Leaving Thailand for China, here is why

MrHammer

Well you've run the gamut quite successfully. I even spotted a thinly veiled death wish on behalf of one of your detractors!

I hope you will keep us updated on how your experience goes. Remember it'll be uniquely yours to experience and regardless of what this thread may presage could be fantastic or terrible- only one way to find out.

Those of us who are more familiar with your posts know how you meant your comments to be taken.

I wish you the best!

Thanks for the comment. You are right in your assumption.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The novelty has worn off! what makes you think it will not wear off wherever you go! early thirties looking for something in life! not being appreciated for your skill set! having to compete with other young guys for Isaan princesses! tired of the party scene! you should be asking yourself what you actually want out of life. A wife a home a good job? children?. Investment opportunities! a career ? did you learn the language here.? foreigners here are the same as foreigners in every country not generally accepted by the locals because they are errrr, foreigners! did you associate with the local Thai or Indian communities in your home country. No,!,..the Chinese, I bet not! The problem may not be the country it may just be you.! it would be wise to close the trap when dissatisfied about a country you are a guest in..you just never know when the tide will change. And as for Isaan princesses, I have met a few who despite your misgivings are truly lovely. And some who are not! such is life!..good luck with China!.just remember it is not a perfect world and looking for a perfect world will only disappoint you in the end! acceptance is the key and just be happy wherever you find yourself...Thailand will not miss you.! and the final question is what is wrong with your own home that you so desperately need to find somewhere new. China is not the land of happy valleys and naïve young princesses ,everything comes with a price, riding a tiger is a dangerous game!

Edited by metisdead
Font reset to default forum font.

Your probably going to get similar negatives with a cultural twist in any big city in Asia...

Cities are basically limited land areas where people are packed in coming for jobs and the lifestyle is not that great and cost of living increases. Living like a rat basically in a small space.

No surprises there.

If you can be anywhere, and your not there for degenerate reasons like prostitutes, then the best decision is to go somewhere else where the cost of living is less expensive and you can live well and still get the city stuff which is not all that different from any other city, if that's what floats your boat.

Cities like Shanghai and Beijing are however quite expensive, probably on par with or more then Bangkok. Hong Kong is very expensive to live there. Saigon or Hanoi may be better bets cost-wise for you, finding a job would be easier in China though where they are used to international business.

I will admit however that there was something specifically about Bangkok that I disliked more then other large cities I have lived in (not sure why). Just a month or two and was itching to get out.

I did not meet anyone who had a regular "career" job there, other then bars, teaching english the usual riff-raff stuff. There was a guy running a meditation center in Chiang Mai, that's about it. Thailand is not really like the West or China even from what I saw, where you can go in and interview as a foreigner and be given the benefit of the doubt with skills over nationality.

Prostitution and the lifestyle is not really glamourous as some make it out to be. There are a lot of negatives, like drugs, emotional problems, disease, need I go on? Thailand is basically sacrificing much of the good of their culture for quick cash. The Thais know this and you will find the negativity from that fruit seller, passive-aggression, visa regulations and stuff like this will just increase over time.

I'd like to get in an apology before an eventual lock for the choice of words regarding mixed thai-farang children. I did not mean to deliberately offend parents of mixed ethnicity children and it was a very poor choice of words. The comment was supposed to be aimed at the beauty standards of some thais rather than an insult.

And you wonder why no-one wants to employ you?? You need to explore the concept of "nuance," but I do not think China is the best place to do that, given that you are not familiar with the native language.

Mr. Hammer, consensus is that you've made the wrong decision about China. From what I know, I believe the warnings are quite correct. Better heed them.

Time for a serious rethink!

The OP wrote, "Over here in Thailand, despite having sent several applications for jobs that I am more than qualified for, I receive no interest."

Simple, the dude can't find a job. Thailand and then China, looks great on a resume. I don't know exactly what kind of resume but I'm sure someone will be interested in 10 years of Thailand experience.

Not enough info to make any meaningful conjecture about that. It depends on what jobs exactly with what companies. May mean something or nothing at all.

BTW, sending applications doesn't normally get you anywhere in Thailand. You got to go to the companies and present yourself.

Mass mailing job applications/resumes doesn't work anywhere. The kicker is that the Hammer dude was offended that he didn't receive any polite declines from prospective employers. Is he serious? At my company, we get job applications all the time. All the time. Do we respond to every single one? Of course not. This is part of what makes his anti-Thai rant so lacking in credibility. But in all honesty, I hope a few like him listens and follows his lead.

• Like 1

I'd like to get in an apology before an eventual lock for the choice of words regarding mixed thai-farang children. I did not mean to deliberately offend parents of mixed ethnicity children and it was a very poor choice of words. The comment was supposed to be aimed at the beauty standards of some thais rather than an insult.

And you wonder why no-one wants to employ you?? You need to explore the concept of "nuance," but I do not think China is the best place to do that, given that you are not familiar with the native language.

I took OP's comment as *whiter skin, narrow nose / facial features* is the media business model. And I agreed.

For the record, that mode is denigrating and actually suppressive for Thai not so inclined. Think about the young teenage girls who watch this sh-t on Thai TV, young women genetically darker.

Essentially, the media is projecting: *If you have dark skin and broad facial features, you are of a lesser class and unattractive*.

Empathy is not exactly big, round these parts.

Mass mailing job applications/resumes doesn't work anywhere. The kicker is that the Hammer dude was offended that he didn't receive any polite declines from prospective employers. Is he serious? At my company, we get job applications all the time. All the time. Do we respond to every single one? Of course not. This is part of what makes his anti-Thai rant so lacking in credibility. But in all honesty, I hope a few like him listens and follows his lead.

He sounds like an attention-seeking English teacher who failed.

So what? No one will miss him when he's gone.

I hear ya, bro. Everything you mentioned can be a bit much after a while. And it's difficult to find a genuine connection with Thais or other foreigners. But I'm not sure if you'll find China all that different. I've never been there, but just look at some of these comments. And think about some of the Chinese descendants and/or tourists you've met in Thailand.

If you want to be in Asia with people that have a similar mentality, I suggest going for Japan. Yeah, you might not feel accepted there. But the lifestyle is more what you're used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Essentially, the media is projecting: *If you have dark skin and broad facial features, you are of a lesser class and unattractive*.

Yes, because out West in our home countries, mediocre looking woman with stretch marks from pregnancy and bags under their eyes are featured in the fashion makings.

You know, because we're so empathetic unlike SE Asia.

I took OP's comment as *whiter skin, narrow nose / facial features* is the media business model. And I agreed.

For the record, that mode is denigrating and actually suppressive for Thai not so inclined. Think about the young teenage girls who watch this sh-t on Thai TV, young women genetically darker.

Its such a pity. I wonder how long it'll take before the stigma of dark skin and broad features disappears? After a few generations of a fully developed economy maybe.

May i be so bold to say i think Isaan/Laos women are some of the most attractive in the world.

I am just guessing here, but the OP mentions that he has to compete with young guys for isaan prostitutes in the bars, that drinks are too expensive and that he receives no replies when applying for jobs.

It sounds to me that the OP is low on cash and is trying to get freebies from the working girls?

In my experience guys with cash (old or young) have no problem competing with even the most handsome young guys trying to get freebies (or discount).

If the above is even remotely true, then I suspect China will not change much, but I wish the OP good luck, and would genuinely like to read a follow up from China in say 3 months.

I moved to Taipei in 2003...lived there 7 years before moving to China...

How I would describe Taipei:

• Clean, extraordinarily safe, modern, affluent
  • Outstanding public transportation
  • Outstanding nationalized health care system
  • Chinese (Mandarin) is the first language, but English is widely spoken
  • Decent-sized & growing expat community weighted heavily toward education (English teaching) and the tech sector (I'm part of the latter)
  • Good-to-excellent night life options, and easy to meet Taiwanese women if you're so inclined
  • Taipei population is around 3-3.5 million, but the city is geographically quite small, thus population density is quite high...you can learn to navigate the city in a short time, but it 'feels' bigger than it is
  • Taiwanese draw a considerable amount of their cultural influence from Japan. I've found they act more like Japanese than mainland Chinese (my opinion). That's a positive in my opinion.
  • Amazing natural beauty to be found on the island. Easy to get away from the city and into some picturesque mountain scenery in a very short amount of time.
  • Sub-tropical climate. Never snows in Taipei...coldest I've ever seen is maybe 7 degrees C. Catches about 2-3 typhoons per summer. Earthquakes are frequent but mild (for the most part). Oh, and it rains A LOT in Taipei.
  • My wife & I live on about $2,600 USD per month here, which includes rent at $750 per month. The apartment is in the heart of downtown Taipei, 2 bed, 1 bath, 2 minutes walk to the nearest subway station.

So, China. Well. I accepted a relo to Shanghai in 2010 and lived there for 3 years. I'll say that I met a lot of foreigners who love it there, but I hated it & couldn't wait to leave.

Stuff I hated:

• So. many. people. Christ. It's like a virus of humans. 30 million in Shanghai. Enough said.
  • Extensive public transportation, but see the 'so many people' comment above. Yea, it's crowded. Every. Single. Day.
  • The air quality. It's never good. Never. You smell it, you taste it, your throat gets raw from breathing it. It's pervasive & inescapable. The sky is always grey.
  • The people have no manners. Expect people to constantly cut in front of you. When subway doors open, they all rush on before waiting for passengers to alight first.
  • Men smoke everywhere & they all seem to smoke the nastiest possible cigarettes
  • The constant sound of men hocking up phlegm & spitting everywhere. All. The. Time. It's disgusting.
  • Except for humans and the occasional pigeon, the place is empty & dead. Utterly devoid of wildlife, no natural beauty whatsoever, just death & polluted air.
It got to the point where I started to wonder about the 'value' of the Chinese populace as a whole, and what purpose they serve on this planet other than to consume and pollute. What do they give back to humanity? What's their contribution other than cheap labor & manufacturing? If tomorrow, all 1.3 billion of them disappeared from the face of the earth, what would we miss about them? I find it truly difficult to answer those questions.

In the end, China just wore me down. The grind of commuting daily to work and dealing with the teeming, crowded sea of humanity drained me as much or more than my actual job did. I had to get out. I told my boss I wanted to move back to Taipei, and she was finally able to make it happen for me. I've been back in Taipei for over a year now, and I'm incredibly happy to not be living in China any more.

I only visited Taipei as a tourist but loved it, can you recommend any area names for preferred living - sub cities, districts or however categorized there?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I am just guessing here, but the OP mentions that he has to compete with young guys for isaan prostitutes in the bars, that drinks are too expensive and that he receives no replies when applying for jobs.

It sounds to me that the OP is low on cash and is trying to get freebies from the working girls?

In my experience guys with cash (old or young) have no problem competing with even the most handsome young guys trying to get freebies (or discount).

If the above is even remotely true, then I suspect China will not change much, but I wish the OP good luck, and would genuinely like to read a follow up from China in say 3 months.

I think it was more of a general complaint about the fact that prostitution has infected many of the good night clubs in BKK. One thing I'm not liking about TH at the moment is there's not a lot of hangouts for guys in their mid to late 30s that aren't filled with prostitutes. And at that age, you start to feel a little old for girls in their early 20s.

Yes, because out West in our home countries, mediocre looking woman with stretch marks from pregnancy and bags under their eyes are featured in the fashion makings.

Uhhh, yeah, man. The Thai media shaming and invalidating young Thai girls because they have darker skin and broader facial features is just like (wait for it) you said: "stretch marks from pregnancy and bags under their eyes are featured in the fashion makings" (sic). How's that booze thing working out for you?

I think it was more of a general complaint about the fact that prostitution has infected many of the good night clubs in BKK. One thing I'm not liking about TH at the moment is there's not a lot of hangouts for guys in their mid to late 30s that aren't filled with prostitutes. And at that age, you start to feel a little old for girls in their early 20s.

You're just in the wrong areas, their are so many normal places all throughout Bangkok, though most are well outside the heavy tourist red-light districts but a very few are just next door. There are many here in their late twenties to early or mid thirties who work good jobs & don't bother with the rentals. I've found good places (8-15 min motorbike ride away from Sukhumvit) in Phrom Phong, Ekamai, Thonglor and than there's Siam.

I only visited Taipei as a tourist but loved it, can you recommend any area names for preferred living - sub cities, districts or however categorized there?

I live in Daan district, which is in the heart of downtown Taipei. Everything you'd ever need to conduct daily life is within walking distance or a few subway stops from here. There's also a huge park in the center of the city (Daan Park), which would be Taipei's version of Central Park. It's quite nice.

Hsin Yi district neighbors Daan and is home to the Taipei 101 building and wide array of shopping options (including the 101 mall, which is truly amazing).

Those two districts are where I conduct the vast majority of my life in Taipei & if I had to recommend a place to live in the city, it would be one of these two areas. My work is in Nangang well to the east of the city. I commute there directly via subway every day...takes about 35 minutes door-to-door to get from my apartment to my office.

I live in Daan district, which is in the heart of downtown Taipei. Everything you'd ever need to conduct daily life is within walking distance or a few subway stops from here. There's also a huge park in the center of the city (Daan Park), which would be Taipei's version of Central Park. It's quite nice.

Hsin Yi district neighbors Daan and is home to the Taipei 101 building and wide array of shopping options (including the 101 mall, which is truly amazing).

Those two districts are where I conduct the vast majority of my life in Taipei & if I had to recommend a place to live in the city, it would be one of these two areas. My work is in Nangang well to the east of the city. I commute there directly via subway every day...takes about 35 minutes door-to-door to get from my apartment to my office.

Thanks, I noted the areas. Not sure how much longer I can stand Thailand & want not only to stay in Asia but live a more satisfying life closer to the quality I was used to in America. Undecided between Taipei & KL, depends also on work, but more so the Visa requirements for me & Thai wife. Much research to do still, but good living areas are impossible to find by just googling, you need eyes on the ground & experienced minds for that.

You're just in the wrong areas, their are so many normal places all throughout Bangkok, though most are well outside the heavy tourist red-light districts but a very few are just next door. There are many here in their late twenties to early or mid thirties who work good jobs & don't bother with the rentals. I've found good places (8-15 min motorbike ride away from Sukhumvit) in Phrom Phong, Ekamai, Thonglor and than there's Siam.

You're right. And you're right. And I know some of the places off Suk you're probably talking about. But they still feel a bit hip and over the top for me. When you start getting near 40, you feel old for that too. And the suburban bars for the boring, down to Earth Thai equivalent of the girls I'd date back home seem a little off limits to foreigners.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thanks, I noted the areas. Not sure how much longer I can stand Thailand & want not only to stay in Asia but live a more satisfying life closer to the quality I was used to in America. Undecided between Taipei & KL, depends also on work, but more so the Visa requirements for me & Thai wife. Much research to do still, but good living areas are impossible to find by just googling, you need eyes on the ground & experienced minds for that.

I have an 'ARC' card in Taiwan which grants me residency tied directly to the work permit from my employer. With this, my wife is able to also stay & live with me in Thailand. My wife is mainland Chinese, and I will say that Taiwan actually quite frowns on allowing mainland Chinese into the island. What you can take away for this is, if I can have my Chinese wife living with me here, your Thai wife will be no problem provided you can get a work permit sponsored from an employer.

I will say though, that your Thai wife might not like it here (and possibly not in China either). Thais & Filipinos are generally considered 'lesser' in Taiwan. You typically see Thai men doing labor intensive work (construction, etc.), and Filipinas serving as housemaids & caregivers to the elderly. It's pure, blatant racism, but it is reality I'm afraid. To that end, Malaysia may be a better bet for your wife in the long run. (My 2 cents.)

• Like 1

Uhhh, yeah, man. The Thai media shaming and invalidating young Thai girls because they have darker skin and broader facial features is just like (wait for it) you said: "stretch marks from pregnancy and bags under their eyes are featured in the fashion makings" (sic). How's that booze thing working out for you?

Ummm, I was being sarcastic.

Go watch some TV, and look at some fashion magazines in the West. Glamorizing gorgeous models, while patronizing those unlike them is hardly a Thailand problem.

Well, I guess that every can tell his own experience, I have met some friends befre who described Thailand as hell, and met some others who described it as a paradise, so everyone based on his own experience,

Maybe he is right of what seen , or passed by some situations etc,

However, wishing you a good luck, whether in China or any where else..

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You're right. And you're right. And I know some of the places off Suk you're probably talking about. But they still feel a bit hip and over the top for me. When you start getting near 40, you feel old for that too. And the suburban bars for the boring, down to Earth Thai equivalent of the girls I'd date back home seem a little off limits to foreigners.

Bang Kapi has some nice down to earth bars. They are not off limits to anyone. There are some behind Ramkhamhaen uni and some at the Lam Sali intersection. Not many, but some nice ones.

• Like 1

Ummm, I was being sarcastic.

Go watch some TV, and look at some fashion magazines in the West. Glamorizing gorgeous models, while patronizing those unlike them is hardly a Thailand problem.

Really? Did not get the sarcasm. >>> Well aware of fashion industry *sickness*, Western-style. But a far cry from essentially telling small-town Thai kids they are inferior due to darker skin and broad facial features. A form of self-hate. >>> Let's agree to disagree. This string, gonna bail.

In my late forties but don't have an issue with the company I can hang with as long as they're 30 or over. I make it a point to just engage in conversation, make contacts and/or the slow building of friendships....4% battery

Out of here. :)

• Like 1

Really? Did not get the sarcasm. >>> Well aware of fashion industry *sickness*, Western-style. But a far cry from essentially telling small-town Thai kids they are inferior due to darker skin and broad facial features. A form of self-hate. >>> Let's agree to disagree. This string, gonna bail.

Really? How so, exactly? How is that any different than what some girl growing up in a small town in Tennessee feels, while she watches all the media and magazines coming out of LA and New York?

• Like 1

Yeah mate I'm real naive!

34 years married to my thai wife three children two grand children extensive investments in Thailand a great bunch of expat mates from all over the world and a great bunch of thai friends and family.

Oh hang on maybe she got me on the long term scam plan.

Try getting out of the bars and the gutter and see the positive side of life.

Thumbs up for a great comeback!

Did I read the OP correctly? - he is sick of Thais being rude towards him and is moving to the internationally renowned bastion of politeness and common decency ...China. Has he actually been to China? Does he know how stupid his plan sounds? That's like having chemotherapy because you're sick of cutting your hair.

Edited by aussiebebe
  • Like 2

I left Asia last year and i think the points OP make are valid and i think Thailand is for some people but in my experience when you strip away the the booze and the girls,there is not much left to offer.Asians are by there nature on a totally different wavelength to the western mentality which is difficult to live with if you ask me,alot of Asians are born liars and scammers and they scam and cheat their own people not to mind the foreigners,the only thing i miss about Asia is the weather and having returned to europe,i see big improvements in the economy here.I have lived in many countries but the one thing that makes life easy or difficult to do business in is the language and culture.If i were to go back to Asia and pick a country ,it would be the philippines,they speak english,they share similarities with western culture more than any other country in Asia and if you ask me ,it is a country with the most potential,it is just turning around as an economy and has lots of future potential.I spent 3 weeks in shenzhen and i could not wait to get of there,a concrete jungle with a population only interested in making money ,the weather was terrible,i would not want to live there but i like the balance between lifestyle and a good economy.

Really? How so, exactly? How is that any different than what some girl growing up in a small town in Tennessee feels, while she watches all the media and magazines coming out of LA and New York?

Pal, I got you on the slender good-looking thing. That is the way it is. But fashion in the West is now multicultural, multi-colored, multi-ethnic, now even multi-shaped. That is the point of it. They are now marketing to the so-called "millennials", and that's what that segment likes (good). The simple fact in Thailand is the *ideal* standard is a light-skinned, narrow-faced, Chinese or Western-looking model. The dark skinned, round-faced Thai girls (as naturally beautiful as they may be) need not apply. That gets drilled into their heads from the first time they look at a TV.