Online MA, PhD, Diploma in Philippines and other?

Why don't we start a thread where people can discuss viable options for getting their masters in ED overseas online? People have mentioned that it's a possibility but let's get some concrete information on which universities and what the costs are. Good idea?

I have looked into that course, its pricey but it looks very relevant and could certainly be worth it. I am a bit stumped though as to what will happen to all us native speakers with degrees.....and then masters degrees. Will our pay go up significantly? Can the average government school pay what I may expect if I have such a qualification? That course would probably be recognised in my home country. I could feasible go home and earn some real money if I wanted (no, I dont want to go home I am just throwing ideas out there). A teacher that works in an international school can earn above 100,000 per month. I may not expect that, but if I have dished out over 200,000 baht for a qualification like this how much should I expect?.....40,000...nah thats about the standard now....50,000....more please......60,000...were starting get a little more serious.....70,000.....yeah that seems about reasonable, probably wouldnt need to be much more than that. Can anyone see that kind of money being offered to people that have completed masters degrees here? Ok, I can get my salary up to that by doing extra work but, if I am an experienced teacher with an accredited degree from my own country. AND a masters degree in education..........What will I be worth?

I am wanting to stay here long term. I have already been here 10 years. I have a family and I want to follow the rules as much as I can. I understand Thailand wanting to have 'real' teachers but I am really wondering if they are willing to pay for such people. Is it all just a thinly disguised plan to get more falangs out? Is it sincere? Is it just another pipe dream like so many other schemes that go wrong in this country?

Thanks for starting the thread. There are a lot of people in my situation that will be following this whole thing with interest.

• Like 1

I will start us out with a link from another thread:

http://www.elearning.au.edu/medtt/

Bruce, I'd assume it's more useful to consider a BA in education as well, as not all are qualified to go for a Master's, due a lack of education, or time.

Thus on the other hand would be fairly enough to obtain the needed teaching permit in Thailand.. Unfortunately, a Master's would also mean a higher salary.

Where would be an online institution, accredited by MoE Bangkok, or a Thai university,such as a Rajabhat who're doling such courses on weekends???

Seems that many here are looking for a good solution. Keep your ideas coming,please..Thanks.-wai2.gif

Edited by Scott

This M.Ed online course at Assumption was discussed by me in a recent thread. I am considering studying for this course to obtain a teaching qualification that I can use for 'emergency plan B', in case my existinng guesthouse/hotel businesses in Phuket goes 'south'!

I have been in contact with the course admission centre who confirm that they would certainly welcome my application, (I am 55 years old, but I'm sure the course fee payment is always a 'sweetener' when considering whether or not to accept mature students).

I already have several years of successful teaching/Headmaster experience in Myanmar and Laos, but I don't have a teaching qualification, (other than a TEFL). I do have an unrelated MSc from the UK.

Yooyung - is the course expensive? The course fees seem about right for an online Masters qualification. The only cheaper, online post-graduate teaching qualification that I know of, (and actually which I have been accepted to study), is the PGCEi from Nottingham University (Bangkok cohort). The cost is about 156,000 baht.

I still need to decide whether to study for the PGCEi or the M.Ed from Assumption. The PGCEi is a very useful qualification for teaching in schools at primary or secondary level, but at my 'advanced' age, I suspect that many schools will pass over an elderly male as their primary teacher, (even though this is where most of my experience lies).

Simon

Edited by simon43

Most international schools would not accept the online degrees. Those investing time and money into an online degree to just stay in Thailand seems a little bit of a waste. Having an masters in education will not increase one's salary. Most schools have cap limits and don't pay more for those with more experience or qualifications.

Schools that offer online programs that also have the same degree on campus are the ones that would be most advantageous since no one would know if it were online or not.

Investing on a masters in country seems to be a waste also unless you never want to leave. I personally like the flexibility of working in other countries. Programs that are joint sponsored seem the way to go but again some of them seem to be little more than just a piece of paper. I spent two years in my masters and earned it and also have utilized what I have learned.

There are some great programs out there but there are also a lot of degree mills. It takes a lot of work to differentiate between them.

I think these online masters etc are a great idea for the lifelong expat. It is a perfect way to fool thai people into thinking you have a masters or whatever it is. The fact is though, they are crap, and many of these degrees are shunned by "real" employers overseas.

I think you are making an overgeneralization. Many Masters degrees can be completed by distance-learning if they are research-based. Some excellent universities offer these types of masters degrees. And, there are certainly some crap courses out there as well.

The TCT requires your University to be listed in the "World Almanac" whatever that is. This includes B.A. or B.S.. I seriously doubt online degrees are listed but perhaps someone knows exactly what this almanac is and can check. (This for waviers or the TL itself)

Nonsense! They accept degrees from the Open University. Try again. They also accept degrees from some unaccredited and blatant degree mills. You just gotta know which ones. :)

Edited by thequietman

I've been procrastinating about doing this for years-
http://www.usq.edu.au/handbook/2014/education/PGCE.html

These guys do a B. Ed and others, including, I think an M.A. via a combination of distance learning and classroom sessions in BKK-

http://strobertstransnational.edu.ph/index.php/degree-granting-programs2

I am not sure about their status, but their degrees are given out by a Royal Family member so I think that they must be OK.