will say i got fake machine...

I tell u what u would not believe how many fake bills thai bath and dollars and chinese yuan i got from banks.

Do u think that girl sitting kasikorn knows real yuan and fake one?

Think twice

And they dont have.machine to check it...

mataleo

Edited by mataleo

I actually believe that Thai bank staff are pretty good at spotting fakes and indeed there is technology that will help check for them, ultra-violet being one of them.

Hardly see any machines in banks

They save every bath

All i see is magnified glass

And they use fingers for usd.

Mate they took fake thai bath with foil strip made from coocking aluminium foil.

U would laugh if u see it...

U try ask them about philipines peso or oman currencies good luck.

All they know how to check is usd

Gbp u go give them pounds thats are out of circulation they might take it. ..

mataleo

I actually believe that Thai bank staff are pretty good at spotting fakes and indeed there is technology that will help check for them, ultra-violet being one of them.

Yep - my experience is that the bank staff will *always* put bills under the UV light : in any case, I feel more confident with Aussie notes than non-polymer currencies, particularly the greenback. Being handed USD from a rickety 'Exchange Booth' in Cambodia had a distinctly surreal aspect to it - I was very relieved that people happily accepted them from that point forward.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymer_banknotes

Now I just need to get about a thousand 100-dollar bills into a suitcase ;)

• Like 1

Yep - my experience is that the bank staff will *always* put bills under the UV light : in any case, I feel more confident with Aussie notes than non-polymer currencies, particularly the greenback. Being handed USD from a rickety 'Exchange Booth' in Cambodia had a distinctly surreal aspect to it - I was very relieved that people happily accepted them from that point forward.

Now I just need to get about a thousand 100-dollar bills into a suitcase ;)

Not every currency flashes under UV.

USD for example not very well or not at all..

I bring huge amounts to banks and they only count it by hand never check real or not..

U throw on them milion bath in different currencies see how that works...

All she do is counts it.. which takes time itself... without checking every note.

No machine

mataleo

Edited by mataleo

There's something not quiet right with that picture, every time I have taken currency for exchange to a Thai bank it has always been subject to the UV test and all notes have been inspected - larger amounts are always counted via a machine, all those things have been true at every bank I have ever banked with for the past twenty years, even banks where I am well known and am a preferred customer.

Now I just need to get about a thousand 100-dollar bills into a suitcase wink.png

I think you'll find that every $US note in Cambodia carries an exchange trader's tiny impression stamp in the corner. But, that said, if a customer is an obvious one-visit tourist, I wouldn't put it past private exchange traders to rid themselves of fake notes once in a while.

There's something not quiet right with that picture, every time I have taken currency for exchange to a Thai bank it has always been subject to the UV test and all notes have been inspected - larger amounts are always counted via a machine, all those things have been true at every bank I have ever banked with for the past twenty years, even banks where I am well known and am a preferred customer.

That's been my experience too. Although I rarely bring in foreign notes. I use wire transfers.

Now I just need to get about a thousand 100-dollar bills into a suitcase wink.png

I think you'll find that every $US note in Cambodia carries an exchange trader's tiny impression stamp in the corner. But, that said, if a customer is an obvious one-visit tourist, I wouldn't put it past private exchange traders to rid themselves of fake notes once in a while.

We stamp notes in thailand too.

Reson for that is if i sell to bank or whoever and they find out later its fake i have to buy it back.

Stamp dosent means its real note..

mataleo

Not every bank got money checking device trust me.

Ok big branches in town got it.

Smaller dont. Only counting machine.

If u dont believe me go to krung thai past mimosa see how its done.

Its just my first exame i can think of at the moment got theres many more...

And They fake UV thing as well so its useless anyway.

They do good copies this days.

mataleo