Second weekend with total alcohol ban in Thailand

george

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If alcohol didn't have the effect it does on your little minds, you wouldn't drink alcohol. So there is no reason to drink it. Fix your f_____ life so you don't have the urge to escape to another reality.

Then have a beer and attack my comment.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My cousin was in BKK for vacation. I hadn't seen him for 2 years. We went to a restaurant, wanted to have a couple of beers, relax and talk, so Thai gf orded beer first. The waiter came back with the menu and Thai gf ordered the food. The waiter comes back again with the food, but not the beer. We asked about the beer, and that's when he said they are not selling it. Turns out he was not Thai, he was from Burma, and did not understand her when she first ordered beer. I told him that I'm farang, I can't vote, so can they sell me a beer, and of course the answer was no. I was not happy. There is a reason that for many people, a social dinner with good drinks and good food goes hand and hand. If the restaurant had had a sign if front saying they were not selling beer, we would have found a different place that was. I don't think this law helps the economy when it comes to tourists, go on vacation but you can't drink when you go to many bars and restaurants.

• Like 2

Don't care, don't like alcohol and I think it turns people into instant morons.

If alcohol was banned forever I wouldn't care one bit.

Well, it isn't and you sound like a lot of fun.....

Oh, right, almost forgot; we NEED alcohol for people to have fun!

Because having fun without alcohol is completely impossible; just ask any small kids, they look miserable playing outside, sober.

Live on Koh Phangan for a few years then tell me again how alcohol is a good thing.

I am indeed sorry, as I don't want to be a part of an argument about the merits or otherwise of alcohol drinking, but I feel I should point out that your argument that small kids can have fun without alcohol implies that one would have to have the mentality of a small child to be able to have fun without alcohol.

You may be right. (Not really ;) )

The idea of cutting alcohol sales for elections and certain hours of the day is dumb. Political stunts-man-ship.

If people want to drink, they will - despite some arcane regulation that forbids its sale. A tourist driven economy depends on catering to tourists, so such regulations limiting sales annoys the visiting tourists, cuts profits of business catering to tourists, and may line the pockets of some police who collect their bounty for permitting exceptions.

Prohibiting sale of liquor from 2 pm to 5 pm - or whatever it is, is dumber than prohibiting sale on election days. Wake up!

SkyRider, are you serious? Thai GF and she can't get you a beer on a "banned day"?

Serious, at this restaurant, she could not get it, they wouldn't sell it. But, after dinner, we did find a bar that was selling it.

- Does Thailand have it's fair share of alcoholic expats? 50% of us are alcoholics? 30%? 90%?

Obviously there are plenty, I don't know what percent. I don't think this ban affects alcoholics though. They can buy alcohol at a local mom and pop store, or buy ahead of time, and drink all they want in their home.

For many who work all week, the weekend is the only time they have to have a few beers and relax, and most of us don't want to do it alone at home. It's not the end of the world, but it is a bit annoying. That this election is meaningless makes it even more so.

It was odd in Pattaya last night. Some places were open and serving booze with aplomb, others not selling a drop.....It seemed that to the east of Soi Buakhow in all those little sois they were selling, but on the main soi there was nowt down....The air turned blue quite a few times last night I can tell you...

Why do these threads always seem to drag out the sanctimonious non drinkers who seem to revel in sneering at those of us whose wives don't wear the trousers....

- Does Thailand have it's fair share of alcoholic expats? 50% of us are alcoholics? 30%? 90%?

Or is this actually a very healthy thing, a good thing, staying away from alcohol now and then?

my guess would be that only about 90% of expats in LOH (land of hubs) that have been here at least a year do drink at least once a week. most i would say drink 3x or more a week. i've been here 6 years and i stopped drinking 3 years ago after songkran. i found that having a healthy family and drinking were incompatible activities.

however that's just my own opinion and what works for me. i drank for over 20 years and never knew another way to live. now that i've been a non-drinker for a few years, i make much more money than i ever have, my family is strong, healthy, and happy, and i feel great. of course, i'm bored all the time lol

and that's why expats drink. Thailand is a boring place, even if you do work 40-60 hours a week. i end up watching too much tv and eating too much food. both are probably pretty bad for me..

• Like 1

Interesting when some districts had to close their polling stations. The ban was still enforced. I think if can't vote then can drink.

The ban is enforced after polls closing because in the past alcohol was used in connection with vote buying. They would round up a bunch of people and then take them out to get pissed after they voted. So they extend the ban until after the polls close.

It's ridiculous and does nothing to prevent vote buying, but that's why they do it.

SkyRider, in future if you need a drink on a banned day give the waitress the money and she will arrange for it to be purchased elsewhere. Everyone sanuk sanuk!

Yesterday evening went to Asiatique and went into the irish pub there and ordered a beer

and the waiter said I can't and looked at the table next to me and two girls are sitting there

with full glasses of beer . I told the waiter they have beer and I can't and told him that's

the last time I will ever come to their bar.

Walked across the road and had a pizza and beer in a nice italian restuarant.

Interesting when some districts had to close their polling stations. The ban was still enforced. I think if can't vote then can drink.

The ban is enforced after polls closing because in the past alcohol was used in connection with vote buying. They would round up a bunch of people and then take them out to get pissed after they voted. So they extend the ban until after the polls close.

It's ridiculous and does nothing to prevent vote buying, but that's why they do it.

used to be the same in Canada years ago for the same reasons, eventually they woke up and noticed it doesn't make a difference.

I was in pantip plaza yesterday evening, I popped into that 7/11 type store on 3rd floor near food court. They had a big bin of beers in ice out front. Looking very appealing. I asked the shop boy if they were selling. He said yeah. Very cold too. I guess we can assume pantip operates with police protection.

Then went to dinner at the inlaws restaurant and my father in-law had the wine and beer flowing tremendously. Customers started buying beers etc. It was such a party I forgot to ask him what was different as they never sell alcohol during such bans. Often they close the joint.

Well that's interesting.

I read a few posts here from folk who hate alcohol, never drink it, can have fun without it etc.

How embarrassing for them to have to admit that the occasional really stupid things that they/(we) do cannot be blamed on alcohol.....

They did it sober LOL

No excuses, it was them 5 5 5 5 5 5

At least I can hide my shame behind the bottle like soooo many others LOL

Er, it seemed like a good idea st the time LOL

• Like 1

Don't care, don't like alcohol and I think it turns people into instant morons.

If alcohol was banned forever I wouldn't care one bit.

How wonderful for you. If only everybody in the world was just like you, right? (Otherwise, I guess they're morons.)

Sheesh.

More to the point though, this is an internal matter. Foreigners will have to just deal with it. We're guests.

• Like 1